ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd September 2018, 03:50 PM   #41
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Which one is the vampire?
The cute little dog that was always hiding under the bed when the sun was shining. It's a surprise twist with a half gainer at the end. M. Night Shamalamadingdong directs.
Old 2nd September 2018, 08:02 PM   #42
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I am officially jealous as

That there is pretty much on the top of my bucket list

Never been remotely interested in cruise ships, but I would imagine with that area it would be the greatest way to do it, so would make an exception.
If you like remote areas, nature, Alaskan people, mountains, glaciers, and people who dress better than you do, you will like an Alaskan cruise. I did like the guy who wore a tuxedo with shorts on one of the formal nights. It is a bucket list thing though, I am guessing I spent a total of 5k on it for 2 people. Most stuff comes in in barges so not much need for a bridge. those container greenhouses would make a mint there though. One of my tour guides pointed out a store that sold bell peppers for 8$ each.

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 2nd September 2018 at 08:04 PM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2018, 09:03 PM   #43
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
The cute little dog that was always hiding under the bed when the sun was shining. It's a surprise twist with a half gainer at the end. M. Night Shamalamadingdong directs.
Brilliant. It can be a Werepire! No one would ever suspect!!!
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2018, 04:28 AM   #44
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Which one is the vampire?
That would be the Canadian super villain of the piece.
Old 4th September 2018, 04:48 AM   #45
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
That would be the Canadian super villain of the piece.
"No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die, eh?"
Old 4th September 2018, 05:50 AM   #46
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Apologies

I assumed you meant the Antarctic more than the Arctic given the Arctic is already colonized and they are already taking it's resources
On the plus side think of the possible cost overruns building a bridge from US to russia by way of the antarctic!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2018, 05:51 AM   #47
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
I took an Alaskan cruise last week. I think this makes me an expert on the subject. One of the nice things about the deepwater ports in Alaska is that they are open year round because they do no freeze over.
How much of that is the results of icebreakers? The hudson river doesn't freeze over either, but it used to. It is to important to let it.

Same with a lot of the great lakes.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2018, 06:49 AM   #48
ahhell
Graduate Poster

Given that containerized shipping has made cargo ships about the most efficient way to move cargo(both in money and carbon footprint) the only benefit such a bridge would provide is allowing some people so say they drove from England to New England.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2018, 06:56 AM   #49
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I heard the ocean doesn't freeze but maybe I am wrong
Yeah, you are wrong. The north pole sits in the middle of approximately 14.5 million square kilometers of frozen ocean.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2018, 07:44 AM   #50
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
How much of that is the results of icebreakers? The hudson river doesn't freeze over either, but it used to. It is to important to let it.

Same with a lot of the great lakes.
When I was at icy straights near the town of Hoonah they said their port was open year long because it did not freeze and was the only way for the town to be supplied. This is not the artic, just Alaska, and though it is cold, I assume the ports are open year round without icebreakers
Old 4th September 2018, 11:12 AM   #51
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

When I was at icy straights near the town of Hoonah they said their port was open year long because it did not freeze and was the only way for the town to be supplied. This is not the artic, just Alaska, and though it is cold, I assume the ports are open year round without icebreakers
But are they?

For example see

https://coastguardnews.com/freezing-...ne/2018/01/08/

"Based on the number of ice breakers in New England, the Coast Guard has to prioritize any requests for ice breaking assistance. The top priorities are keeping Coast Guard search and rescue stations capable of responding to emergencies, aiding vessels beset in ice, and helping island communities receive fuel, food, and medical supplies by water. The Coast Guard will also break ice to facilitate the safe navigation of cargo ships and tankships, passenger ferries, and commercial fishing vessels."

Seems like saying it is all natural isn't accurate.
Old 4th September 2018, 04:28 PM   #52
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

I was south of anchorage so the area might be different than in the arctic regarding icebreakers. Google doesn't say.
Old 5th September 2018, 06:05 AM   #53
wobs
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
The only vague reason for such a bridge would be to ship rail freight from the Americas to Asia. It's marginal cost would, I guess, be cheaper than sea transport. I'd like to see some numbers on exactly how long it would take to start recouping money. I imaging it would be in the range of decades.
Of course, the Chinese have talked about a rail network stretching from China-Russia-Alaska-Canada-to the rest of the US:
https://anonhq.com/china-plans-8000-...dersea-tunnel/

Doing it for passengers seems uneconomic when you can fly. For Freight - Don't know.
Old 5th September 2018, 07:21 AM   #54
ahhell
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
Of course, the Chinese have talked about a rail network stretching from China-Russia-Alaska-Canada-to the rest of the US:
https://anonhq.com/china-plans-8000-...dersea-tunnel/

Doing it for passengers seems uneconomic when you can fly. For Freight - Don't know.
According to this article, maritime shipping is cheaper.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/e...sts#gs.OmrTJ8Y

Quote:
A study presented by Sea Point Group suggested that maritime transportation could save some $2,000-per container over railway transportation when moving containers between Long Beach CA and Memphis TN.
It seems the best case, rail is would be roughly similar in cost so the bridge wouldn't make sense from an economics standpoint.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2018, 09:13 AM   #55
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
It might be able to be faster while around the same price but that would be a pretty small benefit
Old 5th September 2018, 09:20 AM   #56
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post

https://www.maritime-executive.com/e...sts#gs.OmrTJ8Y

It seems the best case, rail is would be roughly similar in cost so the bridge wouldn't make sense from an economics standpoint.
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
It might be able to be faster while around the same price but that would be a pretty small benefit
If you want speed, you fly.

If you want very large quantities, shipping still wins.

There is also the question of where you are going.

Alaska isn't renowned for its manufactured goods, so presumably you'd be sending stuff from, say Seattle or Vancouver to somewhere like Beijing or Tokyo.

It might be shorter and possibly faster to sail across the Pacific.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2018, 09:49 AM   #57
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
A rail bridge would make more sense than road, but of course there are no railroads in the region either. Perhaps when Trump and Putin conclude FWFTA (Frozen Waste Free Trade Area) there'll be more need.
Next issue: you can't go from Alaska to the "lower 48" (by land) without first going through Trump's arch-nemesis' land.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2018, 09:51 AM   #58
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Next issue: you can't go from Alaska to the "lower 48" (by land) without first going through Trump's arch-nemesis' land.

Mexico?
Germany?
France?
*obviously* not Russia
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2018, 09:58 AM   #59
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

Mexico?
Germany?
France?
*obviously* not Russia

The man Trumps hates the most... besides Mueller, and the free press, and the other heads of states he co-hates the most, and Bob Woodward, and Colin Kaepernick...
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2018, 11:34 AM   #60
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Oh, that one.

Have you considered it's a way of getting goods to Alaska via his bestie?
Old 5th September 2018, 11:45 AM   #61
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Technically possible, but economically very unlikely;it would be very expensive (same with a tunnel) and would probably not pay for itself for lack of traffic.
You are dealing with what is probably the worst weather in the world.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2018, 11:48 AM   #62
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Technically possible, but economically very unlikely;it would be very expensive (same with a tunnel) and would probably not pay for itself for lack of traffic.
You are dealing with what is probably the worst weather in the world.
And a complete lack of anything near a market on either side.

Unless eider ducks have more purchasing power than I understood.
Old 5th September 2018, 12:48 PM   #63
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Oh, that one.

Have you considered it's a way of getting goods to Alaska via his bestie?
Put stuff on a ship bound for Murmansk or St Pete's, go thousands upon thousands of miles by rail along the Transiberian, then over a multi billion dollar bridge to Alaska, all for Trump to avoid Trudeau and send money Putin's way Yeah I can see it.
Old 5th September 2018, 01:39 PM   #64
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Put stuff on a ship bound for Murmansk or St Pete's, go thousands upon thousands of miles by rail along the Transiberian, then over a multi billion dollar bridge to Alaska, all for Trump to avoid Trudeau and send money Putin's way Yeah I can see it.
We are talking about someone who invited a Qanon proponent to the White House, so it's relatively sensible compared to that.
Old 8th September 2018, 08:44 AM   #65
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Funny thing, I was watching this today......

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It notes that one of the bigger issues with a Bearing Strait Bridge is that there is a lack of connecting roads on either side.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 08:52 AM   #66
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
And a complete lack of anything near a market on either side.

Unless eider ducks have more purchasing power than I understood.
I believe they are used as currency by the largest consumer segment in that neighborhood, Kodiak bears.
Old 8th September 2018, 01:43 PM   #67
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post

It notes that one of the bigger issues with a Bearing Strait Bridge is that there is a lack of connecting roads on either side.
But that wouldn't matter if they put a Bullet Train on it.
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 04:31 PM   #68
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Funny thing, I was watching this today......

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Complains about having to use a ferry to cross the Lena river, but ignores having to use a ferry or Eurostar train to get from France to Britain. I'm still certain you could drive across the Bering Strait with a suitable vehicle for much of the year.
Old 8th September 2018, 05:25 PM   #69
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Complains about having to use a ferry to cross the Lena river, but ignores having to use a ferry or Eurostar train to get from France to Britain. I'm still certain you could drive across the Bering Strait with a suitable vehicle for much of the year.
I'm not so sure that in the strictest since of these terms, that such is possible. There is a technical work around in that there are two islands separated by a relatively short distance were the ocean does freeze sufficiently to cross between them periodically. One is Alaskan the other Russian, but you pretty much have to ship your vehicle to the Alaskan island (and then ship it from the Russian island), though you would technically be travelling over a section of the Bering Strait and going from American territory to Russian territory. most of the Bering Strait winter ice is fractured and piecemeal, being pushed southward by winds and ocean currents, perhaps if you had some sort of amphibious vehicle, the longer trip over a lot of ice-boulder slurry could be accomplished, but shifting ice can trap and sink most vessels not specifically designed to handle shifting floating ice masses.

Under the best conditions, hiking across the 20-30 mile wide narrows may occasionally be quite possible, and if you extend driving to include snow mobiles, that may salvage the premise of driving across the Bering Strait. But most I've seen seems to indicate that flat level ice sufficiently thick to bear the weight of vehicles is a very rare occurrence and quite temporary in nature.

Last attempt I'm aware of (trying to cross from Russia to Alaska) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQYnTMKm9BI
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 06:02 PM   #70
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I actually read the wiki article about the Strait after posting. Sounds like crossing over ice is more difficult than I thought due to currents.
Old 8th September 2018, 08:43 PM   #71
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Interesting... I started looking up some info on the strait between Sicily and Italy (Messina), expecting a straightforward "if they haven't done it here..." comparison, since it's much narrower & wider and its location would make the cultural and climatological issues obviously favor a Messina bridge over a Bering one by a wide margin... but it turned out that there's one factor pointing the other way, which could very well swamp all other considerations and make the comparison useless: Messina is five times as deep (which also implies a much steeper slope at the bottom). This is why we look things up first, kids! I wonder if a better comparison can be found somewhere between Asia and Australia...
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 09:07 PM   #72
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The problem with bridges is that they are insufficiently flexible to handle the mighty currents of the straits, and the giganto ice burgers that zoom and swoosh therein. Clearly, then, we need some kind of flexibility...the flexibility for which whales are famous! Buoyant, swimming, floating, clever whales! trained to form a bridge and let cars drive along their backs! Then when not needed, the whales disperse into vapor --as is their wont -- until they whalemaster summons them forth again with the whalesignal. Yes, this is 100% practicable and engineeriwise-safe. We would be fools not to do it! Come! Join me in the glorious whale bridge future! WHALE BRIDGE! Make it happen, or don't!!!
Old 8th September 2018, 09:14 PM   #73
dann
Philosopher

BUILD THAT WHALE!!!
BUILD THAT WHALE!!!
BUILD THAT WHALE!!!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 01:41 PM   #74
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

That's stupid. If they could hold the weight of cars we would already have whale ferries.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 02:06 PM   #75
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
That's stupid. If they could hold the weight of cars we would already have whale ferries.
They can, the problem is they won't.
Old 12th September 2018, 02:07 PM   #76
crescent
Master Poster

I think the preferred term is either "Homosexual whales", or "Non-heteronormative cetaceans". Please update your vocabulary.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 02:07 PM   #77
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

When the destruction of Earth is near-complete and the whales begin making their journey into space, we will finally, truly regret how we treated them.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 02:08 PM   #78
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

It is unprofessional to blame the student for your inability to teach.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 02:36 PM   #79
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It is unprofessional to blame the student for your inability to teach.
It's unstudently of the students to fail to obey me when I command them to learn without being taught. A proper student would absorb the information osmotically from the Akashic record.
Old 12th September 2018, 02:37 PM   #80
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
When the destruction of Earth is near-complete and the whales begin making their journey into space, we will finally, truly regret how we treated them.
If we eat enough whale-meat we'll absorb their spacetravel powers.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events