ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th December 2017, 12:11 PM   #1
wasapi
Illuminator

Help, advise needed!

So, about 5 months ago I bought a new, cheap Dell laptop for $200. It has been nothing but trouble, which has caused me to phone Dell tech support several times. Then, a few days ago I got a virus, and once again I called.

I was told that the virus could be taken care of, new protection would be installed, and the on going problem of it being so slow would also be fixed. I gave them my credit card info to buy the protection.

The virus was gone and the computer working, but it was still running frustratingly slow.

This morning I received notice from my bank that I was overdrawn. It turns out Dell tech charged me $400, though I am still under warranty.

How should I handle this? I wrote Dell, and am getting ready to call my bank. Can anyone advise me?

Thanks so much.
Julia
Old 6th December 2017, 12:22 PM   #2
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Dell charged you $400 for virus removal and protection?
Old 6th December 2017, 12:31 PM   #3
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I am concerned that you may not have actually been talking to a genuine Dell tech representative. It sounds like it could have been a scam or fraud.

Can you explain your certainty that the person(s) helping you was legitimate?
Old 6th December 2017, 12:34 PM   #4
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I am concerned that you may not have actually been talking to a genuine Dell tech representative. It sounds like it could have been a scam or fraud.

I think this is what happened. Check with your bank and contest the charges. Even charges to a debit card can be contested. You have the same protections that you would have with a credit card.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 12:37 PM   #5
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Yeah, $400 is way wrong. If you were not aware that they were charging you $400, I'd contest it with your bank ASAP and then try and figure out who exactly you were talking with.

Did you contact them or how did the contact occur?
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 01:45 PM   #6
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Now she can't respond because ransomware.
Old 6th December 2017, 02:54 PM   #7
wasapi
Illuminator

Thanks everyone. My bank just filed a claim, and they said they would try to have the money reversed and put back into my account. I feel stupid. After spending a total of 6 hours on the phone with tech support, the computer still runs as poorly as ever.

I don't know what type of reputation Dell has overall, and I don't know if the one I bought is just a lemon. I do know that I have had nothing but trouble with it almost from the beginning.
Old 6th December 2017, 02:58 PM   #8
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

The $400 sounds like "dealership" prices, although they should have confirmed the amount first.

As for the speed issue, what's the spec of the PC? Despite the marketing not all i5s (for instance) are the same, there's a whole range that goes from "not fast but doesn't use a lot of power" to "Full on gamer". This page gives you an idea of what to look for
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 03:04 PM   #9
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

$400÷6=$66 per hour. That might be a legitimate rate for computer consultation. But that's way too long to get you done. If the techie is working on commission or bonuses they might string along a novice user for their own personal profit.

Anyway, your computer already came with antivirus so you had protection.
Old 6th December 2017, 03:05 PM   #10
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Thanks everyone. My bank just filed a claim, and they said they would try to have the money reversed and put back into my account. I feel stupid.
Don't. They are good at what they do.

Quote:
After spending a total of 6 hours on the phone with tech support, the computer still runs as poorly as ever.

I don't know what type of reputation Dell has overall, and I don't know if the one I bought is just a lemon. I do know that I have had nothing but trouble with it almost from the beginning.
Dell is typically well regarded as a mass brand. In that price range it looks like you are getting a celeron processor and 2 (maybe 4) gigs of RAM. Enough to surf the web, I guess. The difference may be in whether you are trying to use Windows 10 on that hardware or Chrome, they seem to offer both. I would think Windows 10 could be a a bit much for such a simple system, but I don't really know. Chrome gets a bad rap, but may be a better option for a simplified system.

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 03:22 PM   #11
p0lka
Muse

When you pay someone to remove a virus, all they do is google how to remove the virus and then charge you money for something you could have done yourself for free.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 05:04 PM   #12
portlandatheist
Master Poster

If you have malware, you should really nuke and pave the operating system and not rely on any software package that claims to remove them(it works for much malware, but no guarantee). It is possible to remove and verify and ensure its removal using complex tools and analysis but that requires real effort and expertise.
Reinstalling the OS from scratch on a somewhat regular basis is a good practice anyway.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 04:20 AM   #13
paulhutch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I think this is what happened. Check with your bank and contest the charges. Even charges to a debit card can be contested. You have the same protections that you would have with a credit card.
There are two very important differences:
http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/20/pf/e...rds/index.html
Quote:
Under federal law, your personal liability for fraudulent charges on a credit card can't exceed $50. But if a fraudster uses your debit card, you could be liable for $500 or more, depending on how quickly you report it.
Quote:
Plus, if someone uses your credit card, the charge is often credited back to your account immediately after it's reported, Ulzheimer said.
Yet, if a crook uses your debit card, not only can they drain your bank account, but it can take up to two weeks for the bank to investigate the fraud and reimburse your account.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 04:58 AM   #14
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks everyone. My bank just filed a claim, and they said they would try to have the money reversed and put back into my account. I feel stupid. After spending a total of 6 hours on the phone with tech support, the computer still runs as poorly as ever.

What model Dell is this? For $200.00 new, it can't be much of a laptop, but even a chromebook will surf the internet just fine.

What is running slow, exactly?

Is it the computer that is slow, or the internet that is slow?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 06:07 AM   #15
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

Did you look up Dell's number and call, or did you get a warning on your computer screen asking you to call a certain number?

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 06:48 AM   #16
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

These are sub $200 laptops from Dell:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/p...97239035629860

Intel® Celeron® Processor N3060
Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
2GB, 1600MHz, DDR3L
32GB eMMC

That is going to run like a dog, and I don't mean a greyhound - more like a Basset Hound.
Old 7th December 2017, 07:57 AM   #17
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

They're still making Celerons? I've always mentally added "de" in front of the name.
Old 7th December 2017, 08:10 AM   #18
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't think virus removal was covered by a warranty. They probably charged for it.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 02:55 PM   #19
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
There are two very important differences:
http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/20/pf/e...rds/index.html
Very true, and good catch.

My frustration is that there are so many people who think they have no protections with debit cards. Report fraud of any type as quickly as possible and your bank will be of great help. If not, find a new bank.

Old 7th December 2017, 02:56 PM   #20
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
They're still making Celerons? I've always mentally added "de" in front of the name.
I think they are OK for running chrome, but an actual OS would seem a bit of an ask.

Old 7th December 2017, 04:29 PM   #21
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

As others have mentioned, a $200 laptop is going to run slow no matter what you do..

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2017, 04:35 PM   #22
wasapi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
These are sub $200 laptops from Dell:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/p...97239035629860

Intel® Celeron® Processor N3060
Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
2GB, 1600MHz, DDR3L
32GB eMMC

That is going to run like a dog, and I don't mean a greyhound - more like a Basset Hound.
Yes, you nailed it! However, the "Basset Hound" is generous. I would have to suggest a senior, blind, 3 legged Basset Hound.
Old 7th December 2017, 04:49 PM   #23
wasapi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

Yes. I have used the same number to call that came in a booklet with the computer. I have called them several times. The first time I called their tech support was only a couple of weeks after purchase. I have had to call them about once every 3 weeks with one problem after another since then.
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM   #24
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Yes, you nailed it! However, the "Basset Hound" is generous.
I would have to suggest a senior, blind, 3 legged Basset Hound.

Maybe get a 32GB Jump drive and install Puppy Linux on it.
Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM   #25
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

So, about 5 months ago I bought a new, cheap Dell laptop for $200. It has been nothing but trouble, which has caused me to phone Dell tech support several times. Then, a few days ago I got a virus, and once again I called.

I was told that the virus could be taken care of, new protection would be installed, and the on going problem of it being so slow would also be fixed. I gave them my credit card info to buy the protection.

The virus was gone and the computer working, but it was still running frustratingly slow.

This morning I received notice from my bank that I was overdrawn. It turns out Dell tech charged me $400, though I am still under warranty.

How should I handle this? I wrote Dell, and am getting ready to call my bank. Can anyone advise me?

Thanks so much.
Julia
That sounds like a scam I nearly got caught-in a few years ago. The scam artists don't want you complaining to the credit cards company, because the CC company will stop taking charges from the. Long Story Short: Contact your credit card company.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet