ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags celebrity opinions

Old 26th April 2019, 03:19 PM   #81
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
Their audience has an imaginary relationship with the celebrity? That is concerning.
Not really. I think it is more of a one way relationship, not imaginary.

I listen to a podcast by a guy who shares many of my likes and dislikes. I find over time that stuff he recommends is good. If he recommends a movie I am more likely to go see it in the theater, if he recommends an album I'm more likely to buy it. If he recommended that I go on some website to cheat on my wife, I would disregard that particular advice.

So, I feel like I know him, or at lest the version of him he is publicizing, pretty well. But he doesn't know me at all. It is a very one way relationship, but it is not imaginary at all.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2019, 08:36 AM   #82
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Yep and why aids research should never be such a cause as it is political. See all the rage against lack of aids research and Reagan as a clear example.

So sick kids OK, kids in cages way to political for any celebrity.

Aids research was never political. That the Reagan administration politicized homophobia and therefore did nothing against aids doesn't make aids research political.
Trump ought to be more sympathetic to aids research since his beloved Roy Cohn was killed by aids. But since Republicans aren't related to any caged children, they don't seem to mind about those.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 06:04 PM   #83
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Not really. I think it is more of a one way relationship, not imaginary.

I listen to a podcast by a guy who shares many of my likes and dislikes. I find over time that stuff he recommends is good. If he recommends a movie I am more likely to go see it in the theater, if he recommends an album I'm more likely to buy it. If he recommended that I go on some website to cheat on my wife, I would disregard that particular advice.

So, I feel like I know him, or at lest the version of him he is publicizing, pretty well. But he doesn't know me at all. It is a very one way relationship, but it is not imaginary at all.
George Hrab talks regularly about this one-way relationship he has with his audience. Not sure if that's who you are referring to, but he's a pretty good example.
Old 28th April 2019, 08:50 PM   #84
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
In the news in Australia we have one Israel Folau, (a rugby champ), getting a lot of attention, as a result of expressing intolerant, religiously inspired, views about homosexuals and such. Simultaneously we have Anthony Mundine, (ex boxer), talking up anti vaccination.

I wonder why people give a damn what these guys views are on these topics. It annoys the crap out of me that it gets reported. Does being a rugby player or a boxer give a guy some special insight into these issues? These uninformed and bigoted views are not news.
As to the thread title, the celebrity, at least some of his/her family, his/her manager(s), people who have a financial attachment to the celebrity otherwise, people who have an emotional attachment to the celebrity, people who make money due to the presence/activities/performances of the celebrity.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2019, 03:13 PM   #85
Thor 2
Philosopher

Well Folau has been kicked out of the team finally.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-...posts/11090938

He is unrepentant:

Quote:
"The Christian faith has always been a part of my life and I believe it is my duty as a Christian to share God's word."
His duty as a Christian to openly show hatred towards gays, atheists and so on. No doubt the hangers on who think his words are gems, will raise their voices in unison in condemnation of the authorities.
Old 17th May 2019, 06:55 PM   #86
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

He is unrepentant:
His duty as a Christian to openly show hatred towards gays, atheists and so on. No doubt the hangers on who think his words are gems, will raise their voices in unison in condemnation of the authorities.
I often, for laughs, look to see what the other side say. Not a good case.
https://www.acl.org.au/mr_nat_folau5#splash-signup

Quote:
“Today’s announcement by Rugby Australia not only marginalises and silences a large portion of Australians who hold to the same belief as Folau, but all Christian rugby players are now being told their beliefs are incompatible with the sport they play.”

“Israel Folau’s conduct amounts to mere speech – he has done nothing criminal, he has not publicly disgraced himself, and he has not mistreated anyone. Rugby Australia’s penalty is high handed, inconsistent, and anti-Christian.”
This is factually inaccurate. The only Christian rugby players who will be impacted by this are the ones who agree with him. I have not heard any statements of support by the players of Folau. So this statement is rubbish.

He has mistreated people. That is anyone who is in a minority group.
Old 19th May 2019, 03:06 PM   #87
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I often, for laughs, look to see what the other side say. Not a good case.
https://www.acl.org.au/mr_nat_folau5#splash-signup

This is factually inaccurate. The only Christian rugby players who will be impacted by this are the ones who agree with him. I have not heard any statements of support by the players of Folau. So this statement is rubbish.

He has mistreated people. That is anyone who is in a minority group.

Yes indeed, a well balanced article.

The Christians really know how to mis-represent the facts:

".... all Christian rugby players are now being told their beliefs are incompatible with the sport they play."

No, their beliefs are incompatible with those of most of the caring, compassionate, folk in our community. They should shut up and play the game. In a Christian manner if they like .... if this can be defined.
Old 20th May 2019, 08:07 AM   #88
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

He is unrepentant:

Somebody should tell the team not to take celebrity opinions so seriously.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 02:39 PM   #89
Thor 2
Philosopher

Hard to make sense of this. What team? ....... Maybe it's in code.
Old 20th May 2019, 09:08 PM   #90
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Folau's words certainly echoed in these blokes' heads. Not saying that's where the idea came from, but it shows how dangerous idiotic Levitican beliefs are: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12232937
Old 21st May 2019, 04:22 PM   #91
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Folau's words certainly echoed in these blokes' heads. Not saying that's where the idea came from, but it shows how dangerous idiotic Levitican beliefs are: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12232937

Scary stuff indeed!

If this happened in Queensland a few years ago those thugs would have the "Gay Panic" defence law at their disposal if they were charged. We have come a long way since the time when poofter bashing was cool. Unfortunately it is still cool in some parts of the world.
Old 22nd May 2019, 04:17 AM   #92
3point14
Pi

Are rugby shirts made of mixed cloth?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 07:08 AM   #93
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

I suspect it isn't the team as much as the team's management.

And not the celebrity's opinion as much as the advertisers.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 11:01 AM   #94
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Are rugby shirts made of mixed cloth?
More importantly, do they wear those soccer-player bras under them?

That would be pretty gay.
Old 22nd May 2019, 11:05 AM   #95
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's a simple substitution cipher. Replace "team" with "union" and the meaning should become clear.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 03:00 PM   #96
Thor 2
Philosopher

It's a simple substitution cipher. Replace "team" with "union" and the meaning should become clear.

Nah ....... still don't get it. I will keep trying however as I am sure there is something really, really, deep buried in these words.
Old 22nd May 2019, 03:06 PM   #97
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I suspect it isn't the team as much as the team's management.

And not the celebrity's opinion as much as the advertisers.

Perhaps surprisingly I wonder at the wisdom and effectiveness, of this kind of heavy handed discipline. Ridicule may be more effective I think. Let's all point to this Israel Folau dude and have a good belly laugh.
Old 22nd May 2019, 03:34 PM   #98
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Perhaps surprisingly I wonder at the wisdom and effectiveness, of this kind of heavy handed discipline. Ridicule may be more effective I think. Let's all point to this Israel Folau dude and have a good belly laugh.
And have the major sponsor walk?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2019, 02:22 PM   #99
Thor 2
Philosopher

Further developments in the Israel Folau saga.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...d1ac8e6091cb11

So Israel's dad has stopped him from making a deal by telling him, Israel, that he is going to Hell if he does this now.

These guys really play hardball don't they? No pussyfooting around just hit him with the big one! I wonder how Folau's fans will react to their hero being bossed around by his pop like that? Think he will lose some prestige maybe?
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:08 AM   #100
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Further developments in the Israel Folau saga.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...d1ac8e6091cb11

So Israel's dad has stopped him from making a deal by telling him, Israel, that he is going to Hell if he does this now.

These guys really play hardball don't they? No pussyfooting around just hit him with the big one! I wonder how Folau's fans will react to their hero being bossed around by his pop like that? Think he will lose some prestige maybe?
That is behind a paywall. This is not https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...5ce56f9819b93e

I think if you do something wrong, but maintain what you have done is not wrong then that is something even worse.
Old 3rd June 2019, 03:08 PM   #101
Thor 2
Philosopher

That is behind a paywall. This is not https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...5ce56f9819b93e

I think if you do something wrong, but maintain what you have done is not wrong then that is something even worse.

Thanks for that rjh. I think Israel Folau's list of eight go to Hell qualifications, are inspirational. I can put a tick against four of them.
Old 3rd June 2019, 06:09 PM   #102
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I agree.
Old 21st June 2019, 05:57 PM   #103
Thor 2
Philosopher

Well Folau is in the news again, being slammed by one of his former team mates for greed.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the article, you will see him giving his take on the ins and outs of homosexuality - taking over the World it seems. He conflates homosexuality with transgender in his sweeping condemnation.

A public speaker this guy is not. He can hardly string two words together in a coherent way. Even so, some who admire him, hang on his words as inspirational it would seem. Sure beats me.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-...fight/11233698
Old 21st June 2019, 07:13 PM   #104
Myles
Thinker

Celebrityism

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I didn't mean that we should forcefully end it. I just wonder what it would take for enough people to finally "get it" and move away from it. It's probably impossible.

But then some people like myself have no interest in celebrities. I don't think they or anyone else are worthy of being idolized. So it is possible for people to think the whole thing is stupid, just not enough people do. There are too many stupid people.

People made Paris Hilton a celebrity, so I don't see that any progress can be made anytime soon. Every time a Rosie O'Donnell or a Scott Baio, Madonna, DeNiro, Samuel L open their mouth about social or political issues you just know they're going to say something stupid. It should be enough to convince people but it isn't.

The fact that people can sit through ten minutes of commercials that insult their intelligence just so they can watch twenty minutes of "Third Rock" says it all to me.
Some background first. I don’t fawn over celebrities but I can’t help but take interest when a story erupts involving one. I grew up with FM radio stations who played music and rarely mentioned the artist, much less the name of the song. I always considered the message over the messenger and was fine with that.

Once upon a time there were female models (of clothing and such). Lots of attractive young females aspired to be one. Soon there were so many that the term “supermodel” was created.

I remember cringing when during one of Farrah Abraham’s run-ins with the law she identified herself as a “celebrity”. This woman was placed on TV only because she got knocked up while a teenager.

So my question is, will we someday have to create the term “supercelebrity” to distinguish the talent from the trash or has it been done already?
Myles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2019, 09:43 PM   #105
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Here in the United States of America, we call our former B-list celebrities "Mr. President".
Old 21st June 2019, 09:48 PM   #106
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Well Folau is in the news again, being slammed by one of his former team mates for greed.
And rightly so - excellent riposte to him going begging.

Also, I see Folau has $5M+ in investment property, so it's pretty cynical of him to beg money for lawyers.

At least only christians will donate.
Old 22nd June 2019, 01:15 AM   #107
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Here in the United States of America, we call our former B-list celebrities "Mr. President".

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2019, 05:18 AM   #108
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

He is now trying to raise $2 million to help pay for his legal action. The shocking thing is that he already has raised $592,525 from 7728 people in 3 days.

Edit. This is via a gofundme page.

Last edited by rjh01; 22nd June 2019 at 05:19 AM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2019, 02:16 PM   #109
Thor 2
Philosopher

And rightly so - excellent riposte to him going begging.

Also, I see Folau has $5M+ in investment property, so it's pretty cynical of him to beg money for lawyers.

At least only christians will donate.

Well that cuts the numbers down I suppose. I imagine his stance may strike a cord with some non theistic homophobes however.
Old 23rd June 2019, 02:25 PM   #110
Thor 2
Philosopher

He is now trying to raise $2 million to help pay for his legal action. The shocking thing is that he already has raised $592,525 from 7728 people in 3 days.

Edit. This is via a gofundme page.

Yes that is disturbing. Disturbing that many seem to align themselves with his stance and donate.
Old 23rd June 2019, 06:18 PM   #111
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Good. Bloody. Job!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...page-shut-down

Pass the plate at your ******* church, you complete twat.
Old 23rd June 2019, 10:36 PM   #112
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Good. Bloody. Job!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...page-shut-down

Pass the plate at your ******* church, you complete twat.
Great news.

Israel should have a heap of money as he would be living a modest, devout Christian lifestyle chock full of denial and sacrifice..........

Who am I kidding.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2019, 11:47 PM   #113
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I wonder why people give a damn what these guys views are on these topics. It annoys the crap out of me that it gets reported. Does being a rugby player or a boxer give a guy some special insight into these issues? These uninformed and bigoted views are not news.
It is more Folau's subsequent dismissal from the Wallabies and his GoFundMe campaign that has kept him in the news.

When your job puts you in the public eye, you have a duty to avoid making public comments that might reflect badly on your employer.
Old 24th June 2019, 01:51 AM   #114
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Israel should have a heap of money as he would be living a modest, devout Christian lifestyle chock full of denial and sacrifice..........
Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.

Matthew 19:24
Old 24th June 2019, 01:52 AM   #115
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.

Pretty tough to reconcile his Lamborghini with the Old Testament....

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 24th June 2019, 07:41 AM   #116
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

At which the rich people built themselves a giant needle with a huge eye that camels could easily walk through.

What's the point of being rich if you can't use it for your own advantage?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2019, 01:37 PM   #117
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

At which the rich people built themselves a giant needle with a huge eye that camels could easily walk through.
Arguing against the son of god's own metaphor only works if you have a "Saint" in front of your name.

What's the point of being rich if you can't use it for your own advantage?
Nothing wrong with being rich, but being rich and christian is hypocrisy. I'd even go as far as saying it's blasphemous, because you can only have both if you repudiate the verbal statement of your actual god, after whom the entire religion is named.

Despite outward appearances, even the pope knows this.
Old 24th June 2019, 03:45 PM   #118
Thor 2
Philosopher

And so it goes on, the Australian Christian Lobby have put their hands in their pockets for poor Folau:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-...nding/11242558

Quote:
Israel Folau has received a $100,000 donation from the Australian Christian Lobby (ACL) in response to GoFundMe's decision to cancel his crowdfunding campaign.

The ACL said it hoped to amplify the voice of what they call "quiet Australians" by helping Folau.
"There is an outpouring of support for Israel Folau from the Australian community, who see Israel's case as their case," ACL managing director, Martyn Iles said.
"They feel the pinch of political correctness and the erosion of their basic freedoms."
Distressing that. The Christians are losing their "basic freedoms" to spew their hate filled message to the World.
Old 24th June 2019, 04:04 PM   #119
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
It is more Folau's subsequent dismissal from the Wallabies and his GoFundMe campaign that has kept him in the news.

When your job puts you in the public eye, you have a duty to avoid making public comments that might reflect badly on your employer.

Missed the point again psion.

Folau is "in the news" because he plays rugby well, and has chosen to share his hate filled, bigoted, religiously inspired views with us. There are some who think his views are an inspiration because .... well .... he can kick a football. Our Prime Minister is one of the aforementioned it would seem.

There would be some more accepting and progressive Christians, who don't agree with Folau and good for them. There may be others however, who were on the path to acceptance, but now find Folau's words compelling because ... well .... he can kick a football. That's the issue.
Old 24th June 2019, 04:26 PM   #120
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Missed the point again psion.
Not at all.

A few years ago, former tennis great Margaret Court also publicly expressed similar views and made news briefly because of it. The difference is that she is retired from tennis (she is now a pastor) and didn't have a tennis association to go to war over. So the controversy was quickly over. If her tennis career in the 1960s hadn't been as stellar as it was, it is doubtful that she would have rated more than a byline in the press.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events