ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gun manufacturers , gun violence , lawsuits

Old 7th July 2019, 07:34 AM   #41
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Poor appeal to emotion attempt noted
Ooh. Six words. Must have struck a nerve.

So what about your opinion. Did the Vegas shooting happen or was it a hoax?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 10:57 AM   #42
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

If an AR-15 has powerful recoil, what does an AR-10 have? Super powerful recoil? A 30-06 must have ludicrous recoil?

All the AR-15's and M16's I ever shot had very little recoil.

AFAIK, only the AR-15 rifles had bump stocks at the Las Vegas incident.

I doubt many gun owners would classify the AR-15 as having powerful recoil.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 11:09 AM   #43
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Also, you don't actually need to remove the stock for bump fire.

So, I don't think the remove-ability of the stock should be a factor.

Plus, replacing a stock is a common thing with rifles. Making it non-removable would be pretty unusual. Not to mention difficult.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 11:27 AM   #44
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
While I don't think they have a case myself, I think you've gone overboard there.
How did I go overboard when detailing how I feel about their "facts"? I thought I was typing the sugar coated version.

Other than the details on the shooting itself most of it seems to be written by a person who never actually read federal or NV gun control laws and instead obtained their information from the VPC or the Brady Campaign
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 11:34 AM   #45
Ranb
Philosopher

....So despite Myriad's protestation that it would be impossible to make a gun that can't be modified, it's actually the case that the AR-15 is designed to be easy to modify.

So the claim in the lawsuit isn't that the manufactures didn't do the impossible, it's that they did way too much to make it possible to modify this rifle.
The fact that the upper and lower receivers can be separated by removing two take down pins is the main reason that most owners like the rifle; if they like it for the ability to modify it. I don't think the ability to add a bump stock is the reason for the vast majority of owners.

If you talk to the average person who modified their AR-15, it won't be the bump stock people. It will most likely be a person who changed out the barrel with a wrench and action vise, or they changed sights/scope, added a brake/silencer or they just swapped upper receivers.

Last edited by Ranb; 7th July 2019 at 01:14 PM. Reason: grammar
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 12:25 PM   #46
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I'm pretty sure this doesn't have a whelk's chance in a supernova of achieving anything useful.

We can always hope this is the bull **** lawsuit that ushers in loser-pays tort reform to put an end to moneygrubbing politically-motivated frivolous lawsuits by punishing those who bring them.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 03:40 PM   #47
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Plus, replacing a stock is a common thing with rifles. Making it non-removable would be pretty unusual. Not to mention difficult.

But RecoveryingYuppy doesn't accept that, because when HE Googles for replacement rifle stocks, he sees "mostly ar-15 parts."

I've read essays about how individually targeted online searches and media have been dividing people up into separate bubble worlds that only reflect their own convictions as the media sites figure out algorithmically, but I never understood before how effective it can be.
Old 7th July 2019, 04:01 PM   #48
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Don't put words in my mouth Myriad.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 05:18 PM   #49
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I would guess that Ruger's 10-22 is one of the most modified rifles out there. Probably a thousand different stocks available alone. And it's stock is not even designed to be easily changed.

Old 7th July 2019, 08:09 PM   #50
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Don't put words in my mouth Myriad.

You mean these?

I went to the trouble of googling this ["replacement rifle stock"] from a separate network to make sure my earlier searches wouldn't influence results but yet got pages dominated by AR-15 parts. Not sure what you expected me to learn from this.

Oh, sorry, I misremembered "dominated by AR-15 parts" as "mostly AR-15 parts" instead. That changed the meaning, not at all.

If you didn't mean to imply that you interpreted the results of your Googling from a separate network to imply that replacement of rifle stocks is specifically associated with AR-15s and not with other kinds of rifles, then you've expressed yourself very poorly. For instance, if what you meant was, "of course you're right Myriad, a modicum of online searching made it obvious that replacement stocks are readily available for all different kinds of rifles" then you could have said that instead of "not sure what you expected me to learn from this."

Last edited by Myriad; 7th July 2019 at 08:14 PM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 06:12 AM   #51
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post

If you didn't mean to imply that you interpreted the results of your Googling from a separate network to imply that replacement of rifle stocks is specifically associated with AR-15s and not with other kinds of rifles, then you've expressed yourself very poorly.
No, you read very poorly. I simply told you what your suggested search terms lead to and then said "Not sure what you expected me to learn from this."

I didn't interpret the results at all. I ignored them. I thought your suggestion to do that was stupid in the first place. It was both a bad way to make your point and likely to lead to misleading results.

Old 8th July 2019, 06:30 AM   #52
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

No, you read very poorly. I simply told you what your suggested search terms lead to and then said "Not sure what you expected me to learn from this."

I didn't interpret the results at all. I ignored them. I thought your suggestion to do that was stupid in the first place. It was both a bad way to make your point and likely to lead to misleading results.
So, do you think that " that replacement of rifle stocks is specifically associated with AR-15s and not with other kinds of rifles" or not?
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 06:36 AM   #53
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Not, of course.

Old 8th July 2019, 07:51 AM   #54
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...nae?ocid=ientp

Actually not true. The ATF has repeatedly defined bump fire as semi-auto and distinct from full auto. Even though bump stocks are now defined as machine guns, bump firing is not like a machine gun except for rate of fire.
Well if we define the finger as the auto sear then it does kind of become like it.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 07:58 AM   #55
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
There is just no way to decrease recoil so much bump-fire wouldn't be possible. especially with bump-stock. They go after manufacturer, because they have money, nothing more, nothing less.
The stock was legal. It's not anymore, but it was at the time. Not unknown, not not-considered. It was studied, and proclaimed legal.
The gun was legal. It is STILL just as legal as it was at the time.

Trying to prove all guns with recoil are illegal is really gonna be tough job ..
Well there could be, increasing length of trigger pull would make it harder for a bump stock to reset and then use the finger as the auto sear. Much the same kind of things one does when one does not want a gun to double as readily.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 03:31 AM   #56
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

The more you know
Old 9th July 2019, 05:29 AM   #57
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Thinking on this, I wonder if you could design a select fire previously legal gun designed to have the trigger reciprocate. There by reducing reciprocating mass and making a better handling full auto gun that is technically not full auto.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events