ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th July 2019, 12:39 AM   #121
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I am beginning to find it quite humorous that given mans history, the concept of one groups superiority over another's suddenly has to be all about idiot white supremacists over another coloured people.

It is like the left suddenly wiped out the holocaust and all the many other atrocities with the same thing from their memories simultaneously
Gasp!

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 12:42 AM   #122
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Gasp!
Pretty much.
Old 12th July 2019, 12:51 AM   #123
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
Are you saying the holocaust was not about white supremacy? You've heard about this whole "Aryan" thing the nazis were so exited about, right?
No

I am saying coloured wasn't the only people the Nazi's thought they were superior to
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 03:27 AM   #124
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The Nazis looked down on Slavs, therefore the Little Mermaid should have very little melanin. Makes perfect sense.
Old 12th July 2019, 03:36 AM   #125
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The Nazis looked down on Slavs, therefore the Little Mermaid should have very little melanin. Makes perfect sense.
Well that and anyone they decided of their own kind was mentally impaired, or in the case physically disabled like deafness or blind were sterilised or castrated.

Lovely peps
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 03:41 AM   #126
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
Exactly. When are the media going to learn that "people complain on Twitter" is not a story?
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Outrage is an addiction. There's good money to be had in being a pusher.
Racists Hunger Games fans are very disappointed

This was from a few years back. The book describes both characters as having dark skin. Reading comprehension fail. Also based on Twitter outrage, but then there's counter-outrage based on the tweets. So, something for everyone.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 03:47 AM   #127
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I have no dog in the race.

I just don't like seeing my childhood shows getting rewritten to appease the politically correct base.
Did you object the last time, where instead of
being tortured with every step she takes with human legs, getting rejected anyway and dieing and turning into sea foam, she marries the prince and lives happily ever after
or is it just the skin colour that you think should not be changed? FFS her skin colour or her scale colour is in no way relevant to the story. Aquatic mammals range all the way from light grey to black with a few being white. Go tell a humpback whale its colour is wrong.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 04:08 AM   #128
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
There is some good news for the white supremacist crowd from Disney: They should all enjoy the Lion King:

Another Disney movie whose main character is a Dane.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 04:42 AM   #129
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Well that and anyone they decided of their own kind was mentally impaired, or in the case physically disabled like deafness or blind were sterilised or castrated.
Are you suggesting the Little Mermaid is a castrated mentally defective male of non-German European extract, possibly with a physical handicap (besides the missing legs thing)? I fear your version of Ariel will meet with even more controversy than one who is merely black.
Old 12th July 2019, 04:57 AM   #130
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Are you suggesting the Little Mermaid is a castrated mentally defective male of non-German European extract, possibly with a physical handicap (besides the missing legs thing)? I fear your version of Ariel will meet with even more controversy than one who is merely black.
Only if you haven't read my posts

I was pointing out how every case of one group of people feeling superiority over another isn't automatically "White supremacists"

I actually thought it was fairly fricken obvious

Old 12th July 2019, 05:09 AM   #131
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Only if you haven't read my posts

I was pointing out how every case of one group of people feeling superiority over another isn't automatically "White supremacists"

I actually thought it was fairly fricken obvious
You want Ariel to be a white supremacist? In that case they'd better make her white herself, or it would raise distracting questions during the film. We don't want the story of half-fish jailbait making satanic bargains in order to seduce by deception with the aid of singing sea creatures to turn into something ridiculous.
Old 12th July 2019, 05:13 AM   #132
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You want Ariel to be a white supremacist? In that case they'd better make her white herself, or it would raise distracting questions during the film. We don't want the story of half-fish jailbait making satanic bargains in order to seduce by deception with the aid of singing sea creatures to turn into something ridiculous.
Um no

She could be green for all I care.

But thanks for not reading my post

Old 12th July 2019, 05:22 AM   #133
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Um no

She could be green for all I care.
Presumably an ocean-dweller would have a different focus in environmental activism, I agree. More about sewage and less about landfills. Although sea level rise itself might be a benefit to mermaids, so long as it's not coupled with deoxygenation. A significant shift in marine life diversity might trigger predator-prey ratios to get out of whack, perhaps Ariel's real reason for wanting to go on land is to hunt new prey. Maybe her lust for Eric isn't just ordinary teenaged sexuality, perhaps she's after literal meat and longs to rip him apart and feast upon chunks of his Aryan flesh! (We'll know if she's an observant Jew by whether she does kosher slaughter.)

Quote:
But thanks for not reading my post
You're very welcome! I endeavor to treat each subject with the gravity it deserves.
Old 12th July 2019, 05:49 AM   #134
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You would think depending on diet and sun exposure she would be kind of a blue, grey silver sheen. Maybe a tad of green.

Old 12th July 2019, 05:53 AM   #135
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Let's not forget the biggest story out of this;

Apparently nobody knows that Halle Berry and Halle Bailey aren't the same person.

Thank God one of them isn't named Halle Acosta.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 08:25 AM   #136
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
There is some good news for the white supremacist crowd from Disney: They should all enjoy the Lion King:
I haven't seen the CGI remake of The Lion King. Did they change the hyenas? The first time around it was said that the hyenas were racist because they were obviously meant to portray the negative stereotypes of black youth.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 08:28 AM   #137
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I haven't seen the CGI remake of The Lion King. Did they change the hyenas? The first time around it was said that the hyenas were racist because they were obviously meant to portray the negative stereotypes of black youth.
They added a minor character beat, making the female hyena, Shenzi, specifically more the clear leader of the Hyena pack and making her more of a willing partner with Scar with an agenda of her own instead of just a pawn in his plan / henchmen. It's not like a huge change from what I've heard, only a couple of lines of incidental dialog here and there. One reviewer said it it felt to him mostly like a way to give Nala a foil, since if you cast Beyonce as someone you can be damn sure they aren't just going to sit on their ass during the final battle.

That's the only change I'm aware of it, and I can't imagine how that would have racial or fascist stereotypes.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 12th July 2019 at 08:42 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 08:41 AM   #138
3point14
Pi

Let's not forget the biggest story out of this;

Apparently nobody knows that Halle Berry and Halle Bailey aren't the same person.

Ohhhh!

Thanks for that. I don't really care but now I'm less ignorant in my disinterest. .

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]

Last edited by 3point14; 12th July 2019 at 08:42 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 08:52 AM   #139
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I have no dog in the race.

I just don't like seeing my childhood shows getting rewritten to appease the politically correct base.
Then why did you like it so much the first time they did it?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 09:06 AM   #140
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Then why did you like it so much the first time they did it?
I think he's upset they changed the whole turning to sea-foam and becoming an ethereal spirit ending.

I really don't know why people think they get an opinion on this. Or, rather, why they think their opinion should matter. If you don't like it, don't go see it.

The whole - "Things must remain as they were when I first encountered them" bollocks is mental.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 09:11 AM   #141
Tormac
Muse

I think there is a much more important issue that no one has yet had the courage to question.

What race is Ariel’s lower half, and does this stay consistent? I mean is she half tuna, porpoise, barracuda? Are we erasing the culture of an entire species of half fish?

Worse yet, and I can’t help but notice that many posters have just glossed over this, is there any such things as a “mermaid” anyways? Why is Disney denying the culture of the Deeps ones??????!!!!!!!!!

Father Dagon and Mother Hydra are not going to put up with this once word reaches them.
Old 12th July 2019, 09:26 AM   #142
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Tormac View Post
I think there is a much more important issue that no one has yet had the courage to question.

What race is Ariel’s lower half, and does this stay consistent? I mean is she half tuna, porpoise, barracuda? Are we erasing the culture of an entire species of half fish?
I like to think it's tuna.

Chicken of the Sea mermaid comes to mind.

Last edited by Venom; 12th July 2019 at 09:27 AM.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 09:31 AM   #143
Tormac
Muse

I like to think it's tuna.

Chicken of the Sea mermaid comes to mind.
I am waiting for Charlie to weight in on this. I hope Disney has not started blatant attacks on tuna culture!

(As an aside I have heard rumors that Walt himself was a marlin supremacist!!!!!)

Last edited by Tormac; 12th July 2019 at 09:35 AM. Reason: eddited to add latest rumor
Tormac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 06:19 AM   #144
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I am beginning to find it quite humorous that given mans history, the concept of one groups superiority over another's suddenly has to be all about idiot white supremacists over another coloured people.

It is like the left suddenly wiped out the holocaust and all the many other atrocities with the same thing from their memories simultaneously
The left wiped out the Holocaust? Seriously?

This is a poe, right?

Lets have a look at some well known Holocaust deniers

David Irving. Close connections to right wing extremists and neo-Nazis.

Simon Sheppard. A British right-wing extremist and former member of the BNP. He was expelled by them because he was too extreme even for them.

Jean-Marie Le Pen President of Rassemblement National the French National Front. Right wing ultranationalist, Euroskeptic, anti immigration white supremacist.

Alison Chabloz British singer with extreme right-wing connections.

This is just a small sampling.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 07:09 AM   #145
dann
Philosopher

I think that the point he is trying to make is that white supremacists are also against the Jews, who are often indistinguishable from alleged Aryans (the Nazis often found it difficult to tell them apart), and they obviously aren't fond of Communists, and many of them despise homosexuals and the disabled.
But I have no idea why he would think that the left are in denial about this.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 09:50 AM   #146
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think the ultra real CGI versions of Timon and Poomba in the upcoming "Lion King" are not going to be one fourth as funny as the animated originals. Their look is a large part of what made them so funny.
I don’t get why it’s referred to as “live action remake” when it’s just another animated movie.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 04:09 PM   #147
BrooklynBaby
Muse

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
So apparently Disney is casting a black woman as Ariel in the upcoming live action remake of The Little Mermaid. This has racists triggered because apparently it's fairytale canon that she's Caucasian or something. Discuss.
Fake outrage.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 05:32 PM   #148
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Well???? Can it???

I assume it depends on both the dragon and the missile?
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
The only question I have, "Is she hot?"
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Pretty much, yeah
I'm skipping the next several pages just to say I read the third post as an answer to the second.
Old 13th July 2019, 06:29 PM   #149
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Fake outrage.
Yeah, the right is good at it.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 08:02 PM   #150
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
And me.

It appears Hollywood scriptwriters have run out of new ideas.

If they want some story ideas for NEW movies that have never before been shot, I have some.
I can agree with that, certainly, remakes, remasters, endless sequels, and lazy cash grabs seems to be all the rage these days.

Casting some mythological creature not bound to any particular geography is white or black isn't "politically correct", it's just choosing a skin colour. Why would they be white to begin with? In Harry Potter they were depicted as blueish green. They're like dragons, their colour means nothing.

It's not like they're making a film with Asian leprechauns, African wendigo, or blonde Scandinavian-looking Japanese Oni.
Old 13th July 2019, 09:17 PM   #151
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

I just hope I am not labeled a racist because I think Barry is just plain bad casting.
Barry from Eastenders? A terrible choice for a mermaid. Probably.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 10:37 PM   #152
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
being tortured with every step she takes with human legs, getting rejected anyway and dieing and turning into sea foam, she marries the prince and lives happily ever after
At least according to the Wiki, the ending is slightly more uplifting than that.

"However, the Little Mermaid cannot bring herself to kill the sleeping prince lying with his new bride, and she throws the knife and herself off the ship into the water just as dawn breaks. Her body dissolves into foam, but instead of ceasing to exist, she feels the warm sun and discovers that she has turned into a luminous and ethereal earthbound spirit, a daughter of the air. As the Little Mermaid ascends into the atmosphere, she is greeted by other daughters who tell her she has become like them because she strove with all her heart to obtain an immortal soul. Because of her selflessness, she is given the chance to earn her own soul by doing good deeds for mankind for 300 years, and will one day rise up into the Kingdom of God."

So at least there's a silver lining.
Old 13th July 2019, 10:40 PM   #153
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
At least according to the Wiki, the ending is slightly more uplifting than that.
...How?

Having been a murderous stalker up until now, she gets granted aerial and aetherial powers, a tremendously long lifespan, and tasked with further interfering with human lives? Is that how you get to Heaven: be a magical murder ghost? Because what they taught me in CCD was way off!
Old 14th July 2019, 12:53 AM   #154
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

I think this is all a plot to make us forget about what REAL merpeople are like so they can take over.

There is a deep shadow over Innsmouth for instance these days, but does the media ever report about that?

No, we get movies like this that promote mating between the two cultures!
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2019, 03:37 AM   #155
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I don't care about the race of the merperson, but if the Priest officiating the wedding doesn't have a boner I'm rioting.
Old 14th July 2019, 07:23 AM   #156
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Why in 2019, the year Captain Marvel made Jude Law her bitch is Disney remaking a movie about a girl who gives up her entire identity for guy?
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2019, 07:58 AM   #157
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I don't care about the race of the merperson, but if the Priest officiating the wedding doesn't have a boner I'm rioting.
That would depend on who's playing the Prince.
Old 14th July 2019, 03:35 PM   #158
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Nommed!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2019, 07:19 PM   #159
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Tormac View Post

She's not half fish. Look at those b-cups. She's clearly a mammal. Her tail flukes are horizontal. She's half-whale, not half fish.
Old 14th July 2019, 07:25 PM   #160
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
She's not half fish. Look at those b-cups. She's clearly a mammal. Her tail flukes are horizontal. She's half-whale, not half fish.
Perhaps she merely overcame her fish background by dint of rigorous deportment and elocution lessons? Yes, perhaps Ariel was a graduate of a dolphinishing school.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events