ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Michael Flynn , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 1st December 2017, 11:24 AM   #81
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I just don't see this being yuuuge or going anywhere.

I think Flynn is the end of this tunnel.
Based on....?
Old 1st December 2017, 11:25 AM   #82
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

WTF? Apparently you are not paying attention.

It's telling that other crimes he has admitted to (not registering as a foreign agent, lying on the security form, receiving millions in undeclared payments, and maybe conspiring to kidnap a legal resident) were not included because it suggests an exchange to get other members of the Trump admin, specifically Trump and Kushne, and of course, outside the admin, Donnie Jr.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 1st December 2017 at 11:28 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:25 AM   #83
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Doesn't this strike you as an abuse of process - surely this run contrary to justice?

I can't tell whether you're joking, but the answer is no. It's not an abuse of process to fail to charge someone with a crime. Prosecutors have broad discretion unless they're preferring one class of citizens over another (whites/people of color or Protestants/Catholics). Since Flynn and his son are probably the same color and religion, that shouldn't be a factor.

Flynn doesn't appear to be testifying to anything illegal outside his own behavior.

... in public, yet.

There is no way this tunnel ends with one charge of lying to the FBI. Flynn was in constant communication with Jared, Don Jr., and Trump himself. They may not convict anybody higher up than Flynn, but they'll definitely prefer charges.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:28 AM   #84
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Just a reminder: "collusion" became "criminal conspiracy" the moment Trump's team knew the Russians' intelligence was the product of hacked emails, and did not immediately report such. We know they had such knowledge at least as early as March 2016.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:28 AM   #85
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Mueller was appointed in May.

The FBI interviews in question were in January regarding Flynn's calls and election collusion. Long before Mueller was appointed.

What's your point? That an investigation into the Trump campaign's ties to Russia was about to happen was leaked back in November 2016. It was officially confirmed by Comey in March 2017, as being already in progress.

He lied to the FBI. If that's all they had, he probably would have been charged with that earlier than now.

ETA: The moment Flynn's lawyers stopped talking to Trump's lawyers is likely when the FBI informed Flynn and his lawyers of their intention to charge Flynn. That was very recent. As I said, it's very likely that they got a lot more out of Flynn than we're currently aware of.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 1st December 2017 at 11:34 AM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:39 AM   #86
Segnosaur
Philosopher

It's a very gray area because Flynn can say that he believed he had governmental authorization to make the contacts, since an incoming admin official directed him. The Act is specifically about contacts without authorization.
I believe the proper saying is "ignorance of the law is no excuse".

Flynn was not some 20-something neophyte. He had been around for decades, serving at some of the highest levels of government. He should have known about restrictions about negotiating with foreign countries.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 11:56 AM   #87
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...lea/913350001/

After over 33 years of military service to our country, including nearly five years in combat away from my family, and then my decision to continue to serve the United States, it has been extraordinarily painful to endure these many months of false accusations of "treason" and other outrageous acts. Such false accusations are contrary to everything I have ever done and stood for. But I recognize that the actions I acknowledged in court today were wrong, and, through my faith in God, I am working to set things right. My guilty plea and agreement to cooperate with the Special Counsel's Office reflect a decision I made in the best interests of my family and of our country. I accept full responsibility for my actions.
An admitted liar and felon lamenting the pain of enduring “false accusations”.

It just breaks your heart, doesn’t it?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:00 PM   #88
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Flynn doesn't appear to be testifying to anything illegal outside his own behavior.
One possibility. This charge means that they have not tipped their hand about what they are really chasing and who.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:03 PM   #89
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

WTF? Apparently you are not paying attention.

It's telling that other crimes he has admitted to (not registering as a foreign agent, lying on the security form, receiving millions in undeclared payments, and maybe conspiring to kidnap a legal resident) were not included because it suggests an exchange to get other members of the Trump admin, specifically Trump and Kushne, and of course, outside the admin, Donnie Jr.
Right, so why didn't the FBI charge Flynn during it's own investigation?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:04 PM   #90
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I believe the proper saying is "ignorance of the law is no excuse".

Flynn was not some 20-something neophyte. He had been around for decades, serving at some of the highest levels of government. He should have known about restrictions about negotiating with foreign countries.
Some experienced lawyers are unsure of that act's scope.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:06 PM   #91
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
What's your point? That an investigation into the Trump campaign's ties to Russia was about to happen was leaked back in November 2016. It was officially confirmed by Comey in March 2017, as being already in progress.

He lied to the FBI. If that's all they had, he probably would have been charged with that earlier than now.

ETA: The moment Flynn's lawyers stopped talking to Trump's lawyers is likely when the FBI informed Flynn and his lawyers of their intention to charge Flynn. That was very recent. As I said, it's very likely that they got a lot more out of Flynn than we're currently aware of.
It is the Special Counsel Mueller charging Flynn, not the FBI.

Old 1st December 2017, 12:08 PM   #92
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Not their job.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:13 PM   #93
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

It is the Special Counsel Mueller charging Flynn, not the FBI.

If the charges came closer to the actual act, and that's all the FBI had, it would have been someone else filing the charges.

Again, what's your point?
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:14 PM   #94
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Doesn't this strike you as an abuse of process - surely this run contrary to justice?
How so?

It's commonplace for prosecutors to exert some leverage in order to gain some advantage and cooperation. Michael Flynn Jr. is not a child, but a full growed man. If the threat of prosecution of Junior prompts cooperation from Senior, I'm not sure I see that that as unjust.

If Junior honestly could be prosecuted, but a deal will prevent that prosecution, then it seems to me that Flynn is benefiting, rather than being harmed by this deal. Of course, if Junior is innocent of all wrongdoing, then I'd agree that a threat to prosecute him in order to obtain Senior's cooperation would be damned dirty.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:15 PM   #95
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Not their job.
Flynn offered to testify in exchange for immunity in March regarding the FBI investigation of election collusion.

So Flynn and his lawyers were already worried about prosecution.

Old 1st December 2017, 12:16 PM   #96
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Flynn offered to testify in exchange for immunity in March regarding the FBI investigation of election collusion.

What. Is. Your. Point.

You're just flapping your fingers here.
Old 1st December 2017, 12:20 PM   #97
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Still, the FBI would not be the ones charging him. It is not their job.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:21 PM   #98
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
What. Is. Your. Point.

You're just flapping your fingers here.
So what? Why does my finger flapping upset you so?

I will be the one that has to eat crow, not you.

Old 1st December 2017, 12:27 PM   #99
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Comey seems to be enjoying this:

Quote:
James Comey

@Comey

“But justice roll down like waters and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream” Amos 5:24

Old 1st December 2017, 12:28 PM   #100
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://start.att.net/news/read/artic...de_substan-tca

There you go...

Flynn will help prosecute "another person".

Old 1st December 2017, 12:33 PM   #101
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

okay.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/micha...ry?id=50849354

ABC’s Brian Ross says a source familiar with the matter says Flynn is prepared to testify against Trump, members of his family, Trump staff, & that Trump ordered him to contact the Russians. Ross says Flynn made the decision to cooperate 24 hours ago

Probably just "overblown and overhyped in the minds of progressives." though.
I think this explains Trump being more unhinged than usual during the past week. He goes mental when the walls are closing in.
Old 1st December 2017, 12:34 PM   #102
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I've scanned the thread rather quickly, but one or two posters seem to have missed that Flynn has ALREADY pleaded guilty. As with Manafort and Papadopoulos, sentencing will be deferred until they've gotten what the need from him.

More on this:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Ken White of Popehat, a former federal prosecutor turned defense attorney, offered some advice a while back: If the FBI is asking you questions about something specific, they probably already know the answer and are seeing if you will lie. Then they've got you.
He's just reiterated that in this tweet.

He also hilariously retweeted this from 2014.
Old 1st December 2017, 12:36 PM   #103
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I think this explains Trump being more unhinged than usual during the past week. He goes mental when the walls are closing in.
"Shut down all the garbage mashers on the Detention Level!"

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:39 PM   #104
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I guess you can look at it at least two ways:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ju...rticle/2642298

Judge warns Mike Flynn to cooperate with prosecutors for lighter sentence

Old 1st December 2017, 12:39 PM   #105
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Muller is running this just like he would in taking down a Mafia family:Start with the street level punks and work your way up.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:42 PM   #106
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Judge Napolitano on @FoxNews right now about the Flynn charges: "This is probably the tip of a prosecutorial iceberg. This is a nightmare for Donald Trump."

The consensus, even on fox news, is this is yuuuge.
Please oh please oh please. - Mike Pence
Old 1st December 2017, 12:42 PM   #107
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Comey seems to be enjoying this:
As am I! Dominoes falling one by one -- a thing of beauty for those of us who actually believe in truth, justice, and the American way.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I look forward to the day when I dredge up my early prediction of Trump's demise, for an extra helping of schadenfreude.
Old 1st December 2017, 12:52 PM   #108
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Oh man! Oh god! Oh man! Oh god! Oh man! Oh god! Oh man! Oh god! Oh man! Oh god! Oh man! Oh god!

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:57 PM   #109
Stacyhs
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Oh man! Oh god! Oh man! Oh god! Oh man! Oh god! Oh man! Oh god! Oh man! Oh god! Oh man! Oh god!
I need a cigarette now.
And I don't even smoke.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:58 PM   #110
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/OrinKerr/status/936646085543694337
Judge Napolitano on @FoxNews right now about the Flynn charges: "This is probably the tip of a prosecutorial iceberg. This is a nightmare for Donald Trump."

The consensus, even on fox news, is this is yuuuge.
One Fox analyst on Twitter does not make a consensus. That's your argument? Like I'm somehow supposed to take it seriously because Fox News says so (which they don't)?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:58 PM   #111
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Mike pence prayer seems to be answered as current source claim the very senior official is Kushner.

I predict Kushner is the next domino and that little bitch will be singing until he can sing no more.

ETA:

NBC Politics‏Verified account
@NBCPolitics
13m13 minutes ago
More
BREAKING: Jared Kushner is the “very senior member of the presidential transition team” mentioned in the statement of offense as speaking to Flynn on
Dec 22nd about the UN resolution regarding Israel, two people familiar with the matter tell @NBCNews

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 1st December 2017 at 01:01 PM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 12:59 PM   #112
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't be so sure that Pence isn't also a target. President Ryan, anyone?
Old 1st December 2017, 01:00 PM   #113
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
One Fox analyst on Twitter does not make a consensus.
Nor did I claim it did.

That's your argument?
No.

Like I'm somehow supposed to take it seriously because Fox News says so (which they don't)?
Go back to your kneejerk defense of trump while the rest of us discuss the facts.
Old 1st December 2017, 01:02 PM   #114
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Seems like the judge threatened Flynn with the max punishment if Flynn didn't give them someone else.

Which seems like a legal misstep?

Old 1st December 2017, 01:03 PM   #115
TellyKNeasuss
Graduate Poster

Sounds weak to me, he was the incoming NSA and would be expected to be contacting foreign governments.
And someone who had signed a contract to buy a house would be expected to start moving their stuff in and moving the seller's stuff out?

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:06 PM   #116
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
And someone who had signed a contract to buy a house would be expected to start moving their stuff in and moving the seller's stuff out?
Ummm...okay?

Old 1st December 2017, 01:06 PM   #117
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

One Fox analyst on Twitter does not make a consensus. That's your argument? Like I'm somehow supposed to take it seriously because Fox News says so (which they don't)?
Yea, you're right. This is a total nothingburger.
Old 1st December 2017, 01:10 PM   #118
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Um, what? Every single analyst I've seen so far has agreed that Mueller cut Flynn a deal to get indictable information on a larger player.

The point wasn't that one FOX commenter said so. The point was that even FOX commenters agree - that's how obvious it all is.

Seems like the judge threatened Flynn with the max punishment if Flynn didn't give them someone else.

Which seems like a legal misstep?

The judge didn't do that. He stressed that cooperation with prosecutors would be an important mitigating factor in sentencing. How is any of that a legal misstep?

L. Leader

Last edited by Loss Leader; 1st December 2017 at 01:13 PM.
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2017, 01:12 PM   #119
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Ummm...okay?
You don't move in until after settlement, not after just signing a contract. HTH.
Old 1st December 2017, 01:24 PM   #120
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Why not? He was charged, it looks like a classic plea bargain in exchange for further cooperation in the investigation of the Trump family.

Mueller still has stuff he holds over Flynn's head. Flynn offered to trade info for immunity ("I have a story to tell") months ago.

As for the nonsense he was told he had authorization, bingo, Trump is guilty:

Obstruction of justice, violations of the Logan Act, conspiracy to use the stolen emails, and conspiring with or accepting secret help from Putin et al in the election and that looks to be in exchange for lifting sanctions and the change in the US position on Ukraine and maybe even NATO.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics