ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 24th October 2017, 03:44 PM   #121
ceptimus
puzzler

Presumably, some of the academics teaching the Brexit related material would have been pro leave. So you can hardly say the MP was trying to compile some kind of 'hit list'.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 04:15 PM   #122
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Presumably, some of the academics teaching the Brexit related material would have been pro leave. So you can hardly say the MP was trying to compile some kind of 'hit list'.
I can't be bothered to read the last half-a-dozen posts. Did any of them suggest that it was some kind of hit list?
Rat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 04:29 PM   #123
ceptimus
puzzler

The BBC article says that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41735839

Quadraginta quoted it in post #112

Last edited by ceptimus; 24th October 2017 at 04:33 PM.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 04:59 PM   #124
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

The BBC article says that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41735839

Quadraginta quoted it in post #112
Fair enough. That's not what I see it as, and I suspect it was just a rhetorical overextension. So what was its purpose?
Rat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 10:11 PM   #125
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by Rat View Post
Fair enough. That's not what I see it as, and I suspect it was just a rhetorical overextension. So what was its purpose?
Just little friendly reminder...

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2017, 11:03 PM   #126
Hubert Cumberdale
Muse

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
We have had national newspaper headlines calling for judges and ministers to be sacked and for 'traitors' to be deported. Now this. Welcome to the new pub lynch mob 'sovereignty'.
Those who defy The Will Of The Peopletm must suffer the consequences!
Hubert Cumberdale is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 02:42 AM   #127
Henri McPhee
Graduate Poster

I have never been a great admirer of Mrs Thatcher, but I think she spoke sense in the House of Commons once which is relevant now to Brexit. From You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVt_1ByddUQ
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 02:47 AM   #128
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
I have never been a great admirer of Mrs Thatcher, but I think she spoke sense in the House of Commons once which is relevant now to Brexit. From You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVt_1ByddUQ

She may have been an evil witch-queen from hell but at least she was a competent evil witch queen from hell.

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 03:00 AM   #129
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
She may have been an evil witch-queen from hell but at least she was a competent evil witch queen from hell.
.....until power went to her head and she went rather bonkers towards the end of her "reign" - at least IMO
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 03:04 AM   #130
ceptimus
puzzler

Originally Posted by Rat View Post
I don't see anything wrong with an MP trying to find out what is being taught by universities and with what, if any, bias.

If the letter had asked for information about what courses were being taught, and by whom, about alternative medicine with particular regard to homeopathy, then I suspect posters here would be sympathetic.

The problem is that everyone on both sides of the debate assumes that the universities are hotbeds of lefty-leaning 100% pro-remain sentiment, and the pro-remain side don't want that situation looked into or altered.
Old 25th October 2017, 03:11 AM   #131
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I don't see anything wrong with an MP trying to find out what is being taught by universities and with what, if any, bias.

<snip>

He wasn't asking what was taught. He was asking who was teaching it.

All of which he could have gleaned from publicly available sources.

Aside from letting it be known that he was making a point of singling them out, what other purpose could such a letter have accomplished?
Old 25th October 2017, 03:16 AM   #132
ceptimus
puzzler

What's the problem with letting them know that he was trying to single them out? If they're teaching a political subject in an obviously biassed way they ought to be prepared, at least, to stand up and admit such.
Old 25th October 2017, 03:19 AM   #133
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

What's the problem with letting them know that he was trying to single them out? If they're teaching a political subject in an obviously biassed way they ought to be prepared, at least, to stand up and admit such.
Oh deary me.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 03:27 AM   #134
ceptimus
puzzler

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Oh deary me.
What's that supposed to mean? Not very cogent, is it?
Old 25th October 2017, 03:35 AM   #135
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

How, exactly, would the letter he sent inform him about how they were teaching the subject?

What reason do you have to believe "they" were teaching it in a biassed way, much less an "obvious" one?

How would the letter he sent help him distinguish "them" from the ones who were teaching it in whatever fashion would presumably be acceptable?

And who gets to decide which is which?
Old 25th October 2017, 03:53 AM   #136
ceptimus
puzzler

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
How, exactly, would the letter he sent inform him about how they were teaching the subject?
It wouldn't
Quote:
What reason do you have to believe "they" were teaching it in a biassed way, much less an "obvious" one?
I don't. The assumption on most of the websites and comments where I've read about this is that academics are overwhelmingly pro-remain. But I don't know how that fact or opinion was arrived at. The over-reaction of the academics to a fairly mild letter adds to the suspicion that they might have something to hide.

Quote:
How would the letter he sent help him distinguish "them" from the ones who were teaching it in whatever fashion would presumably be acceptable?
I don't think it would. If he had received sufficient replies to his letter, I suppose he could then have embarked on further research to try to discover how the lecturers had taught the subject and whether or not they'd covered it in a fair and balanced way.

Quote:
How does anyone ever decide what is fair and balanced? The best you can hope for when there is wide disagreement on a topic is that both sides of the argument are presented. There's nothing to stop a lecturer (or anyone) making their own opinion on the subject known, but that opinion shouldn't be presented as fact.

Last edited by ceptimus; 25th October 2017 at 03:59 AM.
Old 25th October 2017, 03:57 AM   #137
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

It wouldn't
I don't. The assumption on most of the websites and comments where I've read about this is that academics are overwhelmingly pro-remain. But I don't know how that fact or opinion was arrived at. The over-reaction of the academics to a fairly mild letter adds to the suspicion that they might have something to hide.

I don't think it would. If he had received sufficient replies to his letter, I suppose he could then have embarked on further research to try to discover how the lecturers had taught the subject and whether or not they'd covered it in a fair and balanced way.

[/quote]

And who made this Tory whip the arbiter of what constitutes a fair and balanced way to teach European Studies? What business is it of his anyway, surely if there's a problem it would be the job of the Education Secretary to deal with it.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 04:05 AM   #138
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

It wouldn't

<snip>

Why is it an over-reaction?

What legitimate purpose could such a letter serve?

They are reacting to a transparent, scatter-shot, ham-fisted attempt at intimidation.
Old 25th October 2017, 04:14 AM   #139
ceptimus
puzzler

I don't see why any MP, or for that matter anyone - whether an MP or not - should be prevented from making such an inquiry.

Obviously this particular MP is pro-leave, and his intent was probably to try to expose the lecturers as teaching what he believes to be biassed pro-remain propaganda. I don't believe his excuse that he was trying to gather information for a book.

I've no illusions about his motivations. What I'm interested in is how the remain-supporting politicians and the left wing media have piled on to this story, and their self-righteous belief and assertion that what he did was dishonest or wrong in some way.
Old 25th October 2017, 04:18 AM   #140
ceptimus
puzzler

Why is it an over-reaction?

[snip]

They are reacting to a transparent, scatter-shot, ham-fisted attempt at intimidation.
Why is it intimidation for an MP to attempt to reveal what he believes to be biassed teaching in our universities? Like I said earlier, if the subject matter had been alternative medicine and homeopathy, I suspect that posters on this forum would be applauding the MP's attempt to reveal such teaching. In fact we don't need to have a hypothetical alternative medicine example as the real example of biassed teaching in faith schools regularly crops up.
Old 25th October 2017, 04:34 AM   #141
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I don't see why any MP, or for that matter anyone - whether an MP or not - should be prevented from making such an inquiry.

Obviously this particular MP is pro-leave, and his intent was probably to try to expose the lecturers as teaching what he believes to be biassed pro-remain propaganda. I don't believe his excuse that he was trying to gather information for a book.

How, exactly, would the letter he sent "expose" anyone in particular?

Quote:

I've no illusions about his motivations. What I'm interested in is how the remain-supporting politicians and the left wing media have piled on to this story, and their self-righteous belief and assertion that what he did was dishonest or wrong in some way.

You just said you didn't believe his explanation, so you've already agreed that he is dishonest.

Do you think it is right for an MP to use the authority of his office to try to intimidate people he doesn't agree with in their workplace?

Sounds like you believe the media, regardless of what wing they may occupy, had well-founded reasons to take the positions they have, even if you don't like seeing your political allies criticized.
Old 25th October 2017, 04:40 AM   #142
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Why is it intimidation for an MP to attempt to reveal what he believes to be biassed teaching in our universities?

Again. What, exactly, do you believe that letter did to "reveal" the teaching bias of any particular instructor?

Quote:
Like I said earlier, if the subject matter had been alternative medicine and homeopathy, I suspect that posters on this forum would be applauding the MP's attempt to reveal such teaching. In fact we don't need to have a hypothetical alternative medicine example as the real example of biassed teaching in faith schools regularly crops up.

If an MP were to show course content of specific classes which was clearly in error I would think he was doing his job. If he wrote a letter to all the medical schools asking for a list of any instructors who discussed the topic of alternative medicine then that would be just as inappropriate as what this clown has done.
Old 25th October 2017, 05:29 AM   #143
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

"Universities have confirmed they teach that Brexit is incredibly brilliant but not quite up there with communism.

British universities have responded to a letter from Tory whip Chris Heaton-Harris by explaining that while Brexit will destroy the UK as a nation, it cannot boast the same track record for doing so as communism can. "

link
Old 25th October 2017, 05:51 AM   #144
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
No her propaganda was competent her premiership wasn't. The list of her disasters is quite extensive.
Old 25th October 2017, 06:02 AM   #145
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

If the letter had asked for information about what courses were being taught, and by whom, about alternative medicine with particular regard to homeopathy, then I suspect posters here would be sympathetic.

The problem is that everyone on both sides of the debate assumes that the universities are hotbeds of lefty-leaning 100% pro-remain sentiment, and the pro-remain side don't want that situation looked into or altered.
The problem is that he didnt do it as a member of the public. According to an interview this morning (Today programme) it could have been research for a book.. The guy in the interview seemed to be thinking he was supporting his friend. Didn't seem to realise that he was in effect saying the MP was abusing his MP position!
Old 25th October 2017, 06:57 AM   #146
Wudang
BOFH

And yet even academics who voted Leave are appalled at the letter. Down the bottom of the article source
Old 25th October 2017, 11:35 AM   #147
Mojo
Mostly harmless

There'll be more complaints about the BBC's anti-Brexit bias; they've just repeated a programme about what happened last time we couldn't import food.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 12:24 PM   #148
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
There'll be more complaints about the BBC's anti-Brexit bias; they've just repeated a programme about what happened last time we couldn't import food.

Learning from history. That's really playing dirty.
Old 25th October 2017, 01:09 PM   #149
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

David Davis says something technically true but useless

Czechslovakia currently doesn't have a government

http://www.euronews.com/2017/10/25/b...n-intelligence

he also talked about Holland

...whilst boasting of the quality of his briefings

Where is the Picard Riker double face palm?

Quote:
“Germany, Austria, Holland and Czechoslovakia are all without governments at the moment so this is not top of their tree.

“Nevertheless we’ve got a pretty good idea of where they will end up at the end of this, even if there are delays on the way.”

link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 25th October 2017 at 01:10 PM.
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 01:21 PM   #150
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

He has a habit of naming countries that don't exist - his very first statement on the Irish border referred to Southern Ireland.
Old 25th October 2017, 01:47 PM   #151
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Holland is not a country (*). The Netherlands is, and tomorrow we'll have the official installation and the photoshoot on the steps of the palace with the new government, so he's only very technically correct that we're without a government.

(*) It's not even a current polity. The former county/province of Holland was spit into the two provinces North- and South-Holland in 1815. Bloody English minister.

And yes, England is a current polity with separate laws from the other three countries making up the UK, which are made in Westminster, so the British government doubles as English government.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

Last edited by ddt; 25th October 2017 at 02:30 PM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 01:59 PM   #152
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
"Universities have confirmed they teach that Brexit is incredibly brilliant but not quite up there with communism.

British universities have responded to a letter from Tory whip Chris Heaton-Harris by explaining that while Brexit will destroy the UK as a nation, it cannot boast the same track record for doing so as communism can. "

link

My personal appraisal was that Mr. Heaton-Harris' design with this letter is to know who he'll have to round up and lock up in a Dachau-like establishment. Unless there's compelling evidence to the contrary, I'll stick to that.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 02:10 PM   #153
ddt
Mafia Penguin

But the nuclear medicine industry is different. The materials they use as radiation sources have relatively short half-lives, some measured in days.

Without a system in place to oversee the sales and transportation of such hazardous materials across the U.K borders in place those stocks will be gone very quickly.

And all such materials come from across those borders, since the U.K. doesn't produce them.

So the lights will still be on at the treatment facilities that need them but there won't be any treatments.
That's actually a missed business opportunity. The UK could build its own facility. The main facility in Europe is the Dutch reactor in Petten, which accounts for 1/3 of the world production. It is an old beast from the 1950s which is plagued by outages and by safety issues. New construction has been hampered for years by planning issues and financing issues. Another 1/3 of the world production of medical isotopes is produced in Chalk River in Canada, a similar old beast suffering problems. You'd think there's an opportunity for a new reactor in this business.

(and yes, I realize you don't just build a reactor overnight).

Old 25th October 2017, 02:32 PM   #154
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

That's hilarious. Somebody forgot to tell him, that Czechoslovakia doesn't exist since 1993!

Fact, that we have just three days since elections is fairly small one adaptation of truth.

ETA: No wonder we don't have government...

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2017, 04:20 PM   #155
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
And yet even academics who voted Leave are appalled at the letter. Down the bottom of the article source
Bloody experts again...
Old 25th October 2017, 04:21 PM   #156
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post

Holland is not a country (*). The Netherlands is, and tomorrow we'll have the official installation and the photoshoot on the steps of the palace with the new government, so he's only very technically correct that we're without a government.

(*) It's not even a current polity. The former county/province of Holland was spit into the two provinces North- and South-Holland in 1815. Bloody English minister.

And yes, England is a current polity with separate laws from the other three countries making up the UK, which are made in Westminster, so the British government doubles as English government.
I think it may be the other way round, and that the English government doubles as the government of The United Kingdom. The most celebrated study of the Constitution of the UK was published in 1867
[...]is a book by Walter Bagehot. First serialised in The Fortnightly Review between 15 May 1865 and 1 January 1867, and later published in book form in the latter year. It explores the constitution of the United Kingdom, specifically the functioning of Parliament and the British monarchy, and the contrasts between British and American government. The book became a standard work which was translated into several languages.
I have omitted the name of this authoritative guide. Can you guess what it is called?
Craig B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 12:15 AM   #157
Planigale
Master Poster

I am not sure anyone has pointed out that under freedom of information legislation universities as public bodies are obliged to provide this information to anyone who requests it. Do people believe that MPs should be more restricted than the general public in access to information?

What would have been the response if he had requested the information on private note paper rather than House of Commons notepaper? Or got a researcher to request it on personal notepaper. Some people would argue that this was more suspicious as it was 'covert'.
Planigale is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 01:40 AM   #158
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
I am not sure anyone has pointed out that under freedom of information legislation universities as public bodies are obliged to provide this information to anyone who requests it. Do people believe that MPs should be more restricted than the general public in access to information?

What would have been the response if he had requested the information on private note paper rather than House of Commons notepaper? Or got a researcher to request it on personal notepaper. Some people would argue that this was more suspicious as it was 'covert'.

Was he asking for some information which was not already freely available?

Was there something that couldn't have been looked up in public documents already offered by these schools. like their course schedules and faculty lists?

I don't think that freedom of information laws obligate those universities to respond to any question at all that they receive from anyone asking for information which is already publicly available and easily found by anyone who wants to bother to take a moment and look it up.

The question which seems to be evaded by those people trying to defend this letter is, "Why ask for this information this way?", when there was no need to ask for it at all.

Last edited by quadraginta; 26th October 2017 at 01:43 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 01:42 AM   #159
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It's not a matter of the information being available. It's the manner of the asking.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2017, 02:57 AM   #160
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
It's not a matter of the information being available. It's the manner of the asking.

Exactly.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics