ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags California incidents , earthquakes , geology

Old 5th July 2019, 09:55 PM   #1
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Earthquakes! So many earthquakes

Soo, 6.4 earthquake yesterday, 7.1 today. Tomorrow will definitely be 7.8. I mean that's just science.*

Hope everyone is okay. Fortunately people in the area have some experience with these things.

*This is in no way science.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 10:12 PM   #2
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

There was also a moving swarm further south back in May. No idea if it could be related.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 10:16 PM   #3
EHocking
Philosopher

There were 190 earthquakes of greater than 2.5 magnitude recorded in the US on 5th July.

Common as muck.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 5th July 2019 at 10:17 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 10:20 PM   #4
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You get used to them

And I wouldn't get too panicky

The chances are extremely slimmer of having a bigger one than not no matter how much the media tries to scare you for clicks/kicks
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2019, 11:53 PM   #5
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Actually looks like it was fairly nasty going by the news
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 12:18 AM   #6
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

There isn't a plague of frogs somewhere is there?
Old 6th July 2019, 12:39 AM   #7
Matthew Best
Philosopher

An earthquake on the 4th July?

Has the United States been up to something that God would disapprove of, by any chance?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 04:22 AM   #8
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Actually looks like it was fairly nasty going by the news
That’s just the media trying to scare you like they did with the Christchurch quake and the Tohoku quake. Wake up sheeple! Open you’re eyez!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 05:29 AM   #9
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm reminded of the young seismologist in Earthquake (1974) trying to convince his bosses that those (in the first hour or so) were not the Main Event, they were merely foreshocks and The Big One was imminent.
Old 6th July 2019, 06:38 AM   #10
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Whatever happened to the old poster from JREF who would post a map with weird lines on it after every quake showing how it was exactly what, when, and where he predicted, even if he'd said there would be an 8.5 quake in Outer Mongolia on July 1st and smaller ones happened in California on July 5th? Know who I'm talking about?
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 06:43 AM   #11
bobdroege7
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
There isn't a plague of frogs somewhere is there?
I wouldn't call it a plague, but we have more that usual this year due to all the rain.

Maybe a hundred or so just around my house, drives my lab/dachshund nuts, he catches and eats one every now and then, probably not the best diet.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 10:03 AM   #12
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
I wouldn't call it a plague, but we have more that usual this year due to all the rain.

Maybe a hundred or so just around my house, drives my lab/dachshund nuts, he catches and eats one every now and then, probably not the best diet.
If they are good enough for the French.......
Old 6th July 2019, 01:06 PM   #13
carrps
Thinker

Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post

I saw a picture of a lab/dachshund once. Weirdest looking dog I'd ever seen.

I just have a regular dachshund.

But one of the dachshunds we had when I was a kid liked to eat the baby toads kids would collect down at La Ballona creek.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2019, 06:18 PM   #14
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Whatever happened to the old poster from JREF who would post a map with weird lines on it after every quake showing how it was exactly what, when, and where he predicted, even if he'd said there would be an 8.5 quake in Outer Mongolia on July 1st and smaller ones happened in California on July 5th? Know who I'm talking about?
King of the Americas? Got himself banned in 2017 I think it may have been.
His blog hasn’t been updated since 2017. Don’t know if he had his earthquake, hurricane, tornado woo posted there?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 09:51 AM   #15
Spektator

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
King of the Americas? Got himself banned in 2017 I think it may have been.
His blog hasn’t been updated since 2017. Don’t know if he had his earthquake, hurricane, tornado woo posted there?
That's the guy. KOTA. His rationales lacked rationality. Thanks!
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 11:04 AM   #16
saraban

I'm in England and I've experienced two living here. Which I think is quite good going.
saraban is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 12:20 PM   #17
Spektator

I was wrong - not KoA, but Raptor Witness. Apologies to both.
Old 7th July 2019, 03:57 PM   #18
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by carrps View Post
I saw a picture of a lab/dachshund once. Weirdest looking dog I'd ever seen.

I just have a regular dachshund.

But one of the dachshunds we had when I was a kid liked to eat the baby toads kids would collect down at La Ballona creek.
Tehy're breeding dachshunds in the lab now?!

Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2019, 11:12 PM   #19
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

We had an earthquake once.

Old 8th July 2019, 03:18 AM   #20
EHocking
Philosopher

Ah yes, not the King, but “The Most Dangerous Man In America”.

that title has since been usurped by another much more dangerous man in January 2017
Old 8th July 2019, 03:27 AM   #21
Lothian
should be banned

ENJOY THE MOMENTS YOU HAVE LEFT YOU ARE ALL GOING TO DIE*.

* at some point. Earthquakes may or may not be involved.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 04:07 AM   #22
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Earthquakes are caused by people being too gay.
Same with forest fires.
Volcanoes, obviously.
Old 8th July 2019, 04:50 AM   #23
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Earthquakes are caused by people being too gay.
Same with forest fires.
Volcanoes, obviously.
I thought forest fires were down to a lack of raking.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 11:16 AM   #24
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
I thought forest fires were down to a lack of raking.
you pray or rake away the Gay.
Old 8th July 2019, 02:32 PM   #25
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Ah yes, not the King, but “The Most Dangerous Man In America”.
The most dangerous man in America, part 2
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 04:52 PM   #26
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
An earthquake on the 4th July?

Has the United States been up to something that God would disapprove of, by any chance?
My own favorite story about this is one of the few buildings in downtown San Francisco to survive the Earthquake and Fire of 1906 was Hoataling's Whiskey Distillery , which was of thick wall construction because that was early climate control,important in a distillery. When people said the quake and fire were God's judgement on San Francisco for being so wicked, this rhyme became popular:

"If God spanked the town for being over frisky,
Why did He burn the Churches, down, but spared Hoatling's Whiskey?".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 07:41 PM   #27
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
My own favorite story about this is one of the few buildings in downtown San Francisco to survive the Earthquake and Fire of 1906 was Hoataling's Whiskey Distillery , which was of thick wall construction because that was early climate control,important in a distillery. When people said the quake and fire were God's judgement on San Francisco for being so wicked, this rhyme became popular:

"If God spanked the town for being over frisky,
Why did He burn the Churches, down, but spared Hoatling's Whiskey?".
He finally stepped up 113 years later and burned down the Jim Beam factory.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events