IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st October 2021, 07:46 AM   #1
crescent
Illuminator

First World War surplus wood used to repair U.S. Capitol

Much of the furnishings of the U.S. capitol were made with mahogany wood - something quite difficult to come by these days. That's a problem because some of those furnishings were damaged during the January 6 attack.

Back during the First World War, the Forest Products Laboratory of the U.S. Forest Service (still in its first decade of existence) did research on the use of different kinds of wood for airplane propellers.

Some of that wood was unused at the time and then remained warehoused (in Wisconsin) for a century, and can now be used for the capitol repairs.

FPL Sends Historic Legacy Mahogany to Help Restore U.S. Capitol

I don't know which is more interesting. The government apparently still has stocks of surplus material from WWI. And, the inventory management is good enough for them to know what's there.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 07:59 AM   #2
sphenisc
Philosopher

I think we all know where this thread is headed. Can we shift it to the Philosophy subforun now?
Old 21st October 2021, 04:32 PM   #3
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

That crate the Ark of the Covenant was stored in? Solid mahogany!
Old 21st October 2021, 06:36 PM   #4
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
I think we all know where this thread is headed. Can we shift it to the Philosophy subforun now?
Are we doing the Ship of Theseus thing?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 08:49 PM   #5
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Sweet bebbe jeebus...
I know jack all about carpentry and woodworking, but that's near a thousand board feet of inch thick, century old cured mahogany.
I think I need a lie-down.

More than a few woodworkers havin' an "O moment", I should think.

On a serious note ...
If the damage on the sixth was that extensive, I'd like to see pics and I'd like them shoved In the face of every damned congress-critter who claims the insurrectionist bastards were merely "like well behaved tourists".

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 21st October 2021 at 08:53 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2021, 08:50 AM   #6
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Preferable to the conundrum inspired by Theseus's colon transplant.
Old 24th October 2021, 02:34 AM   #7
KDLarsen
Illuminator

In a similar vein, when the Danish fleet was seized and destroyed by the British in 1807, large sections of woodland was set aside to grow the oak trees needed to build their replacements.

However, before they could mature, development in ship building overtook them and they were left in place. They've seen been used to, amongst other thing, rebuild the rotten roof structure of Roskilde Cathedral.

I understand a similar search for mature trees is now being undertaken in France, with a view towards the reconstruction of Notre-Dame.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2021, 07:53 AM   #8
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I follow the Acorn to Arabella YouTube channel, young guys building a wooden sailboat from scratch, harvesting oak trees from the family farm. At one point they acquired an old and very rotten boat, Victoria, which they scrapped but not before salvaging fittings and the mahogany interior, which is becoming the interior of the new boat. They also plan to build their dinghy out of it.
Old 24th October 2021, 11:25 AM   #9
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

The luthiers of the US are all wondering how they can get their hands on some…..
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2021, 01:03 PM   #10
sackett
Philosopher

I wonder: How long can wood be warehoused and remain usable?

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2021, 01:22 PM   #11
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Is it really good wood or is it just the history of it? We're talking about $12K worth at today's prices aren't we?

ETA: I see it's an "old growth" form that is no longer available. Is it remarkably better than today's?

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 24th October 2021 at 01:24 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2021, 02:49 PM   #12
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Is it really good wood or is it just the history of it? We're talking about $12K worth at today's prices aren't we?

ETA: I see it's an "old growth" form that is no longer available. Is it remarkably better than today's?
Just going on extent old growth being protected, I'd think it was extremely valuable. Like the huge century plus old submerged redwoods and such that salvagers search for.

As for quality, I don't know... weather patterns during the decades the trees grew, quality of the selections chosen for the collection, how well they've been stored which I'll give the dept the benefit of the doubt.
I pointed out the dimensions upthread... can anything that thick and a full foot wide be sourced today?
70+ 12 foot by 12 inch planks? I can't see $12k gettin it.

Eta: No, I see you're correct, for today's harvested product. So it comes down to quality differences if any, and the historical aspect of the old wood.
But I doubt they produce a price list.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 24th October 2021 at 02:57 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2021, 02:52 PM   #13
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
The luthiers of the US are all wondering how they can get their hands on someÖ..
Don't know if they'd need the planks, but I bet they'd love an unobserved hour to explore the storage facility.
I wonder how exotic the collection gets.

Old 26th October 2021, 03:28 PM   #14
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
No we have to wait until the 2 Visions show up for that one....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2021, 03:31 PM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Seriously, a lot of damage was done to the historic Capitol Building furnishings by the "Peaceful Protestors" of Jan 6th. Something that their supporters like to ignore.........
And they are not easy to repair for the reasons in the thread.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2021, 02:46 PM   #16
Planigale
Philosopher

Sometimes you don't want to repair. Perhaps it is better to leave the damage as a lesson.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2021, 11:50 AM   #17
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Sometimes you don't want to repair. Perhaps it is better to leave the damage as a lesson.
Perhaps some damage can left as a display, with signs explaining who did it.

Bluntly worded signs, if I get to write them.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2021, 06:28 PM   #18
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
I could imagine them leaving some of the damage visible, or at least looking slightly different than it looked before. I know that when repairing historic artifacts it is common to keep the repairs slightly visible so that future historians can still tell what is original or what is from the repairs. They might, as you say, also leave some damage unrepaired for the same reason (to preserve some of the physical history of the attack) but I would think that would be mostly for minor damage.

Think of a future Capitol Building tour guide pointing that out: "See how the wood on this part of the door frame has this little arrowhead branded on it? That's how the Park Service marked wood used to repair the damage from the January 6 attack". (When I worked for the NPS, branding wood with the NPS arrowhead logo or just the letters "NPS" was a common way of marking repairs to historic structures. Just little brands in out of the way places, you had to look to see it).

I would also not be surprised if I found out that some of the "repairs" are being used to cover security improvements. Wooden doors being replaced with thicker wooden doors, or wood veneer over steel doors. Reinforced doorframes. Thicker window frames with stronger "glass" (or whatever is used in "bulletproof" windows). Repairs will not always be "in-kind".
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts