IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conjuror's Corner

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Dynamo , Steven Frayne

Old 3rd November 2012, 04:30 PM   #1
PeaceCrusader
Banned

Dynamo Magician Impossible

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

See also Dynamo walking on water – Full Video HD
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by PeaceCrusader; 3rd November 2012 at 04:48 PM.
PeaceCrusader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2012, 04:51 PM   #2
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by PeaceCrusader View Post
I AGREE

I AGREE

It would seem even the "Dynamo Magician" youtube video links are impossible.
Old 3rd November 2012, 04:55 PM   #3
fromdownunder
Philosopher

I AGREE

I AGREE
...and? Apart from non link links, do you have any sort of a point here, or should this belong in the Entertainment sub-forum?

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2012, 04:59 PM   #4
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

He's an English magician. Here's some sort of TV special that I think the OP was referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6q1axudGIY

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2012, 05:08 PM   #5
PeaceCrusader
Banned

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
He's an English magician. Here's some sort of TV special that I think the OP was referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6q1axudGIY
Thank you, Loss Leader. I do not know how that JREF notice is posted that goes to the youtube video.
PeaceCrusader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2012, 05:13 PM   #6
fromdownunder
Philosopher

You still have not explained what this thread is supposed to be about, apart from it being a link to a magician.

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
You still have not explained what this thread is supposed to be about, apart from it being a link to a magician.

Norm
...I think iit is supposed to demonstrate that a 6'8" man would not have crushed a 4-month-old burro...
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Administrator

He does tricks and illusions, PC. He is not performing magic in the sense of the supernatural or paranormal. When he walked on water on the Thames, he had previously (off camera) set up a walkway so that he was walking on that, not the water. It's not really magic.

(I know a little bit about him as he has Crohn's disease, like me, and he recently gave an interview to the National Assoc. of Crohn's and Colitis newsletter.)
Old 3rd November 2012, 06:58 PM   #9
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

Here's somebody who says he's figured out how Dynamo does the lifting thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j86AMdV9tfI

Last edited by Elizabeth I; 3rd November 2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Edited to correct name
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2012, 07:30 PM   #10
Stray Cat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
Here's somebody who says he's figured out how Dynamo does the lifting thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j86AMdV9tfI
Yeah.... "blocking the signal"... that'll be it.

I don't like Dynamo at all... He doesn't come across as someone I'd get along with.
Old 4th November 2012, 10:14 AM   #11
LandR
Graduate Poster

I don't know what is going on here.

I'm not a fan of Dynamo though.
LandR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2012, 12:37 PM   #12
Whingeing Pom

Thank you, Loss Leader. I do not know how that JREF notice is posted that goes to the youtube video.
It is supposed to look like this...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

...but the video has been blocked in the UK.
Old 4th November 2012, 08:08 PM   #13
Nowhere Man
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
Can we put a name to this 6'8'' man?
Steven Frayne, stage name Dynamo.

Fred

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
-- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684
Nowhere Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2012, 07:31 AM   #14
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

If Dynamo is using real magical power, he's doing things the hard way. Many of the tricks he does in the linked special were revealed in the "Breaking the Magician's Code" series.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2012, 06:49 PM   #15
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Claim to (minor)fame I knew Dynamo when he was 13 onwards,we frequented same magic store.
FYI he was rubbish even then. Ever wonder with all the people filming him(at Rio statue for example) on mobile phones etc. ,why there is no footage on YouTube or on line anywhere of him levitating?!
*strokes chin*
Old 11th November 2012, 01:49 AM   #16
Stomatopoda
Muse

I'm kind of... impressed. This is a whole new level of gullibility.
Stomatopoda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2012, 02:32 PM   #17
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™

Mod WarningI split a bunch of posts to Abandon All Hope. This sub-forum is Conjuror's Corner, not the Religion & Philosophy sub-forum. Please keep things on topic for this sub-forum. Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation.
Responding to this modbox in thread will be off topic Posted By:LashL
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2012, 02:40 AM   #18
robcasey
Scholar

This guy is amazing
robcasey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2012, 04:33 AM   #19
PeaceCrusader
Banned

I saw on TV this week that Dynamo is being shown in Australia, Channel 7, Wednesday, 8:30-9:30pm. I do not know when the first showing was.
Old 16th November 2012, 04:02 AM   #20
Azrael 5
Philosopher

I saw on TV this week that Dynamo is being shown in Australia, Channel 7, Wednesday, 8:30-9:30pm. I do not know when the first showing was.
Well UK got Neighbours so its only fair they get payback.
Old 10th December 2012, 10:41 PM   #21
PeaceCrusader
Banned

Dynamo: Magician Impossible will be shown this Wednesday, 2012-12-12, 7:30-8:30pm, on Channel 7 in Australia.
Old 11th December 2012, 12:02 AM   #22
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Let me guess. This Dynamo guy is actually a prophet?
Old 11th December 2012, 12:03 AM   #23
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Too bad it clashes with the cricket. Hhhmmm, Dynamo or cricket? A real no brainer.

Norm
Old 11th December 2012, 12:36 AM   #24
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Please stop this. As has been pointed out numerous times, there is no need to add your own date nomenclature to each of your posts.

Dynamo: Magician Impossible will be shown this Wednesday, 2012-12-12, 7:30-8:30pm, on Channel 7 in Australia.
Let me ask you honestly, PC--do you understand Dynamo is doing tricks, not actual magic? Or are you still watching thinking something like, "Well, if Dynamo can do this, Jesus certainly could!"?

If so, do you understand how silly that is?

Last edited by AdMan; 11th December 2012 at 12:37 AM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2012, 08:49 PM   #25
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Too bad it clashes with the cricket. Hhhmmm, Dynamo or cricket? A real no brainer.

Norm
I'd probably go that way myself, fromdownunder, and I've never watched cricket.

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
...Or are you still watching thinking something like, "Well, if Dynamo can do this, Jesus certainly could!"?

If so, do you understand how silly that is?
Meh… but was he or could he be (Jesus or heck, even Dynamo) a top notch bowler? Now that might be something to watch.
Old 4th January 2013, 05:14 AM   #26
PeaceCrusader
Banned

It seems that Dynamo: Magician Impossible is now a regular feature of Channel 7 in Australia. I just watched last Wednesday, 2013-01-02, from 7:30-8:30pm. I am amazed at how he does his magic, so do people, like the sounding of a horn behind several people, or his disappearing and just leaving his attire, or his passing through a glass panel.
Old 4th January 2013, 05:33 AM   #27
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

My neighbour thinks he is the best thing ever. He seems to think he doesn't use any of the usual magicians methods or any kind of editing in his shows, it's all recorded 'live' in the street with 'real' people so he can't be usng 'trickery'
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2013, 11:51 PM   #28
pakeha
Penultimate Amazing

Does your neighbour also buy those products 'as advertised on TV'?
pakeha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2013, 04:44 PM   #29
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I've only seen one special of his. I'd heard lots about how amazing he was, so decided to watch for myself. In the whole 1 hour special I saw only 1 trick that I didn't already know how it was done. And I'm not exactly knowledgeable about magic. My step-mum saw one of his tricks and just said "that's stupid" and explained how it's done. She knows less than nothing about magic.

The one trick that I didn't know the methodology for was easily explained by editing and stooges. I don't know if that's the correct solution but, judging by the rest of his tricks, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Really not impressed.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2013, 07:32 PM   #30
Navigator
Philosopher

Yes - Dynamo's TV series is also airing in my country.

The thing that annoys me is that this kind of thing really only promotes wooism.
There no such thing as 'real magic' as I have seen some express in this thread. That kind of expression too, can definitely encourage wooism.

Atheism is not skepticism

Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors. ~ ISF disclaimer
Navigator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2013, 11:10 AM   #31
Max_mang
Muse

Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
Yes - Dynamo's TV series is also airing in my country.

The thing that annoys me is that this kind of thing really only promotes wooism.
There no such thing as 'real magic' as I have seen some express in this thread. That kind of expression too, can definitely encourage wooism.
I haven't seen Dynamo's tv shows. Is he trying to pass himself off as doing 'real' magic and/or being some kind of prophet? Or is he just a magician like David Copperfield, David Blaine, etc?
Max_mang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2013, 12:29 PM   #32
HighRiser
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Max_mang View Post
I haven't seen Dynamo's tv shows. Is he trying to pass himself off as doing 'real' magic and/or being some kind of prophet? Or is he just a magician like David Copperfield, David Blaine, etc?
He sure made Peace Crusader think it was real magic. If Dynamo could fool PC, Dynamo could surely fool just about anyone. (For limited values of anyone.)

Science is not hopelessly hobbled just because it knows the difference between fact and imagination. -JayUtah
HighRiser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2013, 02:51 PM   #33
Navigator
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Max_mang View Post
A magician who is not trying to pass himself off as doing real magic, is not really applying the showman side of that occupation and would be better focusing on his/her day job as the main generator of $ and make magic tricks a hobby.

Dynamo - as he presents, is no doubt the most amazing Magician I have ever seen on the TV.
Some of his tricks are mind boggling - so much that my mind could easily fall into thinking woo-woo thoughts as to how he actually accomplishes some of those illusions - lucky though I am in control of my minds urge to wander down that particular path, and I simply tell myself that he must have more $ than he looks to have to pay all those actors, plus film crew and everything else to do with travelling, rubbing shoulders with the Rich and Famous, bills and hotels as well as having Crones disease (as I read in this thread and am taking that at face value).

So yes, Dynamo does indeed present his magic as being 'real' in the sense that he uses expressions and body language to give that impression to those he is playing tricks on.

He leaves people astounded and perplexed and sometimes making wooish comment regarding the 'powers' they have just witnessed.

That is what Magicians do.

That is why I made my comments regarding how Magicians are not really helping the cause to eradicate wooism from Human Consciousness.

Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors. ~ ISF disclaimer
Navigator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2013, 12:00 AM   #34
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

A magician who is not trying to pass himself off as doing real magic, is not really applying the showman side of that occupation and would be better focusing on his/her day job as the main generator of $ and make magic tricks a hobby.
You should tell that to Penn & Teller. I can imagine what their response would be.
Old 11th July 2013, 12:15 AM   #35
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Dynamo - as he presents, is no doubt the most amazing Magician I have ever seen on the TV.
Some of his tricks are mind boggling - so much that my mind could easily fall into thinking woo-woo thoughts as to how he actually accomplishes some of those illusions - lucky though I am in control of my minds urge to wander down that particular path, and I simply tell myself that he must have more $ than he looks to have to pay all those actors, plus film crew and everything else to do with travelling, rubbing shoulders with the Rich and Famous, bills and hotels as well as having Crones disease (as I read in this thread and am taking that at face value).

So yes, Dynamo does indeed present his magic as being 'real' in the sense that he uses expressions and body language to give that impression to those he is playing tricks on.

He leaves people astounded and perplexed and sometimes making wooish comment regarding the 'powers' they have just witnessed.

That is why I made my comments regarding how Magicians are not really helping the cause to eradicate wooism from Human Consciousness.
How do you feel about special effects in movies? Or movies about ghosts and poltergeists?

We like to be entertained by fantasy. I think most know what's going on. When I saw King Kong, I didn't really believe there was a giant ape on film, nor did I think Close Encounters of the Third Kind was a documentary. Hard to believe the public is as gullible as you seem to suggest.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2013, 04:21 AM   #36
Alan
Illuminator

There are many ways to present magic, most of them performed with the expectation that people won't really believe it. Good showpersonship exceeds the narrow range you seem to think it should be restricted to.
Alan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2013, 10:26 AM   #37
Navigator
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
You should tell that to Penn & Teller. I can imagine what their response would be.
They found a nitch...but I have seen them do science and that is a hoot.

Old 11th July 2013, 10:29 AM   #38
Navigator
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
How do you feel about special effects in movies? Or movies about ghosts and poltergeists?

We like to be entertained by fantasy. I think most know what's going on. When I saw King Kong, I didn't really believe there was a giant ape on film, nor did I think Close Encounters of the Third Kind was a documentary. Hard to believe the public is as gullible as you seem to suggest.
When it comes to Magicians, the more realistic they are, the more believable they are.
Just like with special effects.

Some people are more gullible - especially as children.

Old 11th July 2013, 10:37 AM   #39
Navigator
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Alan View Post
There are many ways to present magic, most of them performed with the expectation that people won't really believe it. Good showpersonship exceeds the narrow range you seem to think it should be restricted to.
Well I have only been focused on this for a short while, and I might be confusing the intent of Magic or not.

As far as entertainment goes, it is feeding a need which may itself be an illusion.

Like movies do.

Old 11th July 2013, 04:37 PM   #40
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

When it comes to Magicians, the more realistic they are, the more believable they are.
Just like with special effects.

Some people are more gullible - especially as children.
I've heard a lot of stories from other magicians about people shrieking in fear, or running away, or accusing them of being Satanic minions - so I agree, some people do "believe" it's real. But they are good stories because they are rare, not because they are the norm. The few effects I've done that could have been real or not (like shoving a needle through your arm) didn't require any supernatural explanations, even it it wasn't accomplished by trickery.

The norm is a bit of awe, a bit of amazement and a lot of delight.

Can magic serve the woomeister? Sure. Uri Geller comes to mind. But he purposely stayed away from other types of tricks that would have shown him out as a magician.

Last edited by marplots; 11th July 2013 at 04:41 PM.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conjuror's Corner