ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th July 2019, 11:43 AM   #721
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
I doubt it. My suspicion is that the dynamic duo is just repeating talking points out of the latest edition of the Hasbara handbook while hoping not to get called out over it.
Scratch a commie, find an antisemite.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 11:44 AM   #722
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You find those under quite a few ideologies, and you needn't scratch very hard.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 12:22 PM   #723
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Quite possibly, but the fact that that single passage is all I could find that even tangentially refers to this issue sort of points out how weak this talking point really is.

True, and you explained well why they think they can get away with it:

The essential problem here is that the GOPers have decided that this deal should have required a hard commitment by Iran to stop supporting terrorism in addition to everything else it was intended to do, and have decided to just pretend that it did, in fact, do that. They're simply uncomfortable with the notion of a piecemeal advancement of relations with Iran, and would rather torpedo these advancements entirely instead of doing the real work needed to engage with Iran.
Old 9th July 2019, 12:23 PM   #724
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

Wow, that came totally unpredictably. I'm shocked!
Old 10th July 2019, 08:00 AM   #725
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Iran has long been secretly “enriching,” in total violation of the terrible 150 Billion Dollar deal made by John Kerry and the Obama Administration. Remember, that deal was to expire in a short number of years. Sanctions will soon be increased, substantially!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 03:17 PM   #726
Michel H
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Iran has long been secretly “enriching,” in total violation of the terrible 150 Billion Dollar deal made by John Kerry and the Obama Administration. Remember, that deal was to expire in a short number of years. Sanctions will soon be increased, substantially!
Jerusalem Post's reaction to this tweet (with Reuters):
Quote:
While Iran was found to have had covert enrichment sites long before the nuclear accord, the 2015 deal imposed the most intrusive nuclear supervision on Iran of any country, and there has been no serious suggestion Iran is secretly enriching now in a way that would hint at an effort to develop a nuclear weapon.
Trump's allegation about covert enrichment was met with derision by diplomats who follow the IAEA. "That tweet kills me," one diplomat at the meeting said in a sign of exasperation.
(link: https://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/...ntially-595227)
Actually, in this conflict, perhaps the only person who might need to be "sanctioned" is Trump himself. Being the president of a powerful country doesn't give license to permanently behave like an imbecile.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 07:36 PM   #727
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

And in today's "Oh Jesus Christ!" Moment, I've just found out about this piece of brilliance:

Quote:
The Iranian regime took action today to increase its uranium enrichment. It was a mistake under the Iran nuclear deal to allow Iran to enrich uranium at any level. There is little doubt that even before the deal’s existence, Iran was violating its terms.
Who said it? Go on, guess.

Those Persian Bastards, violating a deal before it even existed!
Old 10th July 2019, 07:46 PM   #728
EHocking
Philosopher

And in today's "Oh Jesus Christ!" Moment, I've just found out about this piece of brilliance:

Who said it? Go on, guess.

Those Persian Bastards, violating a deal before it even existed!
This is one of the most illogical sentences I’ve ever read but to be expected from this White House.
There is little doubt that even before the deal’s existence, Iran was violating its terms.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 11:10 AM   #729
Mader Levap
Muse

Hey, deals should be enforceable retroactively!
Old 13th July 2019, 04:05 AM   #730
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You're telling me what the deal claims. I'm asking how the claim is enforced.

Also, there's a lot more to building a nuclear arsenal than just having the uranium.

How does the deal curb that stuff? How does it stop the Iranians from putting it all together? How does it stop the Iranians from ramping up enrichment whenever they want?

Remember, this deal was supposed to curb Iranian support for terrorism, which it completely failed to do. Why should we have faith in any of its other clauses?
Iranian support for proxy wars would be more accurate. It's a common way of expanding your regional influence these days.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events