IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags transgender incidents , transgender issues , transgender rights

Old 13th September 2021, 10:09 AM   #1
Elaedith
Graduate Poster

Mod InfoContinued from here. As is usual the split point is arbitrary and participants are free to quote from previous parts of this thread. But please use your best endeavours to stick to your MA when composing and submitting your posts.
Posted By:Agatha

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
T As a result, they got rid of the question, and because they got rid of the question, they had to get rid of the answer.
Apparently the interviewer wanted to substitute a different question while keeping the answer, and was unable to see any problem with that. The mind boggles.

Last edited by Agatha; 13th September 2021 at 12:23 PM.
Elaedith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2021, 10:09 AM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Probably need to qualify this middle statement, as it varies quite a bit depending on who you're talking to
That's true of this entire discussion. But at least one side, wrong as they are, isn't demanding the major variable they are arguing for remains forever undefined.
Old 13th September 2021, 10:11 AM   #3
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

If you read the vice article, they also refused to run a follow-up interview question about TERFs aligning themselves with the far right Heritage Foundation, which illustrated the same point without the complexities of the Wi Spa case.

Seems to me that the editors had lots of options short of just avoiding the issue. They easily could have just added an editor's note and/or follow-up question and response, for example, rather than yanking this part of the interview entirely.
So, Gleeson offered to revise history by rewriting the interview to include things that didn't actually happen in the interview.

ETA: Or, as Elaedith put it, the mind boggles.
Old 13th September 2021, 10:11 AM   #4
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
That's true of this entire discussion. But at least one side, wrong as they are, isn't demanding the major variable they are arguing for remains forever undefined.
Drawing hard, clear lines that are needlessly cruel and motivated by animus is often a very simple thing to do.
Old 13th September 2021, 10:13 AM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

An awfully strong stance considering the allegations against this person remain unsubstantiated. Criminal charges means we'll likely learn more in time.
Nope, he's already registered as a sex offender. These are entirely substantiated allegations. You're really doubling down on the "pretend he's not real" strategy?
Old 13th September 2021, 10:19 AM   #6
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Nope, he's already registered as a sex offender. These are entirely substantiated allegations. You're really doubling down on the "pretend he's not real" strategy?
I suppose we'll have to wait and see. Given a prior history of similar crimes, I would agree it seems likely, perhaps even most likely, that the allegations against this person are more or less correct.

What exactly does a repeat criminal committing a crime say about the broader debate? If anything, the prior convictions for the same crime from before trans-inclusive laws were in effect show that such laws had little impact.
Old 13th September 2021, 10:22 AM   #7
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You know you don't need to align with "fascists", just to align against a serial sexual assaulter.
The sex related charges against Merager all are related to exposure, not assault. (Assuming I didn't miss anything in the news.)

He (or whatever) was also convicted of burglary.

Basically - 2002 and/or 2003 (can't remember exactly), conviction for indecent exposure. I have seen no information regarding the nature of these incidents. i.e. was it classic "flashing", or was it being nude in a female facility where nudity would be expected, as in the Wi Spa case.

2008 - Conviction for not registering as a sex offender.

2014 - Conviction for burlary.

2018 - (I think) charges of indecent exposure. I don't know why those haven't been resolved. Numerous reports of other indecent exposure incidents.

2021 - Wi spa incident.

The burglary charges were actually quite prominent, and got a lot of press. The victim was an extremely wealthy and well known hedge fund manager, and Merager et. al. broke into his house and stole expensive art. It was noted in one not very trans friendly publication I read about that in none of the 2014 stories were any pronouns other than "he" used to describe Merager, and there was no mention of transgender issues.

ETA: And the above is all from memory. I'm confident I got the "big picture" accurate, but I might be off on a few details.
Old 13th September 2021, 11:19 AM   #8
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Earthborn View Post
Boudicca has a tendency to use non-standard definitions of terms.
You are making excuses for Boudicca90, and they are excuses that Boudicca90 didn't even use.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2021, 11:36 AM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The sex related charges against Merager all are related to exposure, not assault. (Assuming I didn't miss anything in the news.)

He (or whatever) was also convicted of burglary.

Basically - 2002 and/or 2003 (can't remember exactly), conviction for indecent exposure. I have seen no information regarding the nature of these incidents. i.e. was it classic "flashing", or was it being nude in a female facility where nudity would be expected, as in the Wi Spa case.

2008 - Conviction for not registering as a sex offender.

2014 - Conviction for burlary.

2018 - (I think) charges of indecent exposure. I don't know why those haven't been resolved. Numerous reports of other indecent exposure incidents.

2021 - Wi spa incident.

The burglary charges were actually quite prominent, and got a lot of press. The victim was an extremely wealthy and well known hedge fund manager, and Merager et. al. broke into his house and stole expensive art. It was noted in one not very trans friendly publication I read about that in none of the 2014 stories were any pronouns other than "he" used to describe Merager, and there was no mention of transgender issues.

ETA: And the above is all from memory. I'm confident I got the "big picture" accurate, but I might be off on a few details.
Thanks for the correction. I withdraw my exaggerated allegations.
Old 13th September 2021, 12:37 PM   #10
d4m10n
Philosopher

Drawing hard, clear lines that are needlessly cruel and motivated by animus is often a very simple thing to do.
If we're going to have spaces/leagues segregated by gender (instead of sex) we're still going to need some clear lines drawn.

I don't think there is *any* way to draw those lines which won't make anyone feel like they've been hard done by.
Interesting coincidence with the linked author's first name, or are you just quoting yourself here?
Not quoting anyone; just providing a specific example of the level of evidence I would personally bring to the table before throwing around accusations of fascism.

Last edited by d4m10n; 13th September 2021 at 12:54 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2021, 12:53 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
If we're going to have spaces/leagues segregated by gender (instead of sex) we're still going to need some clear lines drawn.
"I prefer to compete against women because men are in a whole other league, biologically."

"Biologically, you're in the same league as men."

"Exactly!"
Old 13th September 2021, 04:54 PM   #12
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by Earthborn
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
The first two occur if and only if the transwoman in question takes cross-sex hormones.
Which is very often true of individuals known to be trans.
Quote:
And since hormone treatment is not required to be considered transgender under the new criteria of self-declaration only...
Just because someone is transgender does not necessarily mean they are a transwoman.
Quote:
So let me be more clear: What characteristics are shared by pre/non-op, pre/non-HRT transwoman and females, and which are NOT shared by pre/non-op, pre/non-HRT transwomen and males?
The term "transwoman" implies that the person involved is in some sense a "woman", they have taken some steps to transition.
It does not usually include persons with a feminine gender identity who remain closeted. When deciding who goes in which prison, we are talking about individuals who are known to be trans.
Quote:
Relatively effeminate males are also at risk of being raped (by males, mind you) when thrown into a male prison.
Which just shows that segregation based on biological sex isn't really a solution to anything. Just fix your prison system first.

So... If Eddie Izzard and Alex Drummond were to commit crimes that land them in jail... would you argue that they be placed in the male prison or the female prison? Both have declared themselves to be transwomen, both identify as women, neither have had (nor plan to have) any hormone therapy, neither have had (nor plan to have) any surgical alterations. Yet neither is closeted.

Do they count as "women" to you? Do they gain access to female spaces, honors, shelters, and prisons as a right?
Old 13th September 2021, 04:57 PM   #13
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey
The plural of anecdote is not data.

The whole "trans crime of the day" bit is very tired. Reminiscent of white supremacists who love to pluck outrageous stories of "black crime" in their campaign of bigotry.
There is a pattern here.

ST: That never happens, it's all propaganda!
EC et all: It happened here (provides reference)
ST: That's just an anecdote, it doesn't count. Where's the massive number of instances?
EC et all: Well, there's, this and this and this and this and this (supplies multiple references)
ST: <crickets>

~~~ Days pass~~~

ST: That never happens, it's all hysterical overreacting propaganda and animus!
Old 13th September 2021, 04:58 PM   #14
Emily's Cat

I am perturbed by the number of journalists, editorial authors, self-proclaimed "influencers", and other devout followers who are still defending Merager and casting the female adults and children subjected to Merager's genitals against their will as being evil bigots.
Old 14th September 2021, 10:44 AM   #15
Elaedith
Graduate Poster

So, Gleeson offered to revise history by rewriting the interview to include things that didn't actually happen in the interview.

ETA: Or, as Elaedith put it, the mind boggles.
I suppose it's not that surprising considering that the truth of the claims is irrelevant to those who are pushing the narrative.
Old 14th September 2021, 01:56 PM   #16
Emily's Cat

New Research Shows a Vast Majority of Cis People Won't Date Trans People

I feel like this is kind of a No ****, Sherlock sort of a study. The author seems surprised by these findings, which boggles my mind. The vast majority of people on the planet are attracted to people whose primary and secondary sexual characteristics are in alignment with each other. We're wired that way, we're a sexually dimorphic species that reproduces via two distinct and different sexes. Why on earth would anyone be surprised that this holds true? It's up there with doing research and being surprised to find out that water is wet.

This part also reinforces to me the willful ignorance and fantasy involved:

Quote:
Surprisingly, among the 127 participants open to dating a trans person, almost half selected a trans person of a gender incongruent with their stated sexual orientation. For example, 50% of the trans-inclusive straight women and 28% of the trans-inclusive gay men were willing to date a trans woman, even though one wouldn’t expect either straight women or gay men to be attracted to women. Similarly, 50% of trans-inclusive straight men and 69% of trans-inclusive lesbians said they’d date a trans man, even though both groups are presumably only attracted to women.
This is what happens when someone somewhere tries to redefine sexual orientation to be "gender identity orientation" instead. Then you end up with researchers being surprised that gay males are attracted to other males, regardless of their presentation, and that gay females are attracted to other females.

Their conclusion really hammers home the lack of rational thought involved.

Quote:
The high rates of trans exclusion from potential dating pools are undoubtedly due in part to cisnormativity, cissexism, and transphobia — all of which lead to lack of knowledge about transgender people and their bodies, discomfort with these unknowns, and fear of being discriminated against by proxy of one’s romantic partner. It is also possible that at least some of the trans exclusion is due to the fact that for some people, sexual orientation might be not (just) about a partner’s gender identity, but attraction to specific body types and/or judgment of reproductive capabilities.
They're concluding that exclusion of transgender people is transphobia, as opposed to basic sexual function. But hey, at least they consider it a *possibility* that some people are attracted to a sex as opposed to a gender identity.
Old 14th September 2021, 02:52 PM   #17
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Once again, the mind boggles.
Old 14th September 2021, 02:52 PM   #18
d4m10n
Philosopher

In (good) legal news:
https://twitter.com/tulsaworld/statu...63783027822595

Quote:
The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has ordered Southeastern Oklahoma State University to reinstate with tenure a transgender professor who was fired after an administrator said her “lifestyle” offended him.
Old 14th September 2021, 02:54 PM   #19
Paul2
Philosopher

I feel like this is kind of a No ****, Sherlock sort of a study. The author seems surprised by these findings, which boggles my mind. The vast majority of people on the planet are attracted to people whose primary and secondary sexual characteristics are in alignment with each other. We're wired that way, we're a sexually dimorphic species that reproduces via two distinct and different sexes. Why on earth would anyone be surprised that this holds true? It's up there with doing research and being surprised to find out that water is wet.

This is what happens when someone somewhere tries to redefine sexual orientation to be "gender identity orientation" instead. Then you end up with researchers being surprised that gay males are attracted to other males, regardless of their presentation, and that gay females are attracted to other females.

They're concluding that exclusion of transgender people is transphobia, as opposed to basic sexual function. But hey, at least they consider it a *possibility* that some people are attracted to a sex as opposed to a gender identity.
Sure, it's possible, but all we have is 1.2 billion years of sexual reproduction on earth. Do we really think that any of that has anything to do with why actual people - not the species homo sapiens, but people like you and me - are attracted to someone?

/s

It's the blank slate phenomenon ( Steven Pinker, The Blank Slate), which ignores that we are animals and are part of the animal kingdom, all species in which have evolved, as if our brains are somehow exempt from the influence of that 1.2 billion years.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Paul2; 14th September 2021 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typos
Paul2 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 03:03 PM   #20
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah, it's funny now until not dating a transperson is seen as transphobic.

Which will happen.
Old 14th September 2021, 03:10 PM   #21
Elaedith
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Sure, it's possible, but all we have is 1.2 billion years of sexual reproduction on earth. Do we really think that any of that has anything to do with why actual people - not the species homo sapiens, but people like you and me - are attracted to someone?

/s

It's the blank slate phenomenon ( Steven Pinker, The Blank Slate), which ignores that we are animals and are part of the animal kingdom, all species in which have evolved, as if our brains are somehow exempt from the influence of that 1.2 billion years.
The underlying basis of gender identity ideology is rooted in denial of objective material reality. All phenomena are socially constructed and can be deconstructed by changing language.

Somewhere on twitter, somebody used the analogy that if the earth were going to be hit by an asteroid, you could solve the problem by redefining 'earth' as 'something that cannot be hit by asteroids' (or redefining an asteroid as something that cannot collide with a planet). Of course, this also means having to silence anyone who speaks the wrong narrative.
Old 14th September 2021, 03:18 PM   #22
p0lka
Master Poster

Maybe the thread title needs a change?

surely it has been established by now that transwomen are women if they want that gender role, but they aren't female?

Buck angel isn't male, they are very manly though so yeah take the role.

Gender is like deciding who you want to play in a rpg.

Go for it, I love people being able to be themselves without societal pressure.

Gender change is fine by me, you can't deny reality though.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 03:22 PM   #23
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post

surely it has been established by now that transwomen are women if they want that gender role, but they aren't female?
Not according to Boudicaa.
Old 14th September 2021, 04:17 PM   #24
Distracted1
Philosopher

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublethink

They just need more practice. They will master it eventually,
Old 14th September 2021, 04:20 PM   #25
Distracted1
Philosopher

That has not been established at all.
A Woman is an Adult, Human, Female. All three criteria need be met.
Old 14th September 2021, 04:23 PM   #26
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Insane propagandists
Surpisingly Unsurprisingly, among the 127 participants open to dating a trans person, almost half selected a trans person of a gender incongruent with their stated sexual orientation. For example, 50% of the trans-inclusive straight women and 28% of the trans-inclusive gay men were willing to date a trans woman, even though especially because one wouldn’t expect either straight women or gay men to be attracted to women. Similarly, 50% of trans-inclusive straight men and 69% of trans-inclusive lesbians said they’d date a trans man, even though especially because both groups are presumably only attracted to women.
There, fixed for us rational folks.
Old 14th September 2021, 04:38 PM   #27
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
That has not been established at all.
A Woman is an Adult, Human, Female. All three criteria need be met.
I disagree,
from what I can work out, woman is a gender label so rpg it, whatever.
Human? Won't anyone think about the A.I's?

Female is a physical description, I don't think that can rpg'ed at all.

A female is a female, a male is a male, everything else seems to be a variable.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 04:38 PM   #28
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If being a little bit squicked out by the prospect of cock-sex with someone in the uncanny valley between male and female makes me a transphobe, then a transphobe is what I am.

Heterosexuals don't have to apologize to anyone for their sexual turn-ons and turn-offs. Homosexuals don't have to justify their sexual attractions to any damn person. Transsexuals don't have to apologize. Why should cissexuals have to?
Old 14th September 2021, 04:39 PM   #29
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Very good, and they should probably fire the administrator and anyone else involved in the firing.
Old 14th September 2021, 04:40 PM   #30
Olmstead
Muse

I want to roleplay as a very, very manly woman.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 04:42 PM   #31
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

This has been established and disestablished, stipulated and rejected, multiple times throughout the several installments of this thread.

Me, I've mostly come around to the conclusion that gender roles are a stalking horse for transcending sex-based segregation. So, in the only way that anyone is willing to define, the only way that has concrete practical applications, transwomen (i.e., males) are not women (i.e., females). Everything else is jiggery-pokery dancing around this basic truth and its opponents.
Old 14th September 2021, 04:44 PM   #32
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
I want to roleplay as a very, very manly woman.
I want the best of both worlds. Affirmative action, hiring quotas, maternity leave, #believeallwomen, and $1.00 for every $0.70 worked.
Old 14th September 2021, 04:57 PM   #33
Distracted1
Philosopher

I disagree,

Indeed, and being female is just as much a component of being a "Woman" as being an Adult, or being a Human is.
If all three conditions are not met- the person is "presenting as", or "believing themselves to be" or even "pretending to be" a Woman. Which is fine by me. But they are not, objectively, a "Woman" unless they are Female, Adult, and Human.
Old 14th September 2021, 05:10 PM   #34
Olmstead
Muse

I disagree,

If you define woman as a gender role, does that mean a female person who doesn't perform that gender role isn't a woman?
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 05:12 PM   #35
Distracted1
Philosopher

If you define woman as a gender role, does that mean a female person who doesn't perform that gender role isn't a woman?
Deleted.
Responding to wrong post.

Last edited by Distracted1; 14th September 2021 at 05:19 PM.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 05:18 PM   #36
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

And you wonder why the trans activists resort to name-calling and false narratives. The entire trans-inclusionary argument can be summarized as: "Shut up," he explained.
Old 14th September 2021, 05:18 PM   #37
Emily's Cat

Good!
Old 14th September 2021, 05:18 PM   #38
Olmstead
Muse

Nevermind.

Last edited by Olmstead; 14th September 2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 14th September 2021, 05:19 PM   #39
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah, it's funny now until not dating a transperson is seen as transphobic.

Which will happen.
Already happening, at least to lesbians. It's spreading though.
Old 14th September 2021, 05:20 PM   #40
Distracted1
Philosopher

I wasn't talking to you, but to the person who did define it that way. That's why I was quoting them and not you.
My Error. Sorry.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events