ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astronomy , pluto

Old 8th September 2018, 01:13 AM   #1
Samson
Philosopher

Pluto is was and always will be a planet

https://phys.org/news/2018-09-pluto-...ed-planet.html

Pluto pulled itself into a round shape, is geologically the second most complex solar orbiting object, and was most disgracefully red carded.

Thank you for this revising revisionism.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 01:15 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Fake Planet.
Old 8th September 2018, 01:18 AM   #3
Venom
Graduate Poster

I told you Niel Degrasse Tyson!

This is not as clear cut as Big Astronomy is trying to make it.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 01:21 AM   #4
erwinl
Master Poster

'Disgracefully red carded'

People are way too much emotionally attached to a situation like this with Pluto.

Face it.
Whatever the criterium is for 'planet' status. The universe is big enough that there will be edge cases, which can mean they will fall on the planet side or the minor planet side of the equation, depending on how you look at it.
Old 8th September 2018, 01:23 AM   #5
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Piss weak planet. If it was at the beach I would kick sand in its face.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 01:33 AM   #6
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

I always thought 'big enough to pull itself into a sphere' was the best and most obvious definition...
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 01:57 AM   #7
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Did you read the link? It is a fiery redhead, look at the picture.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 02:03 AM   #8
fagin
Philosopher

But Goofy would kick your butt.
Old 8th September 2018, 02:05 AM   #9
azzthom
Muse

#JusticeForPluto
azzthom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 02:11 AM   #10
Samson
Philosopher

While this might be regarded as a fun thread, scientific input would be appreciated. I thought the relegation was a disgrace at the time, but New Horizon laid proof like an EGG.
Old 8th September 2018, 02:12 AM   #11
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
I always thought 'big enough to pull itself into a sphere' was the best and most obvious definition...

So the Moon's a planet? Or did somebody/something else pull it into a sphere?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 02:17 AM   #12
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Surely an object named after a minor Disney character cannot be taken serious with a claim to major planethood?!

(The should be an organization called "Panned Planethood", by the way )
Old 8th September 2018, 02:49 AM   #13
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
So the Moon's a planet? Or did somebody/something else pull it into a sphere?
Does the moon orbit the sun?
Without a Ptolomeic eccentricity?
Old 8th September 2018, 02:54 AM   #14
erwinl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Does the moon orbit the sun?
Without a Ptolomeic eccentricity?
No. It orbits the Earth - Moon barycentre.

.....and so does the Earth.
Old 8th September 2018, 03:51 AM   #15
dann
Philosopher

I know, I know! My questions were an argument against the proposed definition of a planet. However, I wouldn't deny that big moons and small planets have many things in common, but their orbits are what distinguishes moons from planets.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 05:06 AM   #16
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

If we make Pluto a planet then we need to make many (read hundreds) of other bodies planets under the same definition.
I make a case that the moon is as much a planet as Earth. The Earth and Moon orbit each other and they together orbit the sun. This means that either both bodies are planets or neither are planets.
Old 8th September 2018, 06:27 AM   #17
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
If we make Pluto a planet then we need to make many (read hundreds) of other bodies planets under the same definition.
I make a case that the moon is as much a planet as Earth. The Earth and Moon orbit each other and they together orbit the sun. This means that either both bodies are planets or neither are planets.
No. You can classify the largest body in the co-orbiting group as the planet and the smaller ones as moons.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 06:45 AM   #18
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Surely an object named after a minor Disney character cannot be taken serious with a claim to major planethood?!

Pluto is far from a minor character, having had shorts built exclusively around his activities, thus elevating him from minor to secondary star status. I think the more important question is, how can Goofy, as an, anthropomorphic dog, have masterful dominance over Pluto, who is also a dog, albeit one with dominant canine tendencies, where in the Disney evolutionary chart did they deviate from one another? Virtually every other creature in that universe is ether anthropomorphic, or at the very least, fully sentient, save poor Pluto. What do they have against him?
Old 8th September 2018, 07:36 AM   #19
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

What a stupid idiot. The article is the scientific equivalent of "nuh-uh!" and any attention paid to it is more than it deserves.

The definition is completely arbitrary and everyone knows it. Pluto isn't a planet for the simple reason that we started finding a bunch of other Plutos. They're out there in the Kuiper belt just like Pluto is. Pluto's not even the most massive; that's Eris. There's also Sedna, Haumea, Makemake, Orcus, and lots of others. We've run out of mythological gods of the underworld to name them after.

Either the solar system has eight planets, or a couple of dozenish. Eight is cleaner. I'd also support dividing them into "Gas giant," "rocky body with atmosphere," and "rocky body without atmosphere," but dropping Pluto is necessary at a minimum.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 07:37 AM   #20
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Pluto couldn't even kick the sand out of it's own orbit.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 07:51 AM   #21
phunk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
No. You can classify the largest body in the co-orbiting group as the planet and the smaller ones as moons.
Especially when the barycenter is inside the larger body.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 08:00 AM   #22
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
Especially when the barycenter is inside the larger body.
Which isn't the case for the Pluto/Charon system, IIRC.
Old 8th September 2018, 08:06 AM   #23
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Either the solar system has eight planets, or a couple of dozenish. Eight is cleaner.
And four is cleaner than eight, so why not say that only Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune are true planets? There's a much cleaner dividing line between Neptune and Earth than there is between Mercury and Pluto.

Choosing your criteria just to reduce the number of planets is cowardly. Be brave. Choose a solar system with 20+ planets.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 08:12 AM   #24
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Which isn't the case for the Pluto/Charon system, IIRC.
It won't be the case with the earth forever either. The moon's orbital radius will eventually increase by roughly 40%, which should put the barycenter a bit outside the earth's surface. It would be strange for this gradual and smooth process to suddenly demote the earth from planet status.
Old 8th September 2018, 08:15 AM   #25
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Pluto couldn't even kick the sand out of it's own orbit.
Pluto has captured multiple moons, including one that's big enough for its gravity to form it into a spheroid. Obviously it's no Jupiter or even a Neptune, but then neither is Earth. Give it some credit here.
Old 8th September 2018, 08:39 AM   #26
sphenisc
Illuminator

It's my theory that the Solar System has little planets on the inside, big ones in the middle, and little ones on the outside.

That is my theory, it is mine and belongs to me, and I own it and what it is, too.

Also, it looks like a Brontosaurus.

Last edited by sphenisc; 8th September 2018 at 08:41 AM.
sphenisc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 08:40 AM   #27
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

It's quite obvious to me that a dwarf planet like Pluto is no more a real planet than a dwarf human is a real human. They just don't have proper legs to stand on.
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 08:58 AM   #28
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I say we go back to seven planets: the Sun, the Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 08:59 AM   #29
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

And four is cleaner than eight, so why not say that only Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune are true planets? There's a much cleaner dividing line between Neptune and Earth than there is between Mercury and Pluto.
Did you read the next sentence? I'd be fine with further divisions. It would be a functionally more useful definition. Gas giants, planets (even if they're orbiting gas giants), rocky bodies. 0.1 kPa surface pressure is a good enough cutoff between the latter two. That would make Titan a planet, but not Mercury or Pluto.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 09:18 AM   #30
Twoflower
New Blood

Has anyone asked Pluto what it thinks?
Twoflower is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 09:23 AM   #31
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Did you read the next sentence? I'd be fine with further divisions.
Sure, but that should be subdivisions within the category of planets. The word has a history, and the current definition should have some relationship to that history. Mars and Jupiter should both be planets, because they have both been planets since the word was first used by the Greeks to describe celestial bodies. So the question is how far past Mars and Jupiter should that definition extend.

Picking your answer on the basis of the number of planets you want there to be in the solar system seems like a poor method.
Old 8th September 2018, 09:26 AM   #32
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

They should have left Pluto a planet with the explanation that it isn't technically a planet, but was grandfathered in since it had been considered a planet for so long.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 10:26 AM   #33
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Sure, but that should be subdivisions within the category of planets. The word has a history, and the current definition should have some relationship to that history.
That's why Pluto's new category is "dwarf planet."
Old 8th September 2018, 11:24 AM   #34
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

That's why Pluto's new category is "dwarf planet."
But it isnít a subcategory, itís a separate category. And it shouldnít be.
Old 8th September 2018, 12:04 PM   #35
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Nm

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 8th September 2018 at 01:10 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 12:30 PM   #36
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

My definition of a planet: Earth.

The only other planets are whatever planetesque objects give earthlings pause, to contemplate the possibility that there are worlds beyond the their terrestrial horizon.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2018, 12:40 PM   #37
Elagabalus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post

It also gave us "Plutonium" which we used to get to Pluto.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Coinkydink! I don't think so!

What are you hiding, Pluto?! Are you hollow like the Earth?!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2018, 09:50 AM   #38
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
https://phys.org/news/2018-09-pluto-...ed-planet.html

Pluto pulled itself into a round shape, is geologically the second most complex solar orbiting object, and was most disgracefully red carded.

Thank you for this revising revisionism.
So Ceres is a planet too?

Okay Samson
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2018, 09:53 AM   #39
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
So Ceres is a planet too?
Yeah that's what I don't get about the Pluto controversy.

We taken planets off "the list" before, everybody knows that right?
Old 10th September 2018, 09:59 AM   #40
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

But I learned Pluto is a planet back in school. So ..
Dr.Sid is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology