ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th July 2019, 08:43 AM   #41
Elagabalus
Illuminator

The shoes are ugly. They should be pulled. The end.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 08:47 AM   #42
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
The shoes are ugly. They should be pulled.
I don't like the look of them, but controlled demolition using explosives seems a little excessive.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 08:48 AM   #43
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

If your flag has been stolen by racists, it's time to steal it back, not cave in.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 10:59 AM   #44
kedo1981
Master Poster

If ya want to al historical about it.
1."Betsy Ross flag" {socalled} is adopted as the nation's flag.
2. Former British colonies then became states, which then adopted flags and constitutions. Pennsylvania, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York, Delaware, forbade slavery in their constitutional documents.
3. From that point on every northern state did also, a major factor in ending slavery.
So isn't the Betsy Ross flag really the flag that helped usher in the end of slavery?
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 11:06 AM   #45
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

I believe the main thrust of the argument against Nike using the 'Betsy Ross' flag was the alleged use by white nationalist of it as a symbol
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 11:11 AM   #46
carlitos
"más divertido"

If it is, that's even more obscure than the "ok sign" trolling. It sounds ridiculous to me, but maybe they just want to avoid their shoes being the next Fred Perry polo shirt.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 11:45 AM   #47
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Sometimes the PC Left are unfairly painted as liberal bogeymen. This is not one of those times. That was completely off the rails. Michael Eric Dyson - you are a moron.
I must agree.

When I heard the right wing radio yappers talking about this story I fully expected to find out it was wild rumors and exaggeration. I could not believe that a shoe company would manufacture shoes, and then yank them because the American flag was a racist symbol. I figured I would see a Snopes article or something saying what the real story was.

Well, it appears this really was the real story. Unreal.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 11:50 AM   #48
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Is it too cynical to suspect that Nike orchestrated this whole fiasco?

Kaepernick is a Nike spokesperson after all. And controversy sells. Which is what Nike was going for when they hired Kaepernick anyway (IMO). This seems like it could be just getting some extra mileage from the same ad campaign. We’re all sitting here talking about Nike shoes for some reason.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 12:02 PM   #49
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
We’re all sitting here talking about Nike shoes for some reason.
Don't much care about the shoes (I have a few, they're okay) but I do think we should question whether the 1777 flag deserves to be seen as taboo.

Last edited by d4m10n; 5th July 2019 at 12:10 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 12:09 PM   #50
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Don't much care about the shoes (I have a few, they're okay) but I do think we
should question whether the 1777 flag deserves to be seen as taboo.
Sort of falls under paralysis by analysis to me.
We could split hairs over whether a flag being made from nylon celebrates sweatshop labor or whether one made from cotton celebrates slavery. Because nothing is perfect, we can spend any amount of time we wish pointing out inconsistencies or criticizing just about any symbol or movement throughout history. Where does it get us?

I get that a swastika flag is purposefully inflammatory and understand condemnation of its display, but where does it end? People are never happy. They just like to bitch.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 12:21 PM   #51
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Sort of falls under paralysis by analysis to me.
If you aren't committed to setting out criteria first, sure. I really don't think it's too much to ask that people come up with some sort of general approach instead of just doing ad hockery on whatever they find objectionable at the moment.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 12:41 PM   #52
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I don't like the look of them, but controlled demolition using explosives seems a little excessive.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 12:42 PM   #53
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
If your flag has been stolen by racists, it's time to steal it back, not cave in.
Yeah, if we had allowed white supremacists to claim the Union Flag, what would we put on all the tourist tat?!

Last edited by Information Analyst; 5th July 2019 at 12:44 PM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 01:02 PM   #54
Scopedog
Muse

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
The OK hand sign which was used as a white supremacist gesture long before it was made into a joke on 4-chan?
Do you have any evidence for this?
Scopedog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 01:04 PM   #55
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Probably not, but it shows the pressure a bunch of hand wringing, lefty, triggered types can have on normal everyday **** when they get their pitch forks out over nothing.

But tis the modern world we live in.
"Lefties" had nothing to do with it!

Last edited by smartcooky; 5th July 2019 at 01:46 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 01:13 PM   #56
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
The OK hand sign which was used as a white supremacist gesture long before it was made into a joke on 4-chan?

Err, no

Here is the original 4Chan post that started it

There are no web archives that I can find showing an association between the "OK" sign and white supremacy prior to 2017
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 02:39 PM   #57
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kedo1981 View Post
If ya want to al historical about it.
1."Betsy Ross flag" {socalled} is adopted as the nation's flag.
2. Former British colonies then became states, which then adopted flags and constitutions. Pennsylvania, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York, Delaware, forbade slavery in their constitutional documents.
3. From that point on every northern state did also, a major factor in ending slavery.
So isn't the Betsy Ross flag really the flag that helped usher in the end of slavery?
Delaware?

But other than that, yeah.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 03:10 PM   #58
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Delaware?
[Delaware] was a slave state that fought beside the North. ... That's only because we couldn't figure out how to get to the South. There were a couple of states in the way.
- Joe Biden
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 05:03 PM   #59
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

[Delaware] was a slave state that fought beside the North. ... That's only because we couldn't figure out how to get to the South. There were a couple of states in the way.
- Joe Biden
What did Delaware, boys, what did Delaware?

What did Delaware, boys, what did Delaware?

She wore some brand new Nikes

That's what Dela wore.

What did Missis sip, boys...
Old 5th July 2019, 05:09 PM   #60
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Several sources have quoted the anti-defamation league as saying they don't view the Betsy Ross flag as having been appropriated by any hate group. They view it as an appropriate symbol of patriotism.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...kqi-story.html

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 05:16 PM   #61
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Nope. That's not Nike's business model at all.
Nike does not manufacture anything:

Quote:
NIKE Focus On Contract Manufacturing
NIKE doesn’t own any manufacturing site and produces all its products through independent contractors. All footwear and apparel products are manufactured outside the United States, while equipment products are produced both in the United States and abroad. This strategy has helped NIKE improve its profit margins, reduce inventories, minimize price markdowns, and ensure that the customer receives the right product assortment on time.
In other words, it tenders for approved suppliers making them pay a licence fee for using the Nike logo and of course having to come up to approved standards.

At least Coca-Cola owns its brown sugary liquid producing factories in South America.
Old 5th July 2019, 05:29 PM   #62
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Nike does not manufacture anything:

In other words, it tenders for approved suppliers making them pay a licence fee for using the Nike logo and of course having to come up to approved standards.

At least Coca-Cola owns its brown sugary liquid producing factories in South America.
That doesn't seem to fit what your quote says. Those are different models.

What you are describing is that a shoe manufacturer makes a shoe design, but wants to sell them as Nike brand. They contact Nike, and if Nike finds them acceptable, the manufacturer pays a fee to Nike and puts a swoosh on them.

In the "contract manufacturing" model, Nike comes up with a shoe design. It then contacts manufacturers and asks them how much it will cost to have a bunch of those shoes made. Nike pays a fee to the manufacturer, and the manufacturer gives them shoes.

There's a lot of overlap, I admit. In either case, Nike doesn't own the factory, Nike decides who can make the shoes, and everyone involved passes money around and makes a profit, but exactly where decisions are made, and who pays whom for what, is different in the two models.
Old 5th July 2019, 05:32 PM   #63
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What you are describing is that a shoe manufacturer makes a shoe design, but wants to sell them as Nike brand. They contact Nike, and if Nike finds them acceptable, the manufacturer pays a fee to Nike and puts a swoosh on them.

In the "contract manufacturing" model, Nike comes up with a shoe design. It then contacts manufacturers and asks them how much it will cost to have a bunch of those shoes made. Nike pays a fee to the manufacturer, and the manufacturer gives them shoes.

There's a lot of overlap, I admit. In either case, Nike doesn't own the factory, Nike decides who can make the shoes, and everyone involved passes money around and makes a profit, but exactly where decisions are made, and who pays whom for what, is different in the two models.
This.

Nike pays factories to make Nike designs to Nike specifications, to be sold by Nike retailers under the Nike brand, with profits going to Nike.

Nike does enter into co branding arrangements. But as far as I know, there's simply no way for you to pay Nike a license fee to put their brand on your product.

Nike's whole business strategy seems to be exactly opposite to the kind of sell out that Vixen describes.

Last edited by theprestige; 5th July 2019 at 05:33 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 05:34 PM   #64
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

[nm. ninja'd]

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 05:41 PM   #65
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

How is that different from MacDonald's or KFC offering franchises to bear its name?

I am a business postgrad and Nike was always cited as an example of a company that is little more than its logo. It is a brand and nothing more.
Old 5th July 2019, 05:51 PM   #66
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

How is that different from MacDonald's or KFC offering franchises to bear its name?

I am a business postgrad and Nike was always cited as an example of a company that is little more than its logo. It is a brand and nothing more.
This is a pretty withering indictment of the business postgrad industry, if true.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 05:52 PM   #67
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

This is a pretty withering indictment of the business postgrad industry, if true.
Nike is a logo. Full stop.

Quote:
According to Nike, Innovation is at the heart of Nike’s business growth strategy and it uses this innovation in
order to become more sustainable company and to keep up with the competition and customer demands
(nikeandunderarmour.com, 2015).
The second strategy is Nike’s premium pricing strategy (Best cost provider strategy) which targets the
customers who develop a special kind of intimacy with the product that ultimately leads to the development of
loyalty. Since the loyalty has been established between the company and consumers; Nike takes the advantage
to associate their consumers with their price. Therefore, Nike knows that consumers will be ready to pay for the
product that bears the Nike Logo
(sales-management-slides.com, 2007).
At the same time, Nike pays a noticeable concern towards a broad differentiation strategy. Based on that
strategy, Nike produces its products for athletics in three ways. Firstly, it manufactures for three different
segments of people: men, women and children. Secondly, differentiates its products by offering a variety of
accessories and apparels like shoes, gym bags, gloves and skates. Thirdly, Nike has the licensees to
manufacture and sell Nike brand products
aside from athletic products like school supplies, electronic media
devices and timepieces (Dermesropia et al., 2004).
http://www.ijbmer.com/docs/volumes/v...2015060302.pdf

When all is said and done it is a logo.
Old 5th July 2019, 05:55 PM   #68
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Nike is a logo. Full stop.

http://www.ijbmer.com/docs/volumes/v...2015060302.pdf

When all is said and done it is a logo.
There's also a physical product that people actually buy and put on their bodies.
Old 5th July 2019, 05:56 PM   #69
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Sometimes the PC Left are unfairly painted as liberal bogeymen. This is not one of those times. That was completely off the rails. Michael Eric Dyson - you are a moron.
This is stupider than the ok hand signal and I thought nothing could be stupider from the "woke" left than that
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 5th July 2019 at 05:57 PM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 05:58 PM   #70
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

There's also a physical product that people actually buy and put on their bodies.
If that same product does not have the logo - which is all Nike is - the apparel would be significantly cheaper.

Nike is nothing more than a logo.
Old 5th July 2019, 06:00 PM   #71
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If that same product does not have the logo - which is all Nike is - the apparel would be significantly cheaper.

Nike is nothing more than a logo.
Changing horses midstream is a good way to drown.
Old 5th July 2019, 06:17 PM   #72
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I wonder what they'll do with [all of the unsold shoes]
Send them to Africa?

Old 5th July 2019, 09:46 PM   #73
carlitos
"más divertido"

How is contract manufacturing different from fast food franchises? Are you serious? Maybe you could ask a ....

I am a business postgrad
Lol. Never mind.
Old 5th July 2019, 09:51 PM   #74
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Actually it was probably all down to male privilege and rape culture.
Dumm Libruls, amirite?

If it comes down to privilege and rape culture, they need to be sane not-frothing-at-the-mouth conservatives who would never do such a thing.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...keurig-boycott

Not to mention the demonstrations burning Dixie Chicks CDs, the Cracker Barrel and Chick-Fil-A campaigns. But, yeah, a progressive or lefty objection gets some traction and it's the end of civilization as we know it.

You lot are so predictable.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 09:56 PM   #75
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Dumm Libruls, amirite?

If it comes down to privilege and rape culture, they need to be sane not-frothing-at-the-mouth conservatives who would never do such a thing.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...keurig-boycott

Not to mention the demonstrations burning Dixie Chicks CDs, the Cracker Barrel and Chick-Fil-A campaigns. But, yeah, a progressive or lefty objection gets some traction and it's the end of civilization as we know it.

You lot are so predictable.
The post was a joke

Next time I will put in flashing signals
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 10:04 PM   #76
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Like this

Lefties get triggered lots because they are fragile

Righties are all racist

Ha Ha...Ha Ha ....Ha Ha (think Lord Flasheart)

Old 5th July 2019, 10:06 PM   #77
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

You didn't pay much attention in class, then. Nike designs their products. They don't just buy a container of Fruit of the Loom and replace the logos. Nike supports a half-billion a year in R&D. When they want a new shoe, they design it. They then give it to CMs (contract manufacturers) who produce their product to their specifications. The other model, the one you're confusing with Nike's is OEM (original equipment manufacturing) which is when the manufacturer designs and makes the product and then sells it to marketing or retail companies who put their logo on it. (Think steam irons or blenders... if you look at some of them from the 90s and 00s, they are the same machine/product but with a logo changed from Sunbeam to Salton to Black & Decker...)

I handled the supply chain for many such companies for quite a few years. When Nike was launching a new shoe, the team from R&D in Seattle worked with the pro whose name was going on it for a year, then brought the designs to Asia to hand over to their CMs, with instructions as to where to source the materials for the shoe! Nike is not just a logo.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 5th July 2019 at 10:29 PM.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 10:29 PM   #78
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

The post was a joke

Next time I will put in flashing signals
I know you thought it was a joke. Do you know the expression "Poe"?

See, you made a funny. Ha ha, sarcasm. Libruls always cry about the patriarchy and rape culture and male privilege. That was sure some thigh slapper there. Me and Sparky down to the Bait 'n Lube loves us some makin' fun of libruls. Haw haw!

Then... I made a funny, showing an article where Hannity's troglodyte fanz were actually destroying Keurig products because their poor little snowflake bubbles couldn't stand the fact that Keurig was pulling ads from Trump's court jester's show because he supported a bigoted cretin who'd been accused of molesting under-aged girls. Why, me and Sparky ain't takin' that! What's this country comin' to when a good god-fearing judge can't grab a little teenaged nookie now and then. Hell, boy, this country was founded on grabbing sugar drawers whenever ya git a chance.

Old 5th July 2019, 10:30 PM   #79
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Like this

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PaleCooper...restricted.gif

Lefties get triggered lots because they are fragile

Righties are all racist

Ha Ha...Ha Ha ....Ha Ha (think Lord Flasheart)
So the answer is, "No, I don't know what a Poe is."

Thanks for confirming that.

Old 5th July 2019, 10:40 PM   #80
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I know you thought it was a joke. Do you know the expression "Poe"?

See, you made a funny. Ha ha, sarcasm. Libruls always cry about the patriarchy and rape culture and male privilege. That was sure some thigh slapper there. Me and Sparky down to the Bait 'n Lube loves us some makin' fun of libruls. Haw haw!

Then... I made a funny, showing an article where Hannity's troglodyte fanz were actually destroying Keurig products because their poor little snowflake bubbles couldn't stand the fact that Keurig was pulling ads from Trump's court jester's show because he supported a bigoted cretin who'd been accused of molesting under-aged girls. Why, me and Sparky ain't takin' that! What's this country comin' to when a good god-fearing judge can't grab a little teenaged nookie now and then. Hell, boy, this country was founded on grabbing sugar drawers whenever ya git a chance.
I am surprised it took you so long to get Trump into the conversation

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events