IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2021 elections , New York City politics , New York politics , Ranked Choice Voting

Reply
Old 8th June 2021, 06:01 PM   #1
Kaylee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,280
New York City Elections

Do we have enough members from New York City to have a thread on the city's June primary elections?,

In my district alone these are the offices that are going to be on the Democratic primary ballot:

Mayor (12 candidates)
Public Advocate ( 3)
Comptroller (10)
District Attorney (8)

This doesn't include the borough presidents (5 in NYC for each of the boroughs), city council elections, and civil court elections.

What may interest those who don't live in NYC is that 5 of the offices will have ranked choice voting for the first time -- up to 5 choices per office. Here's an example of how the board of elections explains ranked voting: Simple Ranked Vote Demo/


Early voting starts on the 12th and the last day of voting is on election day.

It can always be a challenge to decide who to vote for but with ranked voting instead of selecting 5 politicians for 5 offices, one can choose up to 23 politicians for 5 offices (one office only has 3 candidates running vs 5). I'm finding that especially challenging and I admit to only starting to learn about many of the candidates as I've been super busy this year. However, I've never been a fan of the idea of someone running for a significant office with no experience of having held any elected position - so that is making the winnowing process easier for me. But it's a little scary to see how many people in that category are running for mayor...

Last edited by Kaylee; 8th June 2021 at 06:02 PM.
Kaylee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 06:15 PM   #2
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 21,360
Originally Posted by Kaylee View Post
Do we have enough members from New York City to have a thread on the city's June primary elections?,

In my district alone these are the offices that are going to be on the Democratic primary ballot:

Mayor (12 candidates)
Public Advocate ( 3)
Comptroller (10)
District Attorney (8)

This doesn't include the borough presidents (5 in NYC for each of the boroughs), city council elections, and civil court elections.

What may interest those who don't live in NYC is that 5 of the offices will have ranked choice voting for the first time -- up to 5 choices per office. Here's an example of how the board of elections explains ranked voting: Simple Ranked Vote Demo/


Early voting starts on the 12th and the last day of voting is on election day.

It can always be a challenge to decide who to vote for but with ranked voting instead of selecting 5 politicians for 5 offices, one can choose up to 23 politicians for 5 offices (one office only has 3 candidates running vs 5). I'm finding that especially challenging and I admit to only starting to learn about many of the candidates as I've been super busy this year. However, I've never been a fan of the idea of someone running for a significant office with no experience of having held any elected position - so that is making the winnowing process easier for me. But it's a little scary to see how many people in that category are running for mayor...
Should you vote if you have so little knowledge about the candidates? How do you know if starting now is enough time to sufficiently inform yourself?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 06:42 PM   #3
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,771
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Should you vote if you have so little knowledge about the candidates? How do you know if starting now is enough time to sufficiently inform yourself?
Oh, good lord.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 06:48 PM   #4
Kaylee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,280
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Should you vote if you have so little knowledge about the candidates? How do you know if starting now is enough time to sufficiently inform yourself?
I think there's time if I use it wisely. At a minimum, I know enough to decide whether to vote for people who have held elected office for years, have a voting record, and have gone on record by various methods such as deciding what bills to sponsor.

How would you justify not trying at all?

Last edited by Kaylee; 8th June 2021 at 06:52 PM.
Kaylee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 10:07 PM   #5
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 21,360
Originally Posted by Kaylee View Post
I think there's time if I use it wisely. At a minimum, I know enough to decide whether to vote for people who have held elected office for years, have a voting record, and have gone on record by various methods such as deciding what bills to sponsor.

How would you justify not trying at all?
I have about four different takes to your question. I won't bother you with them and derail if you want this to focus on the specifics.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2021, 08:39 AM   #6
jrhowell
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
Posts: 732
Originally Posted by Kaylee View Post
What may interest those who don't live in NYC is that 5 of the offices will have ranked choice voting for the first time -- up to 5 choices per office. Here's an example of how the board of elections explains ranked voting: Simple Ranked Vote Demo/
From the sample:

Quote:
Rank up to 5 choices.
Only rank one candidate per column
Don’t rank any candidate more than once
Three simple instructions. What could go wrong?

I'm thinking that there will be a significant number of spoiled ballots.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2021, 05:49 PM   #7
Kaylee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,280
Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
From the sample:



Three simple instructions. What could go wrong?

I'm thinking that there will be a significant number of spoiled ballots.
Maybe. I'm wondering if that issue will be covered in the news.

For what it's worth I'm pretty most of the spoiled ballots will be for one or some positions but not the entire ballot. Let's say a voter breaks rule # 2 for the mayor's position, but does everything else correctly. Their ballot will have no selection registered for mayor and the rest of their ballot will be counted as marked.

Let's say a voter breaks rule #3 and casts their vote for the same person in all 5 ranks for mayor. The voting machine is programmed to count the vote cast for mayor in the first rank and disregard the choices for the remaining 4 ranks. This mistake won't prevent the machine from attempting to count the votes cast for the other positions.

Yeah, i think there will be some partially spoiled ballots but not that many completely spoiled ballots.

ETA - There are more instructions elsewhere on the web site such as making sure to fill in the entire circle for your choice and not to use Xs or checkmarks. Using checkmarks instead of filling in the circle for all of your choices would definitely spoil the entire ballot, but that is not a new rule in NYC elections.

As an aside, I resent being expected to cast up to 23 votes for 5 positions as I don't think there are that many good candidates and it will be a lot of work to thoughtfully make 23 real choices. But other than that, I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out and what the voters reactions to the experience will be. As far as I know, it will be the first time ranked voting is used in NYC for a political election.

Last edited by Kaylee; 9th June 2021 at 05:51 PM.
Kaylee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2021, 03:27 AM   #8
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,976
NYC mayoral elections are always a bit grim, but this one is especially so. At least Andrew Yang seems to have tanked his early lead.

The addition of ranked choice voting is interesting, but eliminating off-year elections and permitting non-citizen voting would probably be more meaningful democratic reforms. Turnout in 2017 was a dismal 18%, and I doubt it will be much higher this time.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2021, 05:33 AM   #9
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 21,360
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
NYC mayoral elections are always a bit grim, but this one is especially so. At least Andrew Yang seems to have tanked his early lead.

The addition of ranked choice voting is interesting, but eliminating off-year elections and permitting non-citizen voting would probably be more meaningful democratic reforms. Turnout in 2017 was a dismal 18%, and I doubt it will be much higher this time.
I have trouble complaining about the off year election thing. Why is turnout lower? If people just don't care as much, I'm not clear why you want those same people to vote.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2021, 06:03 AM   #10
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,976
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I have trouble complaining about the off year election thing. Why is turnout lower?
Because it's an off-year election. Fewer high-profile races, less effort spent on broad turnout drives.

And this probably isn't a coincidence--the local party machine prefers it this way. They've resisted early voting reforms for decades for much the same reason.

In any case, I don't see any reason to accept the claim that I don't want the people who don't turn out to vote. It's premised on the long-debunked idea that non-voters are immutably disinterested.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2021, 06:27 AM   #11
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 21,360
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Because it's an off-year election. Fewer high-profile races, less effort spent on broad turnout drives.

And this probably isn't a coincidence--the local party machine prefers it this way. They've resisted early voting reforms for decades for much the same reason.

In any case, I don't see any reason to accept the claim that I don't want the people who don't turn out to vote. It's premised on the long-debunked idea that non-voters are immutably disinterested.
But why would you want the vote on Y to reflect the votes of people that wouldn't bother to vote for Y when Y is by itself?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2021, 09:24 AM   #12
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,976
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
But why would you want the vote on Y to reflect the votes of people that wouldn't bother to vote for Y when Y is by itself?
Because people are affected by the outcome of elections irrespective of whether they vote. It's better when turnout is higher for the same reason it's better to have democratic elections in the first place--it legitimizes outcomes on the standard liberal self-government account. It's a bad situation that our current mayor was re-elected with something like 14% of the eligible vote, particularly when so many New Yorkers aren't eligible to vote.

Last edited by mumblethrax; 12th June 2021 at 10:36 AM.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 01:34 AM   #13
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 26,325
Adams has a sizable lead after chaotic New York primary

Well Andrew Yang won't be the next mayor of New York.

There's still some counting left because it's ranked choice voting and nobody got an absolute majority on the first ballot. However, Eric Adams appears to have a sizable lead.

Quote:
NEW YORK — Eric Adams rode an anti-crime message to a commanding lead in the crowded race to replace outgoing Mayor Bill de Blasio, ousting former presidential contender Andrew Yang and holding off nearly a dozen other Democrats.

But under New York’s new ranked-choice voting system, the election now heads into an instant runoff that could last for weeks and keep the Brooklyn borough president from officially claiming his party’s nomination.
An "instant" runoff that could last for weeks.

And of course this is still just the primary, but most people seem to think that whoever wins the Democratic primary will go on to win the general election too.



Analysis: Crime is up sharply in New York City, so a "tough on crime" political message seems to be a winning message even among New York City Democratic Primary voters. Adams is a former police officer.
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Last edited by Puppycow; 23rd June 2021 at 01:37 AM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 12:55 PM   #14
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,976
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
And of course this is still just the primary, but most people seem to think that whoever wins the Democratic primary will go on to win the general election too.
Given that Curtis Sliwa won the Republican primary, I certainly hope so.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 01:18 PM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 53,223
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Given that Curtis Sliwa won the Republican primary, I certainly hope so.
Given the Silwa thinks law enforcement should have the right to be judge, jury and executioner, I agree.
it is interesting the Silwa, who has made no bones about despising Trump, (one of the very few things I can say in his favor) was introduced by Giuliani. Maybe even Giuliani sees that Trump is not going to hold public office again.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2021, 03:41 PM   #16
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,445
Silwa was running against a man who claimed that Trump won the 2020 election. I think either way the GOP needs to lose.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2021, 04:01 PM   #17
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,771
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Adams has a sizable lead after chaotic New York primary

Well Andrew Yang won't be the next mayor of New York.

There's still some counting left because it's ranked choice voting and nobody got an absolute majority on the first ballot. However, Eric Adams appears to have a sizable lead.



An "instant" runoff that could last for weeks.

And of course this is still just the primary, but most people seem to think that whoever wins the Democratic primary will go on to win the general election too.



Analysis: Crime is up sharply in New York City, so a "tough on crime" political message seems to be a winning message even among New York City Democratic Primary voters. Adams is a former police officer.

Tell that to Joecool who "just wondered" if the new mayor will prioritize elimination of police and jails.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2021, 04:07 PM   #18
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 53,223
I got a feeling Yang did poorly because of a backlash feeling that maybe electing people, however sucessful in business they might be, have never held elective office or a government position to a high, leadership position, might not be a good idea...
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2021, 08:25 PM   #19
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 11,019
Why does this type of election need to take "weeks" to count? We have this here in Australia, and it can be done in hours, in time for trends to be on the evening news.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2021, 09:08 PM   #20
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,976
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I got a feeling Yang did poorly because of a backlash feeling that maybe electing people, however sucessful in business they might be, have never held elective office or a government position to a high, leadership position, might not be a good idea...
Probably had more to do with him putting his foot in his mouth three times a day.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2021, 09:54 AM   #21
Donal
Illuminator
 
Donal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,450
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Why does this type of election need to take "weeks" to count? We have this here in Australia, and it can be done in hours, in time for trends to be on the evening news.
I don't know how litigious Australia is, but here in Freedomland, everything needs a healthy dose of CYA. Also, this is the first time it is being run in NYC. For some odd reason, they couldn't just go off of what Maine has already done.
__________________
SuburbanNerd A blog for making tech make sense
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2021, 12:56 PM   #22
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 53,223
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Probably had more to do with him putting his foot in his mouth three times a day.
Yes, that also. But then, that might have added to a "not ready for the jpb' image.
I honestly think that playing the "I am an outsider who never held a responsible position in Government and therfore I deserve a top spot" card is going to be very hard after Trump.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2021, 01:42 PM   #23
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 11,019
Originally Posted by Donal View Post
I don't know how litigious Australia is, but here in Freedomland, everything needs a healthy dose of CYA.
OK. So what's the likely problem? Our voting is on paper ballots counted by hand. Ancient and slow technology. We also have official scrutineers, observers in the USA, I think, hanging on every vote. And yet it can be done officially and accurately in hours. Have they not run training and practices beforehand for the poll workers?

Quote:
Also, this is the first time it is being run in NYC. For some odd reason, they couldn't just go off of what Maine has already done.
What do they do in Maine?
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2021, 03:55 PM   #24
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,726
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Why does this type of election need to take "weeks" to count? We have this here in Australia, and it can be done in hours, in time for trends to be on the evening news.
Simply put, NYC’s elections board…well, they suck. They’ve sucked for a long time.

I wasn’t going to speak on this election, since NYC usually picks some goofball anyway, but there’s your answer.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2021, 04:19 PM   #25
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 53,223
The whole electiion process for NYC Mayor seems incredibly convuluted.
Bring back Tammany Hall.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2021, 04:42 PM   #26
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,771
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The whole electiion process for NYC Mayor seems incredibly convuluted.
Bring back Tammany Hall.
The GOP is trying. And doing a bang up job.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2021, 09:22 PM   #27
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 11,019
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Simply put, NYC’s elections board…well, they suck. They’ve sucked for a long time.

I wasn’t going to speak on this election, since NYC usually picks some goofball anyway, but there’s your answer.
Let me get this right...

There's no permanent official body of some sort charged with overseeing NY state and city elections?
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 12:06 AM   #28
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,976
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Let me get this right...

There's no permanent official body of some sort charged with overseeing NY state and city elections?
I believe Mumbles was referring to the mayor in your highlight there.

NYC does have a permanent official electoral body--the NYC Board of Elections. They generally suck at administering elections, however.

In support of this statement:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/29/n...gtype=Homepage

Last edited by mumblethrax; 30th June 2021 at 12:23 AM.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 12:12 AM   #29
malbui
Beauf
 
malbui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,081
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Given the Silwa thinks law enforcement should have the right to be judge, jury and executioner, I agree.
Well, given that NYC was supposed to be part of Mega-City 1 by the end of this century he's only getting ahead of the curve there.
__________________
"But Master! Does not the fire need water too? Does not the mountain need the storm? Does not your scrotum need kicking?"
malbui is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 01:05 AM   #30
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 11,019
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
I believe Mumbles was referring to the mayor in your highlight there.

NYC does have a permanent official electoral body--the NYC Board of Elections. They generally suck at administering elections, however.

In support of this statement:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/29/n...gtype=Homepage
Paywalled for me.

But i take it someone said it was shambolic?
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 01:20 AM   #31
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,976
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Paywalled for me.

But i take it someone said it was shambolic?
Quote:
Then, around 10:30 p.m., the board finally released a statement, explaining that it had failed to remove sample ballot images used to test its ranked-choice voting software. When the board ran the program, it counted “both test and election night results, producing approximately 135,000 additional records,” the statement said. The ranked-choice numbers, it said, would be tabulated again.
Even after taking a week to release the preliminary ranked choice results, a giant error went undetected.

In general, the problem is that a) the way we run electoral boards/commissions/whatever in the US is stupid--we go for "bipartisan" rather than independent and b) in NYC in particular, the board of elections is a mess of political patronage and incompetence. Dudalb says "bring back Tammany Hall", but this is a direct consequence of Tammany Hall--critical jobs handed out as do-nothing favors to political supporters and relatives.

Hopefully this is a big enough scandal to finally clean house at the BoE. Maybe.

Last edited by mumblethrax; 30th June 2021 at 01:34 AM.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 12:19 PM   #32
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 53,223
I see some people here seem to be pretty weak in the humor department.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 02:16 PM   #33
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 53,223
Newest tactic by the Trumpers:Pointing at NYC's election problems and saying this smehow proves the November election was stolen.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 06:11 PM   #34
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,122
Well, a law and order candidate finished first, so they had to do something.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 06:20 PM   #35
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 26,325
https://twitter.com/BOENYC


So Adams won in the end but it was closer than it seemed after the first round.

There was also apparently a snafu where pre-election test ballots were not purged from the system, resulting in the test ballots initially being included in the results. I think that has been rectified.

If you follow the link in the pinned tweet you can see how all 9 rounds of elimination went and how the vote totals changed each time. It took Adams until the final round to get over 50%.
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 07:18 PM   #36
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 11,019
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Well, a law and order candidate finished first, so they had to do something.
...which was what? Count the votes according to the rules? Like they did last year?
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 07:23 PM   #37
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 11,019
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Even after taking a week to release the preliminary ranked choice results, a giant error went undetected.

In general, the problem is that a) the way we run electoral boards/commissions/whatever in the US is stupid--we go for "bipartisan" rather than independent and b) in NYC in particular, the board of elections is a mess of political patronage and incompetence. Dudalb says "bring back Tammany Hall", but this is a direct consequence of Tammany Hall--critical jobs handed out as do-nothing favors to political supporters and relatives.

Hopefully this is a big enough scandal to finally clean house at the BoE. Maybe.
Yeah, that does indeed sound pretty shambolic.

I am surprised that an electoral commission is considered partisan, or even involved in any political party, in any way. Surely it should be a permanently employed group of independent professionals, who are fully trained in the business of running an election and tallying votes accurately according to the extant rules, and can demonstrate openly that it has been done so.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 11:07 PM   #38
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 22,771
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Well, a law and order candidate finished first, so they had to do something.
Hmmm...now he's a "law and order candidate"? I thought he was going to eliminate police and jails. Make up your mind.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2021, 06:49 AM   #39
Donal
Illuminator
 
Donal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,450
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
OK. So what's the likely problem?
Machine politics and cronyism.

Quote:
Our voting is on paper ballots counted by hand. Ancient and slow technology. We also have official scrutineers, observers in the USA, I think, hanging on every vote. And yet it can be done officially and accurately in hours. Have they not run training and practices beforehand for the poll workers?
See above. There's little interest in changing how things are done since it will likely cost the entrenched powers time and energy to rig a new system in their favor. The irony is voters seemingly had no issue with Ranked Choice Voting itself and are just given more motivation to get rid of the old guard.

Quote:
What do they do in Maine?
A better job than NYC.
__________________
SuburbanNerd A blog for making tech make sense
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2021, 07:50 AM   #40
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,122
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
...which was what? Count the votes according to the rules? Like they did last year?
They "found" 135,000 test ballots had been included somehow so those were supposedly subtracted and Adams' lead went from significant to slim after the requisite ranked choice number crunching. Now they need to add over 100k absentee ballots.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:45 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.