ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th July 2019, 09:40 PM   #1
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Border Problems with "Detainees" ... why not?

Please for give me as I am only vaguely informed / interested about the issues.

Why do they "detain" people at the US border when there is SO many negative result.

It's bad for PR, BAD for the detainees, bad for the country, people actually DIE, kids get sick, it's VERY costly, everyone hates it .... etc etc

When people are crossing the border without paperwork, or caught right near the fence (wall whatever) ... why don't the authorities just tell them to go away?

I mean to be nice they could give them, a pamphlet explaining the proper way to emigrate, and a list of social service sites in Mexico (if they have that) some water and three day supply of MRE's or something, heck a new hat whatever .. but just say "Go Away" you are not allowed to live here, it's against law.

What is the point of spending HUNDREDS of BILLIONS of dollars, detaining people who are not allowed to live in your country??
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 10:00 PM   #2
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Because typically they make asylum claims. By law, someone claiming asylum cannot be turned away without having their claim adjudicated first. Also, there are unaccompanied minors trying to cross. Also, who's to say that they would just "go away"?

You haven't thought this through or bothered to inform yourself of what is happening before commenting.
Old 7th July 2019, 10:10 PM   #3
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Because typically they make asylum claims. By law, someone claiming asylum cannot be turned away without having their claim adjudicated first. Also, there are unaccompanied minors trying to cross. Also, who's to say that they would just "go away"?

You haven't thought this through or bothered to inform yourself of what is happening before commenting.
So change the law ... they do that all the time ... why is the US obligated to "asylum" everyone in the world?

When I say "Go away" I mean obviously not just to say that ... the point is not to house everyone ... if it's a problem them just showing up the next day, bus them 600 miles inland ...

There's got be a lot of ways to make people go away ... the point is just don't let them in .. let them live in camps on the Mexico side where they can be looked after without US money / responsibility.

Last edited by Ron Swanson; 7th July 2019 at 10:11 PM.
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 10:27 PM   #4
Parsman
Muse

Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
So change the law ... they do that all the time ... why is the US obligated to "asylum" everyone in the world?

When I say "Go away" I mean obviously not just to say that ... the point is not to house everyone ... if it's a problem them just showing up the next day, bus them 600 miles inland ...

There's got be a lot of ways to make people go away ... the point is just don't let them in .. let them live in camps on the Mexico side where they can be looked after without US money / responsibility.
It's not "the USA". International law requires countries to accept asylum seekers. Despite what some USAians believe you are part of a bigger world and not some special snowflakes.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 10:30 PM   #5
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Invade another country to dump people who may or may not be citizens of that country?

Violate international treaties that have been signed long ago?

How many other idiotic solutions for the idiotic problem of concentration camps have you come up with?
Old 7th July 2019, 10:47 PM   #6
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The US has to accept people who fulfill the requirements for Asylum. There is a process to determine whether or not someone qualifies.
The odd thing is that the US tries to do this at the border, which, more or less by definition, is the worst place to do it. It would be easier, faster and cheaper to have processing facilities all over the country, and transfer seekers to where there is plenty of space.
Old 7th July 2019, 11:05 PM   #7
Civet
Graduate Poster

why is the US obligated to "asylum" everyone in the world?
We aren't. Many of these asylum claims will be rejected once they've been properly reviewed. Unfortunately, the backlog of immigration cases is absolutely gargantuan and even if we put more resources into clearing them it would take a long time. So people with completely legitimate asylum claims wind up waiting forever to find out whether they're going to be sent back to some nightmare and people with bogus claims can stall for time. It kind of sucks really, but granting asylum to everyone who asks would amount to open borders and blanket refusals could get people killed.
Though Mexico is getting a bad rap from the White House for not doing more to stem the tide, they have started up the Estas en tu Casa plan to settle some of the migrants there. A lot of them rejected the offer, though.

Last edited by Civet; 7th July 2019 at 11:21 PM.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 01:19 PM   #8
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Thanks guys!! ...

I appreciate the input, and am doing some more reading to be more informed ... I guess my main thought was kind of simplistic ...

I am often 'required" to offer my opinion at social gatherings about this kind of political debate, and I find reading and posting here is a GREAT resource.

I know in several European countries they are experience huge influxes or immigrants as well with some problems, so it's not isolated to our area.

One thing I can agree with (and I think everyone should agree with) about media reports and a few "liberal youtube videos" i have watched is, it's not fair to the kids ...

There should be some more resources to allow the little ones access to basic needs while waiting in the "detainment areas" to find out their fate
Old 8th July 2019, 03:45 PM   #9
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Thanks guys!! ...

I appreciate the input, and am doing some more reading to be more informed ... I guess my main thought was kind of simplistic ...

I am often 'required" to offer my opinion at social gatherings about this kind of political debate, and I find reading and posting here is a GREAT resource.

I know in several European countries they are experience huge influxes or immigrants as well with some problems, so it's not isolated to our area.

One thing I can agree with (and I think everyone should agree with) about media reports and a few "liberal youtube videos" i have watched is, it's not fair to the kids ...

There should be some more resources to allow the little ones access to basic needs while waiting in the "detainment areas" to find out their fate
They are mal-treated like that "pour encourager les autres" from thinking of coming to the USA. They are trying to make the USA as uninviting and unwelcome to the Hispanic brown folks as possible. So they revel in the publication of the concentration-camp conditions and will do nothing to end it.

This is not a new tactic nor limited to the USA. We do it even worse in Australia.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events