ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags transgender incidents , transgender issues , transgender rights

Old 8th July 2019, 05:58 AM   #481
Robin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Depends what you mean. For example in the 80s in Manchester many of the Ts would go to the New Union (not the most trendy of the few gay pubs around the area) and they certainly didn't face violence and threats in such a pub. Yes there were some issues in that some of the Gs and Ls were not that friendly or supportive but in the end the commonality of persecution brought the activists together.
My recollection too. There were lots of tensions between certain groups and trans women in particular, but we were all there in it together.

Bisexuals got a worse run in many ways, especially as in the '80's it was hard to get people to believe there was such a thing. I wasn't around to see LGBT all grouped together. Even the L and G was a difficult marriage.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:25 AM   #482
d4m10n
Illuminator

Via CBS

Quote:
A transgender journalist is expressing concern about how Democrats running for president talk about trans issues. Katelyn Burns, who was the first transgender Capitol Hill reporter in U.S. history, joins CBSN to discuss her latest article in Politico.
https://twitter.com/transscribe/stat...54552932519945

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

ETA: Funny thing about this is that we know Julián Castro practiced his answers time and time again, from last weekend's episode of This American Life.

Last edited by d4m10n; 11th July 2019 at 06:16 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2019, 02:03 PM   #483
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Science!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/114291...fair-advantage

Quote:
Science demonstrates that high adult levels of testosterone, as well as permanent testosterone effects on male physiology during in utero and early development, provides a performance advantage in sport and that much of this male physiology is not mitigated by the transition to a transwoman.
Old 17th July 2019, 05:55 PM   #484
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

You mean smashing the women's hurdle world record by 2 full seconds (if I remember correctly) isn't normal? Shocked.

All the women MMA fighters that had to fight a trans then later complained they'd never been hit so hard in their lives actually weren't lying?

This is one of the stupidest subjects ever discussed here, and that is saying a whole lot.

Sorry ladies, we're taking away your bathrooms, your right to your own bodies, and now your sports. Ya let's get things back to where they belong - the dark ages.

WT politically correct F is wrong with people?

And guess what? Scientists will not sway people's opinions on this matter. Science is not politically correct.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM   #485
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Interesting:

"Potential solutions include excluding trans women from competing in the women's division, creating a third division for trans women and intersex women and calculating a handicap for trans women based on their testosterone levels – similar to that used in golf.

Their preferred option is an extension of this with a proposed algorithm that could account for a range of parameters, both physical and social, including physiological,*gender identity and could include socioeconomic status."

... could include socioeconomic status? Say goodbye to the Olympics being simply about 'the fastest man/woman in the world'
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM   #486
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
... could include socioeconomic status? Say goodbye to the Olympics being simply about 'the fastest man/woman in the world'
"You ran faster, but I won because I would have been even faster than you if I'd had a better upbringing and could afford better equipment and training. And if I were a man."

ETA: If this goes through, sooner or later we're going to have a fast woman who beats a slow man, but still loses the race because she didn't beat him by enough to offset her wealth advantage under the handicap rules.

And there are other awkwardnesses ahead of us as well. Sports competitions make money off of people who want to see the best of the best, putting each other to the test. This is why men's events generate far more revenue than women's events. Merging the literal best with the potential best into a single handicapped event will almost certainly reduce viewership and revenue. Presumably this outcome is undesirable to the IOC. Hopefully they don't actually imagine that the "transwomen are women" activists represent a demographic large enough to offset these revenue losses.

Last edited by theprestige; Yesterday at 11:26 AM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM   #487
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The weirdest thing about all of this is that we now have situations where men make the best women.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM   #488
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
"You ran faster, but I won because I would have been even faster than you if I'd had a better upbringing and could afford better equipment and training. And if I were a man."
"Fastest Woman in the World with a Gross Annual Income of less that $25,000".

The possible categories are endless.
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM   #489
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What will happen first? Equal pay for women's soccer? Or the complete destruction of women's soccer?

Sooner or late, a junior varsity men's college team is going to identify as women, go to the world cup, and score points like it was basketball.

Last edited by theprestige; Yesterday at 01:12 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM   #490
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

What will happen first? Equal pay for women's soccer? Or the complete destruction of women's soccer?
I really liked the Babylon Bee take:

Pay Gap Between Men's And Women's Teams Reveals Shocking Truth That People Are Paid To Play Soccer

My favorite bit:
"Soccer is a game played by children and Europeans that involves moving a ball around without using one’s hands -- the feature that distinguishes man from lesser animals."
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM   #491
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I really liked the Babylon Bee take:

Pay Gap Between Men's And Women's Teams Reveals Shocking Truth That People Are Paid To Play Soccer

My favorite bit:
"Soccer is a game played by children and Europeans that involves moving a ball around without using one’s hands -- the feature that distinguishes man from lesser animals."

Ah, but human soccer players use their back legs to move the ball around. I'd like to see a dog do that.
Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM   #492
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post

Ah, but human soccer players use their back legs to move the ball around. I'd like to see a dog do that.
Dogs might have some trouble, but birds could do it easily enough.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM   #493
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Interesting:

... creating a third division for trans women and intersex women ...
That's the only sensible option, otherwise sport will end up in the same classification debacle that disabled sport has.

The weirdest thing about all of this is that we now have situations where men make the best women.
Thailand & Pacific Islands have recognised that for many years.

Depends on what accessories you're after - bit like choosing between a sports car and a kitted-out 4WD.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events