ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Michael Flynn , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 4th December 2017, 09:34 AM   #281
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
The way it works is if you tell the feds you had oatmeal for breakfast on a particular date 2 months ago, but told them yesterday you had Cream of Wheat, that is a felony, locked in and on tape. No way out. It is a false statement, and relevance to the investigation is irrelevant.
Sure- happens every day and I am glad you brought this up! Happened to me just a year ago but it was cornflakes versus Cherios. Luckily they allow me access to this computer in the prison library and I should be released on parole by next June.

Oh- you did leave out the jury trial and sentencing by the judge. I was lucky there too- the jury was very sympathetic and so didn't convict me on the "eating soggy cereal" charge and the judge threw out the capital punishment option.

Last edited by Giordano; 4th December 2017 at 09:49 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 09:49 AM   #282
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
The one in which you desperately want to downplay something that looks like the first of a bunch of dominoes falling.
The attempts at denial by the Trump supporters seem pitiful ("sad"?) to me. The play has opened and the script is precisely that used over and over again in the past to uncover illegal conspiracies. I don't know if Trump will be President or not at the end of Act V of this play, but I am certain that Flynn cooperating with Mueller means for Trump and his administration the same as what "Great Birnam wood to high Dunsinane hill shall come..." meant for MacBeth.

As a relevant real life example (for those too young to remember) I suggest considering James Dean and his role in how the Watergate scandal was uncovered. Very clear parallels.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 10:09 AM   #283
BrooklynBaby
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
In what universe?
That is the way it works. That is why you should never talk to a fed without first consulting a lawyer. It is why EVERYONE on the right said this witch hunt would result in them taking down a few people for "lying" to the feds, then try to use that to force their victims to atttempt to find anything to give the feds to make it go away. That is why when the grand triumph of an indictment for "lying" is issued, it is actually a failure, i.e. a nothingburger in today's terminology. The feds' power is indeed so broad that the "false" information provided to them doesn't need to be even remotely related to what is actually being investigated. Indeed, Mueller's title should be "Special Counsel in Charge of Securing Perjury Traps".
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 10:09 AM   #284
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

The one in which you desperately want to downplay something that looks like the first of a bunch of dominoes falling.

I don't think a year into the Trump election you red-eyed Russia truthers are in a position to call other people desperate.

And why the first domino? What's will Manafort and that _dopoulus guy? Fell into the void because the chain only exists in your imagination fueled by pre$$titute media.

Seriously, your energy would be better spent with opposing Trump's actual policies instead of wasting time with this nonsense. It will not only not lead to you getting rid of Trump, it will backfire and you should be detached a bit before that happens. Not that the mean Trumpers laugh over new buckets full of "liberal tears" when the boomerang hits in the end...
Old 4th December 2017, 10:24 AM   #285
carrps
Scholar

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
The attempts at denial by the Trump supporters seem pitiful ("sad"?) to me. The play has opened and the script is precisely that used over and over again in the past to uncover illegal conspiracies. I don't know if Trump will be President or not at the end of Act V of this play, but I am certain that Flynn cooperating with Mueller means for Trump and his administration the same as what "Great Birnam wood to high Dunsinane hill shall come..." meant for MacBeth.

As a relevant real life example (for those too young to remember) I suggest considering James Dean and his role in how the Watergate scandal was uncovered. Very clear parallels.
John???
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 10:35 AM   #286
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

If Flynn pled guilty to an oatmeal for breakfast question, then he and his lawyer should be summarily executed for terminal stupidity.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 10:40 AM   #287
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Well pardon the **** out of me.
I hoped the Brady reference would show that the jab was light hearted. Maybe it was too close to the heart.

Quote:
It seemed for like a post or two that junior had thoughts of having an actual conversation.
There are several years of history to the contrary. Good on you for trying, though.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 10:55 AM   #288
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
The way it works is if you tell the feds you had oatmeal for breakfast on a particular date 2 months ago, but told them yesterday you had Cream of Wheat, that is a felony, locked in and on tape. No way out. It is a false statement, and relevance to the investigation is irrelevant.
I think maybe you should reread the guilty plea if you really think he plead guilty of lying about irrelevant statements.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 11:47 AM   #289
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I think maybe you should reread the guilty plea if you really think he plead guilty of lying about irrelevant statements.
And what has kind of been lost in the shuffle, the crime of that lying was specifically that the lies obstructed the investigation into Russian interfering in the election.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 04:33 PM   #290
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
If Flynn pled guilty to an oatmeal for breakfast question, then he and his lawyer should be summarily executed for terminal stupidity.
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post

Yeah, it's weird... It's as if some people are implying that Flynn and his lawyer are too stupid to know when Flynn hasn't done anything wrong.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 04:47 PM   #291
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Yeah, it's weird... It's as if some people are implying that Flynn and his lawyer are too stupid to know when Flynn hasn't done anything wrong.
FLETC was a long time ago but I believe the statute reads "as to a material fact". You can't be charge for lying for something immaterial to the matter at hand.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 05:27 PM   #292
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carrps View Post
John???
It wasn't the country-western singer with the breakfast sausages??? Or the actor who played the troubled characters and drove too fast? Wetren't they also involved with the Watergate break in or the cover up?

Oops- I stand corrected.
Old 4th December 2017, 05:34 PM   #293
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
And why the first domino? What's will Manafort and that _dopoulus guy?
They've been indicted. Flynn has flipped. There is a very meaningful difference.

Seriously, your energy would be better spent with opposing Trump's actual policies
No worries. I'm doing that, too.
Old 4th December 2017, 05:48 PM   #294
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And what has kind of been lost in the shuffle, the crime of that lying was specifically that the lies obstructed the investigation into Russian interfering in the election.
No, no...“willfully and knowingly” making “false, fictitious and fraudulent statements” to the FBI about his conversations with Russia’s ambassador is exactly like misremembering Honey Nut vs Apple Cinnamon Cheerios.
Old 4th December 2017, 05:51 PM   #295
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Flynn has flipped.

That's your opinion.

No worries. I'm doing that, too.

Fine.
Old 4th December 2017, 05:59 PM   #296
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

That's your opinion.
True, it is still early and a lot could still happen, but it is not just my opinion.

There is no reason for Flynn to not fight the measly charge if it's not part of a deal to get out of something worse. He plead guilty because Mueller made it worth it.
Old 4th December 2017, 06:29 PM   #297
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

There is no reason for Flynn to not fight the measly charge if it's not part of a deal to get out of something worse. He plead guilty because Mueller made it worth it.

How could he fight them? There's no doubt he lied about these things. But there could be a reason for Mueller to get this off the table without much more attention to how the lying came about. If you have some time, here's a detailed argument along those lines. We'll see what happens but I'm pretty sure it will turn out that your opinion is based on flawed information.
Old 4th December 2017, 06:37 PM   #298
plague311
Great minds think...

How could he fight them? There's no doubt he lied about these things. But there could be a reason for Mueller to get this off the table without much more attention to how the lying came about. If you have some time, here's a detailed argument along those lines. We'll see what happens but I'm pretty sure it will turn out that your opinion is based on flawed information.
He easily could have fought it. People take lesser **** to trial all of the time, and with just as much, if not more, evidence. He could have trotted out any myriad of defenses, but he didn't. He was charged and plead without as much as a whimper.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 07:40 PM   #299
kellyb
Philosopher

I'm not familiar with that website, but that does seems like a reasonable argument presented.

I'm still 50/50 on if something Russia related could bring Trump down or not. I sense the Russians would have tried to help literally any American running for office who didn't seems to be a fan of our military adventurism in the ME, the same way Gulf Oil Monarchies can be expected to root for US politicians who defer to Kissinger's school of geopolitical thought.
Geostrategy is weird, grotesque stuff all around. It's just taken as de facto "legal" when the personalities involved are of a certain, established class.
I'm reminded of little Nayirah on CNN, weeping over Kuwait incubator babies.
Old 4th December 2017, 07:47 PM   #300
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

How could he fight them?
The Sessions Defense.

Last edited by Upchurch; 4th December 2017 at 07:51 PM.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 07:58 PM   #301
logger
Suspended

True, it is still early and a lot could still happen, but it is not just my opinion.

Pleading to a weak process crime doesn’t say much for Muellers case.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 08:00 PM   #302
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
He easily could have fought it. People take lesser **** to trial all of the time, and with just as much, if not more, evidence. He could have trotted out any myriad of defenses, but he didn't. He was charged and plead without as much as a whimper.
Takes money to do that, why fight it when you’re presented with an easy out.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 08:07 PM   #303
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

What would be hilarious is if the Trump regime falls because of obstruction of justice and it is found out that they were trying to cover up a non-crime in the first place!
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 08:11 PM   #304
TellyKNeasuss
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Pleading guilty to a felony, which could result in serving time in jail, is an "easy out"?

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 08:22 PM   #305
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
What would be hilarious is if the Trump regime falls because of obstruction of justice and it is found out that they were trying to cover up a non-crime in the first place!
Have you too forgotten about the Donnie Jr meeting with the Russians? And all those coincidentally timed Trump announcements about dirt soon to be released? Then there was the change in the GOP platform on the Ukraine? Trump's not so successful efforts getting Russian sanctions overturned and his current foot dragging about implementing some new ones?

Are people really that distracted by current events that they cannot keep the recent past events in their line of sight as well?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 08:24 PM   #306
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
Pleading guilty to a felony, which could result in serving time in jail, is an "easy out"?
The whole point of pleading guilty?
Old 4th December 2017, 08:25 PM   #307
logger
Suspended

Have you too forgotten about the Donnie Jr meeting with the Russians? And all those coincidentally timed Trump announcements about dirt soon to be released? Then there was the change in the GOP platform on the Ukraine? Trump's not so successful efforts getting Russian sanctions overturned and his current foot dragging about implementing some new ones?

Are people really that distracted by current events that they cannot keep the recent past events in their line of sight as well?
A big juicy nothing burger.
Old 4th December 2017, 08:39 PM   #308
Stacko
Philosopher

So now Trump's lawyer is essentially saying, on record, what Trump said in the tweet: before the firing, Trump knew Flynn told the same lie to the FBI as he did to Pence.
Quote:
Dowd said Monday that White House lawyers did not expressly tell Trump that Flynn had lied to the FBI before he was fired. Rather, he said, Trump was told that Flynn "had said to the agents what he said to VP."

If Trump knew Flynn committed a possible felony by lying to FBI investigators, that could be a significant admission when it comes to obstruction of justice, according to lawyers who have followed the investigation.

“It’s harmful to him,” Georgetown University law professor Michael Seidman said. “If he knew that somebody committed a violation and is trying to stop the investigation, that makes it much harder to prove that it wasn’t corrupt.”
Story.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 04:14 AM   #309
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Pleading to a weak process crime doesn’t say much for Muellers case.
Or it speaks to what Flynn has to offer, as does Flynn’s acceptance of the deal. We shall see.
Old 5th December 2017, 04:23 AM   #310
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
From that article:
[/quote]Trump has denied that he asked Comey to drop the investigation. But his chief lawyer, John Dowd, suggested Monday it wouldn’t even matter if he had – because a president cannot obstruct justice by telling the FBI how he hopes a criminal investigation will be resolved.[/quote]
IOW, if the president does it, it's not illegal.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 04:48 AM   #311
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
IOW, if the president does it, it's not illegal.
“Law and order” is for the common people*, not for the aristocracy.

* blacks and Mexicans
Old 5th December 2017, 07:33 AM   #312
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I'm not familiar with that website, but that does seems like a reasonable argument presented.
Seemingly unknown to Kislyak and Flynn US the FBI was recording the call.

On what planet is that "reasonable" ?
Old 5th December 2017, 07:34 AM   #313
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post

With an appropriate warrant, why would that be unreasonable?
Old 5th December 2017, 07:35 AM   #314
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
With an appropriate warrant, why would that be unreasonable?
Sorry I was unclear ... the "Seemingly unknown" part I find to be unreasonable.
Old 5th December 2017, 08:46 AM   #315
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Odd that you should ask, "How could he fight them?" in the same post where you link to someone suggesting he should fight them by claiming entrapment. There is another poster here who suggests that any evidence coming from Mueller's investigation can be challenged as inadmissible because the investigation itself was not legally justified. It would appear that Flynn and his lawyer agree with me that neither of those defenses would likely succeed.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 09:03 AM   #316
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Really? The article claims that if Mueller didn't charge Flynn for a Logan Act violation, then it's "conclusively established that there was nothing unlawful about Flynn’s conversations with Kislyak." That's not what I call a "reasonable argument" since Mueller also didn't charge Flynn with being an unregistered foreign agent or for lying on his security form or for conspiring to commit kidnapping. Does that "conclusively establish" that he didn't commit those crimes, or does it imply that he has a really good story to tell in exchange for dropping those charges? (Yes, I'm asking you a question that I already know the answer to, which according to another "reasonable argument" in that article is entrapment.)
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 10:56 AM   #317
plague311
Great minds think...

Spoken by someone who has never been convicted of a felony.

Let me tell you from personal experience, it's a constant form of concern for every application, resume, or attempt at doing anything you want. Having a felony is used as fodder if trying to run for anything public, or being in the public at all.

It's a public record and once you plead guilty it's next to impossible to get taken off of your record. There is nothing easy about having a felony, no matter what.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 12:03 PM   #318
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Spoken by someone who has never been convicted of a felony.

Let me tell you from personal experience, it's a constant form of concern for every application, resume, or attempt at doing anything you want. Having a felony is used as fodder if trying to run for anything public, or being in the public at all.

It's a public record and once you plead guilty it's next to impossible to get taken off of your record. There is nothing easy about having a felony, no matter what.
You’re not understanding. Flynn has said this is ruining and bankrupting his family. He’s literally forced into this which is what this process is designed to do. You’ve obviously never gone up against people who have an unlimited amount of resources.
Old 5th December 2017, 12:56 PM   #319
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post

We shouldn't spy on the Russian ambassador when there is an investigation of Russian interference in our election and hacking a major party's emails?

OK never mind, I see your correction.

Pretty much the fact this stuff happened makes it reasonable it could happen doesn't it? These guys all seem to be blatant blunderers. Perhaps they just felt invulnerable.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 5th December 2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 5th December 2017, 08:58 PM   #320
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps they just felt invulnerable.
I think this is exactly the case. They felt that they own the government so they could do anything and get away with it. Trump is still enjoying this fiction because the Republicans are letting him get away with it.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics