ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th June 2019, 05:02 AM   #201
Drewbot
Philosopher

Were you wondering if the boat next to the tanker was in fact an Iranian boat?

https://en.radiofarda.com/a/is-the-b.../29999309.html

Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 05:15 AM   #202
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

not saying it wasn't ...

but this is no evidence whatsoever.
Old 17th June 2019, 05:37 AM   #203
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
not saying it wasn't ...

but this is no evidence whatsoever.
Of course it's evidence. It's not proof, but it's absolutely evidence.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 06:07 AM   #204
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Of course it's evidence. It's not proof, but it's absolutely evidence.
Unless you can show that only the Iranian navy uses these boats, it's not.
Old 17th June 2019, 06:10 AM   #205
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

That's what makes it not proof. But that doesn't make it not evidence.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 07:34 AM   #206
Drewbot
Philosopher

Can we agree that if it was a Russian built anti-ship missile, it would have done far more damage than we see in the photos.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 08:01 AM   #207
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

So who else uses those speed boats beside Iran? Remember, we can't prove negative -nobody else uses, but one can prove positive - somebody beside Iran uses them.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 08:02 AM   #208
Belz...
Fiend God

Plot twist: It was Norway.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 08:04 AM   #209
carlitos
"más divertido"

That doesn't withstand even elementary scrutiny. Why would Trump go to war over something where nobody got killed and the property damage wasn't even to US property, when he hasn't gone to war over revelations that Iran killed about 600 US service members in Iraq?
Because of pressure from idiots in Congress and in his cabinet?

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...pping-warrants

Originally Posted by Senator Cotton (R)
“These unprovoked attacks on commercial shipping warrant a retaliatory military strike,” Cotton said.

Brennan asked whether he was comparing the situation now to the “Tanker War” in the 1980s.

“We can make a military reac— response in a time and in a manner of our choosing. But, yes,” Cotton repeated, “unprovoked attacks on commercial shipping warrant a retaliatory military strike against the Islamic Republic of Iran.”

Asked whether he believed the administration could act without seeking congressional approval first, Cotton replied, “yes.”
Originally Posted by CNSNews
On the same program, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the U.S. was “considering a full range of options” in response to recent events, adding that the administration was confident that it could “take a set of actions that can restore deterrence – which is our mission set.”

Asked whether that full range of options includes a military response, Pompeo replied, “Of course.”
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 08:04 AM   #210
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Oil tankers on fire off the shoulder of Iran. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Straights of Hormuz. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 08:05 AM   #211
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Apropos of nothing...

The title of this thread always reminds me of the C-beams monologue from Blade Runner.

Quote:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
(eta)
re: Post just before mine.
Now that is a weird ****** coincidence...

Last edited by alfaniner; 17th June 2019 at 08:07 AM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 08:06 AM   #212
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Oil tankers on fire off the shoulder of Iran. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Straights of Hormuz. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Dude, we did that on page 1.

Theprestige did it, then I wanted to do it and got ninja'd, then someone else.

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Apropos of nothing...

The title of this thread always reminds me of the C-beams monologue from Blade Runner.

(eta)
re: Post just before mine.
Now that is a weird ****** coincidence...
Ok yeah we get it!!

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 08:10 AM   #213
carlitos
"más divertido"

I don't think that I've ever seen Blade Runner, and thanks for the info. I did not at all understand what the "shoulder" references were about.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 08:12 AM   #214
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I don't think that I've ever seen Blade Runner
You should. Like it or hate it (and I do like the sequel but I'm still iffy on the original) it's a classic of the genre.

Old 17th June 2019, 09:19 AM   #215
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Because of pressure from idiots in Congress and in his cabinet?

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...pping-warrants
Cotton is one senator. As for Pompeo, regardless of whether they intend to do a military strike, it would be stupid to say that a military option wasn't even being considered. You don't telegraph that sort of information to the enemy while you're still in the process of deciding. Pompeo's public statements do not constitute pressure to go to war, and they do not indicate what his private recommendations to Trump might be. And that is as it should be.
Old 17th June 2019, 10:05 AM   #216
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Iran was showing off it's Limpet Mines at a weapons fair in 2015

You can see one being displayed at the fair on this page. It's about 60% of the way down the page.
Well hello there. Curious.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 10:07 AM   #217
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Pointing out the glaring inconsistencies in the America version of events/evidence doesn't make it a conspiracy theory.
Yeah but you weren't pointing out any "glaring inconsistencies", you were just asking weird questions like "why is the shadow so dark" and "why didn't they escape in the lifeboat if they were so scared (which it evidently turns out they did)".
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 10:09 AM   #218
carlitos
"más divertido"

Cotton is one senator. As for Pompeo, regardless of whether they intend to do a military strike, it would be stupid to say that a military option wasn't even being considered. You don't telegraph that sort of information to the enemy while you're still in the process of deciding. Pompeo's public statements do not constitute pressure to go to war, and they do not indicate what his private recommendations to Trump might be. And that is as it should be.
You are free to attempt to minimize this influence, as you have here.
Old 17th June 2019, 10:25 AM   #219
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Can we agree that if it was a Russian built anti-ship missile, it would have done far more damage than we see in the photos.
Why would we agree?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 10:29 AM   #220
Elagabalus
Illuminator

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/JpVG5h.jpg
How stealthy are those boats? Or how blind is a tanker? Would it be possible to attach a limpet mine to a moving tanker without being seen?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 10:30 AM   #221
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Iran was showing off it's Limpet Mines at a weapons fair in 2015

You can see one being displayed at the fair on this page. It's about 60% of the way down the page.
So that's why its shadow looks like a mouse cursor!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 10:30 AM   #222
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/JpVG5h.jpg
The features pointed out on the web link are fairly standard on fast boats of that size. A so called 'Cathedral' or 'dory' hull form and a centre console is seen on masses of fast planing boats under about 50 ft.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 17th June 2019 at 10:37 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 10:45 AM   #223
Checkmite

I think tankers are considerably blind, but not so much so that they wouldn't be able to spot one of those boats coming alongside and take note of it. You may not be able to focus on any one boat if there's multiple of them zipping around you I suppose. And I don't think from the ship's normal watch positions they'd be able to see anything the boat was doing while adjacent to the hull, like affixing an object. Also, if Iran's navy also serves typical "coast guard" functions, and if the ships were lately sailing out of an Iranian port, small military boats like these operating in close proximity or even coming alongside temporarily may be a commonplace thing and not worthy of any particular attention; the boats are certainly too small and light to pose a collision risk and it's not like the huge tanker could take evasive action even if they were, and the crew is certainly aware of that.

But this particular class of boat was simply the one seen doing something at the ship's hull hours after it had been abandoned. Even assuming they were removing a mine, it's not necessarily the case that the mine was first attached by the same kind of boat. If the mine was attached while the boat was in another country's port entirely, I think it's more than likely a known Iranian military boat wouldn't have been there.
Old 17th June 2019, 10:57 AM   #224
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

A small boat like that would be very difficult to see from the bridge of a tanker in the dark and not that easy in daylight if it came up from astern and stayed close in to the track of the ship and hugged the hull.
You don't keep much of a lookout astern.
Without a radar reflector high on the mast the boat would be very difficult to pick up out of the surface clutter on the radar at close range.
Old 17th June 2019, 11:03 AM   #225
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Last two ports were Qatar and SA.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels...MMSI-371880000
Old 17th June 2019, 11:07 AM   #226
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The crew of a tanker might not see squat about what is happening on the hull, but the ship's radar would pick up anything bigger than a zodiac.
Old 17th June 2019, 11:24 AM   #227
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Why would we agree?
Any type of warhead, like an anti ship missile (Similar to an Exocet), or a wire-guided, or laser guided anti tank rocket (Similar to a TOW) would have obliterated the side of that ship.
Old 17th June 2019, 11:42 AM   #228
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Statement today by the head of the Iranian Armed Forces:

Originally Posted by FARS News
"The US and its allies are projecting the blame on Iran for the recent incidents in the Persian Gulf (the attacks against the oil tankers in Fujairah and Sea of Oman) to raise allegations against Iran while if the Islamic Republic of Iran intends to stop exports of oil from the Persian Gulf, it will do that in full, and will announce it publically and clearly given the country and its Armed Forces' power and will not embark on deceitful and stealth acts like the terrorist and cheater US and its regional and international extensions which foment insecurity in the world," General Baqeri said on Monday.

He added that the Iranian Armed Forces are at present monitoring the enemies' moves wisely, precisely and round the clock and will give a crushing and open response to any enemy move and in a very broad region.

General Baqeri said Iran is now facing a new Saddam named Trump who resorts to complicated and dangerous methods, schemes and economic and psychological warfare against Tehran in a bid to pressure Tehran and make it believe that it has the only two options of war or negotiations that would lead to Iran's surrendering.

"Therefore, the Islamic Republic has opted for resistance and revolutionary and active defense and will stand for it strongly," he underscored.

Iran had also earlier strongly denied any involvement in the attacks. [...]
Old 17th June 2019, 12:09 PM   #229
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Any type of warhead, like an anti ship missile (Similar to an Exocet), or a wire-guided, or laser guided anti tank rocket (Similar to a TOW) would have obliterated the side of that ship.
Uh, no.

An Exocet missile is 670 kg, and has a 165 kg warhead. A TOW missile is only about 22 kg, with a 6 kg warhead. That's almost a factor of 30 difference in size. These are not even remotely comparable. An Exocet would indeed have done far more extensive damage than was observed, since it is designed to sink large ships. But a TOW missile is intended for far smaller targets than ships. It doesn't need to punch a large hole in its target, a relatively small hole will suffice.

I'm not trying to argue that such a missile was used here, but smaller missiles like a TOW would not in fact have "obliterated the side of that ship".
Old 17th June 2019, 12:15 PM   #230
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Not necessarily,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Skua
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 02:58 PM   #231
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The crew of a tanker might not see squat about what is happening on the hull, but the ship's radar would pick up anything bigger than a zodiac.
No it wouldn't, inside a couple of miles it wouldn't pick up a small boat against the sea clutter unless the boat was using a radar reflector high up somewhere.
A fibreglass boat with a mainly fibreglass centre console like the patrol boats being used wouldn't show at all on a commercial navigation radar.

Military search radars are a different kettle of fish. They use techniques to reject sea clutter and give a better picture at close range but they aren't used for navigation, a separate commercial style navigation radar is also fitted to a warship.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 17th June 2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 17th June 2019, 03:00 PM   #232
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

What makes you say that?
Old 17th June 2019, 03:02 PM   #233
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Sheffield wasn't sunk by the warhead of the Exocet that hit it but by fires caused by the rocket motors as it plowed through the ship and the unlucky chance that it hit the main firemain as it went through . If the warhead had exploded then the damage would have been far worse. Atlantic Conveyor was hit by an exocet and the warhead did explode, she sank due to flooding through the hole in the hull.
Old 17th June 2019, 03:20 PM   #234
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
No it wouldn't, inside a couple of miles it wouldn't pick up a small boat against the sea clutter unless the boat was using a radar reflector high up somewhere.
A fibreglass boat with a mainly fibreglass centre console like the patrol boats being used wouldn't show at all on a commercial navigation radar.
Indeed; this is precisely why pleasure craft in places where commercial traffic exists are so strongly encouraged to use radar-reflectors especially made for that purpose, as well as to keep AIS turned on at all times if they have it. Commercial radars probably technically could detect small craft, but in practice they're going to be squelched out along with the sea return to reduce clutter, because tanker ships don't need to look out for and avoid small craft.
Old 17th June 2019, 03:27 PM   #235
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

This video from Cowes week a few years ago shows exactly why a Tanker doesn't usually worry about small craft, and this is just a little coastal tanker, a few thousand tons.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 17th June 2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 17th June 2019, 04:13 PM   #236
Doubt
Philosopher

Uh, no.

An Exocet missile is 670 kg, and has a 165 kg warhead. A TOW missile is only about 22 kg, with a 6 kg warhead. That's almost a factor of 30 difference in size. These are not even remotely comparable. An Exocet would indeed have done far more extensive damage than was observed, since it is designed to sink large ships. But a TOW missile is intended for far smaller targets than ships. It doesn't need to punch a large hole in its target, a relatively small hole will suffice.

I'm not trying to argue that such a missile was used here, but smaller missiles like a TOW would not in fact have "obliterated the side of that ship".
A few points needed here:

1.) Most warships built after WW II don't have much in the way of armor. The hulls are thick enough to make sure they are structurally sound under rough conditions. Where there is armor on them it is usually around the magazines.

2.) Although not armored, tankers have thick hulls. That is required for them to stay structurally sound because of their size.

3.) An example of where the difference between military ships hulls and tankers showed up in the Iran-Iraq war. At one point Iran was attacking tankers. The US responded by having them re-flagged as American ships and providing escorts. Iran then turned to mining the straight with large old fashioned floating naval mines. One tanker hit a mine on the way in and suffered a lot of damage but was able to continue to port and take on oil. The US warships escorting it switched from leading the tankers to following them since they would not survive a mine explosion.

4.) Plenty of ships have survived hits from Exocets. They are on the small side for modern anti-ship missiles but a lot larger than a TOW. They pack a lot less punch then your typical floating naval mine like those used in the Iran-Iraq war. Where they hit does make a huge difference. How it compares to anti-tank warheads in design is something I don't know much about.

5.) There are a lot of versions of the TOW missile out there but they would have a hard time taking down anything that should be called a ship. However they all have one or more shaped charges designed just for the purpose of putting holes in armor plate. Later versions used two downward facing shape charges and would not be great for a hull attack on anything other than a land vehicle. Comparing the weight of en Exocet warhead to a TOW is going to be a bit misleading unless the details of the warhead are known.

6.) Typical Shaped charges are designed to burn a hole through armor. The holes are not necessarily going to be very large. In the case of a TOW, the liner of the charge is copper. It usually leaves residue in the hole it burns from the plasma jet formed by the charge. Not sure if the Exocet used the same type of liner although it probably does. Tin can also work. Glass is often used for non-armor penetrating charges.

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.

Last edited by Doubt; 17th June 2019 at 04:14 PM. Reason: cleaned up a sentence fragment.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 04:19 PM   #237
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Modern tankers have a double hull, product tankers certainly do.
Old 17th June 2019, 04:33 PM   #238
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Lots more photos now of the evidence, including in color. Thank you, Daily Mail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...kers-Gulf.html
Old 17th June 2019, 04:43 PM   #239
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

As much as I hate Trump and think war with Iran is a horrible idea, I find some of the conspiracy mongering in this thread by alleged rational thinkers to be pretty bad.
Point is who is attacking the tankers in the gulf, and why?

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 17th June 2019 at 04:44 PM.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 04:50 PM   #240
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

You also have the question the Iranian Government control over the Revolutionary Guards is often shaky; something like the Civilian Japanese Government's relatations with the Japanese Army in the 1930's. The Japanese Army did what it damn well wanted despite what the government wanted.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events