ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Elizabeth Warren , Massachusetts politics , presidential candidates , racial isssues

Old 11th September 2018, 06:24 AM   #81
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
Very similar to Navin Johnson (The Jerk), who grew up mistakenly believing he was an African-American. Johnson was the inventor of Opti-Grab for glasses, and became a millionaire just like Warren.
Hey, don't knock the opti-grab. I still have a pair. People exaggerated the cross-eyed side effect.
Old 11th September 2018, 06:25 AM   #82
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Because our ethnicity is one of those things that isn't supposed to matter.
To whom?

https://hr.harvard.edu/diversity-inclusion
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 06:26 AM   #83
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post

...but seriously what is wrong with claiming your ethnic heritage?

My wife is only around 1˝ to 2% Native American (according to 23andme, depending on statistical confidence level) but she is nevertheless a card-carrying member of her tribe. I cannot know with certainty whether this helped her win acceptance from Harvard, but it probably didn't hurt.

Those of you who've never lived in Oklahoma may well be surprised at the number of people here who claim sone tribal affiliation, either formally or else as part of longstanding family lore.
The issue is in cases where there are a limited set of positions, using your genetic heritage as a differentiator. Should being of British Royalty help you?

Of course, then that brings up the question on whether that heritage has historically been a disadvantage, or in some cases currently is - due to human bias, if not institutional. Then the further question becomes how far back to go to correct wrongs, and also whether recruiting to increase diversity increases the educational experience of all members.

As in all things, there aren't easy answers. IMO.

Last edited by LSSBB; 11th September 2018 at 06:27 AM.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 06:28 AM   #84
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I didn't say your use denied access. I'm saying they are denied access through other systematic problems that members of the dominant culture do not face while selling something developed through that culture.
Yeah but that has nothing to do with cultural appropriation.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 06:32 AM   #85
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yeah but that has nothing to do with cultural appropriation.
It has everything to do with cultural appropriation. That is one of the key legs of cultural appropriation.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 07:50 AM   #86
d4m10n
Illuminator

It has everything to do with cultural appropriation. That is one of the key legs of cultural appropriation.
What aspects of Native American culture (if any) has Senator Warren been "appropriating" during her career?

(Assuming that this cultural appropriation subthread is somehow relevant to the OP topic.)

Last edited by d4m10n; 11th September 2018 at 07:51 AM. Reason: added parenthetical
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 08:40 AM   #87
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

What aspects of Native American culture (if any) has Senator Warren been "appropriating" during her career?

(Assuming that this cultural appropriation subthread is somehow relevant to the OP topic.)
Someone brought up cultural appropriation. To explain why this isn't cultural appropriation, you have to explain cultural appropriation.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 08:42 AM   #88
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Of course, then that brings up the question on whether that heritage has historically been a disadvantage, or in some cases currently is - due to human bias, if not institutional. Then the further question becomes how far back to go to correct wrongs, and also whether recruiting to increase diversity increases the educational experience of all members.
I'm still waiting for my reparations from the Saracens for killing my ancestors at Tours...

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 08:52 AM   #89
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I'm still waiting for my reparations from the Saracens for killing my ancestors at Tours...
I hope you get it.
Old 11th September 2018, 09:10 AM   #90
Belz...
Fiend God

Make up your mind. First you said that the culture being appropriated had to have been oppressed, which I addressed, and then you said that "the minority culture is denied opportunity to exploit their own heritage", which I denied, and then you switched to "I'm saying they are denied access through other systematic problems that members of the dominant culture do not face while selling something developed through that culture", which is no longer about cultural appropriation. You don't seem to know what you're arguing.

Old 11th September 2018, 09:11 AM   #91
Belz...
Fiend God

I hope you get it.
No you don't. It'd be a ridiculous request. I'm not those persons and neither are they.

Old 11th September 2018, 09:25 AM   #92
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Very similar to Navin Johnson (The Jerk), who grew up mistakenly believing he was an African-American. Johnson was the inventor of Opti-Grab for glasses, and became a millionaire just like Warren.
Yes, yes...”very” similar.

Maybe just stick to quote dumping.
Old 11th September 2018, 10:09 AM   #93
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
I agree with her most of the time, and think she would do a fine job as POTUS. Yet I have an even more superficial reason for thinking she would have a difficult time winning -her voice. It sounds like a caricature of a condescending grade school teacher's. I would that that were not the case- but I find the sound of her voice distracts from the content of her words.
Me too**. I also find Hillary!'s monotone off-putting.

**about the voice, not about her doing a fine job as POTUS

Last edited by carlitos; 11th September 2018 at 10:58 AM. Reason: clarification on "me too" moment.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 10:09 AM   #94
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Yes, yes...”very” similar.

Maybe just stick to quote dumping.
If he had gone with the full eggplant scene it would have worked better. Although the why does he hate these cans scene is far funnier . . .

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 10:16 AM   #95
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
If he had gone with the full eggplant scene it would have worked better. Although the why does he hate these cans scene is far funnier . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcwz8-EfFYE

Old 11th September 2018, 10:23 AM   #96
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Make up your mind. First you said that the culture being appropriated had to have been oppressed, which I addressed, and then you said that "the minority culture is denied opportunity to exploit their own heritage", which I denied, and then you switched to "I'm saying they are denied access through other systematic problems that members of the dominant culture do not face while selling something developed through that culture", which is no longer about cultural appropriation. You don't seem to know what you're arguing.
It is called clarification. The oppression is the systematic denial of access. That is cultural appropriation. I tried to speed through it, but I wasn't clear. It is why the adoption of rock n roll (while record producers denied contracts to African americans) and hair braids (Jenner is a trendsetter while women are harangued for violating dress policy for decades) are appropriation.
Old 11th September 2018, 10:25 AM   #97
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

No you don't. It'd be a ridiculous request. I'm not those persons and neither are they.
You can't tell me what my hopes are.
Old 11th September 2018, 10:26 AM   #98
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
You're not carnival personnel!

Damn, what a great scene. Thanks for proving my point . . . whatever it was.

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 10:36 AM   #99
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Then the further question becomes how far back to go to correct wrongs, and also whether recruiting to increase diversity increases the educational experience of all members.
A sticky wicket indeed.

If you go back to 1890s, at least one of my kids' ancestors was on the "Final Rolls of Citizens and Freedmen of the Five Civilized Tribes in Indian Territory." Between then and the 1990s, her descendants became more-or-less fully assimilated into mainstream white American Christian culture. At what point were various historical wrongs finally righted? Hard to say.

p.s. I'm still unclear on why people think Sen. Warren did something wrong.
Old 11th September 2018, 10:39 AM   #100
Belz...
Fiend God

It is called clarification. The oppression is the systematic denial of access. That is cultural appropriation.
No, that's not what cultural appropriation is.

You can't tell me what my hopes are.
Yes I can. You know you were replying to a facetious comment. Stop it.

Old 11th September 2018, 10:40 AM   #101
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

She didn't do anything wrong. A political opponent tried to claim she did and the president made up a childish nick name that stuck.

Old 11th September 2018, 10:45 AM   #102
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

No, that's not what cultural appropriation is.

Yes I can. You know you were replying to a facetious comment. Stop it.
Then we will just have to agree to disagree.

Just because you meant it flippantly doesn't mean I don't take it seriously.
Old 11th September 2018, 10:52 AM   #103
Belz...
Fiend God

Then we will just have to agree to disagree.
No, we don't. You're wrong by definition. That's simply not what the term means.

Quote:
Just because you meant it flippantly doesn't mean I don't take it seriously.
Bob, I mentioned that I'm waiting for reparations from "Saracens" for an event that transpired 1100+ years ago.

Think, please.

Old 11th September 2018, 10:56 AM   #104
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

No, we don't. You're wrong by definition. That's simply not what the term means.

Bob, I mentioned that I'm waiting for reparations from "Saracens" for an event that transpired 1100+ years ago.

Think, please.
I understand you don't think you need it. I think you do.
Old 11th September 2018, 11:02 AM   #105
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Think, please.
How about this definition...

Where people from a group that oppressed or oppresses another group mimics or represents cultural artifacts or manners of the oppressed group in a way that expresses or reinforces psychological elements of the racist ideology inherent in the colonialist project responsible for the oppression.
Old 11th September 2018, 11:04 AM   #106
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

As long as she doesn't attempt to install slot machines in the Senate chamber she'll be OK.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 11:04 AM   #107
Belz...
Fiend God

I understand you don't think you need it. I think you do.
That'd mean that every human on Earth would be owed reparations by someone, just because an ancestor of theirs was wronged by someone at some time.

Yes, another case of a "principle" you want to push to its full, logical and ridiculous limit, pragmatic and reasonable considerations be damned.

Old 11th September 2018, 11:06 AM   #108
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

That'd mean that every human on Earth would be owed reparations by someone, just because an ancestor of theirs was wronged by someone at some time.

Yes, another case of a "principle" you want to push to its full, logical and ridiculous limit, pragmatic and reasonable considerations be damned.
Correct
Old 11th September 2018, 11:07 AM   #109
carlitos
"más divertido"

Why stop at humans? Let's pay the remaining Bison reparations.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 11:07 AM   #110
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Why stop at humans? Let's pay the remaining Bison reparations.
I'm open to the idea
Old 11th September 2018, 11:08 AM   #111
Stacyhs
Philosopher

A sticky wicket indeed.

If you go back to 1890s, at least one of my kids' ancestors was on the "Final Rolls of Citizens and Freedmen of the Five Civilized Tribes in Indian Territory." Between then and the 1990s, her descendants became more-or-less fully assimilated into mainstream white American Christian culture. At what point were various historical wrongs finally righted? Hard to say.

They must condemn Warren in order to support Dear Leader.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 11:10 AM   #112
Belz...
Fiend God

How about this definition...

Where people from a group that oppressed or oppresses another group mimics or represents cultural artifacts or manners of the oppressed group in a way that expresses or reinforces psychological elements of the racist ideology inherent in the colonialist project responsible for the oppression.
Examples?

Correct
Yeah, you're not supposed to admit to trolling, usually.

Either that, or you've never figured out that principles are actually interconnected, and can't therefore be taken to their logical limits.

Old 11th September 2018, 11:13 AM   #113
C_Felix
Master Poster

Who
the
hell
cares?
Old 11th September 2018, 11:25 AM   #114
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
As long as she doesn't attempt to install slot machines in the Senate chamber she'll be OK.
I'm going to pass this one on to the Warren 2020 campaign. Thanks.

Last edited by kellyb; 11th September 2018 at 11:40 AM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 11:32 AM   #115
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I'm going to pass this one on the the Warren 2020 campaign. Thanks.
Please tell them I'd like to see Indian taco trucks on every corner.
Old 11th September 2018, 11:33 AM   #116
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Examples?

Yeah, you're not supposed to admit to trolling, usually.

Either that, or you've never figured out that principles are actually interconnected, and can't therefore be taken to their logical limits.
The latter
Old 11th September 2018, 11:42 AM   #117
Belz...
Fiend God

The latter

You really should interact with some humans, then.

Old 11th September 2018, 11:49 AM   #118
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Diversity admissions and hiring in academia is in a stupid place right now. Both Warren and Harvard participated cynically in this stupidity. In the end, their behavior didn't mean much. But it does let Warren in for some pointing and laughing. The epithet, "Fauxcahontas", is the stupid prize she won. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and leaving a paper trail, basically.

There's really no way for her to fix it, I think. Other than going back in time and not putting it on her application. The genie is already out of the bottle.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2018, 11:51 AM   #119
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Diversity admissions and hiring in academia is in a stupid place right now. Both Warren and Harvard participated cynically in this stupidity. In the end, their behavior didn't mean much. But it does let Warren in for some pointing and laughing. The epithet, "Fauxcahontas", is the stupid prize she won. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and leaving a paper trail, basically.

There's really no way for her to fix it, I think. Other than going back in time and not putting it on her application. The genie is already out of the bottle.
Here's the thing, though: did she really think she had indian ancestry? If so, where's the stupid game?

Old 11th September 2018, 11:55 AM   #120
d4m10n
Illuminator

Here's the thing, though: did she really think she had indian ancestry? If so, where's the stupid game?
My question exactly.

As I've mentioned more than once, loads of phenotypically white people have some significant native ancestry, especially here in Oklahoma.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics