IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump

Old 1st February 2021, 11:33 AM   #161
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Well, he made a whole lot of people realise just how maligned George W Bush was.

I mean he wasn't exactly a great president, but he was a reasonably moderate normal human being considering.
I imagine war criminal's worshiper would count on Trump making Shrub looking better.

Of course, it is nonsense. Trump being even worse than Bush does not change in the slightest Bush's "achievements", his legacy and judgement of history.
Old 1st February 2021, 11:40 AM   #162
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
I imagine war criminal's worshiper would count on Trump making Shrub looking better.

Of course, it is nonsense. Trump being even worse than Bush does not change in the slightest Bush's "achievements", his legacy and judgement of history.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 11:52 AM   #163
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
He also, by his own account, was the first person ever to use the term "fake news."

Actually, that may be a genuine accomplishment; there have been uncountably many liars in human history, but has there ever been a recursive liar?

Dave
I have reached the conclusion that Trump or his supporters labeling something as "fake news" is a pretty reliable indication that it is true.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 01:49 AM   #164
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I have reached the conclusion that Trump or his supporters labeling something as "fake news" is a pretty reliable indication that it is true.
I disagree. Statements by Trump and his followers simply do not correlate or anticorrelate to reality in any consistent way. Trump has never objected in principle to saying something that is objectively true so long as he perceives it to be beneficial to him to say it.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 07:01 AM   #165
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post

I'm sorry, are you accusing me of being a war criminal's worshipper? Which war criminal, exactly?

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 02:09 PM   #166
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

"Trump is so frustrated by his Twitter ban that's he's writing out insults and asking aides to tweet them"

https://www.businessinsider.com//tru...rt-2021-2?IR=T

That's an accomplishment!
TheSupermeerkat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 03:47 PM   #167
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I guess this is as good a place as any for this:
Quote:
"Who cares!": Trump writes bizarre open letter to resign from SAG-AFTRA before the union boots him

Former president Donald Trump resigned from the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists on Thursday, after the union's National Board voted "overwhelmingly" to convene a disciplinary process that could have resulted in expelling him in response to Trump's part in inciting the Jan. 6 attack on the United States Capitol.

Trump released an open letter to SAG-AFTRA on what appears to be photocopied White House stationery addressed to union president Gabrielle Carteris (of "90210" fame) detailing his immediate resignation. "I write to you today regarding the so-called Disciplinary Committee hearing aimed at revoking my union membership," Trump wrote. "Who cares!"

Trump went on to write that while he was "not very familiar" with the union's work, he was proud of his work on movies and television shows like "'Home Alone 2,' 'Zoolander' and 'Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps'; and television shows including 'The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,' 'Saturday Night Live,' and of course, one of the most successful shows in television history, 'The Apprentice' – to name just a few!"

He also wrote that, due to his involvement in politics, he helped resurrect interest in television, which he characterized as a "dying platform with not much time left."
"[I've] created thousands of jobs at networks such as MSDNC and Fake News CNN, among many others," Trump wrote.

He concluded the letter by saying that he no longer wished to be involved in the union and was tendering his immediate resignation.

On Thursday afternoon, SAG-AFTRA offered a two-word statement, jointly attributed to Carteris and the union's National Executive Director David White, in response to Trump's resignation: "Thank you."

Trump's resignation letter was a response to a Jan. 19 release from SAG-AFTRA, which stated that the organization's National Board had ordered a disciplinary hearing regarding Trump's role in inciting the attack on the U.S. Capitol and "in sustaining a reckless campaign of misinformation aimed at discrediting and ultimately threatening the safety of journalists, many of whom are SAG-AFTRA members."

"Donald Trump attacked the values that this union holds most sacred – democracy, truth, respect for our fellow Americans of all races and faiths, and the sanctity of the free press," Carteris said at the time. "There's a straight line from his wanton disregard for the truth to the attacks on journalists perpetrated by his followers."
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 05:07 PM   #168
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
"Trump is so frustrated by his Twitter ban that's he's writing out insults and asking aides to tweet them"

Here's the MSN version that isn't blocked:
Quote:
Trump has instead "written out insults and observations, several of them about Cheney," and, unable to tweet them himself, "has resorted to suggesting put-downs for others to use or post to their own Twitter," the Daily Beast report said, paraphrasing a source. ...

A group of Trump loyalists moved to remove Cheney from her position as the chair of the House Republican Conference following her impeachment vote. But in a closed-door GOP meeting on Wednesday, the bid failed....
He's blaming Cheney for blocking his move to overturn the certification.

Anyone but himself.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 01:43 PM   #169
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump went on to write that while he was "not very familiar" with the union's work, he was proud of his work on movies and television shows like "'Home Alone 2,' 'Zoolander' and 'Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps';
“Not very familiar”? Pretty much every American movie uses SAG actors. hel-LO, McFly! - the actors in the movies you appeared in are union members.

At first I thought that was stupidity of the first water. Then I realized that Trump most likely never watched those movies. Or any movies in their entirety. How absurd to think that Trump could spend 90 minutes listening to other people.

Last edited by Ladewig; 5th February 2021 at 01:44 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 02:00 PM   #170
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Trump went on to write that while he was "not very familiar" with the union's work, he was proud of his work on movies and television shows like "'Home Alone 2,' 'Zoolander' and 'Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps';
“Not very familiar”? Pretty much every American movie uses SAG actors. hel-LO, McFly! - the actors in the movies you appeared in are union members.

At first I thought that was stupidity of the first water. Then I realized that Trump most likely never watched those movies. Or any movies in their entirety. How absurd to think that Trump could spend 90 minutes listening to other people.
He only watched clips of himself and then raged about the Oscars being rigged against him.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 02:00 PM   #171
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump isn't the least bit embarrassed to cite bit parts worthy of an extra as movie credits.
Old 5th February 2021, 04:57 PM   #172
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump is so deranged and self-absorbed that he would demand an Oscar for his appearance in the mirror each morning.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2021, 05:56 PM   #173
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Trump is so deranged and self-absorbed that he would demand an Oscar for his appearance in the mirror each morning.
Nommed!
Old 6th February 2021, 02:44 AM   #174
SteveAitch
Thinker

Following on from the SAG kerfuffle, there seems to be something going on with Costco.

Is this real or a spoof?
Old 6th February 2021, 05:23 AM   #175
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SteveAitch View Post
Following on from the SAG kerfuffle, there seems to be something going on with Costco.

Is this real or a spoof?
Very likely spoof. It has spelling and punctuation correct, and there's a (sort of) flow of logic to it. So even if genuine, it's not T****'s fair hand.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2021, 11:07 AM   #176
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I can't be the only liberal wishing they'd let him tweet, just for the lulz!
Old 6th February 2021, 05:25 PM   #177
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Before I looked it up I voted false, no way does Trump have a Costco membership.

Aaaannnd, fake is the right answer.

Snopes—it is false
Old 6th February 2021, 06:17 PM   #178
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I figured it was false. He's never set foot in a Costco.
Old 6th February 2021, 07:22 PM   #179
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I figured it was false. He's never set foot in a Costco.
"only loosers try to save money" says putz putting catsup on his steak...
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2021, 10:35 AM   #180
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

A Trump accomplishment that is perversely positive: Fox News Channel has plummeted to third place in the cable ratings, behind CNN and MSNBC.
Old 11th February 2021, 03:10 PM   #181
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Someone with heart disease should be careful about getting so upset. Hee hee hee.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2021, 03:25 PM   #182
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Did we ever figure out what wars Obama started? I only ask because it's a question of whether not starting wars was a Trump accomplishment or yet another Obama trend that he built on.
Old 11th February 2021, 04:11 PM   #183
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Did we ever figure out what wars Obama started? I only ask because it's a question of whether not starting wars was a Trump accomplishment or yet another Obama trend that he built on.
All of them, but most especially The War On Christmas.
Old 12th February 2021, 09:12 AM   #184
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Primarily Libya, he also supported the Saudi adventure in Yemen.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2021, 09:19 AM   #185
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Quote:
Primarily Libya, he also supported the Saudi adventure in Yemen.
You could also claim the war against ISIS.

Of course, I think its a bit unfair to assign blame to Obama for any of those. The U.S. response in Libya was due to a civil war that the U.S. did not initiate (so Obama did not 'start' the war, just engaged in an existing conflict, largely for humanitarian reasons), and ISIS came up in part because of instabilities initiated under Bush.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2021, 06:20 PM   #186
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
You could also claim the war against ISIS.

Of course, I think its a bit unfair to assign blame to Obama for any of those. The U.S. response in Libya was due to a civil war that the U.S. did not initiate (so Obama did not 'start' the war, just engaged in an existing conflict, largely for humanitarian reasons), and ISIS came up in part because of instabilities initiated under Bush.
More specifically, Libya was a NATO effort that was largely meant to avoid another refugee crisis, along with the usual regional hatreds Once Qadafi threatened to level Benghazi entirely

(Yes, I know, but he did)

The entire thing was pretty much an emergency move.

And yeah on ISIS. TThe whole "Obama started so many warz!!!" thing was generally "Okay, we've been asked to strike ISIS in these countries, to intervene in this emergency, and so forth." It was mostly people who insisted, despite what Obama himself said, that he was "against wars", and then were clearly unconcerned with what a war actually is. Which is why they stopped screaming about drones as soon as Obama left, despite Dolt 45 ramping up drone strikes and decreasing transparency.

(This is not to say that I have no problems with how drones are used by both the military and the CIA - it's something that should ideally be addressed and restricted by congress, rather than left to the president to decide higgly-piggly, but since the GOP congressfolk have been worthless for anything apart from scamming and bigotry since Obama was inaugurated, here we are.)
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2021, 06:59 PM   #187
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

He correctly predicted that if Biden won my 401K would be worthless!

Because I moved it all into an IRA, which has done very well since November.
Old 17th February 2021, 08:55 AM   #188
Egg
Graduate Poster

There's a narrative knocking around that Trump's popularity does highlight something in US politics/society that is not getting addressed and needs to be. It takes a generous reading of some of his support because it's hard to get away from the post-Obama race backlash, which in one way or another accounts for much of his popularity.

However there may be something in the anti-elite, tearing-down-the-institutions populism that may be addressing something important (even if he just replaced many of these things with lobbyists with their own big business agendas). The obvious answer would seem to me to be the growing economic inequalities (and in the case of Trump's support, largely putting the blame in the wrong places). But maybe that's missing something or only a part of the issue.

Does anyone have any insights on why Trump was perceived to be some kind of solution and a solution to what? And did he take us any closer to those things?

"That's the thing with eggs: It's all about chicks and getting laid." - Wuschel
"A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg" - Samuel Butler
“When arguing with a stone an egg is always wrong” - African proverb
“A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked” - Bernard Meltzer
Egg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 09:26 AM   #189
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
More specifically, Libya was a NATO effort that was largely meant to avoid another refugee crisis
It failed in that respect. And frankly in pretty much every respect.

But worst of all, it was a strategic blunder of monumental proportions, whose consequences will be felt for decades, though rarely acknowledged. Quadafi had done what we most wanted him to do: give up his WMD program. And what did we do? We toppled him. The message that sent to every other dictator on the planet is to never, ever, EVER give up a WMD program, because that will be your downfall. The American public might not be paying attention to that message, but I guarantee that North Korea and Iran heard it loud and clear.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 09:54 AM   #190
Egg
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Veering way off topic, but it was a no-good-options situation with European NATO allies planning to go in with or without the the US. Hard to say if not getting involved would have been any better.

But worst of all, it was a strategic blunder of monumental proportions, whose consequences will be felt for decades, though rarely acknowledged. Quadafi had done what we most wanted him to do: give up his WMD program. And what did we do? We toppled him. The message that sent to every other dictator on the planet is to never, ever, EVER give up a WMD program, because that will be your downfall. The American public might not be paying attention to that message, but I guarantee that North Korea and Iran heard it loud and clear.
I do, however, agree with this assessment.

"That's the thing with eggs: It's all about chicks and getting laid." - Wuschel
"A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg" - Samuel Butler
“When arguing with a stone an egg is always wrong” - African proverb
“A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked” - Bernard Meltzer
Egg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 10:33 AM   #191
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Which is why Iran never signed the JCPOA.

Wait...
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 10:37 AM   #192
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Which is why Iran never signed the JCPOA.

Wait...
It's funny that you think the JCPOA actually disbanded Iran's nuclear weapons program.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 10:58 AM   #193
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

It's funny that you think the JCPOA actually disbanded Iran's nuclear weapons program.
It in effect suspended it.

Which goes against your assessment pretty completely. They did agree to give up a WMD program for 15 years at least. Oh well, some idiot trashed the good agreement. Accomplishment?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 11:05 AM   #194
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump correctly predicted that if Biden was elected my 401K would be worth nothing! He was totally right!
Because I put it all in an IRA which is doing great.
Old 17th February 2021, 11:11 AM   #195
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

It in effect suspended it.
Only partly.

Quote:
Which goes against your assessment pretty completely.
No, it doesn't.

Quote:
They did agree to give up a WMD program for 15 years at least.
By your own admission, they didn't even agree to that. They gave up nothing.

Quote:
Oh well, some idiot trashed the good agreement. Accomplishment?
Good agreement? Wow, that's naive.
Old 17th February 2021, 11:18 AM   #196
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Only partly.

No, it doesn't.

By your own admission, they didn't even agree to that. They gave up nothing.

Good agreement? Wow, that's naive.

They gave up the needed components of their nuclear weapon program, so they gave up the program. For fifteen years. Libya gave theirs up in 2003. Iran agreed to give up their capacity for nuclear weapons for longer than Gaddafi (to be fair to him, it was only so short because he was killed).

Yeah, it was a good agreement. Maybe it would have been better without Libya and especially Ukraine, but it was good. But yes, brown man bad, so deal bad. Which means you think it was an accomplishment to drop it.

Oh no, you think I'm naive. How will I live.
Old 17th February 2021, 11:24 AM   #197
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

They gave up the needed components of their nuclear weapon program
No, they did not.

Quote:
Yeah, it was a good agreement.
Which is why the Obama administration had to lie about it in order to sell it.

Quote:
Maybe it would have been better without Libya and especially Ukraine, but it was good. But yes, brown man bad, so deal bad.
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.

Last edited by zooterkin; 20th February 2021 at 07:22 AM.
Old 17th February 2021, 11:31 AM   #198
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

No, they did not.

Which is why the Obama administration had to lie about it in order to sell it.

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.
Yes they did, , and no accusation of racism. It was just mockery of the tired GOP handwave that people only object to things Trump did because 'Orange man bad'.

Last edited by zooterkin; 20th February 2021 at 07:22 AM.
Old 19th February 2021, 02:22 PM   #199
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

There is some talk about Trump running as a Representative for his District in Florida in 2022. I didn't give it much thought but I noticed the United Spot guys did a youtube video about this exact same scenario.

As a member of the House, if Republicans take it in 2022, he could be elected Speaker, impeach Biden and Harris then as Speaker, return to being President until 2024. And legally run for President again in 2024.

Hmmm....

Last edited by ChrisBFRPKY; 19th February 2021 at 02:23 PM. Reason: sp
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 02:37 PM   #200
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
There is some talk about Trump running as a Representative for his District in Florida in 2022. I didn't give it much thought but I noticed the United Spot guys did a youtube video about this exact same scenario.

As a member of the House, if Republicans take it in 2022, he could be elected Speaker, impeach Biden and Harris then as Speaker, return to being President until 2024. And legally run for President again in 2024.

Hmmm....

Fun fact 1: the Speaker of the House doesn't have to be an elected member of the House.
Fun fact 2: impeachment isn't enough, you also need a 2/3 rd conviction in the Senate.

Other than that, good and credible plan.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics