IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags arnold schwarzenegger , California politics

Old 28th October 2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

A special message from Arnie

Schwarzenegger recently vetoed a bill from the assembly, and sent the following letter to the assembly:
http://gov.ca.gov/pdf/press/2009bill...to_Message.pdf

Inside the otherwise rather innocuous letter explaining his veto is a code. Read the first letter of each line to find his secret message to the legislature.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2009, 01:57 PM   #2
cyborg
deus ex machina

Nice.
The phrase deus ex machina (literally "god out of a machine") describes an unexpected, artificial, or improbable character, device, or event introduced suddenly in a work of fiction or drama to resolve a situation or untangle a plot...
cyborg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2009, 01:59 PM   #3
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

lol
Old 28th October 2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Praktik
Philosopher

TIFYSA?

I dont get it!
Praktik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2009, 02:02 PM   #5
cyborg
deus ex machina

Try again: two words, first word begins with F.
The phrase deus ex machina (literally "god out of a machine") describes an unexpected, artificial, or improbable character, device, or event introduced suddenly in a work of fiction or drama to resolve a situation or untangle a plot...
cyborg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2009, 02:03 PM   #6
Doctor Evil
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Praktik View Post
TIFYSA?

I dont get it!
Each line, not paragraph. And only the body of the letter counts.

Surely a joke?

"In this universe, effect follows cause. I've complained about it but ... " -- House
Doctor Evil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2009, 02:03 PM   #7
JenseitsDavon
Thinker

Each line, not each paragraph. I did the same thing at first!

ETA: Curse you, Doctor Evil!
"With his new book, '<insert woo book>', <insert woo> strode bravely into the Forest of Science to do battle with the dragons whose names are Logic, Critical Thinking, and Reason. It is with greatest regret I inform you, ladies and gentleman, that the dragons won."
JenseitsDavon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2009, 02:06 PM   #8
Doctor Evil
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JenseitsDavon View Post
Each line, not each paragraph. I did the same thing at first!

ETA: Curse you, Doctor Evil!
I am sure we can handle this as adults.

PS. First!

"In this universe, effect follows cause. I've complained about it but ... " -- House
Doctor Evil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2009, 02:07 PM   #9
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Doctor Evil View Post
Surely a joke?
Doubtful, it's a California government web site.
Old 28th October 2009, 02:12 PM   #10
Doctor Evil
Master Poster

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Doubtful, it's a California government web site.
I see. I find this extremely funny. However, it must also indicate a complete breakdown of relations between the state legislators and the gobernator.

Time to move?

Old 28th October 2009, 02:18 PM   #11
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Doctor Evil View Post
Time to move?
Indeed. A lot of people are thinking the same thing. For an interesting bit of trivia about this, check out the one-way U-Haul rental rates from, say, Los Angeles to Houston versus Houston to LA. There's a major price differential, and it's due to the difference in demand.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2009, 02:21 PM   #12
Whiplash

Heh, meanwhile, my best friend from youth, who moved to Cali about 10 years ago, has been trying to convince me to move out there for years. I've never wanted to be there in even the best of circumstances. But now?
Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2009, 03:25 PM   #13
gtc
Philosopher

Apparently it was aimed at Tom Ammiano.

Quote:
Californian Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger typically attaches a message to bills he signs or vetoes telling law makers why he took the action.
A Democratic assembly man who heckled the governor during a recent event in San Francisco actually received two messages: the veto letter itself and a not-so-subtle rebuke creatively hidden within it.

Schwarzenegger's veto messages are sent to the law makers who authored the bills, and posted on the governor's Web site

On a video clip of the governor's appearance, Ammiano can be heard shouting "you lie" and other derogatory phrases as other attendees booed and heckled Schwarzenegger's brief speech.
After the governor left, Ammiano took the stage and gave a rambling diatribe in which he criticised Schwarzenegger for a wide variety of perceived offences. In part, the freshman law maker was upset that Schwarzenegger had vetoed bills in 2005 and 2007 that would have legalised gay marriage.
The governor has said the issue should be decided by voters or the state Supreme Court. Schwarzenegger also opposed Proposition 8, the initiative voters passed in November to ban same-sex marriage.
gtc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2009, 04:01 PM   #14
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Try again: two words, first word begins with F.
Actually, it's three words: I **** you. Sounds like Arnie's trying to get a little action on the side.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2009, 04:07 PM   #15
Freddy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Actually, it's three words: I **** you. Sounds like Arnie's trying to get a little action on the side.
Actually, it says I **** yous. He must secretly be from New Jersey.
More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?
Freddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2009, 04:21 PM   #16
LostAngeles
Penultimate Amazing

The bill that prompted it?

http://democrats.assembly.ca.gov/mem...2AD13PR01.aspx

Seriously, I expect this kind of **** from the dumbasses down here in City Hall.
LostAngeles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2009, 04:22 PM   #17
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Actually, it says I **** yous.
No, I think the "Sincerely" should be read as a whole word. Adds a touch of class, don't you think?
Old 28th October 2009, 06:27 PM   #18
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Location: In 2.5 million spinning tons of metal, above Epsilion Eridani III
ah, breakdown in relations.
Old 28th October 2009, 06:46 PM   #19
Roadtoad
Bufo Caminus Inedibilis

What relations? The Assembly's been at Arnie's throat from the day he took office.

Overdue.
Roadtoad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2009, 07:15 PM   #20
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Rika View Post
ah, breakdown in relations.
or, perhaps, an offer of reconciliation?
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2009, 07:23 PM   #21
Grizzly Bear
このマスクによっ

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Inside the otherwise rather innocuous letter explaining his veto is a code. Read the first letter of each line to find his secret message to the legislature.
!!!
Old 28th October 2009, 07:29 PM   #22
GreyICE

Wow. I'm in NYS, and that's pretty bad.

Okay, that's moderately bad.

Okay, the government is working pretty well, all things considered.
GreyICE is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2009, 09:20 PM   #23
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

His next letter will be pithier:

"I'll be back!"
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics