ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th July 2019, 08:57 AM   #41
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I think the complainers in this case want to endlessly punish Reece for what he has done only because he is a high profile sportsman. If he was Fred Smith; accused of domestic violence and discharged without conviction who was playing for the Ekatahuna Fourth Grade team, and he was selected to play for their Firsts, we would not even be hearing about it.

If you are a burglar, a car thief; even if you have committed a rape or a murder, you eventually have the chance to re-integrate into society at some point,
Hey rapists often get to reintegrate right away because the judges don't want to ruin their college experiences. Really domestic violence and rape are the kind of crimes that clearly shouldn't have serious consequences.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 09:20 AM   #42
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

I'm going to say something that's going to really upset people, but I just can't hold it in anymore. I am TIRED of the equivocating. In almost every case, a man assaulting a female is going to have more serious consequences - damage wise - than the reverse (unless the woman has a weapon of some kind, in which case the charge would surely be adjusted accordingly). A scrawny male teenager could beat me up without even trying that hard. I don't think NZ or anywhere else should have a separate charge, but I can sort of see what the reasoning was. It's often the physical equivalent of an adult hitting a child.

I actually saw someone post on here in the past that he didn't think men ever hit women unless it was in self-defense. He was not joking. I was so shocked and offended by the remark, that it led me down a path of "what do I really think about all this?" For years, I'd been attempting to placate men and meet them halfway on this issue. "Oh sure, women abuse too. Oh sure, assault goes both ways." Yeah, it DOES, but why can't we admit that men are stronger and more able to cause damage? I would have zero chance of defending myself against a man, any man at all, unless he was crippled or something. Similarly, I would have zero chance of hurting a man unless I had a weapon.

That being said, having an actual separate charge is weird and wrong. Why can't they just look at individual cases? After all, exceptions do exist. Ronda Rhousey vs. Michael Cera, for example, would not support my point. There's also the issue of men being afraid to defend themselves against an attacking woman because of the legal biases and because of the physical disparities. That could be extremely problematic, and demonstrates another reason why having a separate charge is mad. I'm not in denial about any of this. I don't identify as a feminist, and until recently, I kind of thought most of their concerns were drama.

But the last few years have really made me wonder. There's an extreme layer of woman-hating and disgust underneath some of these cultural discussions. If we're at the point where some people genuinely believe that men only hit women in self-defense, then I want off this planet. Wake the **** up.

I fear I just made enemies of some of you, and caused others to write me off going forward. I guess I don't care. I'll probably care later today when I want to pop on here for some casual chitchat. "What have I DOOOONE?" I'll lament. But I won't feel any differently about what I actually said. (I'm also wondering if it actually relates directly to the discussion you guys are having. It probably doesn't, but the theme does. I'm just sick of this theme all over the damn internet. The sexes are not at war, and nobody should ******* hit anybody, but some people ARE better at hitting by virtue of their chromosomes, god dammit!)

Oh man, I'm sorry.

*flees*

Last edited by isissxn; 8th July 2019 at 09:22 AM.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 09:54 AM   #43
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
I'm going to say something that's going to really upset people, but I just can't hold it in anymore. I am TIRED of the equivocating. In almost every case, a man assaulting a female is going to have more serious consequences - damage wise - than the reverse (unless the woman has a weapon of some kind, in which case the charge would surely be adjusted accordingly). A scrawny male teenager could beat me up without even trying that hard. I don't think NZ or anywhere else should have a separate charge, but I can sort of see what the reasoning was. It's often the physical equivalent of an adult hitting a child.

I actually saw someone post on here in the past that he didn't think men ever hit women unless it was in self-defense. He was not joking. I was so shocked and offended by the remark, that it led me down a path of "what do I really think about all this?" For years, I'd been attempting to placate men and meet them halfway on this issue. "Oh sure, women abuse too. Oh sure, assault goes both ways." Yeah, it DOES, but why can't we admit that men are stronger and more able to cause damage? I would have zero chance of defending myself against a man, any man at all, unless he was crippled or something. Similarly, I would have zero chance of hurting a man unless I had a weapon.

That being said, having an actual separate charge is weird and wrong. Why can't they just look at individual cases? After all, exceptions do exist. Ronda Rhousey vs. Michael Cera, for example, would not support my point. There's also the issue of men being afraid to defend themselves against an attacking woman because of the legal biases and because of the physical disparities. That could be extremely problematic, and demonstrates another reason why having a separate charge is mad. I'm not in denial about any of this. I don't identify as a feminist, and until recently, I kind of thought most of their concerns were drama.

But the last few years have really made me wonder. There's an extreme layer of woman-hating and disgust underneath some of these cultural discussions. If we're at the point where some people genuinely believe that men only hit women in self-defense, then I want off this planet. Wake the **** up.

I fear I just made enemies of some of you, and caused others to write me off going forward. I guess I don't care. I'll probably care later today when I want to pop on here for some casual chitchat. "What have I DOOOONE?" I'll lament. But I won't feel any differently about what I actually said. (I'm also wondering if it actually relates directly to the discussion you guys are having. It probably doesn't, but the theme does. I'm just sick of this theme all over the damn internet. The sexes are not at war, and nobody should ******* hit anybody, but some people ARE better at hitting by virtue of their chromosomes, god dammit!)

Oh man, I'm sorry.

*flees*
Very well said.

There is usually, and almost always in domestic situations, such a difference in potential physical damage that I sort of understand the NZ law. It is unfortunately poorly thought out and does not address any situational ambiguities.

It’s a bad law trying to rectify a bad problem.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 01:09 PM   #44
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Incredible. What does a woman who assaults a man get charged with, and does the potential sentence differ?
Common assault. Penalties are much the same.

In almost every case, a man assaulting a female is going to have more serious consequences - damage wise - than the reverse (unless the woman has a weapon of some kind, in which case the charge would surely be adjusted accordingly). A scrawny male teenager could beat me up without even trying that hard. I don't think NZ or anywhere else should have a separate charge, but I can sort of see what the reasoning was. It's often the physical equivalent of an adult hitting a child.
I agree with you all the way, but I will note it was pressure from women's groups that made the male assaults female a separate charge.

Oh man, I'm sorry.

*flees*
1 - You've got nothing to be sorry about, so please don't be.
2 - I'd be very surprised if anyone took offence at what you're saying.
3 - Don't be at all upset about making an honest and heart-felt post on a sensitive subject.
Old 8th July 2019, 02:27 PM   #45
Information Analyst
Philosopher

In almost every case, a man assaulting a female is going to have more serious consequences - damage wise - than the reverse (unless the woman has a weapon of some kind, in which case the charge would surely be adjusted accordingly).
With respect, I think that's rather naïve. An aggressive woman can beat the crap out of a non-aggressive man, especially one who had a lifetime of being told not to hit women. Mrs Analyst used to work as a door supervisor (bouncer), and having to deal with women who were quick to use their heels as a weapon against both men and women was not unusual.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 11:41 PM   #46
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Oh man, I'm sorry.

*flees*
That is all ace, but I haven't seen any kiwis on this thread say there shouldn't be a seperate charge for male assaults female.

With your damage is much worse that a man can do totally agree

The only thing I would probably point out is that world reknowned longitudinal life time (1000 people from birth in 1973) study by Otago university came out recently and have found that cases of domestic abuse are running at roughly 50/50 by gender

They think reasoning for the more reported male victims than outside the study is that it is a guaranteed anonymous for life study so the blokes feel less hit to their male ego or ramifications of admitting it.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-heral...enging-picture

But as I say, dudes obviously due more physical damage. Women seriously can do some to and mental damage, which can be just as bad

Interesting though
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 8th July 2019 at 11:43 PM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 11:48 PM   #47
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

With respect, I think that's rather naïve. An aggressive woman can beat the crap out of a non-aggressive man, especially one who had a lifetime of being told not to hit women. Mrs Analyst used to work as a door supervisor (bouncer), and having to deal with women who were quick to use their heels as a weapon against both men and women was not unusual.
It's not just about the physical differences. It's about the cultural differences. There's been a long, long history where male violence against women was condoned, or even encouraged. It's only recently been accepted that a man can rape his wife.

The two situations - man-hits-woman and woman-hits-man - are in no way equivalent or parallel. Not physically, and not culturally.
Old 9th July 2019, 12:02 AM   #48
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
It's not just about the physical differences. It's about the cultural differences. There's been a long, long history where male violence against women was condoned, or even encouraged. It's only recently been accepted that a man can rape his wife.

The two situations - man-hits-woman and woman-hits-man - are in no way equivalent or parallel. Not physically, and not culturally.

It's been 35 years. When does it hit not recently?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 12:03 AM   #49
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
It's been 35 years. When does it hit not recently?
When it's been hundreds.
Old 9th July 2019, 12:11 AM   #50
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

When it's been hundreds.
Wouldn't it be just till anyone who was old enough to live under it old enough to get married before carks it, or is this the whole blaming blokes anyway who had zero to do with it as they weren't around thing kicking in again.

And while it was 35 years ago I doubt then their were many blokes raping their wives and encouraging mates to beat the crap out of their missus.

Most of NZ was not a representation of Once were warriors

Old 9th July 2019, 12:50 AM   #51
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Wouldn't it be just till anyone who was old enough to live under it old enough to get married before carks it, or is this the whole blaming blokes anyway who had zero to do with it as they weren't around thing kicking in again.

And while it was 35 years ago I doubt then their were many blokes raping their wives and encouraging mates to beat the crap out of their missus.

Most of NZ was not a representation of Once were warriors
If you don't understand that women have been systematically disenfranchised and repressed by men for literally centuries - probably thousands of years - then I'm afraid you do not have a very good grasp of cultural history.
Old 9th July 2019, 01:02 AM   #52
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

If you don't understand that women have been systematically disenfranchised and repressed by men for literally centuries - probably thousands of years - then I'm afraid you do not have a very good grasp of cultural history.
Well yes

But no one alive today was around 100s of years ago.

What matters is solving the issues we have now, not go on about how everyones great great great grandad may have been a bad person (How do we even know) going back their Great great great great ............. x 100 grandad may have been a bad person

Old 9th July 2019, 01:25 AM   #53
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Well yes

But no one alive today was around 100s of years ago.

What matters is solving the issues we have now, not go on about how everyones great great great grandad may have been a bad person (How do we even know) going back their Great great great great ............. x 100 grandad may have been a bad person
You're missing the point. You don't reverse that kind of cultural imbalance in just a few years. Culture goes beyond a single person's lifespan. Why do you think women are still paid less than men for the same job?
Old 9th July 2019, 01:34 AM   #54
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You're missing the point. You don't reverse that kind of cultural imbalance in just a few years. Culture goes beyond a single person's lifespan. Why do you think women are still paid less than men for the same job?
Well in NZ at least it is arguable that they are

We have people who say this saying gp nursing is the same job as police and hospital nurses is the same job as prison guards, which is utterly laughable

Old 9th July 2019, 03:00 AM   #55
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Sorry.

I missed the bit where you know all the details behind the case and can judge it as well as a judge who heard it all.

And no it isn't like judges in the US letting off rapists.
Got it by new Zealand law she clearly had it coming according to the judge.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 03:15 AM   #56
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Got it by new Zealand law she clearly had it coming according to the judge.
Can you please link to proof the law said she had it coming as the female judge who let him off decided this

Quote:
According to the police summary of facts, Reece told his girlfriend she needed to "shut up and listen to him", in stronger words.

He was seen grabbing the victim and pulling her down on to the ground.

Reece was deterred by a nearby doorman who intervened. He was subsequently arrested.

The woman suffered injuries to her upper face, bruising to the left side of her waist and left knee.

"You told the police you didn't remember the assault because of the level of intoxication," Judge Denise Clark told the court.

This was the defendant's first time before the courts.

Lawyer Mark Jepson applied to have his client given a discharge without conviction or a fine, saying a conviction would be disproportionate to the offending.

He said the court needed to consider whether any other person who wasn't a professional rugby player would be facing consequences of this magnitude for the offending.

A letter from the head of operations for Connacht submitted in court documents said that a conviction would mean the contract was withdrawn.

The police prosecutor opposed a discharge without conviction, saying that it would not ultimately mean an end to his career.

"This is an episode of family harm that occurred in the public domain - this is offending that is being widely deplored in the community and significant money by the Government is being spent to tackle domestic violence," police prosecutor Melanie Feist said.

Judge Clark took into account this was Reece's first time before the courts, he had taken responsibility for the offending and pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity and was three months sober.

She noted the offending was in the mid-range and that he had offered emotional reparation.

He'd participated in restorative justice and was undergoing counselling with his partner, the second session of which was due to take place on Monday afternoon.

An Irish contract would help Reece provide for his family, she noted, and the club had a strict culture when it came to alcohol.

"It does appear to me the victim has forgiven you. You have acknowledged you have a problem with alcohol and have been sober for three months."

Taking into account the mitigating factors, Judge Clark granted a discharge without conviction and fined him $750 to be paid within 28 days.

Old 9th July 2019, 06:41 AM   #57
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Can you please link to proof the law said she had it coming as the female judge who let him off decided this
And clearly by new zealand standards he did nothing wrong. I get it those are all fine and legal in new zealand and no one would even think about any of it if he wasn't famous. Disputes with facial bruises are just not a big deal in new zealand.
Old 9th July 2019, 06:45 AM   #58
Information Analyst
Philosopher

There also been a long history of "men don't hit women."

Quote:
You've obviously never been drinking in a British city on a Saturday night.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 04:27 PM   #59
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

I'm going to say something that's going to really upset people, but I just can't hold it in anymore. I am TIRED of the equivocating. In almost every case, a man assaulting a female is going to have more serious consequences - damage wise - than the reverse (unless the woman has a weapon of some kind, in which case the charge would surely be adjusted accordingly).

I've known men who were physically abused by women, one of whom is a long-time friend of mine.

That said, I'm going to have to side with isissxn on this one. All of the statistics, in the US at least, show that while both men and women do incite or escalate domestic violence equally, and women do tend to use weapons more often than men (mostly improvised), women are far more likely to suffer serious physical injury than men, due in large part to that physical size differential.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 04:33 PM   #60
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Even less than that in the US. Martial rape was not recognized as a crime by all 50 states until 1993; and there are state governments that are right now trying to overturn that legislation.

Marital rape is one of the most grossly under-reported forms of rape that exist; and many communities in the US still refused to recognize it socially, regardless of the legal status. Women who do report it are frequently marginalized or ostracized by their communities.

The situation may be better in NZ, but reading this thread I'm not convinced it's much better.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 10:44 PM   #61
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
... women are far more likely to suffer serious physical injury than men, due in large part to that physical size differential.
Correct, but I think the point is that FAM does happen and shouldn't be ignored.

The situation may be better in NZ, but reading this thread I'm not convinced it's much better.
You're probably right on that as well.
Old 10th July 2019, 12:44 AM   #62
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

You've obviously never been drinking in a British city on a Saturday night.
I have.... Birmhingam, Glasgow, Manchester, Leeds and Cardiff.

Be afraid.... be very afraid!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 12:47 AM   #63
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I have.... Birmhingam, Glasgow, Manchester, Leeds and Cardiff.

Be afraid.... be very afraid!
Can you go into details? Do you think that the violence exhibited by women upon men in those cities at those times makes up for centuries of systematic oppression and disenfranchisement?
Old 10th July 2019, 04:45 AM   #64
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

When it's been hundreds.
Can you go into details? Do you think that the violence exhibited by women upon men in those cities at those times makes up for centuries of systematic oppression and disenfranchisement?
I'll address all of your points

Yes, It's not just about the physical differences. It's about the cultural differences.

Yes, women have been systematically disenfranchised and repressed by men for literally centuries - probably thousands of years

Yes, you don't reverse that kind of cultural imbalance in just a few years

But you cannot reverse that cultural imbalance the way we have been trying to do it, by locking the perpetrators up and throwing away the key. One of the definitions of insanity (or stupidity) is doing something the same way over and over again and expecting a different result.

Well, we have tried punishing and punishing and punishing endlessly... IT . HAS . NOT . WORKED.
We have tried putting them in jail for long periods of time... IT . HAS . NOT . WORKED.

All we have succeeded in doing is throwing what could be otherwise good people on the scrap heap by sending them to Crime School, and you know what happens when you do that? You risk driving them into a life of crime. You might be creating a serious problem for all his future victims for the next few decades until he's caught, at which point you will cost the taxpayer hundreds of thousands of dollars to incarcerate him... good work!!

Some years ago, it was decided here that we needed to try a new approach, and I believe the one currently being used in New Zealand (and UK I believe) looks like its working. The resulting statistics could look counter intuitive; we have seen an increase in the reported incidences of domestic violence, but this is for the simple reason that by its very nature, the program results in people reporting domestic violence where they might not have before.. so in a sense, more reports are a good thing, so long as the actual number of incidents are decreasing..

Here are some of the ads run on NZ television (one I posted earlier). Some of them are over 10 years old, and still running, but as you said earlier, it is going to take a long time to change attitudes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poRjb4m8RXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQQFXUs2cDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyDIGVI4hNk
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2019, 06:03 PM   #65
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I agree with all of that.
Old 11th July 2019, 01:09 AM   #66
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I agree with all of that.
And here's one more thing I hope you will agree with. Domestic violence is intergenerational and comes in the form of a "cycle of violence and abuse".

Children who grow up being abused by their fathers (or mothers) are much more likely to become abusive parents themselves, and women who grew up being abused by their father are more likely to attract a mate who is abusive. Simply incarcerating the father does nothing to break that cycle. Taking the father out of the picture doesn't necessarily stop the abuse. To be effective in breaking that cycle, the whole family needs to be helped so that the link in the chain from past to future is broken at that point.
Old 11th July 2019, 01:19 AM   #67
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

And here's one more thing I hope you will agree with. Domestic violence is intergenerational and comes in the form of a "cycle of violence and abuse".

Children who grow up being abused by their fathers (or mothers) are much more likely to become abusive parents themselves, and women who grew up being abused by their father are more likely to attract a mate who is abusive. Simply incarcerating the father does nothing to break that cycle. Taking the father out of the picture doesn't necessarily stop the abuse. To be effective in breaking that cycle, the whole family needs to be helped so that the link in the chain from past to future is broken at that point.
I do agree with all of that.
Old 11th July 2019, 02:55 AM   #68
Information Analyst
Philosopher

I've known men who were physically abused by women, one of whom is a long-time friend of mine.

That said, I'm going to have to side with isissxn on this one. All of the statistics, in the US at least, show that while both men and women do incite or escalate domestic violence equally, and women do tend to use weapons more often than men (mostly improvised), women are far more likely to suffer serious physical injury than men, due in large part to that physical size differential.
What we know is that an aggressive person can inflict more damage on a non-aggressive person who is not fighting back, which isn't always the above.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 11th July 2019 at 03:02 AM.
Old 11th July 2019, 03:01 AM   #69
Information Analyst
Philosopher

I think that when an angry woman is smacking her boyfriend around the head for looking at another woman, those notions are far from their minds, if they were ever there in the first place.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 11th July 2019 at 03:03 AM.
Old 11th July 2019, 04:39 PM   #70
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Using a high heel to attack someone would be considered either an aggravated assault or an assault with a deadly weapon.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 04:40 PM   #71
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

And clearly by new zealand standards he did nothing wrong. I get it those are all fine and legal in new zealand and no one would even think about any of it if he wasn't famous. Disputes with facial bruises are just not a big deal in new zealand.
You really need to stop this sort of strawman postings.

Discharges without conviction mean no such thing.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:46 PM   #72
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
You really need to stop this sort of strawman postings.

Discharges without conviction mean no such thing.
Posting from a position of complete ignorance is rarely edifying!

Our local meditative testudinal diapsid clearly has no understanding that a person can be found guilty and discharged without conviction.

http://www.districtcourts.govt.nz/ab...ly-understood/

Last edited by smartcooky; 11th July 2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11th July 2019, 09:51 PM   #73
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Interesting this one

Steve Hansen is the All Blacks coach, which for those that don't know is our National rugby team. Rugby in NZ is pretty much a religion when it comes to sport.

Hence my avatar

Long story short domestic violence is one of the scourges here. It is up there in embarrassment for me with child abuse deaths.

A player admitted to it and was then picked for the team. Much anger insued.

Reporters questioned the coach about appropriateness and he said as an ex-cop having to deal with it, it can be both sexes... Now it is kicking off.

Personally think he is an idiot

Not for what he said as it is true. But because these days stating the bleedingly obvious ends up getting you in the **** and it just isn't worth the hassle having to deal with the overly sensitive.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...a-gender-thing
I suppose this Steve Hansen guy is an expert on domestic violence, right?

Oh, wait. He's an ex-cop, so that does make him an expert. An expert on harassing lower class people and minorities, and on the finer details of gas station food.

Last edited by Lambchops; 11th July 2019 at 09:58 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 10:00 PM   #74
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
Have no idea what you personally consider an expert

What I do know is he is an ex cop who spent years rocking up to deal with domestic violence most nights, sort it and clean up the aftermath, and saw trends.

Which would probably make him massively more expert than any posters on here.

Old 11th July 2019, 10:04 PM   #75
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Oh, wait. He's an ex-cop, so that does make him an expert. An expert on harassing lower class people and minorities, and on the finer details of gas station food.
Nice edit

But I am afraid all cops only do this in your head

Old 11th July 2019, 10:09 PM   #76
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Have no idea what you personally consider an expert

What I do know is he is an ex cop who spent years rocking up to deal with domestic violence most nights, sort it and clean up the aftermath, and saw trends.

Which would probably make him massively more expert than any posters on here.
You understand that most cops see what they want to see, right?

And that cops are much more likely to be domestic abusers themselves than pretty much any other occupation?
Old 11th July 2019, 10:09 PM   #77
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I see you missed the bit where he was charged and went to court

Old 11th July 2019, 10:10 PM   #78
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Nice edit

But I am afraid all cops only do this in your head
How can you be so old and still so naive?
Old 11th July 2019, 10:11 PM   #79
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You understand that most cops see what they want to see, right?

And that cops are much more likely to be domestic abusers themselves than pretty much any other occupation?
Irony alert

Old 11th July 2019, 10:12 PM   #80
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

How can you be so old and still so naive?

It comes from not being paranoid and thinking whole sections of my community are out to get me.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events