IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags george soros , Soros conspiracies

Reply
Old 28th December 2020, 01:04 PM   #81
Axxman300
Illuminator
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 4,955
If only the same amount of effort was put into the activities of other billionaires and industries who've used money to influence the US Congress to tilt things in their favor.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 11:07 AM   #82
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 26,537
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Anyone not in agreement with Soros' behavior is anti-semitic. Got it.
No. Simply not agreeing with Soros' behavior - his actual, real-life behavior - is not necessarily anti-semitic. If you think weed is bad and want to criticize Soros for donating money to promote marijuana legalization legislation in California, that's not anti-semitic.

Accusing Soros of "funding illegal immigrant caravans", or "funding antifa", or "controlling voting machine fraud", or otherwise sneakily manipulating world (or even national) events behind the scenes is anti-semitic, because 1) he's not actually doing those things, and 2) that's historically an anti-semitic trope.

Claiming that Company A is "run by Soros" or "controlled by Soros" because Company A's owner also owns Company B which belongs to Corporate Cooperative C which sometimes gives corporate donations to Non-Profit Org D which has also received donations from Foundation E on which Soros is board member, is anti-semitic. Claiming that UK's Remain movement was "secretly funded by Soros" because Soros made public comments that he thinks Brexit is a bad idea, is anti-semitic. Claiming that Soros "secretly funded the Women's March and Antifa" because he has publicly stated that Donald Trump is an idiot, is anti-semitic.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 03:23 PM   #83
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,586
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
No. Simply not agreeing with Soros' behavior - his actual, real-life behavior - is not necessarily anti-semitic. If you think weed is bad and want to criticize Soros for donating money to promote marijuana legalization legislation in California, that's not anti-semitic.

Accusing Soros of "funding illegal immigrant caravans", or "funding antifa", or "controlling voting machine fraud", or otherwise sneakily manipulating world (or even national) events behind the scenes is anti-semitic, because 1) he's not actually doing those things, and 2) that's historically an anti-semitic trope.

Claiming that Company A is "run by Soros" or "controlled by Soros" because Company A's owner also owns Company B which belongs to Corporate Cooperative C which sometimes gives corporate donations to Non-Profit Org D which has also received donations from Foundation E on which Soros is board member, is anti-semitic. Claiming that UK's Remain movement was "secretly funded by Soros" because Soros made public comments that he thinks Brexit is a bad idea, is anti-semitic. Claiming that Soros "secretly funded the Women's March and Antifa" because he has publicly stated that Donald Trump is an idiot, is anti-semitic.
Sorta what I said in post #53.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 10:57 AM   #84
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster
 
CaptainHowdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,656
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
No. Simply not agreeing with Soros' behavior - his actual, real-life behavior - is not necessarily anti-semitic. If you think weed is bad and want to criticize Soros for donating money to promote marijuana legalization legislation in California, that's not anti-semitic.

Accusing Soros of "funding illegal immigrant caravans", or "funding antifa", or "controlling voting machine fraud", or otherwise sneakily manipulating world (or even national) events behind the scenes is anti-semitic, because 1) he's not actually doing those things, and 2) that's historically an anti-semitic trope.

Claiming that Company A is "run by Soros" or "controlled by Soros" because Company A's owner also owns Company B which belongs to Corporate Cooperative C which sometimes gives corporate donations to Non-Profit Org D which has also received donations from Foundation E on which Soros is board member, is anti-semitic. Claiming that UK's Remain movement was "secretly funded by Soros" because Soros made public comments that he thinks Brexit is a bad idea, is anti-semitic. Claiming that Soros "secretly funded the Women's March and Antifa" because he has publicly stated that Donald Trump is an idiot, is anti-semitic.
Would any of these accusations made against Jeff Bezos be considered antisemitic?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 02:16 PM   #85
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 26,537
No. There is a separate identifiable reason that Jeff Bezos has right-wing conspiracy theories levied against him: the fact that he owns the Washington Post, which is "not nice to" Donald Trump, leading Trump to declare a single-sided rivalry with Bezos.

But even with Trump's permission leading to conspiracy-theories against Bezos, it's important to note that Bezos is not the subject of the same kinds of theories, in the same volume, as someone like Soros. That is because despite the fact that Bezos is objectively far richer and more potentially-influential, he is not Jewish.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 04:20 PM   #86
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster
 
CaptainHowdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,656
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
No. There is a separate identifiable reason that Jeff Bezos has right-wing conspiracy theories levied against him: the fact that he owns the Washington Post, which is "not nice to" Donald Trump, leading Trump to declare a single-sided rivalry with Bezos.

But even with Trump's permission leading to conspiracy-theories against Bezos, it's important to note that Bezos is not the subject of the same kinds of theories, in the same volume, as someone like Soros. That is because despite the fact that Bezos is objectively far richer and more potentially-influential, he is not Jewish.
Upthread you gave the example that accusing Soros of "funding illegal immigrant caravans", or ...otherwise sneakily manipulating world (or even national) events behind the scenes is anti-semitic, because 1) he's not actually doing those things, and 2) that's historically an anti-semitic trope.

Maybe Soros isn't providing all the financing for the caravans but OSF has established a fund to provide undocumented immigrants in NYC with financial assistance. Would accusing Soros of supporting illegal immigrants by giving them money be considered antisemitic?

If Abe Foxman gave large donations to help illegal immigrants by giving them money, would it be considered antisemitic to say that?

If I said Soros was a bad person because he is supporting illegal immigrants by giving them money, am I an antisemite?

If I said Soros was a good person because he is supporting illegal immigrants by giving them money, am I an antisemite?

Would it make a difference if I didn't know Soros is Jewish?

If I said Jeff Bezos was a bad person because he is supporting illegal immigrants by giving them money, am I an antisemite?

You already answered that in the negative because Bezos isn't Jewish. What if I believed that he was? Would it then be antisemitic?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 12:50 AM   #87
Allen773
Graduate Poster
 
Allen773's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Cali Four Neea
Posts: 1,370
Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
If only the same amount of effort was put into the activities of other billionaires and industries who've used money to influence the US Congress to tilt things in their favor.
To be fair a lot of people have spoken out against the Koch network.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:09 AM   #88
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 4,005
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post

Maybe Soros isn't providing all the financing for the caravans but OSF has established a fund to provide undocumented immigrants in NYC with financial assistance. Would accusing Soros of supporting illegal immigrants by giving them money be considered antisemitic?
The OSF has established a fund providing all immigrants with financial assistance, regardless of their documentation status. This assistance is to help people through the Covid crisis.
Deliberately misrepresenting what he's doing to make him look bad could well be anti-semitic: that would depend on whether you are suspicious of humanitarian support from everyone, or just from Jews.
Even the use of the word 'accusing' is a loaded term, especially as this programme is, by necessity, a public one. Why phrase it in this way?

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
If Abe Foxman gave large donations to help illegal immigrants by giving them money, would it be considered antisemitic to say that?
Same thing: loaded phraseology, misrepresentation of the full picture, deliberate selection of a Jew, rather than anyone else. Why pick him, if not because he's Jewish?

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
If I said Soros was a bad person because he is supporting illegal immigrants by giving them money, am I an antisemite?
Have you actually read the definition of anti-semitism? Somehow I doubt it.

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
If I said Soros was a good person because he is supporting illegal immigrants by giving them money, am I an antisemite?
I am baffled by this comment. I can only assume deliberate obtuseness.

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Would it make a difference if I didn't know Soros is Jewish?
But you do know he's Jewish. You are asking if you can hate someone for being Jewish if you don't know they're Jewish, and the only person who can answer that is you.

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
If I said Jeff Bezos was a bad person because he is supporting illegal immigrants by giving them money, am I an antisemite?
Now you're just being silly.


Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
You already answered that in the negative because Bezos isn't Jewish. What if I believed that he was? Would it then be antisemitic?
You're actually asking if hating someone for being Jewish is anti-semitic or not. Wow. Just, wow.
You know it doesn't matter if they are or not, right? Yes, of course you do.
Keep digging, though. It's kind of fun to watch, in a weird, train-wrecky sort of way.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 04:28 PM   #89
Airfix
Graduate Poster
 
Airfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,030
He saw the Black Wednesday crash of 1992 coming a mile away, prepared for it and made a fortune.

He became known as the man who broke the Bank of England.
A very astute trader.
Airfix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:54 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.