IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags george soros , Soros conspiracies

Reply
Old 15th October 2020, 04:19 AM   #41
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,497
Isn't it great that the wife of a Supreme Court Justice is openly spreading anti-Semitic conspiracy theories?

Quote:
A post today from Ginni Thomas, wife of Justice Clarence Thomas, says “George Soros is training his family to carry on his evil legacy...”
https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1316384721807515649
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 04:29 AM   #42
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14,866
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Isn't it great that the wife of a Supreme Court Justice is openly spreading anti-Semitic conspiracy theories?



https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1316384721807515649
explains a lot.
__________________
The things that you're liable
To read in the Bible
It ain't necessarily so
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 04:32 AM   #43
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,497
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
explains a lot.
I have been wondering how the anti semites are going to pivot once Soros dies. Dude is quite elderly, so someone is going to have to fill the shoes of the "rich international Jew" pulling all the puppet strings pretty soon.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 05:02 AM   #44
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,977
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I have been wondering how the anti semites are going to pivot once Soros dies. Dude is quite elderly, so someone is going to have to fill the shoes of the "rich international Jew" pulling all the puppet strings pretty soon.
What's the process for appointing a new Great Jewish Scapegoat, and is it allowed in an election year?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 06:48 AM   #45
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,470
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
What's the process for appointing a new Great Jewish Scapegoat, and is it allowed in an election year?
That is a germane question - who will take over from Soros - as the 'great evil hiding in the darkness - extreme right's bogie man'? Maybe 'they' will push for Gates to take over and make up that he is secretly Jewish? Any other contenders?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 06:49 AM   #46
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,497
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
That is a germane question - who will take over from Soros - as the 'great evil hiding in the darkness - extreme right's bogie man'? Maybe 'they' will push for Gates to take over and make up that he is secretly Jewish? Any other contenders?
If Gates were Jewish, there would be no contest. This is a pretty significant deficiency in his resume though.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 11:00 AM   #47
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 22,929
Is this the proper thread for posts relating to direct deposits? Mine have been getting hung up lately and the HR people are useless.
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 12:40 PM   #48
CORed
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central City, Colorado, USA
Posts: 10,136
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
But you got better....
Yeah, but he turned that Gingrich fellow into a Newt, and he didn't get better.

ETA: looks like I made a similar joke months ago. Oh well.

Last edited by CORed; 16th October 2020 at 12:43 PM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 07:02 PM   #49
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,586
Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Yeah, but he turned that Gingrich fellow into a Newt, and he didn't get better.

ETA: looks like I made a similar joke months ago. Oh well.
Well. It's not less true now than then. Or more, for that matter.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2020, 04:27 PM   #50
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,259
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I have been wondering how the anti semites are going to pivot once Soros dies. Dude is quite elderly, so someone is going to have to fill the shoes of the "rich international Jew" pulling all the puppet strings pretty soon.


Please advise what type of remarks about Soros are deemed to be not anti-semitic....?


Is only praise allowed? Are there any guidelines for this.?
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2020, 04:31 PM   #51
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,691
Never mind -- not funny enough.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde

Last edited by eerok; 24th December 2020 at 04:34 PM.
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2020, 05:08 PM   #52
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,259
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Never mind -- not funny enough.

Sure it is.

Try again.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2020, 08:37 PM   #53
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,586
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Please advise what type of remarks about Soros are deemed to be not anti-semitic....?


Is only praise allowed? Are there any guidelines for this.?
Yup. Rationality. Truth. Logic.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2020, 04:34 AM   #54
timhau
NWO Litter Technician
 
timhau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Posts: 14,512
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
If Gates were Jewish, there would be no contest. This is a pretty significant deficiency in his resume though.
I suppose you really need to take a good alternative look at his family tree.
__________________
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord, in his wisdom, doesn't work that way. I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
- Emo Philips
timhau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2020, 09:11 AM   #55
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,586
Originally Posted by timhau View Post
I suppose you really need to take a good alternative look at his family tree.
I did that and traced his family tree back to some lady in Africa named Eve.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2020, 12:34 AM   #56
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster
 
CaptainHowdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,656
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Please advise what type of remarks about Soros are deemed to be not anti-semitic....?


Is only praise allowed? Are there any guidelines for this.?
That's a good question. The answer is that you can say anything you want about George Soros without it being antisemitic. George Soros is Jewish but other than that, there is no reason for anybody to think that any remarks about George Soros have anything to do with the Jews.

The problem is that there are people (many of them Jewish), who see any attack on George Soros as an attack on the Jewish people. Which is really weird. I don't think many Jews think that they're receiving praise when somebody says something nice about George Soros. So why would hating on Soros be seen as hating on the Jews? Other Jewish philanthropists are criticized without their critics being labelled antisemites.

This phenomenon is seen all over social media. I've even seen it happen here at ISF. A few days ago, you mentioned George Soros here. You weren't talking about Jews. Nobody was talking about Jews. Jews had no relevance to the conversation. You made a passing reference to Soros. But somebody made the connection and called you out on it. Where does this come from?

So as a follow up to Bubba's question, why does anybody hear "George Soros" and think "they're talking about Jews!" There are alot of good reasons to hate on George Soros. Alot of people do hate on George Soros. But his being Jewish has nothing to do with that. Most people wouldn't even know George Soros is Jewish if his critics weren't accused on antisemitism.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2020, 01:28 AM   #57
timhau
NWO Litter Technician
 
timhau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Posts: 14,512
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I did that and traced his family tree back to some lady in Africa named Eve.
Sounds Jewish to me.
__________________
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord, in his wisdom, doesn't work that way. I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
- Emo Philips
timhau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2020, 03:03 AM   #58
SteveAitch
Thinker
 
SteveAitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: St Aines
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I did that and traced his family tree back to some lady in Africa named Eve.
Oh? I thought her name was Lucy.
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 11:06 AM   #59
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 26,537
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
That's a good question. The answer is that you can say anything you want about George Soros without it being antisemitic. George Soros is Jewish but other than that, there is no reason for anybody to think that any remarks about George Soros have anything to do with the Jews.
Incorrect. If people are lately attributing the same types of conspiracy theories that used to be laid at the feet of "the Jews" generally, to George Soros (who is a Jew) specifically, that is more than sufficient reason to think that the anti-semitic origins of the conspiracies and attitudes of those pushing them, have not changed.

And that is of course what has been happening. Instead of "the Jews are manipulating everything behind the scenes", it's now 'a Jew named George Soros is manipulating everything behind the scenes".
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 12:01 PM   #60
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,259
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Incorrect. If people are lately attributing the same types of conspiracy theories that used to be laid at the feet of "the Jews" generally, to George Soros (who is a Jew) specifically, that is more than sufficient reason to think that the anti-semitic origins of the conspiracies and attitudes of those pushing them, have not changed.

And that is of course what has been happening. Instead of "the Jews are manipulating everything behind the scenes", it's now 'a Jew named George Soros is manipulating everything behind the scenes".

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Because the only reason people who criticize George Soros believe in their befuddled brains that he is funding antifa, radicalizing African-Americans, undermining society and promoting a globalist agenda is because in those befuddled brains George Soros is an archetypal "rich and powerful Jew", and they believe that referring to someone like George Soros specifically by name rather than saying "the Jews" generally, provides them a measure plausible deniability against people who realize that their arguments are thinly-disguised but otherwise standard "Jews controlling everything" anti-semitism and call them out for it.

In reality it doesn't actually fool anyone, which is why the ADL calls it out anyway.


Anyone not in agreement with Soros' behavior is anti-semitic. Got it.

It makes no sense.

What shall we say about people who dislike behavior identical to his, and/or his behavior, but dont know that he is jewish?

Last edited by Bubba; 27th December 2020 at 12:03 PM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 01:04 PM   #61
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,691
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Anyone not in agreement with Soros' behavior is anti-semitic. Got it.

It makes no sense.

What shall we say about people who dislike behavior identical to his, and/or his behavior, but dont know that he is jewish?
What behavior are you talking about? If it's related to The Protocols of the Elders of Zion kind of crapola, world domination, NWO, and the like, then it's obviously anti-semitic. Soros being a Jew doesn't mean he has evil intentions.

If you don't like Soros donating his money to progressive and liberal causes, then feel free to whine about that, but what's there to say about it?
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 01:15 PM   #62
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,259
What if someone critical of Soros' behavior doesnt know he is jewish?

What if someone objects to the same behavior in a black Irish racist trans-phobic lapsed catholic lesbian?

This room's logic involved says the lapsed catholic lesbian is anti-semitic.

Skeptics would not discriminate

Last edited by Bubba; 27th December 2020 at 01:16 PM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 01:27 PM   #63
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,691
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
What if someone critical of Soros' behavior doesnt know he is jewish?

What if someone objects to the same behavior in a black Irish racist trans-phobic lapsed catholic lesbian?

This room's logic involved says the lapsed catholic lesbian is anti-semitic.

Skeptics would not discriminate
I asked you what behavior you're talking about. If you can't tell me, I'll conclude you have nothing to say.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 01:36 PM   #64
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,259
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
What behavior are you talking about? If it's related to The Protocols of the Elders of Zion kind of crapola, world domination, NWO, and the like, then it's obviously anti-semitic.

Any behavior.



Quote:
Soros being a Jew doesn't mean he has evil intentions.

Thats the point here.






Quote:
If you don't like Soros donating his money to progressive and liberal causes, then feel free to whine about that, but what's there to say about it?


According to some posters above, if you tolerate evil people criticizing Soros for donating to progressive and liberal causes, or for picking his nosewhile showering, you are probably a closet anti-semite.

Be careful. In this room that might get you tarred and feathered for heresy.

Dont be like Da Vinci.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 01:40 PM   #65
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,259
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Incorrect. If people are lately attributing the same types of conspiracy theories that used to be laid at the feet of "the Jews" generally, to George Soros (who is a Jew) specifically, that is more than sufficient reason to think that the anti-semitic origins of the conspiracies and attitudes of those pushing them, have not changed.

And that is of course what has been happening. Instead of "the Jews are manipulating everything behind the scenes", it's now 'a Jew named George Soros is manipulating everything behind the scenes".


If someone said Soros is an influencer, would you say they are anti-semitic?

What if they said he is a jewish influencer?
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 02:02 PM   #66
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,691
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Any behavior.
No, if you don't like Soros' taste in art or literature, it's not anti-semitic to say so. Why the hell would it be?

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Thats the point here.
Then you understand that saying Soros has evil intentions simply on the basis of his Jewishness is what's anti-semitic?

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
According to some posters above, if you tolerate evil people criticizing Soros for donating to progressive and liberal causes, or for picking his nosewhile showering, you are probably a closet anti-semite.
I don't think anyone is saying that.

The thing is, the right wing has no reason to make the claims they do about Soros without implying he's an evil Jew with an evil Jewish agenda. Soros can donate his money freely and legally however he likes, and you are free to dislike this. It's the larger claims about the world dominating agenda, echoing The Protocols that are problematic. And it looks like that's where the right wing criticism of Soros is coming from.

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Be careful. In this room that might get you tarred and feathered for heresy.
I'm not worried about it.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 05:35 PM   #67
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,259
Those claiming Soros is a NWO Globalist etc will claim the same thing about non-jewish players, for the same behaviors.


Why is mud tossed only toward the Soros claims?


Not that it happened, but should shouting Anti-Italian!! discourage mafia investigators??

Would jewish crooks hide behind cries of Anti-semitic !..? Might their non jewish sympathizers be heard shouting Anti-semitic ! to discourage people from listening to critics and claimants?


This should not need to be spelled out.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 05:40 PM   #68
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,691
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Those claiming Soros is a NWO Globalist etc will claim the same thing about non-jewish players, for the same behaviors.
I don't believe you. I think Soros' Jewishness is a problem for the right wing, and that's why they say so many stupid things about him.

Again I ask, what behaviors? A lot of people donate to progressive and liberal causes without gaining the attention that Soros does, so that can't be it. So what is it?
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 05:42 PM   #69
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,259
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Because the only reason people who criticize George Soros believe in their befuddled brains that he is funding antifa, radicalizing African-Americans, undermining society and promoting a globalist agenda is because in those befuddled brains George Soros is an archetypal "rich and powerful Jew", and they believe that referring to someone like George Soros specifically by name rather than saying "the Jews" generally, provides them a measure plausible deniability against people who realize that their arguments are thinly-disguised but otherwise standard "Jews controlling everything" anti-semitism and call them out for it.

Kinda ridiculous because Soros is not "the jews". He is an individual
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 05:57 PM   #70
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,259
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I don't believe you. I think Soros' Jewishness is a problem for the right wing, and that's why they say so many stupid things about him.

Again I ask, what behaviors? A lot of people donate to progressive and liberal causes without gaining the attention that Soros does, so that can't be it. So what is it?

It doesnt matter where the point, to me anyway, is behavior vs identity.


I heard that that lapsed catholic Polish black trans-phobic lesbian supports the Jehovah Witness International all male Glee Club. I disapprove of that behavior. Glee Clubs are hotbeds of bad harmony.

I'd also disapprove if Soros (or anyone) supported that cause, or if it were true he was supporting certain progressive causes which I dont support.


I would agree if someone said something like:

Quote:
....I think Soros' Jewishness is a problem for some people in the right wing, and that's why they say so many stupid things about him.


I think avoiding superlatives is usually a wise approach.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 06:12 PM   #71
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,691
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
It doesnt matter where the point, to me anyway, is behavior vs identity.

I heard that that lapsed catholic Polish black trans-phobic lesbian supports the Jehovah Witness International all male Glee Club. I disapprove of that behavior. Glee Clubs are hotbeds of bad harmony.

I'd also disapprove if Soros (or anyone) supported that cause, or if it were true he was supporting certain progressive causes which I dont support.
I don't even understand what you're trying to say here. As I've suggested, to be anti-semitic in this context is to invent an NWO/Jewish conspiracy motive to explain the actions of Soros. You are free to disagree with his politics of course. These are very different things.

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
I would agree if someone said something like:

Quote:
....I think Soros' Jewishness is a problem for some people in the right wing, and that's why they say so many stupid things about him.
I think avoiding superlatives is usually a wise approach.
If I were more of an optimist about the right wing, I might agree with you, but I'm not.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 07:26 PM   #72
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster
 
CaptainHowdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,656
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
What behavior are you talking about? If it's related to The Protocols of the Elders of Zion kind of crapola, world domination, NWO, and the like, then it's obviously anti-semitic. Soros being a Jew doesn't mean he has evil intentions.
Of course. Soros doesn't have evil intentions. No philanthropist, Jewish or not, intends their money to be used for evil. I'm sure that George Soros has noble intent but some of the causes he supports have, and will continue, to cause untold suffering for millions of people around the world. George Soros should be criticized for the causes he supports.

However, vilifying Soros has nothing to do with the Jews.

Quote:
If you don't like Soros donating his money to progressive and liberal causes, then feel free to whine about that, but what's there to say about it?
One thing they should not say is that it's antisemitic.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 07:38 PM   #73
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,691
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Of course. Soros doesn't have evil intentions. No philanthropist, Jewish or not, intends their money to be used for evil. I'm sure that George Soros has noble intent but some of the causes he supports have, and will continue, to cause untold suffering for millions of people around the world. George Soros should be criticized for the causes he supports.
Show me.

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
However, vilifying Soros has nothing to do with the Jews.
Show me.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 08:58 PM   #74
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster
 
CaptainHowdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,656
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Incorrect. If people are lately attributing the same types of conspiracy theories that used to be laid at the feet of "the Jews" generally, to George Soros (who is a Jew) specifically, that is more than sufficient reason to think that the anti-semitic origins of the conspiracies and attitudes of those pushing them, have not changed.

And that is of course what has been happening. Instead of "the Jews are manipulating everything behind the scenes", it's now 'a Jew named George Soros is manipulating everything behind the scenes".
You have cause and effect reversed. Antisemites didn't decide that George Soros represents the living embodiment of the Jewish people and that fighting against George Soros is a way of attacking the Jews.

People who hate George Soros hate him for his Open Society Foundation. They hate him because his enormous wealth gives him enormous influence on the world's stage. They hate him because he finances causes that have created and will continue creating untold misery for millions of people around the world. Nobody hates him because he is Jewish. Nobody would even know he's Jewish or make any connection with the Jewish people if Jews didn't dismiss everybody who opposes him of being motivated by antisemitism.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 09:00 PM   #75
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,259
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I don't even understand what you're trying to say here. As I've suggested, to be anti-semitic in this context is to invent an NWO/Jewish conspiracy motive to explain the actions of Soros. You are free to disagree with his politics of course. These are very different things.

I'm saying I agree with you.


Quote:
If I were more of an optimist about the right wing, I might agree with you, but I'm not.


What about conservative jews who support Trump.

Do you make exceptions for them, or are they also antisemitic ?

Last edited by Bubba; 27th December 2020 at 09:01 PM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 10:45 PM   #76
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,029
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
I'm sure that George Soros has noble intent but some of the causes he supports have, and will continue, to cause untold suffering for millions of people around the world.
".......by 2017, George Soros' donations "on civil initiatives to reduce poverty and increase transparency, and on scholarships and universities around the world" totaled $12 billion"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Soros

So you really hate poverty reduction and political transparency?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2020, 10:45 PM   #77
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,259
Some guy on FB just said Soros, W, Obama, and Hillary are all in custody.


Sorry, I dont believe it. (enjoy your victory laps anyway)

If only it were true.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2020, 04:36 AM   #78
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator
 
zooterkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Berkshire, mostly
Posts: 48,833
Mod WarningSeveral posts sent to AAH.

Knock off the personalisation, please address what people have said in this thread, not elsewhere. Also knock off the unnecessary quoting; if someone is using the 'ignore' feature, that's their choice.
Posted By:zooterkin
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.Bertrand Russell
Zooterkin is correct Darat
Nerd! Hokulele
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2020, 07:46 AM   #79
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,691
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
What about conservative jews who support Trump.

Do you make exceptions for them, or are they also antisemitic ?
I don't think that conservatism requires one to be anti-semitic, and I don't think that all anti-semites are conservative. One is what one does.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2020, 07:51 AM   #80
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,586
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Some guy on FB just said Soros, W, Obama, and Hillary are all in custody.


Sorry, I dont believe it. (enjoy your victory laps anyway)

If only it were true.
Some guy on FaceBook said that POTUS spent the weekend playing golf.

On My God!!!! That was true.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:08 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.