ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th June 2019, 02:28 AM   #161
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
They didn't use the lifeboat because they were taken off by another ship, that is stated in the post you quoted.
The description suggests the saw the "object," decided to abandon ship, and then transferred to the other vessel. If it was that urgent, why didn't they use the lifeboats?
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 02:31 AM   #162
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

They may have used one of the other boats.
In addition to the lifeboat there will be a rigged 'SOLAS' Rescue boat. This is a large 'RIB' rigged ready to be launched in a controlled way to rescue people in the water or for general duties.You need to ask the skipper.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 09:58 AM   #163
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
The description suggests the saw the "object," decided to abandon ship, and then transferred to the other vessel. If it was that urgent, why didn't they use the lifeboats?
The Americans told them not to use the lifeboats, obviously.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 10:47 AM   #164
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Eight hours in which the USN didn't manage to a) get better pictures of the "object," or b) recover it themselves.

Riiiiggghht...
You say that like the USN was right there from the start. But they weren't. And I doubt the USN has released all the pictures they have, they probably have priorities other than satisfying your conspiracy theories.

Furthermore, many limpet mines have anti-tampering features to make them explode if you attempt to remove them. We don't know what this one was like, but neither would the USN. They would have to treat it as if it did have such features whether or not it actually did, which means removal would be difficult and time-consuming even if you had trained bomb disposal personnel available (and we don't know that they did). But whoever placed the mine would know if it had such features, and how to work around them if they did, so they could do so quickly.

Which is what the Iranians did. Go figure.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 11:17 AM   #165
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

The other vessel, the Dutch rescue vessel, was already right there. It was the Dutch vessel that first alerted them to the object. Why bother with the lifeboats if there's another large ship already right there waiting to take evacuees?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 11:27 AM   #166
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The other vessel, the Dutch rescue vessel, was already right there. It was the Dutch vessel that first alerted them to the object. Why bother with the lifeboats if there's another large ship already right there waiting to take evacuees?

Plus, they didn't have to rush. They knew the mine wouldn't explode until its large red LED numbers counted down to 007.
Old 15th June 2019, 12:56 PM   #167
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's weird how quickly the switch can flip from "skeptic" to "conspiracy theorist".

Info Analyst, what's your claim here, exactly?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 02:33 PM   #168
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post

To get to the Dutch vessel, mebbe?

If the Dutch already thought there was an unexploded mine on a tanker full of flammables they may not have wanted to get right up beside it.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 02:39 PM   #169
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post

If the Dutch already thought there was an unexploded mine on a tanker full of flammables they may not have wanted to get right up beside it.
So they went to the port side?

Quote:
At 11:05 a.m. local time USS Bainbridge approaches the Dutch tug Coastal Ace, which had rescued the crew of twenty-one sailors from the M/T Kokuka Courageous who had abandoned their ship after discovering probable unexploded limpet mine on their hull following an initial explosion.
https://dod.defense.gov/News/Special...videoid=689676
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 02:39 PM   #170
Checkmite

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post

They would probably want to use the fast motorized tenders to evacuate people as quickly as possible rather than bothering to launch a lifeboat.

The specifics don't really matter; with another safe vessel immediately at hand, there were obviously multiple options for evacuating the ship and the captain decided not to use the lifeboats. How this is supposed to be some kind of smoking gun that proves the whole thing a lie, I'm still waiting to see explained.

Last edited by Checkmite; 15th June 2019 at 02:40 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 11:23 PM   #171
EHocking
Philosopher

According to Reuters, the tug rescued them from the tanker’s lifeboat.

ETA : they then transferred to the USS Bainbridge. On Friday they returned to the Kokuka Courageous to help it to be towed.

The crew of the Front Altair arrived in UAE from Iran on Saturday.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 15th June 2019 at 11:56 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 11:31 PM   #172
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Lol, imagine thinking this was done by Iran.
Old 16th June 2019, 12:33 AM   #173
Doubt
Philosopher

"According to our assessment, a modified Iranian SA-7 surface-to-air missile attempted to shoot down a U.S. MQ-9, at 6:45 a.m. local time, June 13, over the Gulf of Oman, to disrupt surveillance of the IRGC attack on the M/T Kokuka Courageous," CENTCOM spokesperson Lt. Col. Earl Brown said in a statement to ABC News on Saturday.

https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=63740229

Note the SA-7 is a very old, very small, short ranged anti aircraft missile. The Fox news version of this story indicates that it was fired from shore. Something not right there.

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2019, 01:38 AM   #174
Checkmite

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
According to Reuters, the tug rescued them from the tanker’s lifeboat.
Well, there you go I suppose.
Old 16th June 2019, 03:29 AM   #175
JihadJane
not a camel

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
Lol, imagine thinking this was done by Iran.
LOL. Imagine thinking the US would try to start a war on false pretences!
Old 16th June 2019, 03:37 AM   #176
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
LOL. Imagine thinking the US would try to start a war on false pretences!
That's the problem they have now.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2019, 05:11 AM   #177
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
"According to our assessment, a modified Iranian SA-7 surface-to-air missile attempted to shoot down a U.S. MQ-9, at 6:45 a.m. local time, June 13, over the Gulf of Oman, to disrupt surveillance of the IRGC our attack on the M/T Kokuka Courageous," CENTCOM spokesperson Lt. Col. Earl Brown said in a statement to ABC News on Saturday.

FTFY

There we have our "flying object". Amazing that they now admit to have had a combat drone there while "it" happened. Didn't they say it was a mine? And that the IRGC removed a non-exploded mine later, in their grainy video? Where's the "attack" video? Sorry, the Iranian missile we just made up ate it.

A constant stream of BS. Do they really think anybody still believes them?

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 16th June 2019 at 05:29 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2019, 05:25 AM   #178
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Tehran Summons British Ambassador over UK’s Unfounded Allegations

Originally Posted by FARS NEWS
[...] Mahmoud Barimani, who serves as Ministerial Aide and Head of the Europe Department of the Iranian Foreign Ministry, said he had asked Macaire during the meeting to explain or revise the “unacceptable position” adopted by the British government on the issue.

Barimani said such postures were a main reason why Britain was facing increased popular discontent inside the country and around the world.

“The popular reactions against Britain are because of such approaches of the country which support the unfounded claims of the American officials in various cases,” said Barimani.

“We remind the British government of the necessity to revise its approach and to adopt realistic positions based on the realities of Islamic Republic of Iran’s policies,” he added.

The Iranian diplomat added that during the Thursday closed session of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC), no one except the UK followed the US. [...]

Pathetic. I'm glad that "my" foreign minister at least said that the BS so far presented is "not enough" to make a final assessment. If the criminals in Washington put enough pressure on the weakling he will of course fall over, but hey, kudos.
Old 16th June 2019, 05:36 AM   #179
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
FTFY

There we have our "flying object". Amazing that they now admit to have had a combat drone there while "it" happened. Didn't they say it was a mine? And that the IRGC removed a non-exploded mine later, in their grainy video? Where's the "attack" video? Sorry, the Iranian missile we just made up ate it.

I wonder how you think a drone can attach a limpet mine to the side of a ship.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2019, 05:40 AM   #180
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I wonder how you think a drone can attach a limpet mine to the side of a ship.

You haven't followed the thread. The mine story comes from Pompeo and cohorts, the ship owner says there were two attacks by "flying objects" the crew saw, three hours apart from each other. A US combat drone suddenly admittedly at place seems like an important puzzle piece, doesn't it?

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 16th June 2019 at 05:42 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2019, 05:52 AM   #181
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

One of the ships says there was a mine attached to the side and they abandoned ship because of it.
Why would you discount this ship's captain?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2019, 06:12 AM   #182
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
One of the ships says there was a mine attached to the side and they abandoned ship because of it.
Why would you discount this ship's captain?

Don't babble vaguely. We are talking about the Kokuka Courageous here. If you want to talk about the other ship - which by the way has a very interesting owner you might ask yourself why the Iranians would attack his fleet -, introduce your facts. And add links so we can check them.
Old 16th June 2019, 07:27 AM   #183
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

You haven't followed the thread. The mine story comes from Pompeo and cohorts, the ship owner says there were two attacks by "flying objects" the crew saw, three hours apart from each other. A US combat drone suddenly admittedly at place seems like an important puzzle piece, doesn't it?
Yeah, that totally makes sense. The US committed a false flag attack to blame the Iranians at the same time the Iranians were committing a real attack on another ship. Amazing coincidence.
Old 16th June 2019, 07:32 AM   #184
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Yeah, that totally makes sense. The US committed a false flag attack to blame the Iranians at the same time the Iranians were committing a real attack on another ship. Amazing coincidence.

Rule of so without so. Great job.
Old 16th June 2019, 08:08 AM   #185
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Don't babble vaguely. We are talking about the Kokuka Courageous here. If you want to talk about the other ship - which by the way has a very interesting owner you might ask yourself why the Iranians would attack his fleet -, introduce your facts. And add links so we can check them.
Are you saying the skipper, crew and ship that took them off are all fibbing?
Old 16th June 2019, 09:34 AM   #186
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

You know, none of these details being discussed are important. What's important is that Bolton and Trump get their war with Iran.
Old 16th June 2019, 09:54 AM   #187
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
You know, none of these details being discussed are important. What's important is that Bolton and Trump get their war with Iran.
I get the feeling that if there is no war, Trump's critics will be the hardest hit.
Old 16th June 2019, 11:10 AM   #188
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Not according to the DoD timeline.

https://dod.defense.gov/News/Special...videoid=689676

FTFY

They weren't present at the "attack" .

Quote:
U.S. Naval Forces in the region received two separate distress calls at 6:12 a.m. local time from the motor tanker (M/T) Altair and a second one at 7a.m. local time from the M/T Kokuka Courageous.

Then they sent the USS Bainbridge and presumably the drone.

Quote:
USS Bainbridge was approximately 40 nautical miles away from the M/T Altair at the time of the attack, and immediately began closing the distance.

The drone also showed this:

Quote:
At 8:09 a.m. local time a U.S. aircraft observed an IRGC Hendijan class patrol boat and multiple IRGC fast attack craft/fast inshore attack craft (FAC/FIAC) in the vicinity of the M/T Altair.

The fact that the Iranian patrol vessels were there can be corroborated by other vessels in the area including the Dutch tug Coastal Ace. Perhaps your foreign minister can ask them what happened?

Quote:
At 11:05 a.m. local time USS Bainbridge approaches the Dutch tug Coastal Ace, which had rescued the crew of twenty-one sailors from the M/T Kokuka Courageous who had abandoned their ship after discovering a probable unexploded limpet mine on their hull following an initial explosion.
Old 16th June 2019, 11:35 AM   #189
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Not according to the DoD timeline.

So the DoD contradicts the CENTCOM statement that an Iranian missile disrupted "the surveillance of the IRGC attack" on the ship, by the combat drone? Looks like you're trapped inside a constant stream of BS, as I said before. I can't see say why you would feel like defending it at this point.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 16th June 2019 at 11:39 AM. Reason: FTFM
Old 16th June 2019, 11:47 AM   #190
Checkmite

Rule of so without so. Great job.
So the DoD contradicts the CENTCOM statement that an Iranian missile disrupted "the surveillance of the IRGC attack" on the ship, by the combat drone?
Teaching by example; I approve.
Old 16th June 2019, 12:01 PM   #191
Elagabalus
Illuminator

So the DoD contradicts the CENTCOM statement that an Iranian missile disrupted "the surveillance of the IRGC attack" on the ship, by the combat drone? Looks like you're trapped inside a constant stream of BS, as I said before. I can't see say why you would feel like defending it at this point.
Not really. Why were the crew of the Kokuka Courageous on board the Dutch tug Coastal Ace? Why did they leave the ship?
Old 16th June 2019, 12:13 PM   #192
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I get the feeling that if there is no war, Trump's critics will be the hardest hit.
I can live with that.
Old 16th June 2019, 08:11 PM   #193
Doubt
Philosopher

FTFY

I don't find your narrative any more credible then the one coming from Washington.

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 01:30 AM   #194
Information Analyst
Philosopher

You say that like the USN was right there from the start. But they weren't.
Eight hours. EIGHT HOURS.

Quote:
And I doubt the USN has released all the pictures they have, they probably have priorities other than satisfying your conspiracy theories.
Cool well-poisoning, bro.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 01:31 AM   #195
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's weird how quickly the switch can flip from "skeptic" to "conspiracy theorist".

Info Analyst, what's your claim here, exactly?
Pointing out the glaring inconsistencies in the America version of events/evidence doesn't make it a conspiracy theory.
Old 17th June 2019, 01:33 AM   #196
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
"According to our assessment, a modified Iranian SA-7 surface-to-air missile attempted to shoot down a U.S. MQ-9, at 6:45 a.m. local time, June 13, over the Gulf of Oman, to disrupt surveillance of the IRGC attack on the M/T Kokuka Courageous," CENTCOM spokesperson Lt. Col. Earl Brown said in a statement to ABC News on Saturday.

https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=63740229

Note the SA-7 is a very old, very small, short ranged anti aircraft missile. The Fox news version of this story indicates that it was fired from shore. Something not right there.
Sorry, mate, you can't question such obvious inconsistencies, because that makes you a conspiracy theorist.

Move along, nothing to see, Trump's government never lies.

FFS.
Old 17th June 2019, 03:13 AM   #197
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
5 hours is extremely fast to make a full assessment, I'd say.

Not at all fast to simply lie about it - particularly for a guy who is far behind in polls, is clearly flailing about, and lies like the combover on his head, and has previously stated that his immediate predecessor would attack Iran in order to boost his sagging poll numbers.
Yea that kind of quick atribution can come back to bite you, look at Benghazi.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 03:30 AM   #198
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The risk in this situation is solely with the US.
Trump has been escalating the situation for two years, and might have backed himself into a corner now that Iran (quite possibly) has signaled that there is a limit to the aggression it is willing to suffer before striking back in some way.
Old 17th June 2019, 03:52 AM   #199
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Eight hours. EIGHT HOURS.

Cool well-poisoning, bro.
That's hilarious that you are accusing me of well poisoning.
Old 17th June 2019, 04:57 AM   #200
Drewbot
Philosopher

Iran was showing off it's Limpet Mines at a weapons fair in 2015

You can see one being displayed at the fair on this page. It's about 60% of the way down the page.

https://www.farsnews.com/news/139407...A7%D9%84%DB%8C
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events