IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ghosts , Hector Bywater

Old 27th February 2021, 08:56 AM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Is this a case of mass hysteria?

https://youtu.be/1U9Oo6zF5Vs

I'm not a fan of the paranormal but ghost stories like this one intrigue me. Its one thing for one person to see a ghost but an entire crew of a submarine?
Old 27th February 2021, 09:09 AM   #2
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post

I'm not a fan of the paranormal but ghost stories like this one intrigue me. Its one thing for one person to see a ghost but an entire crew of a submarine?
Was this a submarine with a ghost on board or a submarine with a whole ghost crew?
Old 27th February 2021, 04:11 PM   #3
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

I'm not a fan of the paranormal but ghost stories like this one intrigue me.
It's not a true story.

According to researchers George Behe and Michael Goss, the stories about hauntings from UB-65 were invented by the journalist Hector Charles Bywater, who wrote about the subject. They speculated that Bywater was a good story teller who had invented some of his references, such as a post-war pamphlet written by a "Dr. Hecht". Behe and Goss concluded that "Official documents make it extremely difficult to believe that UB-65 was haunted... The responsibility for that rumour-like legend in all its dramatic detail cannot be traced back with any certainty before Hector C. Bywater
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM_UB-65
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2021, 04:20 PM   #4
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Was the account of the haunting from the crew or just made up by the first journalist known to have mentioned a ghost aboard the U-Boat, Hector C. Bywater, whose account cites at least some imaginary sources?

Last edited by Spektator; 27th February 2021 at 04:22 PM. Reason: ETA: ninja'd by Matthew Ellard!
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2021, 05:40 PM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Haha obviously you are a fan of the paranormal.

But for me, it's a case of youtube, didn't watch.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2021, 06:18 PM   #6
p0lka
Master Poster

what's your opinion on it?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2021, 09:41 AM   #7
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
what's your opinion on it?
I thought the story but I also thought the "ghost" sightings were the result of mass hysteria and the stresses of war and the difficulties submarine sailors faced on a daily basis.
Old 28th February 2021, 05:58 PM   #8
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

The ocean's full of ghosts. When a submarine passes through some haunted water, the ocean ghosts just stay in the same place, passing through the hull like the incorporeal spirits they are. That means they're quickly left behind, so most of the time they're not even noticed by the crew. But once in a while s a hysterical crew of a slow-moving sub will spot one.
Old 1st March 2021, 05:47 AM   #9
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Carbon dioxide or monoxide poisoning can also create confusion, hallucinations and distorted memory. It's more usual for the monoxide one, because high levels of CO2 can be downright painful, so you tend to notice. But still they can bring you to downright borderline OOB experiences.

So I wouldn't find it particularly unbelievable if some sub had to stay under way past what it had air for, and the crew started experiencing weird stuff.

Or a particularly damaged diesel engine COULD theoretically leak carbon monoxide if you're running it at snorkel depth.

In this case, though, it's just sensationalist fiction.

Last edited by HansMustermann; 1st March 2021 at 05:48 AM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2021, 05:53 AM   #10
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

CO2 can also trigger anxiety attacks and hallucinations (especially the auditory kind) in people with schizophrenia. In fact, past a point they trigger both quite reliably. Though I would find it extremely unlikely that a whole submarine were crewed with schizophrenics, unless it's a part of some twisted experiment.

Last edited by HansMustermann; 1st March 2021 at 05:54 AM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2021, 09:07 AM   #11
Drewbot
Philosopher

The Curse of the Submarine crew's ghost.

Was the Ghost that the crew saw cursed?
Or was the submarine's crew cursed?
Or was the ghost of the submarine's crew cursed?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2021, 09:16 AM   #12
Joe Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
The Curse of the Submarine crew's ghost.

Was the Ghost that the crew saw cursed?
Or was the submarine's crew cursed?
Or was the ghost of the submarine's crew cursed?

Nice ref.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2021, 09:28 AM   #13
Drewbot
Philosopher

Yep, that's what I based it on.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2021, 09:42 AM   #14
Joe Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Yep, that's what I based it on.

Brought back some fond memories for me. Have a peanut butter, egg, and dice sandwich on me for that.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 05:17 PM   #15
Axxman300
Illuminator

There is an RC-135V that's nicknamed "Damien" by many aircrews because it seems to have a mind of its own. It's a simple matter of establishing a reputation and assigning everything that goes wrong to the curse/ghost/gremlins.
Old 5th March 2021, 03:18 PM   #16
EdipisReks
Custom Title

I thought the story but I also thought the "ghost" sightings were the result of mass hysteria and the stresses of war and the difficulties submarine sailors faced on a daily basis.
No, just merely a lie.

"I read the Book Of Mormon once. Wasn't it about Uma Thurman, um, thrumming a Theremin?"
--epepke (9-22-2004)
EdipisReks is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal