IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags arnold schwarzenegger , sex scandals

Old 19th May 2011, 06:58 PM   #41
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
I have lost a considerable amount of respect for old Arnie in this.

One thing I'm sick of, whenever these kinds of stories come up, is the people who will bend over backwards to point out how it's part of man's nature, or biology.. and basically make excuses and rationales for why it's understandable or forgivable.

But I disagree, because there are legions of men who face the same temptations as anyone else, and do NOT act on them. It is clearly possible to do so. It clearly will not kill you to fight those urges.

The line is crossed when you give into those urges, and convince yourself you aren't doing anything wrong.. and indeed may even be a simple victim to your own biology or DNA.

There are so many men and women in this world who do not act on such temptations. Who take their vows to others seriously. It's obviously quite feasible to act in such a manner.. So I have no patience for those who give in to such desires. They are rationalizing, selfish scum. They destroy families, and lives. And for what? A different woman than the one they'd already been with? They are all the same, downstairs, if you know what I mean guys. You aren't missing anything by not having as many of them in one lifetime as you can get. There's not some kind of magic genitals out there that you may miss out on.
Do you think that all people who succomb to such desires are rationalizing, selfish scum.
I agree with Ben that when you make a solemn vow you keep it but sometimes things happen that shouldn't, it doesn't neccesarily mean you are scum. Hiding it for ten years and most likely paying someone off is harder to overlook than having an affair.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2011, 08:30 PM   #42
Neally
Illuminator

Both his legitimate and illegitimate sons were born about a week apart. Seems Arnie was having a testosterone spike back then.
Neally is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2011, 08:43 AM   #43
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
If enough people refused to buy the tabloids because they were too trashy and opportunist then the content would change quickly. But in spite of choruses of disapproval just like yours (often, I suspect, from the very same people who buy them) that kind of content continues to sell very well, as it always has.
Unfortunately, the human brain is also wired for gossip.
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2011, 11:14 AM   #44
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by ZirconBlue View Post

Even though I appreciate the significance, and find it fascinating, this still goes into the "They needed a study to find that out?" category.

A study on the addiction qualities of gossip would be fun, as well. We hear plenty about "sex addicts" but who's going to flood the morning shows with baleful warnings about how people are addicted to gossip. I think it might strike a little bit too close to home.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2011, 11:37 AM   #45
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I just wonder how he kept the whole quite for so very long.

I find that so very odd because the one thing the big guy has always been good for is his talking, and yet not talking is what kept this issue out of the media for so long.

Wow!

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2011, 07:49 PM   #46
EGarrett
Illuminator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
They are selling a product people want. I think your condemnation is aimed at the wrong target.

If enough people refused to buy the tabloids because they were too trashy and opportunist then the content would change quickly. But in spite of choruses of disapproval just like yours (often, I suspect, from the very same people who buy them) that kind of content continues to sell very well, as it always has.
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people." -Eleanor Roosevelt

One of my favorite quotes. BTW, I think it would say something about anyone who is genuinely interested in the news that a muscular, rich man had sex with lots of women.
Old 21st May 2011, 05:37 PM   #47
ThunderChunky
Master Poster

The kid looks just like him. He has a bastard. I do not see how that is worse that being a cheater without a bastard.
ThunderChunky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2011, 11:39 AM   #48
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
The kid looks just like him. He has a bastard. I do not see how that is worse that being a cheater without a bastard.
Well, from the point of view of the wife, at the very least it indicates the probability of unsafe sex which potentially exposes her to life-threatening illness. It's also a longer term, more meaningful deception.

From the public's point of view, it's just more pruriently fascinating when there's living, breathing evidence of the celebrity affair.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2011, 05:30 PM   #49
Kaylee
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Well, from the point of view of the wife, at the very least it indicates the probability of unsafe sex which potentially exposes her to life-threatening illness. It's also a longer term, more meaningful deception.

From the public's point of view, it's just more pruriently fascinating when there's living, breathing evidence of the celebrity affair.

Also, how involved was Arnie in the kid's life? Every kid deserves two fully involved parents.
Kaylee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2011, 12:13 PM   #50
Makalu G
New Blood

To say the "majority" of people deal with the same "temptations" that a mega movie-star deals with aren't being realistic.

Not condoning infidelity or anything, but that's a whole 'nother world when you're a rich super-star...
Makalu G is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2011, 04:48 PM   #51
Baylor
Philosopher

He does resemble Arnie.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2011, 08:27 PM   #52
ThunderChunky
Master Poster

Unsafe sex could happen without pregnancy and impregnated mistresses could get abortions, so the existence of a bastard doesn't make a difference in regard health issue.

It's a long term deception, but so is concealing an affair or simply the fact that you cheated on someone 10 years ago. The existence of the bastard does not change the significance of the deception. If she had found out about the bastard 10 years ago, the marriage probably would have ended then, instead of now.

From the public's point of view I agree, it's much more interesting. But from the point of view of losing respect for Arnie, I dont see how a bastard matters, except with regard to Kaylee's comment. Arnie's role of as a father to the child could be important. If there is no other father figure for the kid, and Arnie didn't care for him, then I would understand that point. From the limited reading I have done it looks like the kid was at least somewhat taken care of.
ThunderChunky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2011, 06:14 AM   #53
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by keale View Post
TMZ is now reporting that Ahnold had a private office in Santa Monica where "many women" were seen entering this place at all hours of the night. According to the report the office had several bedrooms. LOL!
I have trouble believing that. This had been going on for over a decade and not a single person who saw all these women visiting his private office at all hours of the night said anything until now?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2011, 07:34 AM   #54
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I have trouble believing that. This had been going on for over a decade and not a single person who saw all these women visiting his private office at all hours of the night said anything until now?

As much as it irks me to say it, because I deplore the way they make their money, TMZ has a virtually flawless record for accuracy. Many more mainstream news organizations can only wish for the rep that TMZ has developed. They also have a pretty good history of digging up the dirt before anyone else.

In today's gossip biz if they report it as true it's even more bankable than if it's been "officially denied"*.

(Old journalism adage: "Never believe anything until it's been officially denied.")

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2011, 08:48 AM   #55
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Ah, but that is a True(tm) appeal to authority. The story doesn't sound believable To me because it doesn't make sense as written. Whoever published it has no bearing on the problem.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2011, 09:21 AM   #56
Philosaur
Muse

Unsafe sex could happen without pregnancy and impregnated mistresses could get abortions, so the existence of a bastard doesn't make a difference in regard health issue.

It's a long term deception, but so is concealing an affair or simply the fact that you cheated on someone 10 years ago. The existence of the bastard does not change the significance of the deception. If she had found out about the bastard 10 years ago, the marriage probably would have ended then, instead of now.

From the public's point of view I agree, it's much more interesting. But from the point of view of losing respect for Arnie, I dont see how a bastard matters, except with regard to Kaylee's comment. Arnie's role of as a father to the child could be important. If there is no other father figure for the kid, and Arnie didn't care for him, then I would understand that point. From the limited reading I have done it looks like the kid was at least somewhat taken care of.
Classy. You do realize that the term "bastard" is hurtful, right? Can you try to keep in mind that you're referring to a real live human child?
Old 27th May 2011, 11:25 AM   #57
ThunderChunky
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Philosaur View Post
Classy. You do realize that the term "bastard" is hurtful, right? Can you try to keep in mind that you're referring to a real live human child?
Nah, 'bastard' is making a comeback. Haven't you been watching Game of Thrones?

It's like the word retarded. Some over sensitive people find it offensive, but sometimes it really is the most appropriate word.
Old 27th May 2011, 12:23 PM   #58
Philosaur
Muse

Nah, 'bastard' is making a comeback. Haven't you been watching Game of Thrones?

It's like the word retarded. Some over sensitive people find it offensive, but sometimes it really is the most appropriate word.
So "over sensitive people" is code for "anyone I can't be bothered to empathize with". Good to know.

Ever stop to think that a number of the folks on this board might have been born out of wedlock, or might have kids who were?

Looks like being a crass f-stick is making a comeback, too.
Old 27th May 2011, 12:54 PM   #59
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

So "over sensitive people" is code for "anyone I can't be bothered to empathize with". Good to know.
Of course it is. Retards, bastards, and their families need to build up thicker skins so that people can feel freer to be meaner.
Quote:
Ever stop to think that a number of the folks on this board might have been born out of wedlock, or might have kids who were?
As a member of the bastard club, it doesn't bother me when somebody calls me one (the only person who does is my best friend and it's part of friend-to-friend kidding around) but it really bothers me when someone else is hit with that word, especially a child. The sins of the father and mother should be their own, and the child should be left the heck alone.
Quote:
It never seems to go out of style.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2011, 09:09 PM   #60
ThunderChunky
Master Poster

Someone is over sensitive if they think a word is offensive for no reason. A bastard has no reason to be offended by the word. There is nothing wrong with being a bastard, acting like it is a bad word is IMO putting more shame on such people rather than using the word in the appropriate context. What would make such a person offended is something from within them, not something that has to do with language used by others.
Old 27th May 2011, 09:13 PM   #61
ThunderChunky
Master Poster

Of course it is. Retards, bastards, and their families need to build up thicker skins so that people can feel freer to be meaner.
Really it's for their own good, not for the benefit of people to be meaner. If a person is retarded, then they are retarded, it's not their fault, but by definition it is an appropriate word to be used at certain times. Same thing for bastard. If you are offended by simple words that are by definition correct and are not used for the purpose of being offensive, then the problem lies within you.
Old 28th May 2011, 12:19 AM   #62
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Ah, but that is a True(tm) appeal to authority. The story doesn't sound believable To me because it doesn't make sense as written. Whoever published it has no bearing on the problem.

It isn't an appeal to anything. It is an observation that the source has a proven track record of being right about just this sort of reporting.

Who published it is exactly what has a bearing on the chances of its veracity. No, TMZ is not always perfectly accurate, but they've built up a rep for avoiding any major gaffs, or even very many minor ones. They have built themselves into being a source that the other major news outlets turn to for reliability.

And if they should turn out to be mistaken then they'll retract and correct. Usually quite promptly, prominently and without any waffling.

Now if, perchance, you were being critical of keale's interpretation of the TMZ report, and not of the report itself (maybe I misunderstood you) then you could have checked the source first, before offering your criticism.

Here's a link.

It seems to say pretty much what he represented it as saying.

If I need to choose between TMZ's proven history of accuracy and your personal incredulity I know which authority I'll go with. I don't like what they do, but that doesn't have to blind me to how well they do it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events