ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers

Reply
Old 1st December 2017, 09:27 AM   #161
EvilBiker
Muse
 
EvilBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 982
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
Behold the flat Earth wiki: https://wiki.tfes.org/The_Flat_Earth_Wiki

Ye gods, that intro page is a piece of work. Could do with one small tweak, though:


Quote:
Throughout the years it has become a duty of each Flat Earth Society member, to meet the common round earther in the open, avowed, and unyielding rebellion; to declare that his reign of error and confusion is over; and that henceforth, like a falling dynasty, he must shrink and disappear, leaving the throne and the kingdom of science and philosophy to those awakeningdiminished intellects whose numbers are constantly increasing, and whose march is rapid and irresistible.

There, now I can agree somewhat.
__________________
Flat Earth Theory:
The unfortunate result of ordering pizza to satisfy munchies after smoking way too much weed to bring you down from that hectic acid trip.
EvilBiker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 09:27 AM   #162
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Wow,

You're telling me.


Quote:
using this logic we can't have water pressure without a container either

1. Logic, eh? Post the Syllogism...?
2. False Equivalence Fallacy. Water (Liquid) is NOT a GAS ...even though they're both arbitrarily classified as Fluids.
3. Show water Pressure with Water CONTAINER-LESS...?


Quote:
Same for pilots and mountaineers, and anyone that lives in Denver that tell us that atmospheric pressure decreases as you increase in altitude.

Non-Sequitur Fallacy resulting from a Straw Man. The mere fact that Air Pressure decreases with altitude doesn't IPSO FACTO Validate a Vacuum attached to a Non-Vacuum.
You let me know when you're ready to discuss the ACTUAL Argument. K?



Quote:
Seems that there are a lot of people in on this hoax.

Alot of people indoctrinated then adhering to Fairytales.


regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 09:30 AM   #163
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by alexi_drago View Post
Do you really expect anything sensible from someone who believes the earth is flat?

1. Appeal to Ridicule (Fallacy).

2. Coming from someone who 'believes' (Short List):

a. Ink/Paper/Glue Molecules can Author Technical Instruction Manuals/Blue-Prints.
b. Something can come from Nothing, "Naturally".
c. Giraffes come from Bacteria...if given enough time.
d. Can't even explain "THE" in word or thought without contradicting your Fairytale Scientifically Falsified 'Religion' ... Philosophical Naturalism/Realism aka: atheism.
e. Lives on a Spinning-Ball hurling through space at 1,907,600 mph in several different directions, simultaneously!!

Perhaps "EXTREME CAUTION" is advised in assessing the 'sensibility' of others until you deal with those Personal Shroom-Induced Comas.


regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 09:31 AM   #164
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,741
I hope everyone saw the map on there, and the caveats which stop anyone actually using it to rubbish the claims it makes.
__________________
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 09:35 AM   #165
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,011
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
1. Appeal to Motive/Intent (Fallacy).

2. Well you can't have a Flat/Non-Spinning/Domed/Geocentric Earth in Shangri-La, the "Jig is Up" in a Prima Facie sorta way.

regards
1. You have completely misunderstood the appeal to motive fallacy. For it to apply in this case, your motive for promoting a flat earth would be questioned in an effort to undermine your "argument".

2. Questioning what possible motive the entire scientific world could have for constructing an insanely elaborate conspiracy to lie about the geometry of this planet is perfectly reasonable. In fact, it's essential.

3. I have no idea what Shangri-la has to do with the motive for lying about Earth not being flat, not being the center of reality and gravity not existing. Please explain.
__________________
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 09:36 AM   #166
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 25,302
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Non-Sequitur Fallacy resulting from a Straw Man. The mere fact that Air Pressure decreases with altitude doesn't IPSO FACTO Validate a Vacuum attached to a Non-Vacuum.
Yes, in fact, it does exactly that. "Vacuum" is an inexact term when used in this context to describe outer space, where the pressure is in fact non-zero but many orders of magnitude below atmospheric pressure; typically it falls in the range below 10-10 atmospheres. The fact, therefore, that air pressure in the atmosphere varies with altitude demonstrates that pressure differences in gas do not require a solid physical boundary. There is no special exception to this finding that prevents it applying to arbitrarily low pressures.

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right

Last edited by Dave Rogers; 1st December 2017 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Clarification
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 09:38 AM   #167
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 25,302
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
3. I have no idea what Shangri-la has to do with the motive for lying about Earth not being flat, not being the center of reality and gravity not existing. Please explain.
I'm pretty sure it's a vital component of the Chewbacca Defense.

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 09:44 AM   #168
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,011
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Perhaps "EXTREME CAUTION" is advised in assessing the 'sensibility' of others until you deal with those Personal Shroom-Induced Comas.regards
Sensibility does not refer to how sensible the subject is.
__________________
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 09:48 AM   #169
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Also note: just because they say LOS, doesn't mean the missile magically disappears if the target dips below the horizon.

The LOS is between the Ship's Tracking Radar and The Target. If the Target is below "The Horizon" ...then the Target couldn't be Illuminated by the Tracking Radar to begin with.




Quote:
You fire it, you keep LOS, if you lose LOS, oh well.

Unbelievable. You don't FIRE IT unless you have LOS to the Target by the Tracking Radar, Skipper.
If you lose LOS... You MISS. It's a Football Bat



Quote:
And LOS can be pretty high above sea level at 35 miles, including curvature.

LOS is from the Tracking Radar "ON THE SHIP". Is it your contention that ships are 35 Miles above Sea Level?


regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 09:54 AM   #170
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7,648
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Not 'believe', we "KNOW"; Big Difference.

There are no Pictures "Photographs" of the Earth merely CGI (Computer Generated Images); Two very different animals.
What is your basis for this assertion, aside from the fact that the pictures, if genuine, would prove Flat Earthers to be wrong?
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 09:57 AM   #171
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist
 
DGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West of Northshore MA
Posts: 24,376
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
The LOS is between the Ship's Tracking Radar and The Target. If the Target is below "The Horizon" ...then the Target couldn't be Illuminated by the Tracking Radar to begin with.
So, there should be no limit on a flat world?
__________________
"Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution" Jay Windley

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 09:58 AM   #172
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
Has there been a response from flat earther's to Neil Degrasse Tyson's tweet?
https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/934906611088359426

In preparing for this question I took a look at what flat Earther theory has to say about eclipses. I only found a video about solar eclipses.

I have one for you...

How can a Total Solar Eclipses project a Path of Totality Shadow... 30 TIMES SMALLER than the MOON'S DIAMETER ???

There's NO POSSIBLE way an object can project a Shadow "SMALLER" than it's own Diameter !!
It's Kooky Talk.

Moreover, if with a Total Solar Eclipse the Path of Totality Shadow is 70 Miles Wide (SEE: Last August)...THEN...with Lunar Eclipses, the Shadow of the Earth on the Moon should be... 256 FRIGGIN MILES IN DIAMETER !!!



Quote:
The explanation there seems to be that the sun rotates around the flat earth above the plane that the moon is in. Periodically the moon gets between the sun and the Earth and blocks the the sun's light from reaching earth.

How are Lunar eclipses explained if the flat earth solar eclipse theory is correct? What blocks the sunlight from reaching the moon during a lunar eclipse if the sun is in a plane above the moon?

1. This isn't a "Scientific Theory". By the mere fact that you categorized it as such, reveals you couldn't Pass 5th Grade General Science.

2. I can't say for sure, and neither can you. Watch...

a. What Phenomenon was Observed...?
b. Post the Formal Scientific Hypothesis then EXPERIMENT that validates your claim...?
c. Highlight the "Independent Variable" that was used in the TEST...?
d. Post the Null Hypothesis that was Rejected/Falsified...?

Go ahead...?


regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 09:59 AM   #173
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,289
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
The LOS is between the Ship's Tracking Radar and The Target. If the Target is below "The Horizon" ...then the Target couldn't be Illuminated by the Tracking Radar to begin with.
You sure about that? Because you posted an article that said that they bounce radar signals off the ionsphere.

Sphere again! That word just keep coming up in all the stuff you post.
__________________
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:02 AM   #174
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
But what keeps the sea from flowing away?

It's in a Container. What's next... How to make a Sandwich?


Quote:
Liquids have to be kept in a container!
Correct. But they don't have to be "Enclosed" (360).



Quote:
All those pictures of the sea must be fake because it must really be under glass.

Really, Why?


Quote:
I wonder why atmospheric pressure falls with altitude?

Begging The Question Fallacy: How do you have Atmospheric Pressure (Gas Pressure) to begin with WITHOUT a Container...?


regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:02 AM   #175
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,011
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a vital component of the Chewbacca Defense.

Dave
I see, the old ignoratio elenchi fallacy. I'm still interested in what Daniel thinks is the motive behind this spectacular enterprise.
__________________
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:04 AM   #176
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post

Oh, and gravity doesn't exist either. Obviously.

Which 'gravity'... Einstienian or Newtonian ??

a. Is gravity a Force?
b. Is 'gravity' a Scientific Law or Scientific Theory?
c. What is the CAUSE of 'gravity'...?


regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:04 AM   #177
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist
 
DGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West of Northshore MA
Posts: 24,376
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

There's NO POSSIBLE way an object can project a Shadow "SMALLER" than it's own Diameter !!
It can if the thing casting the light is really big.
__________________
"Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution" Jay Windley

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:05 AM   #178
threadworm
Graduate Poster
 
threadworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,518
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

There's NO POSSIBLE way an object can project a Shadow "SMALLER" than it's own Diameter !!
Sure about that?

__________________
Facts are simple and facts are straight, facts are lazy and facts are late, facts don't come with points of view, facts don't do what I want them to.

**************************

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:06 AM   #179
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 25,302
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
How can a Total Solar Eclipses project a Path of Totality Shadow... 30 TIMES SMALLER than the MOON'S DIAMETER ???
Geometry. See http://discovermagazine.com/2017/sep...lipse-geometry, for example.

Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
There's NO POSSIBLE way an object can project a Shadow "SMALLER" than it's own Diameter !!
Again, geometry; if the illuminating object is larger than the object casting the shadow, then the cross-section of the shadow is inevitably smaller than the cross-section of the object.

Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Moreover, if with a Total Solar Eclipse the Path of Totality Shadow is 70 Miles Wide (SEE: Last August)...THEN...with Lunar Eclipses, the Shadow of the Earth on the Moon should be... 256 FRIGGIN MILES IN DIAMETER !!!
And again, geometry; see http://www.eclipsegeeks.com/geometry...pse/4563655735, for example.

You could do the arithmetic yourself, but I'm pretty sure you're too lazy.

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:09 AM   #180
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,289
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

There's NO POSSIBLE way an object can project a Shadow "SMALLER" than it's own Diameter !!
It's Kooky Talk.
Try moving the object closer to a larger light source and see what happens to the shadow.

I think you will find a "kooky" result!

__________________
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:10 AM   #181
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 25,302
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Begging The Question Fallacy: How do you have Atmospheric Pressure (Gas Pressure) to begin with WITHOUT a Container...?
Nope. We observe that the measured pressure at sea level has a certain value. We observe that the measured pressure at another, higher level has a different, smaller value. We may therefore infer that measured pressure varies with altitude. What is the basis for your claim that this variation can extend over a sufficiently large range to be perceived without measuring equipment but yet is unable to extend over several orders of magnitude?

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:19 AM   #182
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
And it would be against, for example, "high-diving threats," "attack aircraft" and "helicopters" that its maximum range would be of use and practically achievable

Factually Incorrect (AGAIN):

"ESSM (RIM 162) offers naval combatants reliable self-defence and high fire-power. The missile can be launched from surface ships to destroy threats that include high speed, highly maneuvering anti-ship cruise missiles, low velocity air threats (LVATs), high-diving threats and SURFACE-BASED TARGETS. It can also engage attack aircraft, helicopters and SHIPS."
http://www.naval-technology.com/proj...-missile-essm/

Which part of this ^^^^ is particularly confusing?



Quote:
; alternatively, using a stand-off aircraft to paint the target would allow over-the-horizon use.

Factually Incorrect. That Capability is not Available for another 3 Years...

"Unlike RIM-7 SEASPARROW missile and ESSM Block 1, Block 2ís active seeker will support terminal engagement without the launch shipís target illumination radars. Between the semi-active capabilities that Block 1 brings and the active capabilities that Block 2 will bring, the Consortiumís warfighters will have the best of both worlds when it comes to ship self defenses."
http://www.raytheon.com/capabilities..._evolution.pdf

"The Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile (ESSM) Block II, an improved short-range, ship-based missile that counters attacks by multiple cruise missiles at low altitude, as well as adversary jamming and radar deception. It will be fielded in 2020 with 80 missiles going to the fleet."
http://docs.house.gov/meetings/AS/AS...J-20130918.pdf

Ergo... Please tell me How the ESSM Block 1 has been Engaging SURFACE BASED TARGETS at more than 50 km with the Fire Control Radars on SHIPS... FOR THE PAST 13 YEARS ?(!!!!)

Ya hear that sound?? That's you're Fairytale "Spinning Sphere" circling the Drain at Light Speed.




Quote:
But you've already had it explained to you that it was originally a repurposed air-to-air missile

The Original Guidance System for the NATO Sea Sparrow was that of a Norwegian Tank!!

You fanciful UNSUPPORTED "Just-So" Story explanations are not Valid Explanations.



Quote:
prevents you from replying to that.

Replying to what? More Trainwrecks (Thanks!! btw ) like you posted above?

Quote:
Do you have any associates who can assist with your scriptwriting? I think some aspects of your character and dialogue need external input.

Appeal to Ridicule Fallacy.


regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:21 AM   #183
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,011
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Which 'gravity'... Einstienian or Newtonian ??

a. Is gravity a Force?
b. Is 'gravity' a Scientific Law or Scientific Theory?
c. What is the CAUSE of 'gravity'...?


regards
a. It's a phenomenon which results in the exertion of a force.
b. Both.
c. The effect of mass interacting with space-time.
__________________
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:24 AM   #184
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
And now you have to resort to cherry picking. Sad.

The Actual "Sad" part is not SUPPORTING your Generalized Ipse Dixit Baseless 'bare' Assertion Fallacy here.


Do have a 'coherent' Substantive argument/position supporting your Fairytale 'Spinning-Ball' Religion ?


regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:29 AM   #185
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 25,302
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Which part of this ^^^^ is particularly confusing?
To you, apparently, the word "and".

Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Ergo... Please tell me How the ESSM Block 1 has been Engaging SURFACE BASED TARGETS at more than 50 km with the Fire Control Radars on SHIPS... FOR THE PAST 13 YEARS ?(!!!!)
You have no evidence to suggest that it has; you simply have the deliberate confabulation of the range of a missile, determined primarily by its fuel capacity, with the limitation imposed on the range for one specific use of that missile, despite the fact that the very links and excerpts you post indicate that it has other uses (there's that tricky word "and," you see) such as anti-aircraft where the greater missile range would be significant.

Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
The Original Guidance System for the NATO Sea Sparrow was that of a Norwegian Tank!!
The Sea Sparrow, as its name suggests, is an adaptation of the AIM-7 Sparrow air-to-air missile for ship-based use.

Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Appeal to Ridicule Fallacy.
No, a genuine attempt to assist you with the character you're portraying. You can play it for laughs up to a point, but you've gone a little too far for plausibility.

Dave
__________________
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:34 AM   #186
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
He was not doing that, he was simply pointing out the source,

Which was me. lol

And why was he pointing out the source (Save for a Genetic Fallacy)?


Quote:
and in any event, challenging the credibility of one's claims is not fallacious.

It is when it fails and in lieu of an Argument/Position.



Quote:
Which is something someone can see from the top of Mount Everest which at 29,029 Feet, the Horizon is at 208 Miles because the Earth is not flat.

Really? Define "HORIZON"...?


regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:40 AM   #187
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
"NASA successfully launched its football-stadium-sized, heavy-lift super pressure balloon (SPB) from Wanaka, New Zealand, at 10:50 a.m. Tuesday, April 25 (6:50 p.m. April 24 in U.S. Eastern Time), on a mission designed to run 100 or more days floating at 110,000 feet (33.5 km) about the globe in the southern hemisphere's mid-latitude band."

Did you mean to quote another source showing the fact that the earth is round?

1. I CITED the Reference to show EXPLICITLY that 'satellites' are on "BALLOONS"; not to show the earth was flat....That's what the NATO Sea Sparrow is for.
2. Round and Flat aren't Mutually Exclusive. Pizzas are Round and...Flat. LP's are Round and...Flat.




Quote:
By the way, if the Earth was flat, you could see that balloon at all times from anywhere on the globe

1. This is Incoherent.
2. Only if you're Steve Austin.


regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:43 AM   #188
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,289
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

Really? Define "HORIZON"...?


regards
Really! I mean, you just said that. I am simply quoting you, where you said that at 29,029 Feet, the Horizon is at 208 Miles.

Which means..... hint hint... the earth is not flat!

Regards, TBD
__________________
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:45 AM   #189
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Excellent! Now you have just rebutted your earlier claim that the pressure of the atmosphere is dependent on its "container".

What on Earth??

My Claim was in order to have Atmospheric Pressure (Gas Pressure) to begin with you must have a Container. It's Prima Facie Indubitable to Incoherent 2nd Graders.



Quote:
And citing to papers mentioning the globe and hemispheres.

Well then, since they said "Globe" and "Hemispheres"...it must be TRUE !!


regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:47 AM   #190
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,289
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
1. I CITED the Reference to show EXPLICITLY that 'satellites' are on "BALLOONS"; not to show the earth was flat....That's what the NATO Sea Sparrow is for.
2. Round and Flat aren't Mutually Exclusive. Pizzas are Round and...Flat. LP's are Round and...Flat.


1. This is Incoherent.
2. Only if you're Steve Austin.


regards
Pizzas are not globes, pizzas are not spheres. But think if they were! Yummy!

protip; try not to say that something is "incoherent" and then respond with a comment that shows that it is not incoherent at all. Now why could Steve Austin see it? Because he had a extreme telescopic magnification and infrared capabilities! You know what else has extreme telescopic magnification? A telescope! Yay!
__________________
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:48 AM   #191
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
Not an ad hom, merely pointing out how lazy you are by not posting anything original here.

It is an Ad Hom.
Errr...it was Originally, "MINE".




Quote:
There are rules about that sort of thing, in addition to it being common courtesy.

Really, do tell...?



regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:51 AM   #192
Imhotep
Muse
 
Imhotep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 621
Daniel, do you assert that if you go west 10,000 - 20,000 miles that you reach some kind of barrier or patrol force that will stop you from proceeding?
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:51 AM   #193
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,289
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
What on Earth??

My Claim was in order to have Atmospheric Pressure (Gas Pressure) to begin with you must have a Container. It's Prima Facie Indubitable to Incoherent 2nd Graders

regards
I know, you just said that and you just proved it wrong! Which was so fun!

You said you needed a container, but then said as you go up the mountain the pressure drops. Unless you are suggesting that we are going through a bunch of containers, you have managed to prove your claim: "in order to have Atmospheric Pressure (Gas Pressure) to begin with you must have a Container" prima facie false!

Heck one might say It's Prima Facie Indubitable to Incoherent 2nd Graders!

Regards!
__________________
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".

Last edited by The Big Dog; 1st December 2017 at 10:59 AM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 10:57 AM   #194
Imhotep
Muse
 
Imhotep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 621
Quick aside... How do we determine it's indubitable to these 2nd Graders if they are incoherent?
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:00 AM   #195
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,289
Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
Quick aside... How do we determine it's indubitable to these 2nd Graders if they are incoherent?
prima facially of course!

Heck you can see that from the top of Everest without a telescope!
__________________
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:03 AM   #196
Daniel
Muse
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
1. You have completely misunderstood the appeal to motive fallacy. For it to apply in this case, your motive for promoting a flat earth would be questioned in an effort to undermine your "argument".

Factually Incorrect, you're misunderstanding it. He was Appealing to Motive/Intent for the Entire Case.



Quote:
2. Questioning what possible motive the entire scientific world could have for constructing an insanely elaborate conspiracy to lie about the geometry of this planet is perfectly reasonable. In fact, it's essential.

1. Thanks!!

You know when you're sitting in class for a week daydreaming---not paying any attention to the blocks of instruction, and the Professor suddenly exclaims, "TEST tomorrow, any questions?". "Hopefully" you realize you're trapped in a dilemma, sort of a "Catch 22". You absolutely need to ask questions BUT.... if you ask any questions "You're Exposed", the Professor along with everybody and their sister knows EXACTLY where you are at. This is what's happening now...to you.

Ya See Sir...

The sine qua non of "Science" is The Scientific Method.
The sine qua non of The Scientific Method is "Experiments" (Hypothesis Tests).
The sine qua non of Experiments is "Hypothesis".

"The Scientific Method is Hypothesis-Driven;"
http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~pyo22/s...ypothesis.html

A Scientific Hypothesis is your Experiment Statement; it expresses a TESTABLE proposed *CAUSE and EFFECT* Relationship - (The Phenomena that was Observed in Step 1) . It's a classic: "If" this "Then" that, motif.

"A Scientific Hypothesis is based on CAUSE-EFFECT reasoning. A scientific hypothesis does not merely state X and Y may be related, but EXPLAINS WHY they are related.
Loehle, C: Becoming a Successful Scientist -- Strategic Thinking for Scientific Discovery; Cambridge University Press, p. 57, 2010

Because Experiments (Hypothesis Tests) ONLY adjudicate 'Cause and Effect' --- How/Why questions. Whatever SHAPE something is (Flat, Sphere, or Spinning/Not Spinning ect)...is a "WHAT/IS" question; it's tantamount to asking:

How/Why is a Breadbox Rectangular, True or False??

i.e., You can NEVER formulate a Viable Alternative Hypothesis;
Ergo...you can NEVER formulate a Viable Null Hypothesis;
Ergo...This isn't "Science"!!

Ergo... by you merely claiming/contemplating this (let alone explicitly appealing to it...like you just did), unequivocally demonstrates that you wouldn't know what ACTUAL "Science" was if it landed on your head, spun around, and WHISTLED DIXIE!!

You just EXPOSED yourself, you'd "FAIL" 5th Grade General Science.


2. Oh and...Appeal to Motive/Intent (Fallacy).




Quote:
I have no idea what Shangri-la has to do with the motive for lying about Earth not being flat, not being the center of reality and gravity not existing. Please explain.

Well a: Flat/Non-Spinning/Domed/Geocentric Earth is Prima Facie Screaming "A CREATOR" for those that can barely 'fog a mirror' ...and you can't have that here in Shangri-La Fairytale Land.


regards
Daniel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:07 AM   #197
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist
 
DGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West of Northshore MA
Posts: 24,376
Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
Quick aside... How do we determine it's indubitable to these 2nd Graders if they are incoherent?
You read it in the shadows they cast and the gas they contain.................
__________________
"Remember that the goal of conspiracy rhetoric is to bog down the discussion, not to make progress toward a solution" Jay Windley

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:08 AM   #198
halleyscomet
Philosopher
 
halleyscomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7,648
Daniel,

How do you explain the flight times of commercial aircraft? They are consistent with a round Earth, not a flat one.

Clearly airline pilots would have to be in on the "conspiracy" to keep the "truth" secret. Why have none of them come forward with a confession?

What's the motive? Why go to all the trouble of faking a round Earth?

How can ANYONE get ALL the countries of the world to join in on such a massive conspiracy?
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:09 AM   #199
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,324
Is it fair to assume that Daniel believes that the earth is accelerating at a constant 32 ft per second square?

If so, I would love to hear some discussion of why it accelerates more at lower elevations than it does at higher elevations.

I mean, the front bumper of my car doesn't accelerate less than the rear bumper of my car. Without me running over it, that is.

Assuming we get the pressure thing worked out to everyone's satisfaction first. One thing at a time is fine by me.
__________________
I once proposed a fun ban.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:12 AM   #200
Imhotep
Muse
 
Imhotep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 621
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Well a: Flat/Non-Spinning/Domed/Geocentric Earth is Prima Facie Screaming "A CREATOR" for those that can barely 'fog a mirror' ...and you can't have that here in Shangri-La Fairytale Land.
Can you explain further? What makes a flat earth more likely a creation of god than a spherical earth? Thanks.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:29 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.