IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conjuror's Corner

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags camera tricks , criss angel

Old 4th November 2013, 10:06 PM   #1
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

'Splain this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=i5gK2MxGR0M
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2013, 10:25 PM   #2
911KookDetector
Thinker

LMAO. David Blaine has always been way cooler than this tool.
But just checking...
That was fake. Right?....
Old 4th November 2013, 10:56 PM   #3
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect Angel does a lot of editing with his stuff before it's published.
The people around the stunt are paid to be there and react.
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2013, 06:26 AM   #4
Bob Klase
Master Poster

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
The explanation for that is not entirely different than the explanation for this incredible levitation
Bob Klase is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2013, 06:47 AM   #5
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I have no idea! (Well I do have some idea ).

But it was very well done.
Old 5th November 2013, 02:09 PM   #6
Pup
Philosopher

Well, I'm glad to see he's finally learning how to put 'em back together, and not just leaving them in bits and pieces to crawl around, fending for themselves like Johnny Eck, the way he used to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmtFGSHFcbs
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2013, 09:08 PM   #7
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by 911KookDetector View Post
LMAO. David Blaine has always been way cooler than this tool.
But just checking...
Agreed, I just saw his [Blaine] recent special and it came off as really genuine [as genuine as trickery gets] the reactions were natural, angel has ceased trying and sticks to stooges and camera tricks.
Old 20th November 2013, 07:37 AM   #8
PGH
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
Agreed, I just saw his [Blaine] recent special and it came off as really genuine [as genuine as trickery gets] the reactions were natural, angel has ceased trying and sticks to stooges and camera tricks.
I watched that last night too. It was quite interesting.

Are we allowed to discuss details of it here or is that considered giving away secrets? I know there are rules when it comes to the magicians section and I don't want to say anything I shouldn't.
PGH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2013, 04:34 PM   #9
s4zando
Graduate Poster

IRT Blaine's special, I thought it was well done, and I enjoyed his effects immensely. I remember thinking though, right around the Harrison Ford effect:

::All this criticism these guys receive for using paid actors and stooges...well, let's just go for broke and make it so over-the-top obvious we are using actors that the audience will never see it coming!::
s4zando is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2013, 06:34 PM   #10
halohms
Thinker

So does that needle have to be really smooth and with a extremely sharp point to go through the soft flesh to not bleed externally?
halohms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2013, 06:06 PM   #11
chainlink
Scholar

A question for moderators: is mentioning (obvious) video editing bloopers considered to be "exposing" a magic trick?

At least to me, it doesn't seem like there are any real secrets to camera tricks. Especially when it's such blatant in-your-face editing. I would have been much more impressed if the trick had used one continuous video shot, which to me would have made it much more realistic (and yes, the trick could have been done that way -- but might have required considerable practice beforehand). I hated the way the video cuts back and forth between cameras every few seconds -- as the sun's shadows vary from early-afternoon to late-evening (and back again) in a span of three minutes.

And what's the deal with filming the audience? If you were there and a person was being cut in half right in front of you, would you really turn around, and start filming the audience instead of the main event? (I know, every 'live' show these days throws in the obligatory (often stock) audience shots, but I still hate the practice)

I also thought it would have been a better setup if *all* parties wore a wig, hat, and sunglasses - and even heavy makeup. (some people possess keen facial recognition, one of the biggest potential 'spoilers' of these kinds of tricks).

I'm sorry, but the effect just didn't 'work' on me at all. I saw through it much too easily - and that's without even having to replay it. But unlike watching a well-performed sleight-of-hand trick that I know (and can appreciate the skillful execution of) this was more like the "roll-your-eyes-and groan" variety of 'camera' magic.

Honestly, I might as well watch a mentalist who employs stooges.

Last edited by chainlink; 24th November 2013 at 06:07 PM.
chainlink is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2013, 01:46 PM   #12
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
I haven't seen Blaine's most recent special, and the rules forbid me from getting into specifics, but Blaine has used camera and editing tricks in past shows.
Old 28th December 2013, 02:49 PM   #13
barehl
Master Poster

I'm confused. What is it that you want me to explain? If you can tell me where you saw something out of the ordinary then I can tell you what happened.
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2013, 03:00 PM   #14
barehl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by 911KookDetector View Post
But just checking...
No, the amputees were real. Or are you asking if the switching back and forth between regular people and amputee doubles was fake? The switching part was not done in front of a real audience so this is not a magic trick.
barehl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2013, 09:49 PM   #15
Iamme
Philosopher

Since hearing stuff like plants/shills are used and camera tricks and editting, i wouldnt even watch such garbage anymore. It makes us out like we are dopes. Its like the show is stealing from us. Stealing our time.
I consider magic as the skill of hand, and/or on-stage illusion, live, as you see it.
Old 30th December 2013, 09:01 AM   #16
Max_mang
Muse

Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
Since hearing stuff like plants/shills are used and camera tricks and editting, i wouldnt even watch such garbage anymore. It makes us out like we are dopes. Its like the show is stealing from us. Stealing our time.
I consider magic as the skill of hand, and/or on-stage illusion, live, as you see it.
I have to agree. Unfortunately most of Criss Angel's tricks on his show can only be done on video (and with actors playing along). If you read the reviews of his stage show most people are disappointed that he does standard stuff like making doves appear and escaping from a straitjacket instead of the more outrageous stuff he does on TV.
Max_mang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2013, 08:55 AM   #17
joesixpack
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Iamme View Post
I have to agree. There is nothing entertaining about watching an audience of actors and a chain of crappy edits and calling it a "magic trick". It's not magic, it's just bad special effects in a bad movie.
Old 4th January 2014, 10:03 AM   #18
Azrael 5
Philosopher

When he pulls the woman apart you can see the clothing is solid around the edges of the gap as on a wire frame,the clothing gives it away. As others have said its camera tricks and Jonny Eck did the non edits version first and Kevin James has also a non camera trick version.. Angel is a douche.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxXfGHMwzjw

ETA The "split" woman is at least 10 years older than her solid version

Last edited by Azrael 5; 4th January 2014 at 10:10 AM.
Azrael 5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2014, 05:25 AM   #19
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
ETA The "split" woman is at least 10 years older than her solid version
The stress of being cut in half might age a person.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2014, 06:28 AM   #20
Bob Klase
Master Poster

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
That must be where the term 'half-life' came from?
Bob Klase is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2014, 10:05 AM   #21
Azrael 5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Old 26th January 2014, 05:12 PM   #22
Bitsko
Scholar

Quote:
'Splain this!
Beats me, but he needs to work on his mechanic's grip.
Bitsko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2014, 10:39 PM   #23
xjx388

Wow, that was pretty bad. The woman post-split was obviously not the same woman pre-split. The people watching were obviously actors. Just really bad execution.

I'm going to be in Vegas this weekend and I was really considering seeing Angel's "Magic Jam" but this makes me reconsider. Of course, Banachek is going to be there so that might be reason enough to go . . .

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conjuror's Corner