IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags browsers

Old 26th August 2020, 10:11 AM   #1
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Why do browsers sometimes load pages twice?

You know that thing when you open a new web page, and it'll load completely, only for the screen to go white and the loading to seemingly start anew from scratch, and only when it's done can you start navigating the web site? Ie. the website seems to need to load twice before?

I've had this happen a lot recently, and it happens both on my phone and laptop, so I assume it's the way the web site itself is programmed and not a problem with my particular device. So why does this happen?
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2020, 10:20 AM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Could you give an example of a site that behaves this way for you?

My guess is, the site has a basic set of content that it starts loading by default, plus a number rules for variations of content and formatting to be loaded if certain conditions are met (certain cookies are present/not present; ad blocker on/off; the browser is in/out of a certain region; etc.).

So the server starts loading the default content and formatting, then discovers some other condition has been met, and starts reloading according to those conditions.

I suppose another possibility is some form of network weirdness, that allows a partial load and then reconnects, triggering a reload.

Or a partial load of a cached version of the content to be quicker, followed by a reload as the server realizes the cache is out of date.

The overall theme of these explanations is that there's an ideal setup where the server figures out all the conditional rules, cache freshness, etc. before it needs to reply to the browser. And what's causing the reload is some sort of lag in the server, between when it has to start loading the content and when it actually figures out what content to load.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2020, 12:37 PM   #3
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

As theprestige suggests I suspect it will be because it is using its cache of the page and then is informed it's out of date. With a good enough connection speed and a fast enough server you'd probably not notice it. However the way some sites, especially it seems "news" sites load their pages with video snips, interactive ads and so on any reload of the page is going to be noticeable. I've noticed some sites seem to need a complete reload even if you'd only opened it a few moments ago, probably to update the ads.

One of the worse offenders I've seen is the CNN site.

Last edited by Darat; 26th August 2020 at 12:38 PM. Reason: no I wouldnt miss one
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2020, 01:00 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think a lot of news media companies see digital as superior to print because it gives them a lot more control over what content they can force on you.

A newspaper or magazine, you can just flip to the actual stories, and there's no autoplaying video following you from page to page.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 12:18 AM   #5
Dude111
Critical Thinker

I have noticed that sometimes also on IE6 (MyIE2) so it doesnt matter the browser,we all have it happen...... (Must be ads or something causing the page to re-load??)
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet