ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Today, 03:04 AM   #481
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Dominic Cummings self-isolates after showing coronavirus symptoms
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:10 AM   #482
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

We need a real government, not one where the PM and the Health Minister don't follow their own advice and end up working on their laptop from a cupboard. They leave Gove,, the goldfish on speed to lie to the press. God save us all!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:10 AM   #483
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
But at least Johnson isn't bragging about the ratings for his virus update briefings. I guess that's... Something?
Yup. Low bar though it is to clear Johnson is at least better than Trump. I've taken small comfort in that for a while, now.
Old Today, 03:14 AM   #484
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ivor the Engineer View Post
Any evidence for this claim?
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c...ever-spz6sc9vb
Old Today, 03:18 AM   #485
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ivor the Engineer View Post
Do you think the minority of people not following the government's advice would behave significantly differently if, say, Jeremy Corbyn had won in December 2019?
I don't think the point is about who won the election. I think the point is about how there are consequences if you spend decades eroding people's trust in experts, science, and their leaders.
Old Today, 03:33 AM   #486
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
And now Cummings is in self-isolation as well, after developing symptoms.

https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/sta...54527602282496 (Daily Hail's political editor).

Edit: Whoops, hadn't refreshed to see the thread had rolled over to page 13 with the above news.

Last edited by KDLarsen; Today at 03:34 AM.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:36 AM   #487
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post

PDF of article https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...r/download?p=1
Old Today, 04:27 AM   #488
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Dominic Cummings self-isolates after showing coronavirus symptoms
That news, combined with Mrs Don returning from Lidl with two large bars of Ritter Sport have made my morning

edited to add.....

Does this also mean it's jumped another species barrier ?

Last edited by The Don; Today at 04:34 AM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:28 AM   #489
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
And now Cummings is in self-isolation as well, after developing symptoms.

https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/sta...54527602282496 (Daily HailHeil's political editor).

Edit: Whoops, hadn't refreshed to see the thread had rolled over to page 13 with the above news.
Fixed your typo
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:30 AM   #490
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

nevermind
Old Today, 06:10 AM   #491
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

We are being directly asked by Michael Gove to follow the advice of experts. Michael Gove, a man who famously told the nation "we've had enough of experts"

Is it any wonder people aren't following their advice, they've spent a decade proving selfservingly claiming they are untrustworthy.
FTFY

ETA: actually, I may have misinterpreted who you're saying was proven to be untrustworthy. In which case no correction necessary.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills

Last edited by P.J. Denyer; Today at 06:13 AM.
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:47 AM   #492
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

When bad news becomes good news:

Destination Taiwan is hurting (Dec 15, 2019)

Quote:
Taiwanese love to travel, but the region as a tourism destination is hurting.
The tourism deficit refers to the difference between the amount of money Taiwanese spend on travel abroad and the amount spent by foreign visitors and domestic tourists.

Beijing announced in late July that starting Aug. 1 (2019) it would suspend a program that allowed individual tourists from 47 Chinese cities to travel to Taiwan and the ban impacted Taiwan’s tourism in the third quarter, according to the central bank.

Since April 2018, China had been the top source of foreign visitors but in September, Chinese became the second largest group after Japanese. This shows the Chinese travel ban has had a significant effect on Taiwan’s inbound travel sector, according to the central bank.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:44 AM   #493
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Nigel Farage Tweeted

I hear that the UK Government are buying ventilators from China, yes China. Can this be true?
Old Today, 07:45 AM   #494
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Followed by lots of indignation from his 'followers' on Twitter about how we should refuse to use foreign ventilators and insist on British ones if we are taken in to hospital.
Old Today, 09:29 AM   #495
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Glenn Beck: 'I'd rather die' from coronavirus 'than kill the country' from economic shutdown

Promises promises
Old Today, 09:35 AM   #496
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Yesterday both Michael Gove & Matt Hancock proclaimed that the UK had reached 10,000 coronavirus tests a day.
Today Health Minister Helen Whately confessed that the actual number was only 7000

This is Helen Whately who today was thanking frontline healthcare workers (including nurses) for everything they are doing right now.

This is the same Helen Whately who voted against giving NHS nurses a pay rise and cheered in the House of Commons along with the other Tory MPs when the pay rise was turned down.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; Today at 09:37 AM.
Old Today, 10:11 AM   #497
Ulf Nereng
Thinker

Thinks are looking better here in Norway. The number of daily confirmed cases is shrinking steadily from the peak 6 days ago. It fits what we know about how the peak will come about two weeks after a complete shutdown. There have been 26 deaths so far, but with 104 people still in intensive care that's expected to rise. Average age of those who have died is 85 with a span from 62 to 95.

I'm very satisfied with how the government has handled it so far. Our national health system was not overwhelmed.
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:30 AM   #498
catsmate
No longer the 1

Fruit and veg ‘will run out’ unless Britain charters planes to fly in farm workers from eastern Europe

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...eastern-europe
Don't worry I'm sure BoJo will recruit out-of-work Britons to do the job.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:32 AM   #499
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Now, here's some political leadership: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/coron...e20200327-1602

(Stolen off NZ, of course, but good on ya!)
Ireland implemented such a ban before New Zealand proposed it.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:32 AM   #500
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Haha!

Post of the week!
Old Today, 10:37 AM   #501
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
That news, combined with Mrs Don returning from Lidl with two large bars of Ritter Sport have made my morning

edited to add.....

Pity about the Belgian cat.

How's shopping in the UK? Calm here, shops empty of non-staff but full of stuff.
Old Today, 10:38 AM   #502
catsmate
No longer the 1

Followed by lots of indignation from his 'followers' on Twitter about how we should refuse to use foreign ventilators and insist on British ones if we are taken in to hospital.
I thoroughly approve.
Old Today, 10:47 AM   #503
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Nigel Farage Tweeted

I hear that the UK Government are buying ventilators from China, yes China. Can this be true?
From the country with the most experience with respiratory viruses in general and this respiratory virus in particular? Doesn't seem like a bad idea.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics