IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2010 election results , arnold schwarzenegger , California politics , Carla Fiorina , Jerry Brown , Linda McMahon , Meg Whitman , Susana Martinez

Old 4th November 2010, 10:42 AM   #41
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Lisa Simpson View Post
Yes! YES! YES!
I left CA only a few months after Arnie took office. I liked to joke that I fled the tyranny of the Governator or joked how its not good when expatriate Austrians take power, but in all seriousness, how was he?

I mean, besides the very obvious deficit issues (OK, you can mention those in your critique).

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2010, 11:40 AM   #42
Aoidoi
Illuminator

Well, the Terminator has annoyed me by pushing a bill to ban video games (actually, it appears to be broad enough to ban almost anything) that's just now made it in front of the supreme court. A man who made his living in R rated movies is now pushing to limit violence in media.

Other than that potential mess (which he is only partially responsible for), I don't know much about how he's actually done the job.

On the women CEOs... it seems like some of them had baggage from their business careers (The whole HP thing left me with a pretty negative opinion, for example). Whitman probably managed to piss off most of the state through incessant campaigning. I'm actually fairly glad to see that money doesn't necessarily buy your way into an office. Makes me feel a little better about politics that it's not just about who throws the most cash around.

We cannot defend freedom abroad by abandoning it at home. —Edward R. Murrow
Aoidoi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2010, 11:42 AM   #43
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The Political anylists are saying that the saturation of ads hurt Whitman. The trick is to spend money buy not look like you are doing. Whitman was way too obvious.
Linda McMahon made the same mistake in Connecticut. Every day there was another flyer in the mail. She was on radio and TV constantly. It backfired, people were making jokes about it. I know a lot of veterans who were PO'd at Blumenthal but finally decided to vote for him anyway because she was 'just buying votes'.

McMahon spent $40+ million in small state with about 3.5 million people. Per capita that has to be one of the most, if not the most, expensive electoral loss in history. Her millions got her 44% of the vote, her opponent got the most votes of any statewide candidate.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2010, 11:47 AM   #44
Aoidoi
Illuminator

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/...n_bin&hpt=Sbin

Whitman spent the most ever, McMahon the most per vote.

We cannot defend freedom abroad by abandoning it at home. —Edward R. Murrow
Aoidoi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2010, 06:33 PM   #45
R.Mackey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
I left CA only a few months after Arnie took office. I liked to joke that I fled the tyranny of the Governator or joked how its not good when expatriate Austrians take power, but in all seriousness, how was he?

I mean, besides the very obvious deficit issues (OK, you can mention those in your critique).
He was a bit of a klutz. Twice he bet the farm on a raft of propositions when he couldn't get anything done in the state legislature, and both times they were soundly rejected by voters. He had no backup plan either time.

I'll give him a little sympathy because the gridlock may be beyond any one man's power to solve, and this state has stupidly been legislating via referendum and constitutional amendment for decades. It all piled up. With the recent passage of Prop. 25, however, some of the logjam may break. Whether it breaks good or bad remains to be seen, however.
R.Mackey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics