IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags adolf hitler , arnold schwarzenegger

Old 2nd October 2003, 07:29 PM   #1
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Arnie a Hitler Admirer

http://www.drudgereport.com/mattaa.htm

LOL. His handlers told him not to run.

Quote:

ABC News, which broadcast the remarks on Thursday, said they were contained in an unpublished book proposal with quotes from what it calls a "verbatim transcript" of the interview.

Asked about his heroes, the young Schwarzenegger, in 1975, was quoted as saying; "I admired Hitler, for instance, because he came from being a little man with almost no formal education, up to power.

"I admire him for being such a good public speaker and for what he did with it."

The actor was quoted as saying he wished he could experience being .."like Hitler in the Nuremberg stadium and have all those people scream at you and just being total agreement whatever you say."

Asked by ABC News to comment on the old remarks, Schwarzenegger said: "I cannot remember any of these. All I can tell you is that I despise everything Hitler stood for. I despise everything the Nazis stood for ... everything the Third Reich stood for."

The author of the book proposal told ABCNEWS that the quotes needed to be seen in context of Schwarzenegger's admiration of powerful men.

The book proposal contains other stunning passages, which ABCNEWS is preparing to reveal.

a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2003, 08:13 PM   #2
Skeptic
Banned

That's funny, AUP. When the ex-PM of the palestinian authority was elected, I noted that he has published an entire book denying the holocaust (and, naturally, whitewashing Hitler).

What did you do? Of course, you defended him and, in particular, said that since he apologized it doesn't matter anymore, that all that matters is what he says now, etc. (here is the thread).

Apparently, for you, anybody who ever made any dumb racist comment somewhere, like Scwarzenneger apparently did as a 20-year-old kid, is marked for life as a "racist"... EXCEPT when they are arabs attacking jews, in which case, of course, they can write entire books of antisemitic slander, and all is forgiven if they apologize--years later.

Can you say, "double standard"? I knew you could, hypocrite.
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2003, 08:33 PM   #3
Malachi151
Graduate Poster

I also saw an interview with some former associates of Arnold that said he had made several anti-Semitic statements, that he did impressions of Hitler and had said that his biggest mistake was not killing all the Jews before the war was over.

This was a black man who worked with him on Pumping Iron. He also said that he got into an altercation with him at his house and he said something about "get that ****** the hell out of my house" or something when he was discussing the fact that many of the people had been promised pay to be part of the movie and that money was not comming through.

"The welfare of each of us is dependent fundamentally upon the welfare of all of us." - Teddy Roosevelt
Malachi151 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2003, 08:35 PM   #4
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by Malachi151
I also saw an interview with some former associates of Arnold that said he had made several anti-Semitic statements, that he did impressions of Hitler and had said that his biggest mistake was not killing all the Jews before the war was over.

This was a black man who worked with him on Pumping Iron. He also said that he got into an altercation with him at his house and he said something about "get that ****** the hell out of my house" or something when he was discussing the fact that many of the people had been promised pay to be part of the movie and that money was not comming through.
It was probably a roid rage.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2003, 09:03 PM   #5
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony

Damn.. beat me to it.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2003, 09:22 PM   #6
EdipisReks
Custom Title

saying that one admires hitler for going from nothing to being a state leader and for being a good public speaker is very different for admiring him for killing millions of people.

"I read the Book Of Mormon once. Wasn't it about Uma Thurman, um, thrumming a Theremin?"
--epepke (9-22-2004)
EdipisReks is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2003, 09:24 PM   #7
JAR
Graduate Poster

Just think about it.

How could a German white guy win famous bodybuilding competitions and not be drawn to Nazi values?
JAR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2003, 09:26 PM   #8
a_unique_person

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Can you say, "double standard"? I knew you could, hypocrite.
I think the LOL indicates I do not take the issue too seriously, if he has, like the ex-Palestinian PM, changed his mind. The flack from this, however, could be huge. Like I said earlier, when he anounced on TV that he was going to run, his minders tought they had convinced him to say he wasn't going to run.

I would be more concerned with his overall suitability for governor. I'd never vote for him.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 12:22 AM   #9
Scholar

Quote:
Originally posted by JAR
Just think about it.

How could a German white guy win famous bodybuilding competitions and not be drawn to Nazi values?
Schwarzenegger, like Hitler, comes from Austria.
003998 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 01:53 AM   #10
JamesM
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by EdipisReks
saying that one admires hitler for going from nothing to being a state leader and for being a good public speaker is very different for admiring him for killing millions of people.
It's pretty stupid, though, what with his name being synonymous with the phrase "mass-murdering tyrant" with most of the public.

I've always admired Ghengis Khan, he had nice hats.

Stalin was a great man. By which, of course, I mean that he had a good moustache.

The Kray twins? I'm a big fan - they loved their mum.
JamesM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 02:36 AM   #11
Dilettante
Scholar

Quote:
ABC News, which broadcast the remarks on Thursday, said they were contained in an unpublished book proposal with quotes from what it calls a "verbatim transcript" of the interview.
Does anyone have a recording of the alleged 1975 interview?
Dilettante is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 04:07 AM   #12
a_unique_person

Of course not. Another reason why I did not treat this too seriously. It may well be true, but no one will ever be able to prove it. Either way, I can't see Arnie being the type of guy I'd vote for.
Old 3rd October 2003, 04:52 AM   #13
The Fool
Penultimate Amazing

I have to view Arnie in the context of an Australian politician....In order to succeed as a politician in Australia you must have NO baggage. Our politicians are seemingly born at age 50 with no previous history.... If Arnie can pull this off with his history then I suspect he will go on to be a future President...GWB only had to overcome Cocaine use....I'm sure Arnie would trade his history for a couple of snorts....Lets face the facts... Arnold is a clever guy, he has made a lot of money and probably now truly believes he can run california.... Good luck to him. He's probably going to get the job........ Lol....

Lose half your IQ....Ask me how.
The Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 04:58 AM   #14
Ed
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally posted by JAR
Just think about it.

Same way a black guy from the 'hood might (notice I said "might") not steal watermelons.
Ed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 04:58 AM   #15
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Quote:
Originally posted by The Fool
If Arnie can pull this off with his history then I suspect he will go on to be a future President...
I thought American presidents had to be US-born?

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 05:10 AM   #16
HarryKeogh

i just love the fact how the media has this power to alter elections by revealing items a week before an election.

if they were unbiased and had no agenda they would reveal the information when they got it, not wait until now.

just as pathetic as schwarzenegger's alleged comments.
HarryKeogh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 05:26 AM   #17
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Osborne
I thought American presidents had to be US-born?
They have to be born American citizens, so Arnie is out of the running for POTUS. However, you can be born anywhere, so long as one parent is a citizen, thus making you a citizen at birth.

Oddly, this is not a rule for vice-presidents. I am not sure what would happen if a non-US-born vice president was required to assume office when the president died.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 07:06 AM   #18
Skeptic
Banned

Quote:
Well, yeah.... and saying that you admire Stalin for his style in mustache wearing is also quite different than admiring him for the Gulags. But why should you admire someone like that for anything?

Seriously, one should consider the context and history in this case. Arnold's father was a nazi party member. After the war, ex-nazis who still admired Hitler (most of them still did) could not longer be open nazis, but they COULD still claim that they admire Hitler for the roads he built, etc.; that became the socially-acceptable euphemism for "I am (still) a nazi".

If (as seems likely, given his father's history) Arnold grew up in such an enviorment, it is not at all surprising that, in an interview at age 20 or so, he would parrot the same views he heard all his life from his father.

All this, of course, presuming the article is genuine and not out of context or sensationalized. I, for one, am highly suspicious of such "amazing revelations" that just HAPPEN to be discovered when Arnold is leading in the polls before the election.
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 07:18 AM   #19
Malachi151
Graduate Poster

Talk about idiots, I mean you people really TRY to keep yourself from reading between the lines don't you?

When someone asks you who you admire, and you say "Adolf Hitler becuase he was a good speaker" chances are that there is a *little* more to it then that eh?

When you look for good points that you can publically acknowledge about someone so that you can claim that you like them then changes are you also admire other qualities about them as well.

Does Pat Robertson say he admires Madonna because of her voice?

Did Ronald Reagan say he admired Vladamir Lenin for his good speaking ability (which was argumably better than Hitler's)?

When you are an Austrian, who's father was a Nazi and you say that you admire Adolf Hitler for his "speaking ability", yes you can bet that there is more to it then that.

Now, have his views and personality changed since that time? I have no idea.

"The welfare of each of us is dependent fundamentally upon the welfare of all of us." - Teddy Roosevelt
Malachi151 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 07:20 AM   #20
kerfer
Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by Tricky

They have to be born American citizens, so Arnie is out of the running for POTUS. However, you can be born anywhere, so long as one parent is a citizen, thus making you a citizen at birth.

Oddly, this is not a rule for vice-presidents. I am not sure what would happen if a non-US-born vice president was required to assume office when the president died.
Hmm..I think that's an interesting question.

I apologize in advance for not having researched this in the Constitution, because I don't have time right now...I'll check it later, when I do.

But I would think that the VP in question would assume the Presidency for the rest of the term, but not be able to run at the termination of that term.

Right? Do I get a kewpie doll?
Old 3rd October 2003, 07:22 AM   #21
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony

Hemmerhoids make you do that? Get the Preperation H, Dude. You gotta me Governor now, and behave yourself.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 07:23 AM   #22
Drooper

Quote:
Originally posted by JAR
Just think about it.

Strange. I thought that both Arnie and Adolf were Austrian.
Drooper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 07:24 AM   #23
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by kerfer

Hmm..I think that's an interesting question.

I apologize in advance for not having researched this in the Constitution, because I don't have time right now...I'll check it later, when I do.

But I would think that the VP in question would assume the Presidency for the rest of the term, but not be able to run at the termination of that term.

Right? Do I get a kewpie doll?
That is a good about whether a person not qualified to be President could even be VP. In any case, if one did manage to become VP, the consitution is explicit about qualifications for President, and he would not be able to assume the office.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 12:20 PM   #24
EdipisReks
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally posted by hgc
That is a good about whether a person not qualified to be President could even be VP. In any case, if one did manage to become VP, the consitution is explicit about qualifications for President, and he would not be able to assume the office.
unless the 61st amendment gets passed.

"I read the Book Of Mormon once. Wasn't it about Uma Thurman, um, thrumming a Theremin?"
--epepke (9-22-2004)
EdipisReks is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 12:41 PM   #25
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by hgc
Hemmerhoids make you do that? Get the Preperation H, Dude. You gotta me Governor now, and behave yourself.
No, steroids.

Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 12:41 PM   #26
Nyarlathotep
Philosopher

My first thought this morning when I heard what Arnold is supposed to have said was "Godwin's law just got invoked in the California Recall. They may as well just stop the campaign and have the election now"
Old 3rd October 2003, 12:42 PM   #27
Grammatron
Philosopher

Quote:
Talk about idiots, I mean you people really TRY to keep yourself from reading between the lines don't you?

When someone asks you who you admire, and you say "Adolf Hitler becuase he was a good speaker" chances are that there is a *little* more to it then that eh?

When you look for good points that you can publically acknowledge about someone so that you can claim that you like them then changes are you also admire other qualities about them as well.

Did Ronald Reagan say he admired Vladamir Lenin for his good speaking ability (which was argumably better than Hitler's)?

When you are an Austrian, who's father was a Nazi and you say that you admire Adolf Hitler for his "speaking ability", yes you can bet that there is more to it then that.

Arnold contacted a Jewish organization (I can't recall it at the moment) about investigating whether or not his father, a Nazi, contributed to the Holocaust. The investigation showed that his father did not, still, Arnold made numerous contributions to different organization that dealt with Holocaust survives and such matters. I don't know what he said when he was 20, but his actions since then do not show him to be a Nazi, quite the opposite.
Grammatron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 12:48 PM   #28
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:

Malachi, I know when people are trying to manipulate me, too.

Really? He was a devastatingly good public speaker, that's how he got away with all of his evil acts. It's a fact he was a good speaker. That most certainly doesn't make him a good man, an ethical man, an honest man, ...

But he WAS a good speaker. Like it or not, he was a good speaker.

Gosh, look at your reasoning. You'd make Joe McCarthy proud. This is the "where there's smoke" argument, stated as baldly as I've seen it coming from your side of the fence.

Are you suggesting that Madonna had the same effectiveness in modern politics as Hitler?

Did you say that Leon Trotsky was a nice fellow except for that hammer he wore in his hair?

Guilt by association, plain and simple. Same thinking that's put native-born arabic people in jail lately. McCarthy, eat your heart out.

Really?

Then why did you imply otherwise?
jj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 12:52 PM   #29
SRW
Master Poster

__________________________________________________ _
The author of the book proposal, "Pumping Iron" director George Butler, told ABC the quotes needed to be seen in context to be understood. The Los Angeles Times said Friday that its reporters had interviewed Butler two months ago and he had denied Schwarzenegger made such remarks.

I don't know for sure but this whole thing has the smell of Gray Davis all over it.
SRW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 01:06 PM   #30
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Are you suggesting that Madonna had the same effectiveness in modern politics as Hitler?

Old 3rd October 2003, 02:14 PM   #31
Ipecac
Graduate Poster

Quote:

unless the 61st amendment gets passed.
Good point! I guess this also means that you better go to McDonalds now because only Taco Bell (Pizza Hut if you live in Europe) will be left after the franchise wars.
Ipecac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 02:50 PM   #32
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Hmmm....let's look at what AS is claimed to have said:

Quote:
"I admire him for being such a good public speaker and for what he did with it."
"Admire" might not be the most describing word to use. But can anyone not acknowledge that Hitler was a powerful speaker? Read Toland, Shirer, Fest, Kershaw, and other's accounts of how Hitler managed to captivate an audience. Sure, Hitler pandered to the lowest common denominator in a crowd, but we cannot close our eyes to the fact that it worked. Wonders, too. We wouldn't have over 50 million people dead, if it hadn't worked. For the first time in history, mass media was combined with a hypnotic speaker - with devastating results. A lesson, paid for with the blood of millions.

Hitler may have been the first, but surely not the last, to use mass media to entice a crowd. Had Hitler only been able to talk to people who were physically present, I seriously doubt that he would have gained power. We cannot eliminate the mass-media factor in this. Hitler, speaking in a crowd, had limited effect, even if it did enthrall the audience. Combined with mass media, death and destruction for millions.

We might not like it (I personally hate the way humans can be swayed in this manner), but to say it didn't happen? Not possible.

Can we "admire" that Hitler was a "good public speaker"? No. But we can "be stunned" at the efficiency of it. Is that "admiration"? I can understand what AS might have wanted to express. Can we use "awe"? That implies some kind of grudging accept (I assume! Correct me if I am wrong), and that is the opposite of what I want to express. But we should acknowledge the efficiency - and cleverness, sorry to say so - of it. Because nobody had ever talked to people this way, and with such profound impact.

"Admire" what Hitler did with it? No. Only repulsion and horror can describe that. But he was the first - in collaboration with Goebbels - to realize what could be achieved, using modern media.

Quote:
"The actor was quoted as saying he wished he could experience being .."like Hitler in the Nuremberg stadium and have all those people scream at you and just being total agreement whatever you say." "
Let's face it: Hitler was also an actor. He took lessons in how to sway an audience. He learned to to control people by convincing them, either by argument or by sheer force. What actor does not want that same "power" over people? To sway an audience into believing you are Richard III, demanding an equestrian solution to your present quagmire? That is the drive of actors, not a $15 million fee per movie.

Julia Roberts, who can only play one part, does not apply here.

Quote:
Asked by ABC News to comment on the old remarks, Schwarzenegger said: "I cannot remember any of these. All I can tell you is that I despise everything Hitler stood for. I despise everything the Nazis stood for ... everything the Third Reich stood for."
That's as clear as it can be. Now, this is a quote we can verify. The others, no. Which should we, as skeptics, rely on? The answer, my friend, is not blowing in the wind.

I am not defending AS in any way - I think it would be a distaster to elect him. California has a bigger budget than France, and is in serious financial trouble, but, hey, that's democracy. But I do think we might have to look at this Drudge Report with great skepticism. After all, Drudge only got one big news story. That doesn't mean he is right for eternity. As for now, we have no confirmation of the old quotes, and how AS really meant it. We do, however, have confirmation what he has said recently.

To go on casting doubt about his views would not only be mudslinging, it would be decidedly unskeptical. To deny that a person can change his mind would be decidedly narrowminded. Even vicious, and comparable to what Republicans did to Clinton.
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 02:57 PM   #33
Aoidoi
Illuminator

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/...ain/index.html

Quote:
The issue surfaced when the New York Times and ABC News cited an unpublished 1970s book proposal by "Pumping Iron" film producer George Butler as having contained quotes from Schwarzenegger expressing admiration for the Nazi dictator.

Both news organizations quoted Schwarzenegger as saying, "I admired Hitler, for instance, because he came from being a little man with almost no formal education up to power. And I admire him for being such a good public speaker and for what he did with it."

But the New York Times said Butler later told the newspaper that he had found another transcript of the interview that contained different wording: "I admire him for being such a good public speaker and for his way of getting to the people and so on. But I didn't admire him for what he did with it. It's very hard to say who I admire, who are my heroes."
The first version is ambigious and thus open to interpretation, the second seems pretty clear, he expressed admiration for his abilities but not his goals.

Somewhat amusingly, I still think the article makes Davis look like the bigger prick. Instead of being professional and saying "I don't think this has any bearing on the race" while keeping the story in the press (which makes him look above the fray) he has to attack Arnold, which is just redundant. Arnold made stupid comments, press will follow up on it regardless, time to play the "I'm above this sort of thing" not "hey look, I can bite his ankle while he's wrestling the gorilla of his own making."

Sheesh, it's like amateur hour in California.

To paraphrase the Daily Show "There you have the paradox of Governor Davis. Even when he's right, he's a prick."

We cannot defend freedom abroad by abandoning it at home. —Edward R. Murrow
Aoidoi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 08:46 PM   #34
peptoabysmal
Illuminator

Quote:
Originally posted by a_unique_person

I think the LOL indicates I do not take the issue too seriously, if he has, like the ex-Palestinian PM, changed his mind. The flack from this, however, could be huge. Like I said earlier, when he anounced on TV that he was going to run, his minders tought they had convinced him to say he wasn't going to run.

I would be more concerned with his overall suitability for governor. I'd never vote for him.
Are the Democrats getting so desperate they are going to make it legal for Australians to vote? Have you got your absentee ballot in hand as we speak?

Democrats want it so that felons and illegal immigrants can vote, hey why not Aussies?
peptoabysmal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2003, 11:23 PM   #35
kerfer
Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by hgc
You are right...I was thinking at the time that the requirements were for being *elected*, but having read that part of the Constitution, the requirements are for serving. So I agree, and this person in question could not assume the duties of president.
Old 4th October 2003, 12:03 AM   #36
JAR
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed
Same way a black guy from the 'hood might (notice I said "might") not steal watermelons.
Sorry if I implied that being a German bodybuilding champion gives one an excuse to be a Nazi. I was just joking around.
JAR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2003, 12:33 AM   #37
Blue Monk
Graduate Poster

According to John Edward Hitler thought 'Kindergarden Cop' and 'Twins' stunk.
Old 4th October 2003, 12:39 AM   #38
a_unique_person

Quote:
Originally posted by peptoabysmal

Are the Democrats getting so desperate they are going to make it legal for Australians to vote? Have you got your absentee ballot in hand as we speak?

Democrats want it so that felons and illegal immigrants can vote, hey why not Aussies?
We are affected by your politics, why can't we vote for your poltiicians?
Old 4th October 2003, 06:48 AM   #39
Skeptic
Banned

I think the LOL indicates I do not take the issue too seriously, if he has, like the ex-Palestinian PM, changed his mind.

Of course, YOU titled the post "Arnie a Hitler admirer" after quoting his (alleged) interview from 1975. This seems to mean, for some reason, that you consider him a Hitler admirer because of what he said in 1975.

Of course, I must be "misinterpreting" you, as usual, right?
Old 4th October 2003, 07:15 AM   #40
Supercharts
Graduate Poster

AP Exclusive: Schwarzenegger helped disrupt Nazi gatherings

Found at:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...904EDT0035.DTL

"Inspired by a weight trainer who witnessed Nazi slayings of Jews during World War II, Arnold Schwarzenegger used his menacing muscular physique to help break up neo-Nazi rallies as a teenager, his ex-trainer said Saturday.

In an interview with The Associated Press, gym owner Kurt Marnul said the young Schwarzenegger participated at least twice in organized disruptions of Nazi gatherings near his hometown of Graz during the 1960s."

Further in the story:

"Marnuls's account came as the film star and California gubernatorial hopeful struggles to counter allegations that he once expressed admiration for Hitler's rise to power from humble beginnings.

Schwarzenegger has said he did not recall making such a remark and called the Nazi leader a "disgusting villain."

"It's absurd. It's 100 percent wrong that he could have ever liked Hitler," Marnul said in an interview at his gym, whose walls are plastered with photographs of Schwarzenegger, who began training there at age 15.

On Friday, the Austrian magazine NU, which caters to the alpine nation's Jewish community, quoted former politician Alfred Gerstl as describing how Schwarzenegger and some companions once "hunted down" neo-Nazis who had gathered outside the office of a teaching institute run by an avowed anti-fascist. "

AUP goes down in flames again.

Supercharts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics