IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags sylvia browne , election , arnold schwarzenegger

Old 8th November 2006, 03:42 PM   #1
glopal
New Blood

Arnold Schwarzenegger wins! Sylvia Browne loses!

A friend of mine (who happens to be one of my few atheist friends) believes that Sylvia Browne is genuine, and was the one who told me that she predicted that Arnold would NOT win the election, and then he ends up winning by a landside, HA! Its like Sylvia to predict a 50/50 scenario.. but wow, to be THAT wrong, the moon must have been affecting the planetary psychic aura or something like that.

Anyways, maybe this will get my friend to rethink things a bit... but probably not.
glopal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2006, 04:43 PM   #2
DarkMagician
Graduate Poster

It's those dang dwarf planets. It broke off her rhythms.
Sometimes going by "Nyke" | "Pascal's Wager: Believe in Unicorns, or one might kick you in the nads!" | "There is no hope for humanity. Reason is dead and we dance on the corpse. Tra la la la la!" --c4ts | Intelligent Design & Expelled Exposed | I'm on dial-up. If you want to reply to me, summarize please.
DarkMagician is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2006, 04:47 PM   #3
bjb
Graduate Poster

This is one of the times when I wish Sylvia Browne was right! At least she was wrong about all of the hurricanes that were supposed to hit the United States.
bjb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2006, 04:49 PM   #4
CBVan
Scholar

Darn you, Eros!
CBVan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2006, 05:41 PM   #5
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

This was today's prediction:

>>Montel: Sylvia, I'd love to ask this question. We're going into another holiday season, and looking at the new year is right around the corner.
You'll be coming back to do your prediction show.
>>Sylvia: Yeah.
>> Montel: I'm just wondering, is there anything right now that we need to be afraid of or look forward to by the end of this year?
>> Sylvia: No.
>> Montel: Nothing happens?
>>Sylvia: It stays pretty quiet. Even the weather kind of decides to be nice, you know. It's not as bad as it was last year. And I still -- you know, I sound like a broken record. I really think Osama bin laden is dead. I really believe that.
>> Montel: You think he's dead now?
>> Sylvia: Yes.
>> Montel: And we'll know that by the end of this year?
>> Sylvia: I think we'll know that by the end of the year, yeah.
>> Montel: All right. Thank you very much.
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2006, 06:12 PM   #6
Bill Thompson
Banned

Originally Posted by glopal View Post
A friend of mine (who happens to be one of my few atheist friends) believes that Sylvia Browne is genuine, and was the one who told me that she predicted that Arnold would NOT win the election, and then he ends up winning by a landside, HA! Its like Sylvia to predict a 50/50 scenario.. but wow, to be THAT wrong, the moon must have been affecting the planetary psychic aura or something like that.

Anyways, maybe this will get my friend to rethink things a bit... but probably not.
I think believing in psychics is all about wanting to believe. I knew a psychic in college when I worked at the college radio station. She said a lot of stuff that was true but a lot of stuff that was not. We ignore the misses because they are not fun.
Bill Thompson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2006, 07:02 PM   #7
bjb
Graduate Poster

Yikes. I've recorded the last two shows to DVD but I haven't had the patience to watch them yet.

I did find some video today of Sylvia involved with another missing person case. The mother of Ryan Katcher was on the show and Sylvia told her that Ryan had been stuffed down a pipe of some kind but a few months ago, he was found in his pickup truck. I couldn't find the details but Kelly seems to know more about it in this post. It's another miss for Sylvia and we can see it in this video.
bjb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2006, 07:05 PM   #8
BrianSI
A Rebarbative Cyst

Originally Posted by DarkMagician View Post
It's those dang dwarf planets. It broke off her rhythms.
No, it was the dark energy.

"There's nothing wrong with science ... between air conditioning and the pope, I'll take air conditioning."
-- Woody Allen in Deconstructing Harry
BrianSI is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2006, 07:45 PM   #9
glopal
New Blood

I watched that video. Thats just pathetic! Making preditions about celebrities is one thing, but to give false information to that greiving mother is just horrible, how people can actually believe in her is beyond me...
glopal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2006, 07:47 PM   #10
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by bjb View Post
I did find some video today of Sylvia involved with another missing person case. The mother of Ryan Katcher was on the show and Sylvia told her that Ryan had been stuffed down a pipe of some kind but a few months ago, he was found in his pickup truck.
May I use this video on the StopSylvia web site?

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2006, 08:27 PM   #11
bjb
Graduate Poster

It's not my video, it comes from a website dedicated to finding Patricia Viola . This evening I found several such websites like this and many of them have videos of TV shows, news reports, etc. Since it comes from the Montel Williams show and since Montel doesn't seem to be very particular about people stealing his video, you might as well go for it.

There's also a story on that website on the family's reaction to Sylvia's reading. Sadly, they spent their valuable time and money following up on Sylvia's information. I feel Montel does some good by publicizing these cases but he should do his missing persons shows without Sylvia's interferance.

It is so infuriating to see what happens after Sylvia gives her irresponsible readings. She has never helped find anybody, and she hurts every single one of these families by giving them fake information that doesn't help. It is possible that Sylvia is deluded into believing she has some sort of abilities, but there's no way she can believe she actually helps in these missing persons cases. All that stuff she says about faries and gnomes is one thing, but in these verifiable cases, it is clear she is a total fake. I hope StopSylviaBrowne.com can get the word out on Sylvia. I hate to use cliches, but I believe if we skeptics can help just one family avoid Sylvia, then all of the effort has paid off.
Old 8th November 2006, 09:45 PM   #12
Kelly
Philosopher

Robert,

I am friends with Ryan's mom. I know she would talk to you. I am also friends with Jim Viola, husband of missing Patricia.

SB was way off on this. Ryan drove into a lake and died. There was no foul play.

Email me about this.

Kelly

Thanks to bjb for the find...I had forgotten about this.
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2006, 09:56 PM   #13
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Originally Posted by glopal View Post

It reminds me of this Monty Python bit:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Especially when Chapman say the election turned out "pretty much the way [he] expected, except the other man won."

BTW Kelly I see Patty Wetterling lost her congressional race. She wasn't in my district, but I was tempted to move just to vote for her. The ads of the opposition were very vicious and uncalled for. They softened after the Foley scandal.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling

Last edited by CptColumbo; 8th November 2006 at 09:58 PM.
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2006, 10:15 PM   #14
Kelly
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CptColumbo View Post
BTW Kelly I see Patty Wetterling lost her congressional race. She wasn't in my district, but I was tempted to move just to vote for her. The ads of the opposition were very vicious and uncalled for. They softened after the Foley scandal.
I didn't know that. I thought it sounded like she was doing well in the polls.

I met Patty a few years back when I joined TEAM Hope. She's a nice lady who has done alot for our cause.
Kelly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2006, 10:40 PM   #15
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I didn't know that. I thought it sounded like she was doing well in the polls.

I met Patty a few years back when I joined TEAM Hope. She's a nice lady who has done alot for our cause.
Bachman won 50%-42%

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pag.../06/index.html
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2006, 10:47 PM   #16
rightbrain
Thinker

Originally Posted by The Vampire View Post
This was today's prediction:

>>Montel: Sylvia, I'd love to ask this question. We're going into another holiday season, and looking at the new year is right around the corner.
You'll be coming back to do your prediction show.
>>Sylvia: Yeah.
>> Montel: I'm just wondering, is there anything right now that we need to be afraid of or look forward to by the end of this year?
>> Sylvia: No.
>> Montel: Nothing happens?
>>Sylvia: It stays pretty quiet. Even the weather kind of decides to be nice, you know. It's not as bad as it was last year.
Why does this make me nervous?
Old 9th November 2006, 08:05 AM   #17
grayman
Happy-go-lucky Heretic

Originally Posted by rightbrain View Post
Why does this make me nervous?
If Uri Gellar also says it will be quiet, I'm heading for the shelters.

All great truths begin as blasphemies. - George Bernard Shaw

God is evil. As soon as you accept that, it all makes sense. - Sledge
grayman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2006, 10:50 PM   #18
Kelly
Philosopher

Check your email, Robert. You have contact info for Ryan's mom. She will be happy to share her story and help.
Old 10th November 2006, 10:59 PM   #19
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Check your email, Robert. You have contact info for Ryan's mom. She will be happy to share her story and help.
Got it, thanks!

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2006, 10:59 PM   #20
Kopji

Her position on Arnold is curious, she was really going with the strong conventional wisdom that he would be defeated. Not 50-50 at all. She blew a big chance to recover some of her lost reputation as a psychic on that one.

Arnold was doing terribly just a couple years ago and in the dregs. He completely changed his strategy and positioned himself as a more centrist 'green' politician. Sleeping with a Kennedy must give him super powers.
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal