ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th July 2019, 09:55 AM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

I'm on a Government watch list and I can't find out why

I have done nothing illegal. Truthfinder has kicked me out of their website and overall I don't know whats going on.
Old 8th July 2019, 09:57 AM   #2
Scootch
Muse

I don't know either
Scootch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 09:57 AM   #3
autumn1971
Master Poster

What does this have to do with the US government?
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 09:59 AM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I'm mostly clueless, but this might not be trivial to figure out.
an investigative journalist might know how to go about inquiring.

out of curiosity: how did you find out?
That might give a clue about further research.
Old 8th July 2019, 10:09 AM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think the most reasonable explanation is that the OP is intended to create buzz about Truthfinder.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 10:11 AM   #6
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

How does having your Truthfinder account canceled equate to being on a government watch list?

Just who were you researching?
Old 8th July 2019, 10:16 AM   #7
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
How does having your Truthfinder account canceled equate to being on a government watch list?

Just who were you researching?
I think he's trying to say that he thinks he's on a watch list, but he can't get onto Truthfinder to research it.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 10:41 AM   #8
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

I am sure I am on a number of lists...
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 11:11 AM   #9
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think he's trying to say that he thinks he's on a watch list, but he can't get onto Truthfinder to research it.
I had a Truthfinder account and after they said I was on the government watch list they canceled my account.
Old 8th July 2019, 11:17 AM   #10
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
I am sure I am on a number of lists...
I never even met them but two gentlemen made frequent public announcements in the 80s that my kiss was on their list, on their list of the best things in life. As I was only 4 years old at the time I assume both of them ended up on some other kind of list themselves.
Old 8th July 2019, 11:24 AM   #11
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
I had a Truthfinder account and after they said I was on the government watch list they canceled my account.
This did not happen.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 11:57 AM   #12
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
This did not happen.
Perhaps a payment to Truthfinder would reveal the real reason as to why he's being blocked?

Last edited by Elagabalus; 8th July 2019 at 11:59 AM.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 01:04 PM   #13
plague311
Great minds think...

#ThoughtsAndPrayers

On a serious note, even if that is the case companies are allowed to refuse service to anyone as long as it's not based on a protected class. Turns out something you've done has raised a flag, and they don't want you hanging around.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 01:10 PM   #14
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
https://people.howstuffworks.com/gov...watch-list.htm
Old 8th July 2019, 01:51 PM   #15
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post

Speaks volumes ...

Quote:
Just like Santa Claus, the U.S. government has its own version of "the naughty list." But this one doesn't record boys and girls who fibbed or acted mean to schoolmates on the playground. Instead, the U.S. Government 's Consolidated Terrorist Watch List ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 01:56 PM   #16
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I never even met them but two gentlemen made frequent public announcements in the 80s that my kiss was on their list, on their list of the best things in life. As I was only 4 years old at the time I assume both of them ended up on some other kind of list themselves.
I hope the Gubermint isn't watching!
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 01:56 PM   #17
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

CaineKane1, it's probably something to do with something you posted right here at ISF.

Isn't there an ACLU suit, related to FOI act?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 01:57 PM   #18
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Was one named Epstein? And the other wore a silk glove on one hand?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 01:58 PM   #19
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
I hope the Gubermint isn't watching!
I always feel like somebody's watching meeeeeeee.
Old 8th July 2019, 02:09 PM   #20
Elagabalus
Illuminator

I have done nothing illegal. Truthfinder has kicked me out of their website and overall I don't know whats going on.
It appears that truthfinder requires a monthly fee. Did you realize this when you signed up? It might be the reason your account was canceled.

ETA: Otherwise masquerading as a Govenrment Agency is a Federal offense (see my post above).

Last edited by Elagabalus; 8th July 2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 8th July 2019, 02:55 PM   #21
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

I had no idea wtf OP was talking about, so I went to the site. I typed in my own name. It asked me some creepy questions. "Have you ever lived in [town I used to live in]? Are you related to [my mother's name]?" Then it pulled up my full name with an option to "Open Report." When I clicked that, a question popped up - "Have you ever committed a crime?" Uh, you tell me, website. Isn't that your purpose?

As much as I want to know just how creepy this thing gets, there is no way I'm answering that question.

So, I still have no idea what OP is talking about.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 03:18 PM   #22
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Had you clicked on have you ever committed a crime it would have warned you if you were.
Old 8th July 2019, 03:21 PM   #23
carlitos
"más divertido"

Spammy site selling spam to people who like spam.

carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 03:27 PM   #24
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Quick question: If government watch-lists are so damned secret, how do you know which, if any, you are on?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 03:28 PM   #25
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Truthfinder is not a site you want to go to. Not unless you want your computer searched.

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/t...rning-security

WOT - something you should have on your computer.
Old 8th July 2019, 05:21 PM   #26
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Had you clicked on have you ever committed a crime it would have warned you if you were.
I don't really trust the site, is all.

Also, I don't understand what the citation record I may or may not have has to do with secret government watchlists.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2019, 05:22 PM   #27
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Truthfinder is not a site you want to go to. Not unless you want your computer searched.

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/t...rning-security

WOT - something you should have on your computer.
Thank you, rjh01. Added to my extensions!

I guess the shady site people have a picture of my butt now, oh well.
Old 8th July 2019, 05:26 PM   #28
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

I read those reviews and I now believe OP is shilling this site! I also feel like an idiot. Good thing I don't do anything financial on this computer.

Cainkane1, what the hell are you trying to pull.
Old 8th July 2019, 05:42 PM   #29
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I have done nothing illegal.
Probably a lie.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 08:35 AM   #30
8enotto
Muse

My sister was questioned by the secret service because a friend left her Email open on a public use computer at a college, the next guy used it to send threats to GW Bush. All contacts were investigated.

The odd internet glitches she suffered afterwards stopped in the 2nd term of Obama. Her friend still has them.
Since then they only use farcebook so now nothing is private anyway.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 08:49 AM   #31
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
I read those reviews and I now believe OP is shilling this site! I also feel like an idiot. Good thing I don't do anything financial on this computer.

I wouldn't be too worried. As long as you run even a basic anti-virus it would catch most of this without a problem.

If you are worried just snag malwarebytes or spybot S&D. They can help clean everything up real fast.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 08:53 AM   #32
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post

It's just not his MO. I'd doubt very much he was shilling.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 09:45 AM   #33
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
It's just not his MO. I'd doubt very much he was shilling.
I should have added a winky-face, sorry. I don't think he was doing it intentionally or maliciously. I was kind of drunk when I made my post. I had the evening free, and since I've lost weight recently, the wine I decided to have hit me harder than I was expecting. Sorry!

I did some googling, and it seems as though this is a common tactic the Truthfinder site uses to frighten/entice people into paying for "full reports." There are many Reddit threads and consumer site reviews with people panicking because something to the effect of "THIS PERSON IS ON A GOVERNMENT WATCHLIST" popped up when the site was supposedly scanning databases for their names. Just a typical scare tactic to get money. A few of the reviewers say they actually did pay, and of course nothing about watchlists was actually there in their results. Then the site kept charging their cards monthly fees.

I'm still not sure what he meant by it deleted his account. I didn't get far enough to give them an email or anything. But there's definitely nothing to it.
Old 9th July 2019, 11:10 AM   #34
Planigale
Illuminator

This happened to me once, every time I re-entered the country I would be interviewed; the curious thing was they were uninterested in my luggage they never searched it just questioned me about where I was and what I had done. I assumed it was because I am of Pakistani/Indian ethnicity, so one time I got angry and said is this just because I'm asian? After a long pause the guy said ' I can't tell you officially but a batch of passports were forged, if you get a new passport this won't happen again.' I did so and it never happened again.

ETA

Actually I may be making up the forged bit, I think he just said that if I got a new passport it would not happen again, I may have assumed that my passport had been duplicated or some such.

Last edited by Planigale; 9th July 2019 at 11:13 AM.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 11:15 AM   #35
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

I knew an individual that somehow ended up on the no-fly list that was the owner of a logistics company that was a contractor to the DoD. A very big contactor, world-wide.

His clean record and long history with the DoD had no bearing on his status and he spent a few years trying to work things out.

He eventually was removed from the list. No explanation. Best guess is his name corresponded to some IRA player.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 11:22 AM   #36
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I had a college professor who had the same name as a known terrorist so he always got extra searched. The ridiculous part is that his name is pretty damn common, being David Nelson.
Old 9th July 2019, 11:44 AM   #37
Faydra
sinning sybarite

Years ago, my cousin fell in love with a man who was wanted by the FBI.

They fled from Oregon to our house in California, but my father found out and said "turn yourself in or leave".

So, he turned himself in. I was there when the FBI came and got him.

To this day I have no idea what he was wanted FOR.
Faydra is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 12:08 PM   #38
plague311
Great minds think...

Oh snap, I just found out I'm on a government list. It's the list to get in the dance club!!!

*raises the roof*

Old 9th July 2019, 12:15 PM   #39
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

5 bucks says this all traces back to a banner ad that Cain clicked on.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2019, 12:56 PM   #40
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I had a college professor who had the same name as a known terrorist so he always got extra searched. The ridiculous part is that his name is pretty damn common, being David Nelson.
I knew Ozzie and Harriet were too lily white to be true. Moles?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events