ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Tony Abbott

Old 14th September 2015, 04:53 AM   #1
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Australian Politics - The Turnbull period.

It's official - Turnbull has just been elected PM by 54 votes to 44 and Julie Bishop is the deputy PM.

Last edited by psionl0; 14th September 2015 at 05:10 AM.
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2015, 04:59 AM   #2
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Treasurer will be interesting. Morrison was earlier reported as staying loyal to Abbott, but I'll bet he gets the job. Dutton? In the bin I hope. His gaffe and Abbott's laughing support may well have been the catalyst.

I wonder if Bishop and Turnbull have a "Kiribilli Agreement"? I think so.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2015, 05:04 AM   #3
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I'm not sure this is good for Labour. Tony could not have beaten Bill Who? in a general election. Turnbull might.

In fact, if Turnbull wants to win the next election, he will call for an immediate conscience vote on gay marriage. Pass that, then call an election.

He might have to do something with Syrian refugees too. And we will have a Liberal party government until 2020.

But I can't be sad that Abbott is out.
Old 14th September 2015, 05:08 AM   #4
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I'm not sure this is good for Labour.
I don't think that Jeremy Corbyn has anything to worry about. OTOH Labor does.

Tony could not have beaten Bill Who? in a general election. Turnbull might.
Yup.
Old 14th September 2015, 05:15 AM   #5
icerat
Philosopher

I'm not sure this is good for Labour. Tony could not have beaten Bill Who? in a general election. Turnbull might.

In fact, if Turnbull wants to win the next election, he will call for an immediate conscience vote on gay marriage. Pass that, then call an election.

He might have to do something with Syrian refugees too. And we will have a Liberal party government until 2020.

But I can't be sad that Abbott is out.
I've not supported the liberal party since Sallyanne Atkinson was Lord Mayor of Brisbane.

I worked with Malcolm during the Australian Republican Movement days, and if he can get his personal policy beliefs in to Liberal party policy, then it is a party I would vote for, and I would vote for Malcolm personally.
Old 14th September 2015, 05:20 AM   #6
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

A November election will be a disaster for Labor. There needs to be a quick transition to Plibesek for Labor to win, and this will not happen before November.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2015, 05:23 AM   #7
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Right now I wouldn't vote for either of them.
Old 14th September 2015, 05:34 AM   #8
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Welded on Lib supporters I know not happy.
Old 14th September 2015, 06:05 AM   #9
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Well, that makes me a tiny little bit optimistic about the liberal party actually being Liberal.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2015, 10:35 AM   #10
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Yes, the Liberal Party electing a Liberal as it's leader. I never!!
wombatwal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2015, 04:10 PM   #11
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I love the people commenting this morning who don't know how parliament works.

"We didn't elect him!". Well, no, we didn't elect any Prime Minister. We elected the Party that elects the Prime Minister.
Old 14th September 2015, 04:28 PM   #12
devnull
Philosopher

"We didn't elect him!". Well, no, we didn't elect any Prime Minister. We elected the Party that elects the Prime Minister.
To be fair, even the former PM had issues with this it seems.

He also "expected to win" and "was confident he had 45" so he couldnt do basic math either, but I digress.
"Here we go again.... semantic and syntactic chicanery and sophistic sleight of tongue and pen.... the bedazzling magic of appearing to be saying something when in fact all that is happening is diverting attention from the attempts at shoving god through the trapdoor of illogic and wishful thinking." - Leumas
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2015, 06:09 PM   #13
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Still no sign of Tony. Until he resigns, Malcolm can't be sworn in.

He will also be the shortest serving PM since Billy McMahon. Not a good look.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; 14th September 2015 at 06:15 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2015, 07:10 PM   #14
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Supping from the Poisoned Chalice

I really don't think that Mr Turnbull has any hope in the role.

He could renege on some of the worst of the Lib's recent policies, i.e. build the NBN instead of the hopelessly mixed up fraudband project; stop the attacks on the most vulnerable etc...

But if he did, the ultra right-wingers in the party will fall on him like a pack of rabid dogs. (Any guesses how long it would be before Scott Morrison would be in the role in those circumstances?)

So, he has to continue with stuff like we heard last night "We failed to sell our message."

The problem is, Australia understood the message just fine, we just won't stand for it.

I'm expecting no changes, a temporary blip in the polls, and then a continued slide to oblivion.
Old 14th September 2015, 07:18 PM   #15
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
A November election will be a disaster for Labor. There needs to be a quick transition to Plibesek for Labor to win, and this will not happen before November.
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
To be fair, even the former PM had issues with this it seems.

He also "expected to win" and "was confident he had 45" so he couldnt do basic math either, but I digress.
OT but is that really Australian spelling?

How would you spell words like:

centre, metre and favourite?

Back on topic: An Aussie friend of mine was opining last night that the margin of victory was too small for Turnbull to consider himself safe and that he expects Abbot to mount a leadership challenge of his own.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2015, 07:25 PM   #16
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post

Back on topic: An Aussie friend of mine was opining last night that the margin of victory was too small for Turnbull to consider himself safe and that he expects Abbot to mount a leadership challenge of his own.
Congratulations. You have spotted an interesting cultural anomaly.

The whole story of why it is spelled Labor.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/big-quest...829714837.html

Quote:
Name changes[edit]
The ALP adopted the formal name "Australian Labour Party" in 1908, but changed the spelling to "Labor" in 1912. While it is standard practice in Australian English both today and at the time to spell the word "labour" with a "u", the party was influenced by the United States labor movement, and a prominent figure in the early history of the party, the American-born King O'Malley, was successful in having the spelling "modernised".[13] The change also made it easier to distinguish references to the party from the labour movement in general.[14] (See also Spelling in Australian English.)

In South Australia the United Labor Party became the South Australian branch of the Australian Labor Party on 14 September 1917.[15]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austra...y#Name_changes

So I blame America.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2015, 07:28 PM   #17
a_unique_person

Won't happen. The margin is bigger than Abbott had when he became leader (1 vote). Abbott is finished and the conservative faction has plenty of alternatives to choose from who are more rounded as political leaders, mainly Morrison. Abbott is turns out was capable of little more than repetitious slogans and head kicking. OK in opposition but severely lacking when you are supposed to be a leader. Right up to the end he was still going on about "Stopped the boats". People wanted him to do that, they don't like to be reminded of it all the time. Stopping boats is a very messy, inhuman process.
Old 14th September 2015, 07:33 PM   #18
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Won't happen. The margin is bigger than Abbott had when he became leader (1 vote). Abbott is finished and the conservative faction has plenty of alternatives to choose from who are more rounded as political leaders, mainly Morrison. Abbott is turns out was capable of little more than repetitious slogans and head kicking. OK in opposition but severely lacking when you are supposed to be a leader. Right up to the end he was still going on about "Stopped the boats". People wanted him to do that, they don't like to be reminded of it all the time. Stopping boats is a very messy, inhuman process.
Ah, so he's like the embodiment of their guilty consciences?

Thanks for the interesting posts.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2015, 07:47 PM   #19
devnull
Philosopher

Nah, 10 is a thumping. We wont see Abbott again.
"Here we go again.... semantic and syntactic chicanery and sophistic sleight of tongue and pen.... the bedazzling magic of appearing to be saying something when in fact all that is happening is diverting attention from the attempts at shoving god through the trapdoor of illogic and wishful thinking." - Leumas
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2015, 08:01 PM   #20
a_unique_person

Quote:
One leading business figure picked it earlier this year when he said that "Tony Abbott tried being prime minister but found he preferred being Opposition leader".
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-1...abbott/6777070

He has appeared in public.

Quote:
Abbott hits out at "febrile" media culture "that rewards treachery".
Old 14th September 2015, 08:02 PM   #21
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Has anyone posted this yet?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...of-tony-abbott

First Dog pulls no punches.

Quote:
Float away Tony you piece of political flotsam, you awkward smear on the nation's couch. Get out and don't come back.
Old 14th September 2015, 08:03 PM   #22
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Nah, 10 is a thumping. We wont see Abbott again.
Indeed. I wonder what Tone will do now. Surely resign and take up, what? His previous occupation was allegedly a journalist. News Ltd hack? He'd be in good company. Some conservative Think Tank job?

Whatever, as a person of influence, he's finished.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 14th September 2015, 08:48 PM   #23
devnull
Philosopher

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliame...s_Seating_Plan

Abbott moved to back bench, but why is Hockey still involved? Turnbull trashed him, I cant believe he still wants to be involved!
Old 14th September 2015, 10:28 PM   #24
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Be afraid, Australia, be very *********** afraid:

A BROMANCE is already blossoming between Malcolm Turnbull and New Zealand’s prime minister.

During his first speech after toppling Tony Abbott, Mr Turnbull pointed to John Key as an example of a successful leader.

Link
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2015, 01:36 AM   #25
alex04
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Malcolm Turnbull has taken an instant lead as preferred prime minister in the first poll taken since his swearing in on Tuesday.

The snap SMS Morgan poll showed 70 per cent of voters felt Mr Turnbull was the better prime minister, well ahead of 24 per cent for Labor leader Bill Shorten.

Six per cent of voters indicated someone else or could not say.

Even Labor voters were pleased with the change, with 50 per cent endorsing him as the better prime minister over 44 per cent for Mr Shorten.

Across all states, Mr Turnbull was most popular in Western Australia (76 per cent) and least popular in the ACT (61 per cent).

The poll involved 1204 voters and was conducted on Tuesday afternoon.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1227529072331
alex04 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2015, 01:50 AM   #26
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yup, that's exactly what I was worried about. If he's smart he'll call a November election.
Old 15th September 2015, 01:51 AM   #27
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Yup, that's exactly what I was worried about. If he's smart he'll call a November election.
I think it's a certainty.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 15th September 2015, 01:54 AM   #28
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Personally I voted Greens followed by Sex Party followed by Labor in Scullin, not that it would have mattered where I put Giles from Labor, they could put up a penguin in Scullin and still win without going to preferences.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2015, 05:46 PM   #29
a_unique_person

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliame...s_Seating_Plan

Abbott moved to back bench, but why is Hockey still involved? Turnbull trashed him, I cant believe he still wants to be involved!
Because he isn't going to resign. Turnbull tipped to give him the Communications Minister job instead. Turnbull must have had a smile on his face when he thought that one up. I would guess Joes' argument is that he was only obeying orders.
Old 15th September 2015, 09:16 PM   #30
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

It appears that the switch to Turnbull has given the Libs a 5% boost in the upcoming Canning by-election.

Quote:
Liberal candidate Andrew Hastie has extended his lead by five points over Labor's Matt Keogh on a two-party preferred basis to 57-43.

A ReachTEL poll for Seven West Media surveyed more than 1000 Canning residents on Monday night during the leadership spill, asking them to consider a scenario where Mr Turnbull was prime minister.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa...-canning-poll/
Old 16th September 2015, 07:00 AM   #31
Robin
Philosopher

It is spelt "labour" for normal uses, but the ALP has been "Labor" for more than a hundred years now. Not sure why.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 07:09 AM   #32
Robin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Welded on Lib supporters I know not happy.
But where are they going to go?
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2015, 07:25 AM   #33
Robin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Indeed. I wonder what Tone will do now. Surely resign and take up, what? His previous occupation was allegedly a journalist. News Ltd hack? He'd be in good company. Some conservative Think Tank job?

Whatever, as a person of influence, he's finished.
He could still make trouble. I know he said he wouldn't, but then again, he also said he had never leaked against anyone - which is a joke.
Old 16th September 2015, 07:30 AM   #34
devnull
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
he also said he had never leaked against anyone - which is a joke.
See, that wasnt him, it was Credlin.

See the game he plays?
Old 16th September 2015, 06:11 PM   #35
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
It is spelt "labour" for normal uses, but the ALP has been "Labor" for more than a hundred years now. Not sure why.
The reason for that was posted in the old thread.
Old 16th September 2015, 06:17 PM   #36
angrysoba
Philosophile

The reason for that was posted in the old thread.
It was posted here, in this thread:

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Congratulations. You have spotted an interesting cultural anomaly.

The whole story of why it is spelled Labor.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/big-quest...829714837.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austra...y#Name_changes

So I blame America.

Old 16th September 2015, 06:20 PM   #37
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

My mistake. I got the two mixed up. They're really not that different, just with different titles...
Old 16th September 2015, 10:11 PM   #38
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

My mistake. I got the two mixed up. They're really not that different, just with different titles...

Abbott and Turnbull are radically different if the polls are right.
Quote:
The ReachTEL national survey of 3278 people, conducted on Tuesday night, found the coalition’s primary vote jumped three percentage points to 43.3 per cent, with the ALP on 35.5 per cent (down 1.6 points) and the Greens 11.9 (down 1.5 points).

On a two-party preferred basis, the coalition and the Labor Party are each on 50 per cent. The coalition has been stuck between 45 and 48 per cent in seven previous ReachTEL national surveys.

Mr Turnbull was the preferred PM for 62 per cent, compared with 38 per cent for Mr Shorten — a near reversal of last month’s survey that had Mr Shorten ahead of Mr Abbott 58-42.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/...er-new-leader/
Old 16th September 2015, 11:55 PM   #39
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Abbott and Turnbull are radically different if the polls are right.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/...er-new-leader/
I think arthwollipot meant that the threads are not so different.

Old 17th September 2015, 12:00 AM   #40
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It was a joke cashing in on the frequenly-made comment that the Liberal Party won't change much just because it's got a new head.

#explainthejoke

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics