ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th December 2017, 08:12 PM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

RNC reinstates support for Moore after Trump endorsement

Remember last month when all those Republicans were calling for Roy Moore to drop out of the race, and the RNC and the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) said that they wouldn't support his election campaign? Well, never mind about that. Trump has now formally endorsed him and the rest of the Republican party is falling into line.

RNC reinstates support for Moore after Trump endorsement

Quote:
The Republican National Committee is reinstating its support of Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore after initially cutting ties over allegations of sexual misconduct, The Hill confirmed on Monday.

Breitbart News first reported that the RNC had decided to step back into the race just hours after President Trump fully endorsed the controversial candidate.

Two sources confirmed RNC's renewed support.

"We can confirm our involvement in the Alabama Senate race," an RNC official told The Hill.

A second source close to the RNC told The Hill that "the Breitbart story is real.

Trump endorsed Moore in a tweet that blasted out to millions of his followers as well as in a follow-up call aboard Air Force One, in which the president said, "Go get 'em, Roy."

The report comes after officials at the RNC and the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC), the party's Senate campaign arm, told The Associated Press last month that they would not support Moore even after Trump stood by him.

The two GOP campaign groups cut ties with Moore in October, halting their financial and field support for his bid as a chorus of Republican lawmakers called on him to step aside.
Old 4th December 2017, 08:46 PM   #2
fuelair
Suspended

They just cannot stop being anal orifices!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 09:14 PM   #3
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

They saw the polls that indicate Republicans, in general, don't care. If Moore was losing in the polls, they would still be acting like pedophilia was bad.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 09:22 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
They saw the polls that indicate Republicans, in general, don't care. If Moore was losing in the polls, they would still be acting like pedophilia was bad.
14 years old is not pedophilia.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 09:27 PM   #5
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Ah, the party of Christian values.

*spit*
Old 4th December 2017, 09:29 PM   #6
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Wow. That says a lot.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 09:36 PM   #7
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Remember last month when all those Republicans were calling for Roy Moore to drop out of the race, and the RNC and the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) said that they wouldn't support his election campaign? Well, never mind about that. Trump has now formally endorsed him and the rest of the Republican party is falling into line.
I don't think it had anything to do with Trump's endorsement. Moore is a Republican. That's all that matters. That's all that ever mattered. I'm amazed the GOP didn't understand this a month ago.

The GOP now have to pretend there never was any objection to Moore, branding them not just as unprincipled but also as hypocrites. And I think people notice. The party is declining in popularity. Congressional Republicans are patting themselves on the back for passing something - without seeming to understand that nobody else is impressed.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 09:47 PM   #8
sts60
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Ah, the party of Christian values.

*spit*
I'm Christian. I don't recognize child molesting as one of my values, nor for that matter corruption, treason, bigotry, misogyny, incompetence, hypocrisy, willful ignorance, intolerance, contempt for people who aren't rich, or abuse of the environment. But then, I don't think any decent person does.

The modern Republican Party, though, is just fine with all of them.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 10:13 PM   #9
Mumbles
Illuminator

...As I said, they're now the party of white supremacists and child molesters.

I suppose we could ad a few other terms, such as "homophobia".
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2017, 11:41 PM   #10
Octavo
Illuminator

Wow. That says a lot.
She was still prepubescent at 14?
Old 4th December 2017, 11:50 PM   #11
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Makes a great campaign ad.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 12:29 AM   #12
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. That says a lot.
Well, strictly speaking, it isn't. It's ephebophila or hebophila depending on whether the 14-year old was pubescent or post-pubescent.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 12:42 AM   #13
This is The End

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Well, strictly speaking, it isn't. It's ephebophila or hebophila depending on whether the 14-year old was pubescent or post-pubescent.

But no one knows those words off hand.

So people just use the word everyone knows so people know what the **** is being discussed.

I'm fine with that even though there are pros and cons in doing so.

Especially considering what age the other person is that is with the 14-year old.
Old 5th December 2017, 12:51 AM   #14
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Can we agree that the GOP is the party of child molestation? That is true whether the girl was pre- or post pubescent.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 01:02 AM   #15
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Can we agree that the GOP is the party of child molestation? That is true whether the girl was pre- or post pubescent.
Surely, we can agree that the GOP is the party that cares more about even one party-line vote in the Senate than they do about being called the party of child molestation.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 01:07 AM   #16
erlando
Graduate Poster

It's "nice" to know to stay away from Alabama where a large portion of the population is seemingly A-OK with child molestation.

But I was planning to stay away from the States anyway. At least until americans get their **** together and fix their country. Something is seriously broken.
Old 5th December 2017, 01:08 AM   #17
This is The End

I never really completely understood the "but but but it's not technically pedophilia because X age is the cutoff". I mean, why would you even remotely want to be defending something like this even if it is technically correct.

OK so one is just pretty ****** evil, and the other is worse, it's extremely ******* sick and evil.

Yeah, we're so sorry that we accused your guy that is just pretty evil with being extremely evil! So sorry.
Old 5th December 2017, 01:34 AM   #18
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Yes.
Old 5th December 2017, 01:38 AM   #19
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
I never really completely understood the "but but but it's not technically pedophilia because X age is the cutoff". I mean, why would you even remotely want to be defending something like this even if it is technically correct.
Paedophilia and related don't have X age cutoffs. They are defined by stages of development.

And it's being defended (as I said in another thread), because words mean things. Call him a child molester or whatever, but if you want to label his behavior with a sciency word, then use the right one.

Like someone in another thread said that Euthanized is just another word for killed. No, it's not. They have different meanings and that is useful to convey additional information.

/rant.
Old 5th December 2017, 01:59 AM   #20
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Vote for Roy Moore because, technically, he's not a pedophile!
Old 5th December 2017, 02:23 AM   #21
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I'm getting really close to flipping to the team that says things like "Republicans are Scum". Honestly, calling them "deplorable" would be a step up for what the GOP has become.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 02:23 AM   #22
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Vote for Roy Moore because, technically, he's not a pedophile!
That's a bumper-sticker waiting to happen.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 04:55 AM   #23
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Hey he is running against someone so soft on crime he put away Klansmen who bombed the church killing little girls. Alabama will not tolerate that kind of behavior from their elected officials.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 06:09 AM   #24
Cain
Straussian

Cucks called for Trump to drop out after the Access Hollywood tape. He said, "**** you, no" and won. That's how you deal with the gaystream media. Take back your country and Make America Great Again. The FBI should stop investigating Trump and start investigating Doug Jones. Also, if Russia is listening, they should help out, too.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 06:22 AM   #25
Giz
Philosopher

I don't think this can be 'technicalited' into being an acceptable decision. Good leadership would have involved the president trying to reverse the opinions in the alabama GOP, not falling in line with them.

Moore seems to be reprehensible and unfit to be a Senator in a way that should be recognizable to both sides of the political spectrum.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 06:42 AM   #26
Cleon
King of the Pod People

GOP 1860: End slavery! Preserve the Union!
GOP 1980s: Morality! Personal Responsibility!
GOP 2017: It's ebophilia, not pedophilia!
Old 5th December 2017, 06:59 AM   #27
Lithrael
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
I don't think this can be 'technicalited' into being an acceptable decision.
Dictionary nitpick is not defense, though I can see how it reads that way.

Say Bob murders Charles Smith. Then someone goes “Bob is scum! He murdered John Smith!” It’s not a defense of Bob to say “no he didn’t. The guy who’s dead is named Charles Smith.” Bob can still be scum. The “no he didn’t” part is given priority by the language parsey bits so it sounds like defense when it’s meant as tech correction.

Last edited by Lithrael; 5th December 2017 at 07:03 AM.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 08:10 AM   #28
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Now that we've heard from the Child Molester Defense League....

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 08:23 AM   #29
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Now that we've heard from the Child Molester Defense League....
So one can't even correct the technical use of a term without being said to defend child molestation?

Is that what passes as skepticism and reason these days?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 08:29 AM   #30
phiwum
Philosopher

Nice. It isn't technically pedophilia, but it's nonetheless seedy as hell. If you want to hang your hat on the "not pedophilia" technicality, good luck to you, but a thirty-two year old man diddling a fourteen year old person is pretty disgusting. Far worse than what Franken is accused of.

But never mind. He's got the R, so let's ignore these accusations. Not a big deal, especially compared to grabbing a butt or six in situations in which Franken should not have done so. Good to see you have principles.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 08:31 AM   #31
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
It's "nice" to know to stay away from Alabama where a large portion of the population is seemingly A-OK with child molestation.

But I was planning to stay away from the States anyway. At least until americans get their **** together and fix their country. Something is seriously broken.
Totally fair assessment from where I sit.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 08:39 AM   #32
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
So one can't even correct the technical use of a term without being said to defend child molestation?

Is that what passes as skepticism and reason these days?
Please don't pull out the stock issue "But this is a skeptics forum" card ands its requisite fainting couch. This was not a techincal accuracy correction, this is an attempt to deflect the attention from the habits of an adult male molesting underage kids.

Frankly the who 'not a pedophile but an ehebophile' card comes with its own rank stench as well. Its invariably pulled out by weeaboo types who use the term to justify just why they are harassing the Nintendo employee who may (Or may not) have removed a part of a video game where you fondle a 13 year old girl. Like somehow changing the term magically makes it less creepy and wrong.

Oh, ehobophile? How do you pronounce that?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 08:40 AM   #33
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Nice. It isn't technically pedophilia, but it's nonetheless seedy as hell. If you want to hang your hat on the "not pedophilia" technicality, good luck to you, but a thirty-two year old man diddling a fourteen year old person is pretty disgusting.
Do you object to people calling abortion murdering babies?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 08:42 AM   #34
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Moore seems to be reprehensible and unfit to be a Senator in a way that should be recognizable to both sides of the political spectrum.

And this is what I don't get - why Moore? Why so much support for him, personally? Is there literally no other Republican who could run in his place?

It's bad enough we have so many people willing to support a child molester over a Democrat, but it's particularly disturbing when it appears that the child molester is the best possible candidate that the Republicans can put up.

Is there seriously no one else to fill this role? And if there isn't, shouldn't the Republican supporters here be pretty *********** concerned about that?
Old 5th December 2017, 08:43 AM   #35
Argumemnon
World Maker

Please don't pull out the stock issue "But this is a skeptics forum" card ands its requisite fainting couch.
If you're being irrational or unskeptical, you can expect me to bring out the card. If you don't like it, you can either leave or strive to become more skeptical or rational. Don't blame me for your failings.

Quote:
This was not a techincal accuracy correction, this is an attempt to deflect the attention from the habits of an adult male molesting underage kids.
And how the hell would you know? How would you distinguish what theprestige did from what I'd do in the same situation, which would be to make the same correction? Is the correction ever valid, then?

Quote:
Frankly the who 'not a pedophile but an ehebophile' card comes with its own rank stench as well. Its invariably pulled out by weeaboo types who use the term to justify just why they are harassing the Nintendo employee who may (Or may not) have removed a part of a video game where you fondle a 13 year old girl. Like somehow changing the term magically makes it less creepy and wrong.
I could just as easily say that this reaction to the correction is simply due to the fact that you know "pedophile" carries a much greater stigma and would rather pin the label in anyone who touches a minor regardless of whether the label is accurate.

Old 5th December 2017, 08:49 AM   #36
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

If you're being irrational or unskeptical, you can expect me to bring out the card. If you don't like it, you can either leave or strive to become more skeptical or rational. Don't blame me for your failings.
Its is neither irrational nor unskeptical to note that a partisan poster is desperately trying to deflect the issue on the basis of a very minor technicality.

Old 5th December 2017, 08:50 AM   #37
Argumemnon
World Maker

Its is neither irrational nor unskeptical to note that a partisan poster is desperately trying to deflect the issue on the basis of a very minor technicality.
It's irrational to assume that this is what's going on without any justification.

The "pedophile" accusation is a pet peeve of mine and I keep correcting people on it, and yet it's not a deflection when I do, any more than correcting someone's grammar is a deflection of their point.

Old 5th December 2017, 08:56 AM   #38
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
And this is what I don't get - why Moore? Why so much support for him, personally? Is there literally no other Republican who could run in his place?
At this stage functionally no unless they were willing to postpone the election and start all over again from scratch with a new primary process. Even then there's a good chance that Moore would end up being successful. He is exactly the sort of candidate to appeal to today's GOP voter - an unabashed racist, Christian dominionist who also happens to have (or have had) a taste for young girls.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 08:57 AM   #39
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post

It's bad enough we have so many people willing to support a child molester over a Democrat, but it's particularly disturbing when it appears that the child molester is the best possible candidate that the Republicans can put up.

Is there seriously no one else to fill this role? And if there isn't, shouldn't the Republican supporters here be pretty *********** concerned about that?
It's too late to get anyone else on the ballot. It's Moore or nothing for them.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 09:09 AM   #40
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

The "pedophile" accusation is a pet peeve of mine and I keep correcting people on it,
That's nice. I've encountered too many folks who sexually abuse teens or justify soliciting nude images from kids as young as 13 try to justify their actions with the cry of 'but its not pedophilia, its ehebophilia'. As if that makes it allllll better.

Have fun.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics