IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 19th February 2021, 01:23 PM   #121
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
82 yrs on this earth and never ran across any like on this group, and kinda wondering what happened to the mold you all came from, hope it's been broken and burned...

My dad was a skeptic to some degree, BUT, you all take the cake.
Um...yeah. Its actually a *checks notes* skeptics forum, as noted by Foster Zygote and...others who read words.

Regarding the title Lovers of The New High Tech Vaccines, who do you think loves them? I don't particularly love Advil or water, either. Its just stuff that keeps us working better than without. We have been pretty down with inoculation principles for like centuries, now. If the body could easily ward off all disease, we should have scores of immortals running around, yes?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 01:28 PM   #122
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Um...yeah. Its actually a *checks notes* skeptics forum, as noted by Foster Zygote and...others who read words.

Regarding the title Lovers of The New High Tech Vaccines, who do you think loves them? I don't particularly love Advil or water, either. Its just stuff that keeps us working better than without. We have been pretty down with inoculation principles for like centuries, now. If the body could easily ward off all disease, we should have scores of immortals running around, yes?
I think it's similar to loving grape seed extract. Just a different manufacturer.
Old 19th February 2021, 01:36 PM   #123
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

All those mentions of "in all my 82 years!" "82 years old! Almost 83!"- yikes, a new wrinkle on the "argument from authority" fallacy, an "argument from my authority 'cuz I'm old!" fallacy. (I know it's Caroline, not Charles, but I've started hearing her posts in an Abe Simpson voice. And she did actually write one that boiled down to "Sehhkkkkks? I had sehhhkkkks!")

Well, it's new to me, which is to say...

...in all my 64 years of age!

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; 19th February 2021 at 01:37 PM.
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 01:40 PM   #124
Axxman300
Illuminator

At Valley Forge, George Washington used a crude method to vaccinate the Continental Army against Small Pox. The concept of vaccination evolved, as all medical science did, from folk remedies. All science has done is refine the functional mechanics and cut away the useless bits.

What a vaccine does is help one's body fight off a SPECIFIC VIRUS without altering the immune system. The human body builds resistance against viruses and germs over time naturally, but not all viruses are created equal, so the immune system needs help. Hence vaccines. The supplement/snake oil industry loves to hype the phrase: "Boost Your Immune System", which is medically unsound. There is a title for a "boosted" immune system: Autoimmune Disease", of which there are over 100, and many like Leukemia will kill you.

https://www.aarda.org/diseaselist/

I doubt grape seed works on any of these.
Old 19th February 2021, 01:44 PM   #125
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Deputy Admin

Mod WarningKeep it civil, please.
Posted By:Agatha
Old 19th February 2021, 01:44 PM   #126
Lrrr
Stealth Hug Ninja

The reason for the flu pandemic we are going thru is it's a bad flu that has been BLOWN SO OUT by mostly left wing world. All planned and designed and here we are.
This tells me all I need to know about this individual. People who believe that COVID is just a bad flu are too delusional to be reasoned with. And to say it has been blown out of proportion by the left wing world is laughable. To paraphrase a former right wing president, STOP POLITICIZING IT. Sad.
Old 19th February 2021, 01:46 PM   #127
Lrrr
Stealth Hug Ninja

I said it's a LEFT WING FLU, read my words.

And have FUN playing with yourselves the rest of the day, I won't be your playmate.
The virus is neither influenza nor does it belong to a political party. You are so wrong that correct cannot be seen with a telescope.
Old 19th February 2021, 02:52 PM   #128
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I think she may be conflating 'skepticism' with 'cynicism'.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 04:22 PM   #129
TheSupermeerkat
Graduate Poster

82 yrs on this earth
You said 84 years in another thread. Which is it? If you're going to pretend to be someone darling, get your facts straight.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 04:24 PM   #130
TheSupermeerkat
Graduate Poster

I won't be your playmate.
You already are and you don't know it.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 05:28 PM   #131
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
^ Can't argue with that in the slightest, PJ. I just wasn't wanting to make any more absolutist claims that go beyond (my memory) of Townsend and the Black Report or any of the other work on the role of inequality in health outcomes, like Brown and Harris on depression.
To be clear, I really wasn't disagreeing with you either, I just felt you were being too reticent, albeit for the right reasons.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 05:33 PM   #132
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I think it's similar to loving grape seed extract. Just a different manufacturer.
And a better chance of working.

P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 05:36 PM   #133
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
All those mentions of "in all my 82 years!" "82 years old! Almost 83!"- yikes, a new wrinkle on the "argument from authority" fallacy, an "argument from my authority 'cuz I'm old!" fallacy. (I know it's Caroline, not Charles, but I've started hearing her posts in an Abe Simpson voice. And she did actually write one that boiled down to "Sehhkkkkks? I had sehhhkkkks!")

Well, it's new to me, which is to say...

...in all my 64 years of age!
You know the saying "There's no fool like an old fool"

Speaking as a slip of an (almost) fifty year old

Old 19th February 2021, 06:52 PM   #134
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
You know the saying "There's no fool like an old fool"

Speaking as a slip of an (almost) fifty year old
Whippersnapper! We (almost) fifty-one year olds would appreciate you getting off our lawns.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 06:52 PM   #135
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
And a better chance of working.
That too,
Old 19th February 2021, 11:06 PM   #136
Modified
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Whippersnapper! We (almost) fifty-one year olds would appreciate you getting off our lawns.

Us almost fifty-two year olds think your music is just noise.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2021, 02:36 AM   #137
malbui
Beauf

Deleted.

Last edited by malbui; 20th February 2021 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Missed a new post.
malbui is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2021, 05:13 AM   #138
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
Us almost fifty-two year olds think your music is just noise.
Quite a bit of this 62 year old's music IS noise...[runs off to put on Metal Machine Music]. You young 'uns just don't know what noise is!
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2021, 05:28 AM   #139
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Of course not, no medical degree, and allopathic MD's are selling legal drugs.

I don't follow stats, I trust more true life incidents, and I think many call them anecidotal, and I believe in my gut my son in law would be alive had he gotten on Grape Seed Ex yrs ago when I first presented it to him, as I got on it as we were told "Could Prevent Cancers"..and he died of lung cancer at 55, an early kid smoker but had he been taking the Grape Seed Ex even with his damaged lungs, he may still be alive.

I come from this angle in many areas of my life.
That's interesting. Here's a similar true life incident that I can relate to you. My mother researched and implemented alternative medicine in her life for as long as I can remember. This ranges from herbal medicine to aromatherapy, Bach flower remedies, studying therapeutic massage, undergoing cleanses, and chiropractic, with a focus on holistic medicine. She was careful about her diet and the source of her food. The idea was to treat the whole body, the whole person, to prevent disease, and when a problem had already occurred to understand it's root cause (some form of imbalance, usually), rather than simply treating symptoms, as she viewed "allopathic medicine" to be doing.

She died of pancreatic cancer when she was 50.

ETA It's probably worth mentioning that my mother also used grape seed extract. I don't remember exactly, but I think she'd put some drops in water and drink it? It's been a long time. I don't think she started with the grape seed extract until around 5 years or so before her death.
My siblings and I were also given the same stuff by the way. I remember she used to grow wheatgrass and then we'd drink the juice. I actually liked that, though my siblings didn't. I could tell some more stories about how this relates to me, but I love my mother and it would feel like I'm speaking ill of her.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov

Last edited by Roboramma; 20th February 2021 at 05:41 AM.
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2021, 06:19 AM   #140
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lrrr View Post
The virus is neither influenza nor does it belong to a political party.

Are you sure about the latter? The White House seemed to be full of it when the president was a Republican.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2021, 06:47 AM   #141
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Mod WarningThread closed. You may quote any post from this thread and continue any discussion in the general Covid Conspiracy Thread.
Posted By:zooterkin
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories