IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th December 2020, 05:47 PM   #1761
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Doesn't matter what a lawyer writes in a personal letter. If they are serious, it comes in a specific format and wording. Barr simply doesn't want Trump to launch his mob lawyers at him for violating his NDA or whatever. He just wants to go away with his skin intact.
I always figured Barr as a guy who'd slouch away when it was convenient.
Old 14th December 2020, 07:27 PM   #1762
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

There is no way Barr wrote that letter and meant it. None. There was some kind of coercion.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2020, 07:44 PM   #1763
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
There is no way Barr wrote that letter and meant it. None. There was some kind of coercion.
Getting out alive??
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2020, 07:57 PM   #1764
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
True, but is that a positive or a negative to the Bidens? Now that China Joe is back in high office his name has power and influence to sell, but will his junkie son and brother be brave enough to cash in on it?

Will the "big guy" still get his 10% cut if they do?
Also, what’s in it for the token hoe?
Old 14th December 2020, 08:15 PM   #1765
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Just had a very nice meeting with Attorney General Bill Barr at the White House. Our relationship has been a very good one, he has done an outstanding job! As per letter, Bill will be leaving just before Christmas to spend the holidays with his family...

...Deputy Attorney General Jeff Rosen, an outstanding person, will become Acting Attorney General. Highly respected Richard Donoghue will be taking over the duties of Deputy Attorney General. Thank you to all!
....except when I was deriding him and saying he wasn't.
Yeah, didn't he just call Barr a "big disappointment" in a recent tweet? In fact, there was a series of very critical tweets about Barr.
Old 14th December 2020, 08:25 PM   #1766
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Yeah, didn't he just call Barr a "big disappointment" in a recent tweet? In fact, there was a series of very critical tweets about Barr.
Trump reality is "alternative" just like his facts, remember?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2020, 08:31 PM   #1767
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
True, but is that a positive or a negative to the Bidens? Now that China Joe is back in high office his name has power and influence to sell, but will his junkie son and brother be brave enough to cash in on it?

Will the "big guy" still get his 10% cut if they do?
Don't you have a rally to attend? Or a check to write to the Election Defense Fund? I heard a rumor that there was a laptop in a junk yard with a Beau Biden Foundation sticker on it somewhere in Hodunk, Idaho. Or in the upper Peninsula area of Michigan. You might want to check them out.
Old 14th December 2020, 10:53 PM   #1768
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Don't you have a rally to attend? Or a check to write to the Election Defense Fund? I heard a rumor that there was a laptop in a junk yard with a Beau Biden Foundation sticker on it somewhere in Hodunk, Idaho. Or in the upper Peninsula area of Michigan. You might want to check them out.
A Trump fanboy accuses Biden of using the power of the Presidency to line his families pocket.
Another Irony Meter blown all to hell.
When he has anything other than B.S. Name calling on the table, I will take him seriously.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2020, 12:12 AM   #1769
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
What meeting?
The meeting where soldier Barr jumped ship and tried to rehabilitate his name by pretending no one noticed.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th December 2020 at 12:43 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2020, 12:36 AM   #1770
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Good point from Adam Serwer: "The irony of Bill Barr, an executive power fanatic exclusively where Republican presidents are concerned, is that he treated Biden more fairly than Comey treated Clinton, because he cared less what the GOP thought of him."
Old 15th December 2020, 01:19 AM   #1771
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I don't buy the "Barr treated Biden fairly" shtick for one second.

Barr already had a many prosecutors resign or recuse over Flynn and other cases.
Durham refused to help in the 'Russiagate' fiction.
The DoJ IG was more than suspicious of what the White House and Barr were up to.

I think he figureed that if the Dems were willing to Impeach Trump over Ukraine to protect Biden from a smear campaign, they wouldn't hesitate for a second to bring down the house on top of him, with the help of whistleblowers, or which there would be plenty. It would be impossible to argue that Trump wasn't pressuring the DOJ to go after his political opponent.
And as a result, Trump would look far worse going into November than he did with just the Hunter-Laptop nonsense to talk about.

no, as has ALWAYS been Barr's MO, he was protecting his President, even from himself.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 15th December 2020 at 01:20 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2020, 01:49 AM   #1772
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

Barr already had a many prosecutors resign or recuse over Flynn and other cases.
The DoJ IG was more than suspicious of what the White House and Barr were up to.

I think he figureed that if the Dems were willing to Impeach Trump over Ukraine to protect Biden from a smear campaign, they wouldn't hesitate for a second to bring down the house on top of him, with the help of whistleblowers, or which there would be plenty. It would be impossible to argue that Trump wasn't pressuring the DOJ to go after his political opponent.
And as a result, Trump would look far worse going into November than he did with just the Hunter-Laptop nonsense to talk about.

no, as has ALWAYS been Barr's MO, he was protecting his President, even from himself.
I don't know. I feel like that if Barr had aided Trump like he requested and he won, there's nothing the Dems could have done about it. I think if he had cooperated, the prospect of Trump hanging something like that over his head for the next four years forcing him under his thumb is more likely to have factored into it.

I think it's pretty obvious that Trump is the last guy you'd want to have some dirt on you. Tampering in elections is a huge pile of dirt.

I believe that whatever reason Barr chose to defy Trump, and I'm not really sure exactly what reasons those were since there could be several, it was a selfish one.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2020, 01:54 AM   #1773
Firestone

I agree with most of this.

Nobody (in his right mind) claims that Barr did anything out of the goodness of his heart, or because he has such a deep respect for the rule of law, fairness, etc ...

The net result is the same. What Comey did (even if he thinks that his motives were valid) did great harm to Hillary Clinton, most probably was enough to flip the election to Trump.

If the investigations involving Hunter Biden had been made public by the DOJ before the election, there is no way to know what impact it would have had.
It would have been a bigger story than the laptops thing.
By not doing this, it forced the team of geniuses around Giuliani to go with the grotesque Hunter Biden laptops story (or stories, I've lost track). That didn't get any traction, because too ridiculous.

Of course we can't rewrite history and check these hypothesis, but we know that Comey harmed Clinton, while Barr (for whatever reason) didn't harm Biden in October.

He doesn't get any prize for this, that's for sure.
Old 15th December 2020, 07:41 AM   #1774
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
A Trump fanboy accuses Biden of using the power of the Presidency to line his families pocket.
This is just standard propaganda stuff - accuse your political opponent of stuff that you do.
Old 15th December 2020, 11:58 AM   #1775
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Barr is just the biggest rat yet to abandon the sinking ship.
But that letter was truly vomit inducing.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 15th December 2020 at 12:00 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2020, 05:52 PM   #1776
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Back to
the town of Bedrock . . .
Wrong franchise:

Old 22nd December 2020, 08:39 AM   #1777
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Barr does more to rebuke Trump on his way out the door...

Attorney General William Barr on Monday rejected several of President Donald Trump's inflammatory and unfounded statements regarding the presidential election, saying at a news conference that he doesn't plan to appoint a special counsel to investigate President-elect Joe Biden's son Hunter or the election.
On the SolarWinds cyber attack..., Barr said, "It certainly appears to be the Russians."...
Trump over the weekend downplayed the massive cyberattack on US federal government agencies and contradicted Pompeo's statement, saying without evidence that the attack may have come from China.

Not that I think Barr should be congratulated for this. He has enabled the worst of Trump's excesses for the past year or 2, and the fact that he is now doing the bare minimum that his job requires in one or 2 areas doesn't make up for that.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 08:43 AM   #1778
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Well, Trump's right. It might have come from China. But let's focus on where it DID come from, shall we?

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:02 AM   #1779
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Barr wants to establish himself as the new rational center of the GOP.
Old 23rd December 2020, 03:33 AM   #1780
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I think his chosen date for leaving is so he doesn't have to be associated with the various pardons Trump is handing out.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 04:58 PM   #1781
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Barr does more to rebuke Trump on his way out the door...

Attorney General William Barr on Monday rejected several of President Donald Trump's inflammatory and unfounded statements regarding the presidential election, saying at a news conference that he doesn't plan to appoint a special counsel to investigate President-elect Joe Biden's son Hunter or the election.
On the SolarWinds cyber attack..., Barr said, "It certainly appears to be the Russians."...
Trump over the weekend downplayed the massive cyberattack on US federal government agencies and contradicted Pompeo's statement, saying without evidence that the attack may have come from China.

Not that I think Barr should be congratulated for this. He has enabled the worst of Trump's excesses for the past year or 2, and the fact that he is now doing the bare minimum that his job requires in one or 2 areas doesn't make up for that.
It's like the cat in the hat trying to get rid of the pink bathtub ring. You try to get it off but it just keeps smearing.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 07:37 PM   #1782
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's like the cat in the hat trying to get rid of the pink bathtub ring. You try to get it off but it just keeps smearing.
I'd suggest a gastroenterologist.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 07:40 PM   #1783
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if Barr is beginning to regret taking the job....
Old 23rd December 2020, 08:17 PM   #1784
dirtywick
Illuminator

I think his chosen date for leaving is so he doesn't have to be associated with the various pardons Trump is handing out.
I think this is correct. I’m sure the Stone pardon in particular bothered him.

And perhaps some of the ones still coming.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:33 PM   #1785
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Barr, more than anyone else, worked to give Trump the legal space to do what he is doing now.
He bought the gasoline and lighters for Trump, but is leaving now because he doesn't want anything to do with the arson that's about to happen.
Old 24th December 2020, 12:40 AM   #1786
Firestone

Agree.

I wonder if Barr is beginning to regret taking the job....
Nah, he's proud of all the mischief he's done.

Barr, more than anyone else, worked to give Trump the legal space to do what he is doing now.
He bought the gasoline and lighters for Trump, but is leaving now because he doesn't want anything to do with the arson that's about to happen.
I wonder if the "Special Counsel for Fraud", (or should that be "sPeCiAl CoUnSeL FoR fRaUd?"), wasn't another thing he'd rather left to others.
Old 24th December 2020, 06:16 AM   #1787
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
or should that be "sPeCiAl CoUnSeL FoR fRaUd?"
It should not. Hate when people do that.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2020, 06:27 AM   #1788
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

This whole month has been so full of crazy, that yesterday I realized I had completely forgotten about Barr quitting. It just vanished into the maelstrom of stupid.....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics