IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags adolf hitler , arnold schwarzenegger

Old 4th October 2003, 08:34 AM   #41
Clancie
Illuminator

Personally, I think the "Hitler" thing was politically floated--by his Republican supporters, if not directly by his campaign.

After all, the Nazi thing has already been much addressed and much refuted. Even if it were true (which I doubt), it would be a second hand remark made over 30 years ago which (other than befriending Waldheiim) he's done nothing to fuel since.

(Of course, Schwarzenegger has the original film where the offending quotes reportedly occur--and he hasn't released it....yet....But he may).

If its a set up, it's quite clever, since most people will dismiss it as an ugly and unfair attack by Democrats.

Bottom line....it takes away attention from the sexual harrassment charges (which are recent, and which he has been unable to deny) and makes both accusations seem like just nasty and unfair politically motivated issues.

He may be a lot smarter than I think!
Clancie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2003, 10:22 AM   #42
davefoc
Philosopher

Coming from the other side I was going to say almost exactly what Clancie did. I doubt that it's a Republican conspiracy though. It is a completely lame charge that pro AS commentators are treating like a giant softball that is easily batted out of the park.

Meanwhile, charges with some credibility, get less attention than they might otherwise. Am I sad about this? Nope. I think it would be nice if CA avoids a major financial catastorphe and I think our best hope is to get rid of Davis and distracting legitimate criticism of AS with total crap is at least a step in that direction.
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2003, 03:47 PM   #43
mgidm86
Philosopher

I agree Davefoc, politics as usual. I personally don't listen to any accusations such as these 2 weeks before an election. It's so predictable. If the guy is really that big of a jerk then we should have been told so months ago. I'll venture a guess that many many politicians have all of these same characteristics (duh). Status quo baby, status quo.

Honestly, I want Davis out so bad that I don't care if Arnold is a groping, boorish, racist pig. Can he and his cronies save our economy? Will his tit-grabbing and stupid remarks affect CA policies in a major way? I actually think McClintock would be the better choice, but I'm stuck in the same position as many others...deciding whether to vote my conscience, or to vote popular and make sure the Dems are out. To me, the "greater good" is to get Davis out at any cost. Hey, I gotta live here too.

By the way, has Arnie been charged with sexual harassment or anything else from any of these women? I didn't think so. He did, however, admit that he did behave badly in earlier years and that some of these stories were true. He wasn't 100% forthright maybe, but compared to most politicians he was pretty honest. He did not question the definition of the word "Is" etc....he addressed the accusations and moved on. Now that is a refreshing change, as well as politically smart.
Old 4th October 2003, 03:56 PM   #44
Skeptic
Banned

Coming from the other side I was going to say almost exactly what Clancie did. I doubt that it's a Republican conspiracy though.

Indeed so. I don't think anybody is claiming that there is som evil conspiracy. It's just that such stories are bound to get bigger headlines before the elections, so that's when they run them. I think that the main reasons Schwarzennegger is "targeted" is that he a). is leading the race, and b). is far more famous and colorfoul than the other nonentities in the race, both (a) and (b) guaranteeing bigger headlines.

For the record, I also don't think that the reason Bustamante's involvement in a silly "latino power" organization in college doesn't get as much attention is a democratic conspiracy to "hide the truth". It's simply that the story is far less interesting to the average reader (gee, a group of "radical" college students in the 70s! I'm SHOCKED!) than the sex'n'violence (or sex'n'nazis) stuff around Arnold. Now, if they caught Bostamante having sex with a neo-nazi woman...
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2003, 11:12 PM   #45
peptoabysmal
Illuminator

Quote:
Originally posted by a_unique_person

We are affected by your politics, why can't we vote for your poltiicians?
Only if you agree to become the 51st. state. Even then you couldn't vote in a California election.

Think about it, you could have McDonalds and Taco Bell at every corner, live in a suburb and drive a 4 wheel drive SUV, have a new meaning for football.
peptoabysmal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2003, 12:32 AM   #46
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I live in a suburb, half the cars in my street are 4WD, MacDonalds has reached saturation, and Taco Bell type places are numerous. My children always want to watch the latest Hollywood blockbuster and never tire of Simpsons reruns.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2003, 01:06 AM   #47
Grammatron
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally posted by a_unique_person
I live in a suburb, half the cars in my street are 4WD, MacDonalds has reached saturation, and Taco Bell type places are numerous. My children always want to watch the latest Hollywood blockbuster and never tire of Simpsons reruns.
And just what is wrong with Simpsons?
Grammatron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2003, 06:31 AM   #48
Skeptic
Banned

Awful, isn't it, how you are so opressed by the USA! By the way, when is the SUV commissar from the USA coming over to make sure the natives are buying enough Hummers to support USA commercial interests?

What's that? He doesn't? The people on your street actually buy SUVs because they LIKE them?? Damn, that brainwashing is worse than I thought...

If things are so bad, I suggest that you emigrate to one of those brave, wonderful places in the world that resist the AWFUL American "cultural imperialism" you hate. Iran has nice weather this time of year, and I've heard apartment prices in North Korea are really cheap for some reason.
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics