IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags arnold schwarzenegger , California issues , California politics , drug laws , marijuana legalization

Old 2nd October 2010, 10:09 PM   #1
bit_pattern

Thumbs up California downgrades marijuana possession from misdemeanour to infraction

Go Arnie! Now just stop opposing decriminalisation

Quote:
Marijuana Possession in California Reduced from Misdemeanor to Minor Infraction
By Leader Staff. Published on 10/02/2010 - 10:24am

In California, possessing up to an ounce of marijuana is now no more serious than getting a speeding ticket. Late Thursday evening, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a bill that reduces the possession of an ounce or less from a misdemeanor to an infraction with a maximum punishment of a $100 fine.

After signing Senate Bill 1449 that he doesn't support decriminalization of marijuana, but that the bill would save courts money. He said:

"Prosecutors, defense attorneys, law enforcement and the courts cannot afford to expend limited resources prosecuting a crime that carries the same punishment as a traffic ticket."
bit_pattern is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 07:02 AM   #2
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by bit_pattern View Post
Go Arnie! Now just stop opposing decriminalisation

That was decriminalization.

Decriminalization ≠ legalization.
Old 3rd October 2010, 07:07 AM   #3
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post

That was decriminalization.

Decriminalization ≠ legalization.
Well, it effectively decriminalized it for personal use, but doesn't affect laws about selling or growing.
Old 3rd October 2010, 07:17 AM   #4
Brattus

Dude! That Rrr....... Hey man! Did you see the one show l........Got any more of that s+++?..................Dude That Roc.....Oh yeah....I already said th.......Where's that one game?.......Hey man! You got any more of tha................
Brattus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 08:49 AM   #5
Cain
Straussian

So we're not totally screwed up but pot is for pussies. Legalize meth!
Old 3rd October 2010, 03:43 PM   #6
PellyDforscience
New Blood

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
So we're not totally screwed up but pot is for pussies. Legalize meth!
Meth does WAY more damage than pot, thats not funny. Meth production creates a biohazard, while growhouses dont.
PellyDforscience is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 03:45 PM   #7
bikerdruid
Philosopher

a good step in the right direction.
bikerdruid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2010, 04:34 PM   #8
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by PellyDforscience View Post
Meth does WAY more damage than pot, thats not funny. Meth production creates a biohazard, while growhouses dont.
Pussy.
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:14 PM   #9
HumanityBlues
Graduate Poster

I think it's great to decriminalize marijuana, and the policy reason to "save money" is a good one. Now if Arnold just had the balls to tax the **** out of it and make money for the State of California, that would be great too.
HumanityBlues is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 06:35 AM   #10
bikerdruid
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HumanityBlues View Post
I think it's great to decriminalize marijuana, and the policy reason to "save money" is a good one. Now if Arnold just had the balls to tax the **** out of it and make money for the State of California, that would be great too.
decriminalizing is not the answer.
it is still illegal to grow and sell.
one still deals with criminals when buying pot.
it must be legalized so that one can grow their own.
bikerdruid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 11:10 AM   #11
Praktik
Philosopher

what about the children?? Won't someone please think of the children??
Praktik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 03:10 PM   #12
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by bikerdruid View Post
it must be legalized so that one can grow their own.
But then they can't "tax the **** out of it".
Old 4th October 2010, 03:34 PM   #13
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Illegal grows can and do cause environmental harm, though bluesky grows tend to be worse than grow house harms.

Meth (and most of its cousin bumping analogs) is(are) legal, with the proper diagnosis and prescription. Big difference between legal and illegal production and distribution.
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 03:49 PM   #14
jiggeryqua
Illuminator

But then they can't "tax the **** out of it".
In the UK at least, it is legal to brew your own beer, ferment your own wine and grow your own tobacco. Nevertheless, most users prefer to buy reliable quality products from established suppliers. The government taxes the **** out of them.
jiggeryqua is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 03:55 PM   #15
godofpie
Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

Pussy.
QFT
People should not be limited in the ways that they can hurt themselves ingesting things. Meth is not a bio hazard if you do it right.
godofpie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2010, 04:36 PM   #16
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by jiggeryqua View Post
In the UK at least, it is legal to brew your own beer, ferment your own wine and grow your own tobacco. Nevertheless, most users prefer to buy reliable quality products from established suppliers. The government taxes the **** out of them.
Good luck brewing your own beer for much cheaper than you can buy craft beer at the store, same with wine. These things have a huge economy of scale, which is why the **** can be taxed out of it yet it's still an inexpensive product. And the problem with growing tobacco for most smokers is the huge amount of space it requires, which most smokers do not have.
Quote:
If you want to grow tobacco to make your own cigarettes or pipe tobacco, you should have an area at least 8 meters by 1 meter. This will be enough to grow approximately fifty tobacco plants, which will allow you to make about 5000 or more cigarettes.
http://www.rusticgirls.com/gardening...g-tobacco.html

A pack a day smoker would need twice that.

Under Prop 19 you get to have 25ft2 to grow your own, which is all you'd need for personal use.
Old 5th October 2010, 02:30 AM   #17
jiggeryqua
Illuminator

Good luck brewing your own beer for much cheaper than you can buy craft beer at the store, same with wine. These things have a huge economy of scale, which is why the **** can be taxed out of it yet it's still an inexpensive product. And the problem with growing tobacco for most smokers is the huge amount of space it requires, which most smokers do not have.
Well that was rather my point - in response to bikerdruid's assertion that people should be allowed to grow their own (itself a response to HumanityBlue's hope that Arnie would have "the balls to tax the **** out of it") , you said that [if people could grow their own] Arnie wouldn't be able to "tax the **** out of it".

So again, in that context, I say that while it is legal in the UK to brew your own beer etc, most people don't, for all manner of reasons, some of which you have highlighted. I don't brew my own or grow my own, but I was hoping you'd appreciate that you can have it both ways - some people might indeed grow their own, some people might even start the equivalent of artisan- or micro-breweries (increasingly popular in the UK and elsewhere), but chances are most buyers will be going to a convenient store to pick up state-approved substances which the state "taxes the **** out of".

Among the reasons people do, for example, brew their own beer or ferment their own wine are the opportunity to tailor the taste, the satisfaction of creating something yourself, the use of a local glut of ingredients etc. People will sometimes do those things even if it is cheaper to pop to the store and buy some mass-produced generic product - just as I'd rather eat well, by growing my own vegetables and cooking my own meals, than go to a fast-food outlet and eat cheaply.
jiggeryqua is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 03:25 AM   #18
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Praktik View Post
what about the children?? Won't someone please think of the children??
Why, is there some reason why they can't go and get their own weed?
Old 5th October 2010, 03:47 AM   #19
Praktik
Philosopher

ha!
Praktik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 04:28 AM   #20
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by jiggeryqua View Post
Well that was rather my point - in response to bikerdruid's assertion that people should be allowed to grow their own (itself a response to HumanityBlue's hope that Arnie would have "the balls to tax the **** out of it") , you said that [if people could grow their own] Arnie wouldn't be able to "tax the **** out of it".

So again, in that context, I say that while it is legal in the UK to brew your own beer etc, most people don't, for all manner of reasons, some of which you have highlighted. I don't brew my own or grow my own, but I was hoping you'd appreciate that you can have it both ways - some people might indeed grow their own, some people might even start the equivalent of artisan- or micro-breweries (increasingly popular in the UK and elsewhere), but chances are most buyers will be going to a convenient store to pick up state-approved substances which the state "taxes the **** out of".

Among the reasons people do, for example, brew their own beer or ferment their own wine are the opportunity to tailor the taste, the satisfaction of creating something yourself, the use of a local glut of ingredients etc. People will sometimes do those things even if it is cheaper to pop to the store and buy some mass-produced generic product - just as I'd rather eat well, by growing my own vegetables and cooking my own meals, than go to a fast-food outlet and eat cheaply.
My point flew right over your head - commercially produced beer and wine are inexpensive products. But those advocating "taxing the ****" out of marijuana envision the retail price to be similar to the black market price now, which wouldn't be sustainable at all.

It's much, much easier to grow marijuana than brewing your own beer, or making wine.

Last edited by WildCat; 5th October 2010 at 04:51 AM.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 04:48 AM   #21
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Pussy.
Say the one with a picture of one as avatar
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 05:00 AM   #22
The Painter
Banned

Good for Arnold. This has been a long time coming. Like 40 years. It may not be completely legal but a ticket sure beats the bracelets and jail time.
The Painter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 09:36 AM   #23
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

It's been like that here in a Minnesota for a while. Anything up to 40 grams is a petty misdemeanor, unless they have evidence of "intent to distribute".
Old 5th October 2010, 09:41 AM   #24
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Since Schwarzenegger is seen smoking a joint in the 1978 weight-lifting documentary Pumping Iron, it would be hypocritical of him (IMO) to side with the DEA in continuing to nail pot-smokers to the wall for a crime which harms no one except for a possibly minute amount of lung damage from heat and smoke to the smoker.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 05:58 PM   #25
bikerdruid
Philosopher

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Why, is there some reason why they can't go and get their own weed?
Old 6th October 2010, 01:58 PM   #26
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

See, now if you legalized it, you could regulate it to be a much cleaner production...

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 6th October 2010 at 02:05 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2010, 05:01 PM   #27
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
Since Schwarzenegger is seen smoking a joint in the 1978 weight-lifting documentary Pumping Iron, it would be hypocritical of him (IMO) to side with the DEA
Anyone who doesn't have the same attitudes towards a political issue that they had 32 years ago is a hypocrite?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events