ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags favorite books , recommended books

Old Today, 01:28 AM   #521
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Just finished The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins. Contemporary fantasy/horror or something. It's bizarre. It's weird. It's strange. It's great.

MUCH better than I expected. Enjoyed it immensely. Would love to know what others think.
Recommended!

12 young children were kidnapped by Father and raised in His library, as librarians. Each with their own area of expertise. Father's lessons were often cruel and violent. Carolyn, the main character, has mastered languages. All of them. They all believe Father to be God.
Then Father goes missing.
This sounds interesting just based on your descriptive words alone. Weird! Strange! Bizarre! I will take note of the title and thank you for the recommendation.

If you would humor me, I would like to suggest a title for you that I read when it was released last year, one which also could be described as Weird, etc. "Nothing to See Here," by Kevin Wilson. I read the review in the NYTimes Review of Books and went out and purchased it that same day, something I had never done before. The review began: "Good lord, I can't believe how good this book is."

GoodReads describes it as: "a moving and uproarious novel about a woman who finds meaning in her life when she begins caring for two children with remarkable and disturbing abilities."

It's not a meaty book. It's fun. I finished in cover to cover in one day, because I couldn't put it down. Weird. Bizarre. I liked it a lot, and thought about it for weeks afterwards. I will enjoy reading it again, too. Not sure if it's your cup of tea - but your suggestion made me think of it.

Cheers!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts