ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Tony Abbott

Old 8th December 2015, 04:05 PM   #161
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Former treasurer Joe Hockey set to be named US ambassador

So - is this a bad idea, or the worst idea ever?
Rewarding failure.
wombatwal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2015, 04:06 PM   #162
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Tony Abbott could have won the next election.

Dog time again.
He is delusional. Some politicians are so full of themselves that they can't see the forest for the trees. Rudd was also a fine example of that.
wombatwal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2015, 09:26 PM   #163
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

The leaks are starting under the new man.
Tony don't go yet, you may be needed.
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...09-glj650.html
Old 14th December 2015, 08:27 PM   #164
Dabop
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by wombatwal View Post
He is delusional. Some politicians are so full of themselves that they can't see the forest for the trees. Rudd was also a fine example of that.
Originally Posted by abc.net.au/news/2015-12-08
Tony Abbott says voters 'overwhelmingly' want him to remain in public life
Delusional???
He's stark raving mad!!!

Shorten probably would have liked him to stay as Lib leader- that way he could have won the next election hands down- LOL- A rotting corpse could have won the next election if abbott had stayed on....
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2015, 08:52 PM   #165
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
Delusional???
He's stark raving mad!!!

Shorten probably would have liked him to stay as Lib leader- that way he could have won the next election hands down- LOL- A rotting corpse could have won the next election if abbott had stayed on....
A delusional person is ''mad.''
Google delusions.
Old 14th December 2015, 08:54 PM   #166
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

The Tech. people have this Coalition NBN all worked out.
Quote:
Fifield ignores evidence in angry NBN response.
https://delimiter.com.au/2015/12/15/...-nbn-response/
Old 15th December 2015, 02:55 AM   #167
Dabop
Critical Thinker

A delusional person is ''mad.''
Google delusions.
Just the degree of madness involved...
delusional , as opposed to completely barking....

sorta like a Lada and a Lamborghini are both cars, both start with L
but they are worlds apart in degree....

Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2015, 04:17 AM   #168
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Hi Dabop and welcome. Where are you from?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2015, 07:18 AM   #169
Dabop
Critical Thinker

Currently Qld, but moving back down south in (counts on fingers) 6 days
Old 15th December 2015, 05:02 PM   #170
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I'm going to say that Rudd wasn't as delusional as Abbott. Rudd was abrasive and abusive, and perhaps failed to recognise how that affected the people who had to try and work with him. Abbott is in a totally different universe from the rest of us.
Old 15th December 2015, 08:06 PM   #171
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
Just the degree of madness involved...
delusional , as opposed to completely barking....

sorta like a Lada and a Lamborghini are both cars, both start with L
but they are worlds apart in degree....

Oh, sorry Dabop, did not realise you were new. WELCOME.
Delusions are a symptom of a psychosis, not degrees of madness.
Just trying to keep to the facts.
Old 16th December 2015, 03:31 PM   #172
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Yes, Super Slow Fraudband, brought to you by the ''Cheaper, Sooner, Faster'' Party. From The First Dog on the Moon.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ret-underpants
Old 28th December 2015, 09:34 PM   #173
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Two ministers resign today. Just another day of chaos amongst the adults. Here's to Mal Brough and Jamie Briggs.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2015, 09:59 PM   #174
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Two ministers resign today. Just another day of chaos amongst the adults. Here's to Mal Brough and Jamie Briggs.
So Briggs tried to root a public servant while on official business? Good riddance. He won't be seen from again. Brough is guilty as sin and should have fallen on the sword long ago. Disgraceful that he waited until the deadest time of the year for news. Similarly, despite his redneck connections, he won't be seen again. Is Turnbull's halo slipping?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2015, 11:17 PM   #175
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I confess to a certain amount of Liberal party based schadenfreude today.
Old 29th December 2015, 03:14 AM   #176
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Leaves an opportunity for Malcolm to reshuffle the faces again. Plus he has two vacant slots he can fill with his own "captain's picks" and not the ball-and-chain dregs he was lumbered with to allow his coup to happen.

I also imagine we won't be seeing Tony Abbott being given any responsibility. Although it would be sweet, sweet irony if Malcolm suddenly changed his mind and made all-fiber NBN the preferred goal and put Tony in charge of making it happen.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2015, 05:31 AM   #177
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

The AFP should have investigated the Slipper Affair properly in 2012. What an incompetent or politically compromised lot they are.
Old 29th December 2015, 05:32 AM   #178
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

The AFP should have investigated the Slipper Affair properly in 2012. What an incompetent or politically compromised lot they are.
Underfunded and undertrained as well.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2015, 03:57 PM   #179
a_unique_person

Eric Abetz asks for Abbott to return to the Ministry.
Quote:
Eric Abetz calls for Tony Abbott to return in Malcolm Turnbull cabinet reshuffle

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/federal-pol...#ixzz3vklKwLg9
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2015, 04:02 PM   #180
The Fool
Penultimate Amazing

2 chances

Lose half your IQ....Ask me how.
The Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2015, 04:38 PM   #181
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

One can only hope! Abbott is disruptive and disloyal enough on the backbench. In the Ministry watch for a replay of Rudd-Gillard-Rudd. That would be deliciously ironic.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 2nd January 2016, 06:21 AM   #182
Dabop
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
One can only hope! Abbott is disruptive and disloyal enough on the backbench. In the Ministry watch for a replay of Rudd-Gillard-Rudd. That would be deliciously ironic.
thanks for the welcome- its ironic as I been lurking for over 5 years- so I `know' many of you quite well- you just havent gotten to know me yet ;-)

I actually had an account over at the former jref forums, but I dont think I actually ever posted with it- just used it to `read' threads

It would be ironic to see the libs do the same `leader a' `leader b' swapping they were so scathing about the labor party doing

but then we all know that the libs have no compunction in stealing Labor ideas- they just seem rather inept in actually implementing them- say like like the nbn LOL
Old 22nd January 2016, 06:17 PM   #183
alex04
Critical Thinker

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-1...-order/7099756

I'm quite interested in seeing what Brandis has to hide.
alex04 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2016, 06:26 PM   #184
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by alex04 View Post

Only looking stupid. His diary will doubtless be full of blank spaces.

Meanwhile Turnbull surges to a 19% lead over Shorten.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-pol...22-gmc9w7.html

The sooner Plibesek takes over the better. Albo is not the best choice. He's a backroom machine man of negligible charisma.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 22nd January 2016, 08:23 PM   #185
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by alex04 View Post

I am sure there would be comments like
"Met so-and-so today. What a stupid person." This sort of thing would be embarrassing for both parties.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2016, 08:25 PM   #186
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Especially since Abbott was basically elected on a platform of "we never do that".
Old 22nd January 2016, 09:22 PM   #187
a_unique_person

Rudd for the UN! He would love to be leading a never ending talkfest.
Old 22nd January 2016, 09:29 PM   #188
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Rudd for the UN! He would love to be leading a never ending talkfest.
Yes an irrelevant man at an irrelevant forum. A match made in heaven.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd January 2016, 07:57 PM   #189
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Meanwhile Turnbull surges to a 19% lead over Shorten.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-pol...22-gmc9w7.html

The sooner Plibesek takes over the better. Albo is not the best choice. He's a backroom machine man of negligible charisma.
This won't happen.
Turnbull is vulnerable.
His record with the NBN is abysmal, the sniping from the Neo Cons could hurt.
But I can't see Shorten or Plibersak do over Turnbull currently.
Old 23rd January 2016, 08:24 PM   #190
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

This won't happen.
Turnbull is vulnerable.
His record with the NBN is abysmal, the sniping from the Neo Cons could hurt.
But I can't see Shorten or Plibersak do over Turnbull currently.
Well if Labor doesn't do something Turnbull will win in a landslide and even take the Senate. If so, he will be PM for three terms. I can see why Labor wouldn't want to burn Plibesek or Bowen in a doomed election campaign in September, so maybe Albo will be the sacrificial lamb. But Shorten is awkward, colourless and lacking appeal. He will be toxic at election time.

And I'm certain you are over-stating the importance of the NBN. Out there where the election is won or lost, the electorate requires an Internet that works passably, and that allows access to Netflix. Nothing more.

As much as I hate to say this, I would put my house on the Coalition next election. Glad Alfie isn't around.....

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd January 2016, 09:47 PM   #191
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Well if Labor doesn't do something Turnbull will win in a landslide and even take the Senate. If so, he will be PM for three terms. I can see why Labor wouldn't want to burn Plibesek or Bowen in a doomed election campaign in September, so maybe Albo will be the sacrificial lamb. But Shorten is awkward, colourless and lacking appeal. He will be toxic at election time.

And I'm certain you are over-stating the importance of the NBN. Out there where the election is won or lost, the electorate requires an Internet that works passably, and that allows access to Netflix. Nothing more.

As much as I hate to say this, I would put my house on the Coalition next election. Glad Alfie isn't around.....
I find the NBN a very important infrastructure build for our economic future, that is full fibre not fraudband. I agree that the "plebs" (everyone but me) don't consider the NBN of great importance, but if they understood the enormous cost in this fraudband as opposed to full fibre, they may reconsider.
Old 24th January 2016, 07:47 PM   #192
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I find the NBN a very important infrastructure build for our economic future, that is full fibre not fraudband. I agree that the "plebs" (everyone but me) don't consider the NBN of great importance, but if they understood the enormous cost in this fraudband as opposed to full fibre, they may reconsider.
Yes, agreed.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 24th January 2016, 10:41 PM   #193
a_unique_person

Tony Abbott and Bronwyn Bishop want to stand again. Turnbull must be overjoyed.
Old 26th January 2016, 12:12 AM   #194
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Meanwhile Abbott shows his true colours
Quote:
Mr Abbott, who is being accompanied by wife Margie, will give a speech on the topic of "the importance of family" to the pro-Christian, Republican-aligned lobby, which opposes abortion, wants to end gay marriage and is pushing to roll back some feminist advances.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...#ixzz3yKeVQGSO
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

In other words he is extreme right wing and should never be allowed on the front bench again.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2016, 03:36 AM   #195
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Interesting article in The Conversation about a conversation between ABC’s head of current affairs, Bruce Belsham, and then-ABC technology editor Nick Ross.
https://theconversation.com/straight...-the-abc-53640
Quote:
News reports containing allegations over the way the ABC has handled coverage of the National Broadband Network (NBN) raise important questions about the editorial process, and the relationship between editors and journalists.
In a transcript of a secret recording of a confidential conversation between the pair, Belsham asks Ross to critique aspects of the ALP’s NBN plan in order to gain an “insurance policy”.
In the transcript, Belsham explains that:
… an insurance policy is an article where you are hard-headed about something to do with the NBN’s failings, or, you know, potential failings …
Where is this coming from? Against what or whom is the journalist being insured?

Is it ABC editorial policy, criticism of some recent articles, or is it to do with the relations between the ABC and the federal government? Belsham raises concerns that:

… the world, the Turnbull camp and my superiors are going to come down on me like a tonne of bricks.
This article plus the NewMatilda article https://newmatilda.com/2016/01/21/fa...ition-attacks/ asks some disturbing questions on political power and manipulation within the ABC. This political pressure is stopping the reporting of the cost to this country of billions of unnecessary dollars being squandered.
Old 3rd February 2016, 02:07 PM   #196
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Defying the Senate: NBN Co refuses to disclose brand new copper needs past 1800km
In Senate Estimates hearings in October last year, the NBN company made the remarkable revelation that it was purchasing 1800km of brand new copper cable to a cost of about $14 million.
Read the article at Delimiter, URL below.
https://delimiter.com.au/2016/02/03/...s-past-1800km/
Laying last centuries technology instead of this centuries technology. All because of ideology.
Old 4th February 2016, 03:41 AM   #197
a_unique_person

Tony Abbott sacks the CSIRO climate research group. "Turnbull The Weak" does not have the intestinal fortitude to fight the right on this issue.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-0...ake-up/7139224
Old 4th February 2016, 04:49 AM   #198
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Tony Abbott sacks the CSIRO climate research group. "Turnbull The Weak" does not have the intestinal fortitude to fight the right on this issue.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-0...ake-up/7139224
Yep, the Neo Cons have him by the short and curlies.
Old 4th February 2016, 04:51 AM   #199
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Read the Coalitions NBN plan, on their site before the 2013 elections. What a pack of lies. How long will they keep it stay before being taken down?
Quote:
The Coalition’s plan to transform the NBN will see:
· Download speeds of between 25 and 100 megabits per second by the end of 2016 and 50 to 100 megabits per second by 2019.
· The rollout of the NBN under the Coalition will be complete by the end of 2019.
· Regions with substandard internet services will receive priority rollout.
· Basic broadband plans will always be more affordable under the Coalition than under Labor. Projections show that prices will be $24 cheaper a month by 2021 than under Labor’s NBN projected prices.
· The Coalition’s NBN will cost tens of billions less to complete than Labor’s NBN.
The Coalition’s plan will ensure the National Broadband Network is rolled out faster and cheaper, resulting in lower prices for consumers.
https://www.liberal.org.au/fast-affo...lan-better-nbn

Last edited by wombatwal; 4th February 2016 at 04:52 AM.
Old 4th February 2016, 04:54 AM   #200
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
In other words he is extreme right wing and should never be allowed on the front bench again.
He is a religious looney and should never be allowed on the front porch again.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics