ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags islam , koran

Old 1st December 2017, 07:39 PM   #601
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Distance travelled by the moon = speed of light.
It's ***** amazing that with all the stupidity at that site you found a way to be even more stupid.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 05:19 AM   #602
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
It's ***** amazing that with all the stupidity at that site you found a way to be even more stupid.
From that site...

Quote:
These months are related to the moon and not related to the sun. Hence in 1 day the angels will travel a distance of 1000 years
Gonna play fast and loose dimensionally, gonna get false answers.
Old 2nd December 2017, 07:30 AM   #603
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

From that site...
Gonna play fast and loose dimensionally, gonna get false answers.
And now you're lying like a creationist by quoting half a sentence out of context.

That site is perfectly clear that it's point is that if the distance the moon travels in 1000 years were traveled in a day it would be moving at the speed of light. And that is proper units for speed. That site is plenty wrong and stupid in many ways. Why do you need to lie about it? Are you a plant trying to sabotage the skeptic side of the argument?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 02:44 PM   #604
Emre_1974tr
Critical Thinker

Wormholes in Quran:

[Quran 70.1-4] Someone asked about the penalty that will befall the unbelievers; (A penalty) that has none to ward off; (a penalty) from Allah (who owns) wormholes [Ma'arej in Arabic] The angels and the Spirit ascend to Him in a day, the measure of which is fifty thousand years.

http://www.speed-light.info/miracles.../wormholes.htm
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 02:58 PM   #605
Emre_1974tr
Critical Thinker

15:14 If We opened for them a gate in the sky and they were to continue ascending to it,

15:15 They would have said, "Our sight has been distorted. No, we are a people who are being bewitched!"
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2017, 03:55 PM   #606
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

There have been wormholes in trees, books, vegetables, soil since before human memory. Why should such a mention be a surprise to anyone? Except it deals with the supernatural for which there's not a shred of evidence.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:07 AM   #607
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
Wormholes in Quran:

[Quran 70.1-4] Someone asked about the penalty that will befall the unbelievers; (A penalty) that has none to ward off; (a penalty) from Allah (who owns) wormholes [Ma'arej in Arabic] The angels and the Spirit ascend to Him in a day, the measure of which is fifty thousand years.

OMG, the qu'ran predicted wormsigns?

Frank Herbert was right! The spice must flow.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 12:08 PM   #608
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Wormholes in Quran:

That translation is completely wrong. Not one of the following forty translations says anything about wormholes.

http://www.islamawakened.com/quran/70/3/default.htm
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 12:17 PM   #609
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
And now you're lying like a creationist by quoting half a sentence out of context.

That site is perfectly clear that it's point is that if the distance the moon travels in 1000 years were traveled in a day it would be moving at the speed of light. And that is proper units for speed. That site is plenty wrong and stupid in many ways. Why do you need to lie about it? Are you a plant trying to sabotage the skeptic side of the argument?
That's the thing about irrational numerological nonsense. One can make any interpretation one can imagine. Maybe I misread it for all I care. May I clicked further down that particular rabbit hole, who cares? I can guarantee you I am not going to re-read that garbage to find out.
Old 3rd December 2017, 12:29 PM   #610
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That's the thing about irrational numerological nonsense. One can make any interpretation one can imagine. Maybe I misread it for all I care. May I clicked further down that particular rabbit hole, who cares? I can guarantee you I am not going to re-read that garbage to find out.
There is a reason that all Muslim nations combined have contributed less to humanity than single zip codes in the US and it has nothing to do with ability. It has to do with an obsession with nonsense and superstitions as Emre proves with post after post.

Note* That Emre doesn't engage in skeptical discourse. He merely posts some absurdity from the Quran and disappears. I suggest that it is cowardly and lacks belief to hit and run.
Old 3rd December 2017, 01:38 PM   #611
Emre_1974tr
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
That translation is completely ]
That translation is completely true.

It does not matter what other translations say. That's the Arabic.

Gate, maarej...

Today in science they call this transition wormhole.

Allah saying "Gates, Ma'arej "
Old 3rd December 2017, 03:32 PM   #612
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Gate, maarej...

Since Arabic has been around for a long while, I would guess it has quite a few homonyms. The term wormhole as used in physics and astrophysics dates to 1957. It's a stretch to think nomadic goat herders even knew of neutron stars much less even something as esoteric as a black hole and other esoteric and often hypothetical concepts. The presence of a word which you imagine in a modern context is not proof the original user had any notion whatever of what you're stretching for. And there is no science in the Qur'an.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 03:36 PM   #613
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Emre doesn't engage in skeptical discourse. He merely posts some absurdity from [scripture] and [claims* it predates 20th Century learning].
Christian fundamentalists do that** altogether too often as well.

*,**Without a shred of credible evidence.
Old 3rd December 2017, 03:51 PM   #614
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
Christian fundamentalists do that** altogether too often as well.

*,**Without a shred of credible evidence.
Please don't do that again. Don't rewrite my posts. If you are going to quote me, use my quote.

And yes, people of other religions do that. But this thread was started by Emre and he never actually defends his posts.
Old 3rd December 2017, 04:59 PM   #615
Emre_1974tr
Critical Thinker

Time travel to the future in the Quran.

18:9 Did you reckon that the dwellers of the cave and the numerals were of Our wondrous signs?

18:10 When the youths hid in the cave, and they said, "Our Lord, bring us a mercy from Yourself, and prepare for us a right direction in our affair!"

18:11 So We sealed upon their ears in the cave for a number of years.

18:12 Then We roused them to know which of the two groups would be best at calculating the duration of their stay.

18:13 We narrate to you their news with truth. They were youths who acknowledged their Lord, and We increased them in guidance.

18:14 We made firm their hearts when they stood and said, "Our Lord, the Lord of heavens and earth, we will not call besides Him any god. Had We said so then it would be far astray."

18:15 "Here are our people, they have taken gods besides Him, while they do not come with any clear authority. Who then is more wicked than one who invents lies about God?"

18:16 So when you withdraw from them and what they serve besides God, seek refuge in the cave, and your Lord will distribute His mercy upon you and prepare for your problem a solution.

18:17 You see the sun when it rises, visiting their cave from the right, and when it sets, it touches them from the left, while they are in its spacious hallow. That is from God's signs. Whomever God guides is the guided one, and whomever He misguides, you will not find for him any guiding friend.

18:18 You would reckon they are awake while they are asleep. We turn them on the right-side and on the left-side, and their dog has his legs outstretched by the entrance. If you looked upon them you would have run away from them and you would have been filled with fear of them!

18:19 Thus We roused them so they would ask themselves. A speaker from amongst them said, "How long have you stayed?" They said, "We stayed a day or part of a day." He said, "Your Lord is surely aware how long you stayed, so send one of you with these money of yours to the city, and let him see which is the tastiest food, and let him come with a provision of it. Let him be courteous and let no one take notice of you."

18:20 "If they discover you, they will stone you or return you to their creed. Then you will never be successful."

18:21 Thus We let them be discovered so that they would know that God's promise is true and that there is no doubt regarding the moment. They argued amongst themselves regarding them, so they said, "Erect a monument for them!" Their Lord is fully aware of them. Those who managed to win the argument said, "We will construct a temple over them."

18:22 They will say, "Three, the fourth is their dog." They say, "Five, the sixth is their dog," guessing at what they do not know. They say, "Seven, and the eighth is their dog." Say, "My Lord is fully aware of their number, none know them except for a few." So, do not debate in them except with proof, and do not seek information regarding them from anyone.

18:23 Do not say of anything: "I will do this tomorrow;"

18:24 "Except if God wills." Remember your Lord if you forget and say, "Perhaps my Lord will guide me closer than this to the truth."

18:25 They remained in their cave for three hundred years, and increased nine

18:26 Say, "God is fully aware how long they remained, to Him is the unseen of heavens and earth, He sees and hears. They do not have besides Him any ally, nor does He share in His judgment with anyone."
Old 3rd December 2017, 05:21 PM   #616
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Snipped for length
So I decided to peak at this thread again and it seems you're still not contributing anything other than mindless scripture quoting.

I assume it's moot to point out miracles can't continue if they've never started in the first place.
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2017, 07:15 PM   #617
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Please don't do that again. Don't rewrite my posts. If you are going to quote me, use my quote.

And yes, people of other religions do that. But this thread was started by Emre and he never actually defends his posts.
Certainly did not mean to offend. No more editing.
Old 3rd December 2017, 07:21 PM   #618
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Certainly did not mean to offend. No more editing.
I just like it clear what I wrote if someone argues with me.
Old 4th December 2017, 07:04 AM   #619
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

I just like it clear what I wrote if someone argues with me.
And I was trying to ride your coattails in a sense to show how silly wrong Kumar is.
Old 4th December 2017, 09:10 AM   #620
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Sorry; Emre in this particular thread.
Old 4th December 2017, 10:57 AM   #621
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Gate, maarej...

Utter bunk. The entire forty translations listed do not use the word wormhole

but you manage to translate it yourself as something else.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 11:03 AM   #622
Scorpion
Graduate Poster

Time travel to the future in the Quran.

18:9 Did you reckon that the dwellers of the cave and the numerals were of Our wondrous signs?
Sounds like ...snip... Plato.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave
Edited by jsfisher:  Edited for compliance with rules 0 and 12 of the Membership Agreement,
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by jsfisher; 10th December 2017 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Remove repeated text
Old 4th December 2017, 12:08 PM   #623
Emre_1974tr
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Utter bunk. The entire forty translations listed do not use the word wormhole

but you manage to translate it yourself as something else.
Stop playing the pure role, missionary.

The translation is correct.
Old 4th December 2017, 12:10 PM   #624
halleyscomet
Philosopher

halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 01:11 PM   #625
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Why do you blaspheme? Do you not believe it is Allah who hardens hearts and minds, as the quaran says he did to the pharaoh and many others so many years ago? Is it your belief that there nothing that occurs that is not the will of your god? Or do you believe your god is so weak that you, a mere human can overcome its will?
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 01:55 PM   #626
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Correct or not, it matters not a whit. Your god, like all of the other thousands of claimed gods, is utter nonsense.
Old 4th December 2017, 04:20 PM   #627
Emre_1974tr
Critical Thinker

Teleportation in Quran

27:38 He said, "O commanders, which of you can bring me her throne before they come to me peacefully surrendering?"

27:39 A powerful being from among the Jinn said, "I will bring it to you before you rise from your station. For I am strong and trustworthy."

27:40 One who had knowledge from the book said, "I will bring it to you before you blink." So when he saw it resting before him, he said, "This is from the grace of my Lord, so that He tests me whether I am thankful or whether I reject. As for he who is thankful, he is thankful for himself, and as for he who rejects, then my Lord is Rich, Bountiful."

27:41 He said, "Disguise her throne so we may see if she will be guided or if she will be of those who are not guided."

27:42 So when she came, it was said, "Is your throne like this?" She said, "It appears to be similar." We were given knowledge before her, and we had peacefully surrendered.
Old 4th December 2017, 05:01 PM   #628
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

No, that's enough.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 06:05 PM   #629
Thor 2
Illuminator

Oh shucks teleportation is no big deal. The Catholic Church has about 200 or so Saints in the past who used to fly about all over.
Old 5th December 2017, 09:11 AM   #630
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Behind a spoiler for a naughty word.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 09:54 AM   #631
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Wormholes and teleportation but no X-boxes or cell phones. How very quaint. Alexa, bring my flying carpet!
Old 5th December 2017, 03:13 PM   #632
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Delete

Last edited by Hungry81; 5th December 2017 at 03:15 PM.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 03:48 PM   #633
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Wormholes and teleportation but no X-boxes or cell phones. How very quaint. Alexa, bring my flying carpet!
And a bucket of fun that is. Apparently, the koran predicted things which do not exist, yet failed to predict things which do exist. Miracle my ****.
Old 6th December 2017, 05:57 PM   #634
Emre_1974tr
Critical Thinker

Other universes have planets too.

65.12 Allah is the one who created seven Heavens and from Earth like them (of corresponding type); [Allah's] command descends among them so that you may know that Allah is capable of anything and that Allah knows everything.
Old 6th December 2017, 06:10 PM   #635
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Other universes have planets too.

65.12 Allah is the one who created seven Heavens and from Earth like them (of corresponding type); [Allah's] command descends among them so that you may know that Allah is capable of anything and that Allah knows everything.
What "other universes"?
Old 6th December 2017, 06:16 PM   #636
Emre_1974tr
Critical Thinker

Heavens/Skies = Universes

My Turkish article:

http://emre1974tr.blogspot.com.tr/20...revrenler.html
Old 6th December 2017, 06:23 PM   #637
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

My Turkish article:

What other universes? Can you name any?
Old 7th December 2017, 02:24 AM   #638
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Well, there's a joint and a film studio?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 06:57 AM   #639
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Do you suppose Emre has come up with a QuoteBot? Fundies everywhere would pay a pretty to have rights to it.
Old 7th December 2017, 07:17 AM   #640
halleyscomet
Philosopher

My Turkish article:

This forum adds rel="nofollow" to all outgoing links. That means no matter how many times you link to your blog here, it will do NOTHING to increase your ranking in search engines. At best you'll get a couple people here to follow the link, but the folks here will make sure to NOT click any ads on your site, ensuring you get no ad revenue form it.

All you're accomplishing is ensuring anyone looking up you or this topic is more likely to find a forum where your incompetence is routinely explained and your consistent inability to express yourself beyond copying and pasting someone else's words is highlighted.

With all that in mind, what are you hoping to accomplish by posting here?

If you're really Muslim, why are you working so hard to deliberately invite ridicule upon the text you claim you think is holy?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy