ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 15th January 2018, 07:53 PM   #3161
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Ivana Trump:

1. He's not racist
2. He is a stable genius
3. They remain friends
4. He treated her fantastic during the marriage

I smell Putin Troll.
Quote:
"I don't think Donald's racist at all. Sometimes he says these things which are silly or [that] he doesn't really mean," she said. "But he's definitely not racist."
That is something your 68 year old aunt says about your 71 year old racist uncle.

ETA: if you asked me if my wife was racist, "sometimes she says these things" would not be part of my answer. This is a variation on, "I'm not racist but..."

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 15th January 2018 at 07:59 PM.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th January 2018, 08:42 PM   #3162
FenerFan
Master Poster

Ivana Trump:

1. He's not racist
2. He is a stable genius
3. They remain friends

I smell Putin Troll.
5. He gave me a $14 million settlement and $650K a year in alimony and child support.
Old 15th January 2018, 09:11 PM   #3163
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Why should we trust what someone born in a Sh**Hole country says? He is not remotely the kind of people we want here.
He (McCain) also has an adopted Bangladeshi daughter.

The Canal Zone was considered U.S., close enough to natural born.

And Panama isn't really a ***********. Canal revenue helps.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th January 2018, 09:16 PM   #3164
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by FenerFan View Post
5. He gave me a $14 million settlement and $650K a year in alimony and child support.
Ivana only gets $650K a year? That poor thing. But seriously - that does sound kind of paltry in light of Trump's alleged wealth, but he's probably pretty good at hiding assets.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th January 2018, 09:28 PM   #3165
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Ivana only gets $650K a year? That poor thing. But seriously - that does sound kind of paltry in light of Trump's alleged wealth, but he's probably pretty good at hiding assets.
Or faking his net worth.
Old 15th January 2018, 09:32 PM   #3166
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
My desires irrelevant. They don't lead it. They lead the executive branch. They do nothing related to leadership of the nation.
Okay, in your bizzaro Libertarian world he doesn't lead the nation. Do try to look the other way when he does though.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th January 2018, 09:33 PM   #3167
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donald Trump
"It is the dream of a world where people are judged by who they are, not how they look or where they come from."
Trump's allusion to MLK is pretty rich coming from him.
Old 15th January 2018, 09:34 PM   #3168
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Or faking his net worth.
That too!
Old 15th January 2018, 10:12 PM   #3169
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Okay, in your bizzaro Libertarian world he doesn't lead the nation. Do try to look the other way when he does though.
There isn't anything bizarre about it. The president doesn't lead the united states. If he did, then I would say he did. To lead is to be in charge or command of. He is only in charge and commands executive branch departments. He doesn't guide the country (he guides the executive branch). He doesn't direct the country, only the executive branch.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th January 2018, 11:08 PM   #3170
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

A short story--

Last Friday I was doing the Reading Buddy program with 2nd-graders. We were working on our short "u" sounds, and one of the accompanying pictures was of a grass hut. One of the little girls says matter-of-factly, "That looks like where I used to live."

I asked her if she came from a ********. (Not really.)

I asked her if she missed it sometimes. She said "No, I miss the warm weather but we didn't have any food."

She has only been in the U.S. a couple of years and is the most advanced student in the class.

Last edited by alfaniner; 15th January 2018 at 11:10 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th January 2018, 11:31 PM   #3171
chrispy
Critical Thinker

There isn't anything bizarre about it. The president doesn't lead the united states. If he did, then I would say he did. To lead is to be in charge or command of. He is only in charge and commands executive branch departments. He doesn't guide the country (he guides the executive branch). He doesn't direct the country, only the executive branch.
Jesus H. Christ. Please stop doing this to every thread. And to others, stop feeding him. Please.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th January 2018, 11:40 PM   #3172
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
A short story--

Last Friday I was doing the Reading Buddy program with 2nd-graders. We were working on our short "u" sounds, and one of the accompanying pictures was of a grass hut. One of the little girls says matter-of-factly, "That looks like where I used to live."

I asked her if she came from a ********. (Not really.)

I asked her if she missed it sometimes. She said "No, I miss the warm weather but we didn't have any food."

She has only been in the U.S. a couple of years and is the most advanced student in the class.

What a good person you are. Just thought I should say that. And I've always loved your avatar.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th January 2018 at 11:41 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 12:00 AM   #3173
Civet
Graduate Poster

Rand Paul defending Trump citing an occasion where Trump helped finance a medical mission where Paul and some other docs repaired some blind Haitians. Story here. If it's on the level (and I tend to trust statements coming out of Paul's mouth infinitely more than whatever Trump says) then good on him. Doesn't absolve him of being a bigot or anything, but it does indicate that he might not be as lacking in compassion toward people living in ********* as he lets on.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 12:13 AM   #3174
TofuFighter
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Friends don't let friends get bobbed.
You're getting bobbed.
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I guess it must be a badge of honor to have your name “verbed”.
But it’s becoming somewhat clearer to me what “Bobbing a thread” means.
Similar to hijacking, but subtly different.
I think.
Maybe someone can come up with a precise definition?
You guys are too harsh on BobTheCoward.
Sure, the arguments often tend to go off on a tangent, but there are thoughtful and valid points being made by him as well.

My own view is that he's not deliberately trying to derail the discussion and it's worth just trying to understand his viewpoint and then either moving on with the thread, or taking him up on the details in a separate thread. Even if there is disagreement, you can be sure he'll answer everything honestly and civilly, which is more than i can say for a lot of people.
Old 16th January 2018, 12:14 AM   #3175
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trevor Noah tonight speaking for Cotton and Perdue: "Praise the Lord, my memory has returned.

Old 16th January 2018, 12:28 AM   #3176
Worm
Master Poster

No, presidents are elected to exercise the powers and duties listed in article 2 of the Constitution. At no point does that mean the president is leading the nation.

Article 2 is not libertarian hyperbole.
The President is required to exercise the powers and duties listed in article 2. Leadership is not a requirement, but is (usually) an almost inevitable result.

It's not about command and control. Leadership is a far more nebulous arrangement than 'who gives the orders'.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 12:29 AM   #3177
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Trevor Noah tonight speaking for Cotton and Perdue: "Praise the Lord, my memory has returned.

Saw that whilst drinking a brew...bad timing for me, my beer, and my computer screen (and half of my dog, poor beer smelling little guy).
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 12:46 AM   #3178
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
The President is required to exercise the powers and duties listed in article 2. Leadership is not a requirement, but is (usually) an almost inevitable result.

It's not about command and control. Leadership is a far more nebulous arrangement than 'who gives the orders'.
Leadership is not a requirement, otherwise, Trump would be out. He is not a leader. He just wants to be the leader, and an authoritarian one at that.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 01:30 AM   #3179
Parsman
Muse

In the UK, the governing is done by the Prime Minister, but the Head of State and the person who essentially represents the nation to the world is the Monarch. Who is in the role of Monarch in the USA? The Head of State is the President and, whether you like it or not he does represent your country to the world. That is perhaps the biggest disaster of this Presidency.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 01:33 AM   #3180
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Apart from that time he raped her. And all those times he treated her badly enough that their divorce was granted on the grounds of "cruel and unusual treatment". Other than that, and in line with the terms of the gag order he has on her concerning their marriage, he treated her "fantastic".
Old 16th January 2018, 01:45 AM   #3181
Stacyhs
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Apart from that time he raped her. And all those times he treated her badly enough that their divorce was granted on the grounds of "cruel and unusual treatment". Other than that, and in line with the terms of the gag order he has on her concerning their marriage, he treated her "fantastic".

I wonder if she considers his cheating on her being "fantastic" treatment?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 02:05 AM   #3182
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I'm sure she did!
Old 16th January 2018, 02:24 AM   #3183
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I can't find this in any mainstream media outlets, but some places are reporting that Haiti has just unsealed records detailing former dictator Duvalier's money laundering through Trump's business
Old 16th January 2018, 02:32 AM   #3184
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I thought this was somewhat old news.
Old 16th January 2018, 02:42 AM   #3185
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I thought this was somewhat old news.
That it happened is old news, that Haiti held an emergency meeting where they unsealed the records containing the details is new.
Old 16th January 2018, 03:02 AM   #3186
fagin
Philosopher

Probably should have called Haiti a ********.
Old 16th January 2018, 03:07 AM   #3187
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Which is a damn fine song. I only know the Carolina Chocolate Drops version, but I love it.
It is indeed.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 03:11 AM   #3188
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Rand Paul defending Trump citing an occasion where Trump helped finance a medical mission where Paul and some other docs repaired some blind Haitians. Story here. If it's on the level (and I tend to trust statements coming out of Paul's mouth infinitely more than whatever Trump says) then good on him. Doesn't absolve him of being a bigot or anything, but it does indicate that he might not be as lacking in compassion toward people living in ********* as he lets on.
I would be checking to see if they got any money off Trump. He has a history of promising and then not giving.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 03:13 AM   #3189
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It got her out of it so, yes.
Old 16th January 2018, 03:25 AM   #3190
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I would be checking to see if they got any money off Trump. He has a history of promising and then not giving.

Also of using other people's money and then taking credit for it.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 03:29 AM   #3191
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
In the UK, the governing is done by the Prime Minister, but the Head of State and the person who essentially represents the nation to the world is the Monarch. Who is in the role of Monarch in the USA? The Head of State is the President and, whether you like it or not he does represent your country to the world. That is perhaps the biggest disaster of this Presidency.

No one is in the role of monarch in the U.S. (Much as they might like to think they were.)

There isn't any useful analogy between the office of the POTUS and the British monarchy.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 03:36 AM   #3192
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
No one is in the role of monarch in the U.S. (Much as they might like to think they were.)

There isn't any useful analogy between the office of the POTUS and the British monarchy.
I think the question was "Who performs the head of state duties in the United States ?", not "Who does the monarching ?"

IMO the President does but then again the President has a much different remit including other duties performed by the UK Prime Minister but rather less in the line of opening fetes and acting as patron of various good causes than the Queen currently does.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 03:46 AM   #3193
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting.

Josh Dawsey Washington Post Whitehouse Journalist says

Quote:
White House official told me tonight there is debate internally on whether Trump said "********" or "*********." Perdue and Cotton seem to have heard latter, this person said, and they are using it to deny.
Just to clarify the second ******** is a slight variation of the first ********.
Old 16th January 2018, 03:48 AM   #3194
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

That depends on when the settlement was reached. They divorced 25 years ago. 25 x 650K is a lot of money. Like sixteen million "lot of". Plus the bonus of "I no longer have to **** Donald Trump, woo hoo!"

ETA: I checked with my friend Carlie and she says that for a mere ten million she'd agree not to **** him, either. Her sister said, "Hell, he doesn't have to offer me anything. I'd not **** him for free!"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 16th January 2018 at 03:52 AM.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 04:03 AM   #3195
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
That depends on when the settlement was reached. They divorced 25 years ago. 25 x 650K is a lot of money. Like sixteen million "lot of". Plus the bonus of "I no longer have to **** Donald Trump, woo hoo!"

ETA: I checked with my friend Carlie and she says that for a mere ten million she'd agree not to **** him, either. Her sister said, "Hell, he doesn't have to offer me anything. I'd not **** him for free!"
I'd not **** him for free too. In fact I'd be willing to pay good money not to **** him. Its not just that he's physically unattractive, (although he is), its his horrible personality too.

There is nothing about Donald Trump that isn't icky and off putting.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 04:11 AM   #3196
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

He (McCain) also has an adopted Bangladeshi daughter.

The Canal Zone was considered U.S., close enough to natural born.

And Panama isn't really a ***********. Canal revenue helps.
Well as natural born means US citizen from birth it doesn't matter where he was physically born as his parents were citizens. So he can be born is any ****hole and still count as natural born.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2018, 04:58 AM   #3197
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Well as natural born means US citizen from birth it doesn't matter where he was physically born as his parents were citizens. So he can be born is any ****hole and still count as natural born.
Actually, that is debatable.
Old 16th January 2018, 05:13 AM   #3198
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

A U.S. Navy veteran's mother was twice denied a visa to attend her son's funeral in Arkansas around Christmas, CBS affiliate WREG-TV reports. The U.S. State Department won't say why the visa requests were denied.

Truong's father Hung Truong, a jewelry store owner in eastern Arkansas, told WREG-TV that his ex-wife applied for a visa to travel from Vietnam to attend their son's funeral. Each of her requests was denied.

The State Department told the station that it couldn't provide more details about the case.

"Visa records are confidential under U.S. law,"

Making America great again!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-navy...eral-arkansas/
Old 16th January 2018, 05:18 AM   #3199
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Interesting.

Josh Dawsey Washington Post Whitehouse Journalist says

Just to clarify the second ******** is a slight variation of the first ********.
Yes, the "house" vs "hole" argument is one of the stupidest things surrounding this presidency, and that's saying something. Both words mean the same thing, and it's the context that matters anyway. He could have said "toilet", or "dump", or any number of other words and it would all be exactly the same.
Old 16th January 2018, 05:21 AM   #3200
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

That is unresolved at this time.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics