IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2010 election results , arnold schwarzenegger , California politics , Carla Fiorina , Jerry Brown , Linda McMahon , Meg Whitman , Susana Martinez

Old 3rd November 2010, 07:20 AM   #1
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Governor Moonbeam Is Back!

Looks like Jerry Brown is back as governor in CA.

On another note, looks like all the women CEO's lost - Fiorina, Whitman and McMahon.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2010, 07:29 AM   #2
daredelvis
Master Poster

Great news about the Fiorina, Whitman and McMahon losses. Too bad Whitman didn't win so she could bring California back to like it was in the '80's when it was a great state, and governed by Brown...

Jerry Brown will now hold the record for youngest and oldest governor of California.

Daredelvis
Old 3rd November 2010, 07:33 AM   #3
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if Linda McMahon will now go back to the WWF as an "evil" character, bitter because of her loss, and take it out on the good guys?

The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Cicero
Banned

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Looks like Jerry Brown is back as governor in CA.

On another note, looks like all the women CEO's lost - Fiorina, Whitman and McMahon.
On another note, looks like there are four (4) Republican women governors - Martinez, Fallin, Haley, Brewer.
Cicero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2010, 07:41 AM   #5
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
On another note, looks like there are four (4) Republican women governors - Martinez, Fallin, Haley, Brewer.
So? How many are/were CEOs?

Old 3rd November 2010, 08:07 AM   #6
Cicero
Banned

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
So? How many are/were CEOs?
Who cares? There is only one female Hispanic to be a governor in the history of the U.S., Sussana Martinez.
Cicero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2010, 08:47 AM   #7
R.Mackey
Philosopher

Somebody wake Jello. It's time to update California Uber Alles...
R.Mackey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:02 PM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Whitman, Fiorina, and McMahon new theme song should be "Can't Buy Me Love"...
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:13 PM   #9
Cicero
Banned

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Bloomberg Spent $77 Million in Re-Election Campaign. What's his theme song, "Money Changes Everything."
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:14 PM   #10
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Who cares? There is only one female Hispanic to be a governor in the history of the U.S., Sussana Martinez.
So? We are discussing Governor Moonbeam and the 3 women CEOs who lost. If you want to discuss your teabagger heros, start another thread.

Old 3rd November 2010, 01:36 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Bloomberg Spent $77 Million in Re-Election Campaign. What's his theme song, "Money Changes Everything."
Difference: At least Bloomberg got elected.....

I think Cicero's sense of humor is lacking.

And if they were Billionaire Democrats who spent Tens of Millions of their own money and failed to get elected I would make the same joke.......

Last edited by dudalb; 3rd November 2010 at 01:37 PM.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2010, 01:44 PM   #12
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Attacking, criticizing or saying mean things about Republicans and teabaggers is not funny!
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2010, 01:50 PM   #13
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Attacking, criticizing or saying mean things about Republicans and teabaggers is not funny!
Yes, it is. Pompous asses are legitimate targets of humor.
Old 3rd November 2010, 01:53 PM   #14
Lisa Simpson

I wasn't (and am not) terrible thrilled with the idea of Governor Moonbeam again, but he's still better than Whitman. Mostly I'm happy that the endless barrage of Whitman ads is over.
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2010, 02:01 PM   #15
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Brown is another example of the power of a Democrat who acts like a Democrat.

A less defined Democrat would probably not have been able to stand up to Nutmeg's money.
Old 3rd November 2010, 02:25 PM   #16
marksman
Reality Checker

So does this mean Schwarzenegger can get back to making crappy movies instead of crappy States?
marksman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2010, 02:43 PM   #17
Lisa Simpson

Originally Posted by marksman View Post
so does this mean schwarzenegger can get back to making crappy movies instead of crappy states?
Yes! YES! YES!
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2010, 02:46 PM   #18
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
Must... resist... opening...
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2010, 02:54 PM   #19
BeAChooser
Banned

Originally Posted by Lisa Simpson View Post
I wasn't (and am not) terrible thrilled with the idea of Governor Moonbeam again, but he's still better than Whitman.
Let's see if you still think that 2 years from now.
BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2010, 02:56 PM   #20
Lisa Simpson

I'm sure I'll still think he's better than Whitman. Whether or not he's better than a different Democrat is another story.
Old 3rd November 2010, 02:58 PM   #21
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sword_Of_Truth View Post
Must... resist... opening...
If you strike him down... he will... be back... I guess... sorry, I lost my train of thought there.
Old 3rd November 2010, 03:31 PM   #22
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Originally Posted by R.Mackey View Post
Somebody wake Jello. It's time to update California Uber Alles...
Oh don't worry, he was blathering almost exactly that the other week down here on the rock. Totally OT it is awesome to see someone so old inspire so much in young musicians. Nowadays when bands' musical roots only go a few years deep, he can pop up and get even the trendoids moving
Old 3rd November 2010, 04:40 PM   #23
BeAChooser
Banned

I'm sure I'll still think he's better than Whitman. Whether or not he's better than a different Democrat is another story.
I guess we will just have to see how many of Brown's promises he doesn't keep and which you simply forgive.
BeAChooser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2010, 02:27 AM   #24
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Whitman was against the high speed rail system which was a deal breaker for me. So in that regard I'm glad Brown won.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2010, 04:13 AM   #25
eeyore1954
Philosopher

At least they pumped some money into the economy.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2010, 04:15 AM   #26
eeyore1954
Philosopher

What is the obvious response to this statement?
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2010, 04:23 AM   #27
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

I...I think you have something in your eye there lefty. Looks pretty big too.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2010, 05:22 AM   #28
EvilSmurf
Graduate Poster

I wasn't (and am not) terrible thrilled with the idea of Governor Moonbeam again, but he's still better than Whitman. Mostly I'm happy that the endless barrage of Whitman ads is over.
I subscribe to NHL Center Ice and often catch the Ducks, Sharks or Kings feed of games and the frequency of Whitman ads (both during the primary and the general) was enough to annoy me and those games were my only exposure to them...I can't imagine how it would be for someone who actually lived in Cali.
EvilSmurf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2010, 05:29 AM   #29
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

At least you have a governor.

(sigh)
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2010, 05:37 AM   #30
applecorped
Banned

Pompous asses are legitimate targets of humor.
Yes, yes they are.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2010, 05:43 AM   #31
applecorped
Banned

"It's all a lie... You run for office and the assumption is; oh I know what to do. You don't; I didn't have a plan for California... you say you're going to lower taxes, you're going to put people to work, you're going to improve the schools... you're going to stop crime; crime is up, schools are worse, taxes are higher; I mean be real..."

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Jerry Brown
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2010, 06:32 AM   #32
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
"It's all a lie... You run for office and the assumption is; oh I know what to do. You don't; I didn't have a plan for California... you say you're going to lower taxes, you're going to put people to work, you're going to improve the schools... you're going to stop crime; crime is up, schools are worse, taxes are higher; I mean be real..."

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Jerry Brown
ProBonoShill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2010, 06:44 AM   #33
BeAChooser
Banned

Well one thing you can be sure of with Jerry Brown.

Government unions, environmental wackos and illegal aliens will make out just fine at taxpayer's expense.

And California will sink even deeper into the economic tar pit that democrats and those unions have put it in.
Old 4th November 2010, 06:56 AM   #34
EvilSmurf
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post

I AGREE

Jerry Brown
It appears to me what Brown is saying there is that someone running for office is not always sure that they can get the results they intend, due to the potential for external circumstances changing things or their policies not working out the way they intended. For example, I firmly believe that Bush 100% authentically believed that the US troops would be greeted as liberators in Iraq...didn't exactly work out that way.

Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
Well one thing you can be sure of with Jerry Brown.

Government unions, environmental wackos and illegal aliens will make out just fine at taxpayer's expense.

And California will sink even deeper into the economic tar pit that democrats and those unions have put it in.
I think a certain Mr. Schwarzenegger would like to have words with you after you just described him as a Democrat.

Last edited by EvilSmurf; 4th November 2010 at 06:58 AM.
EvilSmurf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2010, 09:50 AM   #35
Cicero
Banned

Difference: At least Bloomberg got elected.....

And if they were Billionaire Democrats who spent Tens of Millions of their own money and failed to get elected I would make the same joke.......
The perennial fence straddler dudalb has now taken a stance. Buying votes is OK as long as you win the election, but if you lose, it is merely funny.
Old 4th November 2010, 09:52 AM   #36
Cicero
Banned

Originally Posted by CptColumbo View Post
At least you have a governor.

(sigh)
You don't even have a coach.
Old 4th November 2010, 09:58 AM   #37
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EvilSmurf View Post
It appears to me what Brown is saying there is that someone running for office is not always sure that they can get the results they intend, due to the potential for external circumstances changing things or their policies not working out the way they intended.
No. He is not simply stating he didn't know if his plan would work, he's explicitly saying he didn't even have a plan.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2010, 10:28 AM   #38
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Political anylists are saying that the saturation of ads hurt Whitman. The trick is to spend money buy not look like you are doing. Whitman was way too obvious.
Old 4th November 2010, 10:29 AM   #39
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
At least they pumped some money into the economy.
Yeah, they were a gift to the Broadcasting industry in California and Vermont.
Old 4th November 2010, 10:31 AM   #40
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The perennial fence straddler dudalb has now taken a stance. Buying votes is OK as long as you win the election, but if you lose, it is merely funny.
I did not say it was OK, I am saying that Bloomburg spent his money better.
And if trying not to see things through ideological lenses make me a Fence Straddler, so be it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics