ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th July 2019, 09:05 AM   #41
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
It's a perfect crime. Sure, you have to walk around in a hospital gown with a needle in your arm. But once you make it past security, you are in possession of a super-valuable plastic bag on a hook and a whopping FOUR high-tech swivel wheels. And BOOM, you're set for life!
This video shows that the machine is a pump, not a bag. https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2019/0...nt-lc-orig.cnn
Ranb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 06:30 PM   #42
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Investigator clears Freeport police of misconduct in arrest of hospital patient

Originally Posted by Journal Standard
An independent investigator retained by the city of Freeport found no evidence of misconduct on the part of Freeport police in the June 9 arrest of a 24-year-old man outside FHN Memorial Hospital...
https://www.journalstandard.com/news...spital-patient
Old 10th July 2019, 06:52 PM   #43
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Investigator clears Freeport police of misconduct in arrest of hospital patient

https://www.journalstandard.com/news...spital-patient
Of course he does
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 07:15 PM   #44
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The article suggests that the IV guy was bad and dishonest and didn't even show up for the investigation so he was poopy also. Bad poopy liar man. But maybe not.
Old 10th July 2019, 08:47 PM   #45
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Police clear police of misconduct.... well colour me surprised!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:24 AM   #46
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Of course he does
Well it was a thorough investigation....

Quote:
The independent investigator based his findings on interviews with five Freeport police officers and two FHN security officers.
Hey, I didn't say anything racist. Did you, Ed? Nope, not me! Me, either.

Thank you for your time, gentlemen.

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The article suggests that the IV guy was bad and dishonest and didn't even show up for the investigation so he was poopy also. Bad poopy liar man. But maybe not.
That qualifies as neutral reporting. The NY Post or Bannon Daily Crier would've referred to the three as "having fled the scene".

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 11th July 2019 at 01:25 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 02:49 AM   #47
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Police clear police of misconduct.... well colour me surprised!
I'm sure colour had nothing to do with it. Honest.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 01:57 AM   #48
Shadowdweller
Muse

Here's a link to the investigator's report. It's...not QUITE what some have been presenting it as.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 02:15 AM   #49
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
Here's a link to the investigator's report. It's...not QUITE what some have been presenting it as.
I pretty much lost all confidence upon learning who had recommended the investigator.

But isn't it amazing how black people are all hostile and aggressive, only to turn fairly meek the instant a camera turns on?
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 04:37 AM   #50
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I pretty much lost all confidence upon learning who had recommended the investigator.

But isn't it amazing how black people are all hostile and aggressive, only to turn fairly meek the instant a camera turns on?
That report would be what I might expect for a small club investigating possible wrongdoing of one of its executives. It's incredibly amateurish for a public body whose members have been given the discretion to use lethal force.

There is no explanation as to why the author is a valid choice, only that he was chosen by the chief of police based on an individual's recommendation. There are no references, just a narrative.

I've said it before, but Justice has to be *seen* to be impartial, it's not enough for it to be asserted to impartial if the process is not transparent. The author might have analyzed the evidence well and he might have appropriate expertise and an independent approach, but there's nothing to support that except his own assertion.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 07:07 AM   #51
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
That report would be what I might expect for a small club investigating possible wrongdoing of one of its executives. It's incredibly amateurish for a public body whose members have been given the discretion to use lethal force.

There is no explanation as to why the author is a valid choice, only that he was chosen by the chief of police based on an individual's recommendation. There are no references, just a narrative.

I've said it before, but Justice has to be *seen* to be impartial, it's not enough for it to be asserted to impartial if the process is not transparent. The author might have analyzed the evidence well and he might have appropriate expertise and an independent approach, but there's nothing to support that except his own assertion.
Somehow this makes me think of one of my favorite Gahan Wilson cartoons. It has a fat, fabulously well-dressed, clearly self-confident rich guy in the back of a car being driven by a tiny little, cringey chauffeur. The rich guy is asking the chauffeur, "What's your honest opinion, James?"
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 02:07 PM   #52
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I can see why
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2019, 09:45 PM   #53
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Somehow this makes me think of one of my favorite Gahan Wilson cartoons. It has a fat, fabulously well-dressed, clearly self-confident rich guy in the back of a car being driven by a tiny little, cringey chauffeur. The rich guy is asking the chauffeur, "What's your honest opinion, James?"
Not sure about the Gahan Wilson, but I remember a cartoon from the late 60s in the New Yorker. Fat cats in the lounge car of one of the commuter rail lines. Fat Cat 1 is waving a news story at Fat Cat 2, who is saying to the waiter, who's dressed as Uncle Ben might be,.... "So, Thomas? What do you think of this "black power" thing?"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events