ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags newbies , welcome , welcome posts

Old 14th December 2018, 07:53 PM   #3001
8enotto
Muse

Hello good folks of the IS community.

I am a lurker from Mexico as of a few weeks ago and decided to join. A lot of the stuff here I can enjoy and maybe even intelligently respond to

I grew up in the era of In Search Of and other paranormal type shows and back then started wondering when all the promises of groundbreaking proof and solid evidence was going to happen. 40 years later a bunch of new faces and a billion new theories have come out and I still watch that ghost and UFO crap shows waiting for a tidbit of solid evidence.
It has not come yet. But the scammers have gotten lots of practice meanwhile.

Thank you for allowing me here.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2019, 07:29 PM   #3002
attempt5001
Critical Thinker

Hi 8enotto. A tardy welcome to the forum. I've already seen your posts around on a number of threads and it's great you decided to join and contribute.
Cheers!
attempt5001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:35 AM   #3003
jeffbradt
New Blood

Smile Have been a member, but have not posted much

Hi all,

I have been a member of ISF for a couple years, but I joined and then shortly stopped coming back. I plan to visit atheistic and skeptical websites, including forums, more often in the coming months, so perhaps I can be more active on this one. I will pick one or two good forums on which I feel at home and like what is said, and then I will probably leave the rest.

I hope to reach theists with the message that atheists and other skeptical people are wonderful, compassionate, vibrant and fun members of society. I am looking for inspiration along those lines.

Have a great day, and thanks for reading!

Last edited by jeffbradt; 14th March 2019 at 09:37 AM.
jeffbradt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 12:44 PM   #3004
attempt5001
Critical Thinker

Hi Jeff. Hopefully the forum(s) you choose to stick with are ones where you both like and dislike some of what is said, so you can have a variety of useful discourses. I hope to run into you around the site. Cheers!
attempt5001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 03:40 AM   #3005
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Originally Posted by jeffbradt View Post
Hi all,

I have been a member of ISF for a couple years, but I joined and then shortly stopped coming back. I plan to visit atheistic and skeptical websites, including forums, more often in the coming months, so perhaps I can be more active on this one. I will pick one or two good forums on which I feel at home and like what is said, and then I will probably leave the rest.

I hope to reach theists with the message that atheists and other skeptical people are wonderful, compassionate, vibrant and fun members of society. I am looking for inspiration along those lines.

Have a great day, and thanks for reading!
Apart from the Ship of Fools which I joined on the recommendation of The Atheist - where I have the same avatar, slightly different name)
I also belong to the Religion and Ethics forum, a spin-off when the BBC religious message boards closed down.
There are some very smart posters there, plus some who are not!
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 06:14 AM   #3006
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Hello good folks of the IS community.

I am a lurker from Mexico as of a few weeks ago and decided to join. A lot of the stuff here I can enjoy and maybe even intelligently respond to

I grew up in the era of In Search Of and other paranormal type shows and back then started wondering when all the promises of groundbreaking proof and solid evidence was going to happen. 40 years later a bunch of new faces and a billion new theories have come out and I still watch that ghost and UFO crap shows waiting for a tidbit of solid evidence.
It has not come yet. But the scammers have gotten lots of practice meanwhile.

Thank you for allowing me here.
A belated welcome to you! Bienvenidos. I have seen you around the forum and we're glad that you are here.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 06:46 AM   #3007
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, 8enotto is, among other things, a collector of tools, builder of buildings, and metal sculptor.

I've been enjoying his "My house is my hobby" thread in which we see a very different sort of building than we get up here in darkest Vermont.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 09:51 AM   #3008
ACJL
New Blood

Lurker from Western Europe here! Finally decided to sign up and hope to have a good time here.
Thanks for allowing me here.
ACJL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 03:36 PM   #3009
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ACJL View Post
Lurker from Western Europe here! Finally decided to sign up and hope to have a good time here.
Thanks for allowing me here.
OHO! One of those "childless Europeans" who irritated the Big Dog so much he flounced off, eh...coming in to fill the vacuum? (just kidding, welcome)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 01:29 AM   #3010
HeadOverH33ls
Student

Hello, I am HeadOverH33ls

Good Morning Everyone,

I am HeadOverH33ls. Currently I live in Germany. I am 25 years old and my interests include conspiracy theorys and tech. I like programming, playing video games, meeting friends, reading books and work. I am still a student and I like to learn.

best regards,
HeadOverH33ls
HeadOverH33ls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 03:05 PM   #3011
Finn Minnow
New Blood

Hi everyone! My name is Finn Minnow. That is all.
Finn Minnow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 03:09 PM   #3012
Jack Dahl
New Blood

I'm Jack

I love entertaining via close-up magic. I'm not trying to fool anyone, it's not a challenge to see if you can "catch the magician". I'm a guide on a journey, one that we're all on together.

I want you to believe.

In magic?

No.

In yourself.

I'm Jack, happy to be here and thank you for your time.
Jack Dahl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 05:48 PM   #3013
Itchy Boy
Muse

Originally Posted by HeadOverH33ls View Post
Good Morning Everyone,

I am HeadOverH33ls. Currently I live in Germany. I am 25 years old and my interests include conspiracy theorys and tech. I like programming, playing video games, meeting friends, reading books and work. I am still a student and I like to learn.

best regards,
HeadOverH33ls
Welcome to the forum. What is your interest in conspiracy theories?

Only the small secrets need to be protected. The large ones are kept secret by public incredulity. - Marshall McLuhan
Itchy Boy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 06:41 AM   #3014
HeadOverH33ls
Student

Originally Posted by Itchy Boy View Post
For example Mind Control.
HeadOverH33ls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 07:20 AM   #3015
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

For example Mind Control.

Does that mean they control your mind to make you interested in conspiracy theories?

That one has always fascinated me, if they are controlling ones mind why can't they even keep them from checking out mind control conspiracy theories?

The rabbit hole is just too deep for me these days. From stickers on road signs for the locations of the FEMA death or internment camps. To just not taking ownership of ones own various and at times negative thoughts (thus they must be nefariously implanted). To chemtrails and cloud busting. To the idea that just about everyone one encounters is some kind of actor or agent out to spy on or manipulate them.

I used to checkout the site educateyourself.org for the latest paranoid poop of all those sorts and much more. However, my antivirus is now tagging the address as risky, so surfer beware.

Welcome, everyone.
Old 20th May 2019, 07:36 AM   #3016
HeadOverH33ls
Student

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Does that mean they control your mind to make you interested in conspiracy theories?

That one has always fascinated me, if they are controlling ones mind why can't they even keep them from checking out mind control conspiracy theories?

The rabbit hole is just too deep for me these days. From stickers on road signs for the locations of the FEMA death or internment camps. To just not taking ownership of ones own various and at times negative thoughts (thus they must be nefariously implanted). To chemtrails and cloud busting. To the idea that just about everyone one encounters is some kind of actor or agent out to spy on or manipulate them.

I used to checkout the site educateyourself.org for the latest paranoid poop of all those sorts and much more. However, my antivirus is now tagging the address as risky, so surfer beware.

Welcome, everyone.
No, they do not make me interested in anything. That's why conspiracy theories seem so boring to me. I am not able to read everything or anything about it.

My whole life is not planned by.
Old 20th May 2019, 09:46 AM   #3017
Itchy Boy
Muse

No, they do not make me interested in anything. That's why conspiracy theories seem so boring to me. I am not able to read everything or anything about it.

I'm confused. The first interest you mention in your introductory post is conspiracy theory, but now you say they're boring. I thought we might have an interesting exchange, but that no longer seems likely. Sorry for the intrusion. Carry on.

Only the small secrets need to be protected. The large ones are kept secret by public incredulity. - Marshall McLuhan
Itchy Boy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 10:12 AM   #3018
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

I'm confused. The first interest you mention in your introductory post is conspiracy theory, but now you say they're boring. I thought we might have an interesting exchange, but that no longer seems likely. Sorry for the intrusion. Carry on.

I'm confused by the interest in the boring as well. I hope my lame attempt at mind controlling humor didn't put HeadOverH33ls off.
Old 20th May 2019, 01:05 PM   #3019
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

A persistent problem in reading about the content of conspiracy theories is that they have no content. You have in a sense pinpointed the problem. They're boring because they are empty of substance.

Old 24th May 2019, 05:12 AM   #3020
HeadOverH33ls
Student

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
I'm confused by the interest in the boring as well. I hope my lame attempt at mind controlling humor didn't put HeadOverH33ls off.
I cannot explain it.

In my profile here you can read, that I do not have any interests. Conspiracy theories are something I'm interested in and I would like to talk about that, but it's not really possible for me to get engaged in it.

It's kinda weird and strange. That's why I waited so long with my comment.
Old 25th May 2019, 07:28 AM   #3021
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

I cannot explain it.

In my profile here you can read, that I do not have any interests. Conspiracy theories are something I'm interested in and I would like to talk about that, but it's not really possible for me to get engaged in it.

It's kinda weird and strange. That's why I waited so long with my comment.
OK but citing your lack of interest in things that interest you doesn't really help. Also interest does not necessitate, nor is it predicated on, engagement.

I think bruto put it best as the lack of content being the limiting factor and reflects my own lack of engagement and loss of interest. That I tried to express above, with not having time for the rabbit hole anymore. As bruto notes there is no substance so as you drill down all you get is more rabitthole.

Just glad my poor joke didn't put you off.
Old 18th June 2019, 08:15 AM   #3022
Ponderneer
New Blood

Hi All. I'm from sunny South Africa and happy to be part of this forum again, even though things seemed to have calmed down a bit since my initial JREF stint some 12 odd years ago.

Happy to see some of the old-timer mods and members are still around and the general positive guidance are still solid and flowing freely. You guys are doing a fantastic job indeed and for that I thank you.
Ponderneer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 05:49 PM   #3023
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Excellent to see new blood, especially from sunny Sarth Efrica.
Old 4th July 2019, 04:51 PM   #3024
MiroirDuTemps25
New Blood

Hello ! I am new on this website !

I like reading, writing, drawing and programming.

I would be enchanted to be friends with some of you.

Thanks a lot !
MiroirDuTemps25 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 07:56 AM   #3025
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by MiroirDuTemps25 View Post
Hello ! I am new on this website !

I like reading, writing, drawing and programming.

I would be enchanted to be friends with some of you.

Thanks a lot !
Welcome MiroirDuTemps! Based on your screen name, you might have something valuable to contribute to this thread in community.

Let's Parler Franglais
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 08:49 AM   #3026
MiroirDuTemps25
New Blood

Ah ? Why ?
MiroirDuTemps25 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!