ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th March 2018, 12:40 PM   #1
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Bridge collapse in Florida

Not sure how many casualties, yet, but a newly erected footbridge has collapsed across a duel carriageway. There will be some structural engineers panicking tonight, and checking their calculations for the 27th time.

BBC

The article says it was a cable-suspension bridge, but there were no signs of it being anything other than a truss, so I wonder if it was in a part-built state. Nonetheless, someone will have calculated that it was strong enough to span in the condition it was in.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.

Last edited by MikeG; 15th March 2018 at 12:44 PM.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 12:43 PM   #2
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

CNN says multiple casualties. It was installed last Saturday.
Old 15th March 2018, 12:50 PM   #3
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Not sure how many casualties, yet, but a newly erected footbridge has collapsed across a duel carriageway. There will be some structural engineers panicking tonight, and checking their calculations for the 27th time.

BBC

The article says it was a cable-suspension bridge, but there were no signs of it being anything other than a truss, so I wonder if it was in a part-built state. Nonetheless, someone will have calculated that it was strong enough to span in the condition it was in.
No it shows a video of it being lifted into place and put on the supports at the ends. No actual construction of the span on site.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 12:52 PM   #4
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
...... It was installed last Saturday.

The main body of the bridge was, yes, but they were definitely still working on it. I'd love to know what the final design was going to be. Was this structurally complete, and they were just doing handrails and lights, that sort of thing, or was there some other major engineering yet to be put in place. It does seem a bit odd that there wasn't support in the middle, in the dead space between the two carriageways.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 12:54 PM   #5
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
No it shows a video of it being lifted into place and put on the supports at the ends. No actual construction of the span on site.
Except that video says it was to be a suspension bridge...which it certainly wasn't at the time of collapse. Someone somewhere has got their wires crossed.
Old 15th March 2018, 01:02 PM   #6
GodMark2
Master Poster

The images I can find are either of the destroyed state, in-construction pictures, or possible mock-ups for articles like "MCM Awarded the FIU Pedestrian Bridge". The potential mock-ups all show a cable-stayed bridge, the rubble is unclear.

Could there have been a design decision partway through the process that contributed?
Old 15th March 2018, 01:05 PM   #7
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Yep, they all show a central tower which hadn't been built, and cables from that to the main truss. When you see those the reason for the slightly odd truss design becomes obvious.
Old 15th March 2018, 01:06 PM   #8
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by GodMark2 View Post
The images I can find are either of the destroyed state, in-construction pictures, or possible mock-ups for articles like "MCM Awarded the FIU Pedestrian Bridge". The potential mock-ups all show a cable-stayed bridge, the rubble is unclear.

Could there have been a design decision partway through the process that contributed?
The video of the bridge as it was installed was a truss though.

https://twitter.com/FIU/status/972529770683564033
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 01:16 PM   #9
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Yeah, ponderingturtle, that was just the lower part of the structure:

So clearly there was a lot of structural work left to do, including building the tower and attaching the cables.

Last edited by MikeG; 15th March 2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 15th March 2018, 01:23 PM   #10
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I just saw live helicopter scenes in close-up. There are many cars underneath which are totally pancaked. I don't think that any occupants could be alive and also cannot even be seen. Like an industrial car crusher.

I can't imagine that the casualties are below ten.
Old 15th March 2018, 01:36 PM   #11
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
This thing was at an intersection, so several cars were just sitting at a stoplight under it, when it when down. From different views I've seen, there are 6 to 8 cars completely crushed under the rubble, and a couple more that were half way under it. Not to make it a guessing game, but I'd say at least a dozen people killed.
Old 15th March 2018, 01:39 PM   #12
crescent
Illuminator

So clearly there was a lot of structural work left to do, including building the tower and attaching the cables.
It seems odd to me that they removed the scaffolding support from underneath it before they even built the tower that the cables would attach.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 01:42 PM   #13
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
It seems odd to me that they removed the scaffolding support from underneath it before they even built the tower that the cables would attach.
Someone forgot a decimal point or a memo on this one..................

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 01:49 PM   #14
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

ABC reported that a stress test was being done when it collapsed.

Wouldn't they stop traffic for that?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 01:51 PM   #15
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Just as an aside, it would have looked so much more attractive with a gentle curve on the truss, rather than a straight parallel structure.
Old 15th March 2018, 01:58 PM   #16
EventHorizon
Atheist Tergiversator

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
ABC reported that a stress test was being done when it collapsed.

Wouldn't they stop traffic for that?
Wow. If that's true that's unbelievable.

Seems this bridge was being constructed using a new Accelerated Bridge Construction method. Now I don't want to jump to conclusions but...

Anyway, here are some articles and a fact sheet about the bridge:

https://news.fiu.edu/2018/03/communi...-street/120395

http://communitynewspapers.com/flori...gs-into-place/

https://news.fiu.edu/wp-content/uplo...18_DIGITAL.pdf
Old 15th March 2018, 02:08 PM   #17
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Munilla Construction company (MCM), a family-owned contractor that helped build the bridge, tweeted "thoughts and prayers" for those affected by the tragedy.
I'm sure that makes the bereaved feel SO much better.
Old 15th March 2018, 02:11 PM   #18
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

MCM seem to have taken their website down. Unless it was a design-and-build job, or they didn't build what and how they were told to build by the structural engineers, I wouldn't have thought they were the prime culprit.
Old 15th March 2018, 02:12 PM   #19
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Smells to me they opened the bridge for traffic way too early.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 15th March 2018 at 02:13 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 02:13 PM   #20
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
One of our engineers at work..who has designed smaller scale foot bridges,says this screams of either a contractor using borderline materials or rushed constructin methods. TO mess up the basic desing on a foot bridge would be really hard,it's not parituclary tricky.
It's a pedestrian bridge and it was not due to open for a long time yet.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 02:15 PM   #21
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

(Admitted total spitballing) Or traffic opened itself way early. I've seen plenty of people drive around railroad guards, orange cones, barriers, flood waters. One person deciding they weren't going to wait and the Lemming effect taking over isn't completely impossible.

But yeah much more likely if the traffic was supposed to be stopped it wasn't.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 02:25 PM   #22
Giz
Philosopher

Just as an aside, it would have looked so much more attractive with a gentle curve on the truss, rather than a straight parallel structure.
Yes, the design is a bit of a let down.
Giz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 02:28 PM   #23
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

It wasn't open. there was a large element of the structure not even started. There were workmen on the top when it collapsed.
Old 15th March 2018, 02:43 PM   #24
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
(Admitted total spitballing) Or traffic opened itself way early. I've seen plenty of people drive around railroad guards, orange cones, barriers, flood waters. One person deciding they weren't going to wait and the Lemming effect taking over isn't completely impossible.

But yeah much more likely if the traffic was supposed to be stopped it wasn't.

It was a pedestrian bridge. There wasn't going to be anyone driving on it even when it was finished.

Which it wasn't.

There was no way for anyone to drive on it even if they wanted to try. No way for a car to get on it.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 02:44 PM   #25
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post

Seems this bridge was being constructed using a new Accelerated Bridge Construction method. Now I don't want to jump to conclusions but...
It grieves me to reference a tweet here, but this one is very interesting, and along those lines.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 02:45 PM   #26
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
It was a pedestrian bridge. There wasn't going to be anyone driving on it even when it was finished.

Which it wasn't.

There was no way for anyone to drive on it even if they wanted to try. No way for a car to get on it.
I was thinking vehicle traffic under the bridge during load testing.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 02:47 PM   #27
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

One of the tweets in that link says an eye witness said the truss itself didn't collapse, it was one of the end supports.
Old 15th March 2018, 02:54 PM   #28
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Which it wasn't.

In point of fact I don't think there was an easy way for pedestrians to get on it either - it looks like the ends, including the ramps needed by people to access the bridge, weren't built yet.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 02:56 PM   #29
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Here's my way too early spitballing.

The section which they had set in place was supposed to have sufficient structural integrity to support itself while the remainder of the structure was put in place. Apparently this was going to be more than merely a footbridge, but also a gathering place, etc. The anticipated load of lots of people at once (among the largest loads you can put on a structure not intended for heavy equipment) is what necessitated the cable supports which had not been erected yet.

There was a failure, I'm thinking something to do with the concrete. I'd like to know more about how it was reinforced, though. The failure was somewhere around the area where the section of the bridge at an angle (opposite side of the road from the canal) is resting on the ground.

When it failed it pulled the other end of the bridge section off of the pier supporting it, and the entire length in between simply dropped flat.

There are a number of good still shots of the wreckage in this ABC report.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 03:02 PM   #30
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I was thinking vehicle traffic under the bridge during load testing.

I'm a bit leery of the "load testing" comment. It has the smell of a comment perhaps not properly understood by the reporter. I'm not sure what sort of significant load testing of the entire section of structure would be done so far before the actual primary support system for the bridge was put into place.

But the entire plan was to enable traffic flow underneath the bridge section except for the few hours when it was being set into place. Traffic had been travelling under it for days already.

Old 15th March 2018, 03:06 PM   #31
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It wasn't open. there was a large element of the structure not even started. There were workmen on the top when it collapsed.
I feel stupid for having missed that.

But I would say that the contruction firm is in some real deep kimchee,though...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 03:07 PM   #32
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

One of the tweets in that link says an eye witness said the truss itself didn't collapse, it was one of the end supports.

The photos in the article I linked to seem to show the support piers on both ends still in place. One end with the bridge section still resting on it, and the other standing free where the section pulled away from it.

Old 15th March 2018, 03:08 PM   #33
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
In point of fact I don't think there was an easy way for pedestrians to get on it either - it looks like the ends, including the ramps needed by people to access the bridge, weren't built yet.

Exactly. They were getting onto it by way of scaffolding around the support piers on either end.

Old 15th March 2018, 03:21 PM   #34
Stankeye
Critical Thinker

The photos in the article I linked to seem to show the support piers on both ends still in place. One end with the bridge section still resting on it, and the other standing free where the section pulled away from it.
The support near the "river" water way looks like it is angled towards the water now. It looks like the soil may have gave way on that support and allowed the support column to lean and then the walkway to fall.
Stankeye is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 03:47 PM   #35
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I feel stupid for having missed that.

But I would say that the contruction firm is in some real deep kimchee,though...

They'll certainly be in the path of any lawsuits, regardless of culpability, but it's a bit early in the process to assume that they actually did anything wrong.

There's a lot about this that has the earmarks of design or materials failure, neither of which would necessarily be their fault.

ETA: It occurred to me that I might be using language which is more specific than you intended.

To me, "the construction firm" suggests the company doing the actual building of the structure. They may be, but are usually not the same as the firm which did the structural design, or the architectural design, or is managing the overall project. And they would rarely if ever be the ones supplying the building materials, although they might have some input into the selection of whoever does.

A similar pedestrian bridge failure happened back in 2000 at the Lowes Motor Speedway near Charlotte NC.

The bridge, which spanned the busy U.S. Highway 29, had been in place and was being used for around five years. The failure was sudden, and dumped people leaving the Speedway onto the road below. Over one hundred people were injured.

The bridge was built with prestressed double-tee members, a standard precast concrete product. The process involves putting steel cables in tension and deformed in place and then pouring concrete in the required structural shape. After the concrete is cured enough the pieces which were holding the cables in place in the proper configuration are removed through sleeves installed for that purpose. This leaves a small (~2"-3" dia.) hole in the middle of the span which needs to be filled.

For reasons which seem to remain somewhat unclear, the grout used to fill those holes contained calcium chloride, an additive which is okay under many applications but is a big time no-no in this one because of the near certainty of corrosion happening at exactly the wrong (as in "worst") point.

Over time, with exposure to weather, the cables which were the only thing providing the structural support for the double-tees corroded and failed.

I am describing this because it is an example of how the construction firm which built the pedestrian bridge had no real culpability for the bridge failure. They not only had nothing to do with the selection of the company which provided the precast, they also would have had no way of anticipating the failure which occurred.

This didn't keep them from being defendants in the ensuing lawsuits, of course.

Old 15th March 2018, 03:51 PM   #36
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Stankeye View Post
The support near the "river" water way looks like it is angled towards the water now. It looks like the soil may have gave way on that support and allowed the support column to lean and then the walkway to fall.

I'm not seeing any clear sign that it is leaning, but if it is then it could have just as easily been pushed a little bit when the bridge section came loose and slide down its side.

The pier would not have been designed to resist a great deal of lateral pressure.

And it's a canal, not a river.

Old 15th March 2018, 03:57 PM   #37
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

MCM seem to have taken their website down. Unless it was a design-and-build job, or they didn't build what and how they were told to build by the structural engineers, I wouldn't have thought they were the prime culprit.
Apparenly FIGG Engineering designed the bridge, and MCM did the actual construction.
Of course there is third possibility:MCM was using questionable,cheap building materials and then billing as if they used higher priced material..a, sadly, common scam in the building trades.
One thing for sure: MCM and probably FIGG are lawyering up right now.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th March 2018, 04:15 PM   #38
Stankeye
Critical Thinker

I'm not seeing any clear sign that it is leaning, but if it is then it could have just as easily been pushed a little bit when the bridge section came loose and slide down its side.

The pier would not have been designed to resist a great deal of lateral pressure.

And it's a canal, not a river.
It definitely seems to be that end of the bridge that came off the support.

From this picture. It is difficult to determine how much engagement the bridge end had with the support column. Since they were using that column for the next section of bridge over the canal then by rights they would have placed this section of bridge inside of center-line of the column.

Maybe they did not get the alignment correct or possibly the concrete on the edge failed, but I have not seen any pictures with any concrete failure indication. Again if the support column shifted outward the bridge would fall, but as you say it is difficult to see any column shift, and I may have just seen an oblique angle that gave that impression.
Stankeye is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 04:31 PM   #39
Stankeye
Critical Thinker

I've rethought it. It is also possible that the bridge span failed somewhere which as it sagged would pull the canal end section off its column as that end of the bridge would not be fixed until they had set the canal section of the bridge.
Old 15th March 2018, 04:36 PM   #40
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post

I gotta wonder what impact this has on the teaching at the university, whose campus this bridge was designed to connect. They advocated this very method.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events